Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only watched his games at the Copa and some all-touches compilations but comparing his time between the 2 clubs, it looks like he was asked to play it more safe with PSG and shift out wide when PSG have the ball in the opponent's half. That doesn't seem to suit him as much.

At United, he will be expected to play more like he did with Sporting. Fast, all-action midfielder with an eye for a quick direct pass. Copa games were generally slow paced and there were times BIelsa had him sit deep and play as the 3rd CB, which he also did very well.
I wonder why PSG didnt try him in the #8 role ahead of Vitinha in the #6. Or did they because I havent seen a lot of PSG post their CL exit.

If we ever move back to a 4-3-3, its something we will have to ponder as well, because Ugarte is not really a player for the single pivot. In a 4-3-3, he will play the Herrera/Fred role.

All I want to know is will he be signed in time to play against the scousers and break some legs :devil:

Which is why we should have spent the extra 10m and gave him hit the ground running to start the season. We’re already in a hole, and all we’re trying to accomplish this season is top four.
Not sure I agree. Of course ideally we have everyone signed up as soon as possible, but not to the detriment of our finances.

Not sure I agree. Of course ideally we have everyone signed up as soon as possible, but not to the detriment of our finances.

If they ask for 60m and you negotiate it down to 50+10 with a sell on clause, did you actually gain much other than being able to claim that you negotiated a better deal?

I guess it depends on the nature of the add ons but in a lot of scenarios the add ons plus sell on will be roughly as valuable as 10m more fixed.

Thought he was due in to Manchester today for a medical? None of the usual airport/carrington sightings?

I wonder why PSG didnt try him in the #8 role ahead of Vitinha in the #6. Or did they because I havent seen a lot of PSG post their CL exit.

If we ever move back to a 4-3-3, its something we will have to ponder as well, because Ugarte is not really a player for the single pivot. In a 4-3-3, he will play the Herrera/Fred role.

Because Vitinha is better.

If they ask for 60m and you negotiate it down to 50+10 with a sell on clause, did you actually gain much other than being able to claim that you negotiated a better deal?

I guess it depends on the nature of the add ons but in a lot of scenarios the add ons plus sell on will be roughly as valuable as 10m more fixed.
A €10m saving is not to be sniffed at. I'd much prefer we negotiate a deal we are happy with than just flat out accept whatever the selling club are demanding.

Even if true, I don't think ETH will let that impact how he uses Ugarte. He wanted rid of Maguire and McT last season, yet ended up using them. I don't think we'll see a situation where Ugarte is struggling for minutes because ETH is pissed we have him instead of McT
I'm not a huge fan of ETH but you have to acknowledge the right attitude does win him over. Ugarte will have no trouble in that regard.

Serious question, why isn't ETH under pressure to at least compete for the league? Feels like he's been given more backing than he could've dreamed.
Are you expecting Slot to genuinely compete for the league this season? City and Arsenal are miles ahead. It's not realistic. I'd like us to get 3rd ideally but based on the start to the season I'm expecting 4th to be our ceiling.

Muppetiers :lol: Seriously

If you believe them, you literally will believe anything. The same people are probably falling for the grandparent scam, even though they are not even grandparents

Agree. I would expect that to be the case if/when we get a Carrick at #6, with Mainoo and Ugarte completing the trio. Bruno would be 30+ so contributing but never the player who we should build around.

Don't see ETH doing that, mind.

Serious question, why isn't ETH under pressure to at least compete for the league? Feels like he's been given more backing than he could've dreamed.

Because the new owners recognised they had inherited a mess, and therefore publicly stated they thought it would be two or three years before were competing for major trophies.

It's fine saying "he's been backed", but when he's been backed via a recruitment set-up the new owners deem dysfunctional then that backing is of little value from their perspective.

Not really, he’s really not a No8 able to play box to box.
He’s basically a midfield destroyer who plays it safe and doesn’t carry a lot. He may develop into a box to box but from what I’ve seen it’s not really his strongest suit.
To me the obvious and realistic improvement we can expect of him is to be more comfortable in his passing and when under pressure, but if anything I think he’ll slot between or besides the defenders when building from the back as it would be too risky to have him as the receiver when trying to build from the back under pressure.

If PSR rules forced our hand so be it, but if paying the higher fee means nothing more than less money for the Glazers to bathe in but having the player in summer training and fit for the first two PL matches of the season, it would have been worth every penny.

As it stands now it's inconceivable that Ugarte will start against Liverpool and with those three dropped points -- assuming that Ugarte makes all the difference in our midfield to begin with -- we're deep in the hole after just three matches.

Quite annoying that all our new signings including Ugarte haven’t really had a pre season but surely there fit, Ugarte played in all of Uruguays games in the copa.

If PSR rules forced our hand so be it, but if paying the higher fee means nothing more than less money for the Glazers to bathe in but having the player in summer training and fit for the first two PL matches of the season, it would have been worth every penny.

As it stands now it's inconceivable that Ugarte will start against Liverpool and with those three dropped points -- assuming that Ugarte makes all the difference in our midfield to begin with -- we're deep in the hole after just three matches.
I get the impression that recent sales have allowed us to structure the Ugarte deal in a way that we would prefer. Until recently, I assume it would have been a loan with obligation. What is now €10m in possible add ons, may well have been a guaranteed €10m as a loan fee.

I wouldn't assume that Ugarte is the difference between a win and a defeat.

Ok, I don't know how good this guy is but let's see how this goes, and good luck to him. But what will be the midfield? Casimero is on way out? Or does Ugarte sit on the bench? Or Mainoo?

Hope we play Casimero AND Ugarte. That would make everything more stable. Put De Ligt and Licha behind them. That's a wall! Then Mainoo and Fernandez can be able to roam further up the pitch.

:lol:

It's almost certainly nonsense.

If it is true, we truly are screwed if we have a manager that thought Scott Mctominay was integral to his plans of winning us the league and CL.

But I'm going to assume it's fabricated for my own sanity at least.

I don't reall see how it matters if that's true?

Ten Hag not getting everything he wants is the entire point of having this recruitment structure in place. Their job is to know better than him when it comes to recruitment.

And while he might not have been too keen on Ugarte, he obviously didn't have so big an issue with it that he was willing to use the veto he reportedly still has in place. Which is there to stop the recruitment team pushing deals he's completely unhappy with on him.

This reads like the process working as it should, dressed in language to make it sound like a problem. If it's even true, which it might obviously not be.

Do you think he should be?
I think he's been backed enough that he should be aiming for higher than top four in his third season. Maybe a title challenge like ours that doesn't quite make it.
Are you expecting Slot to genuinely compete for the league this season? City and Arsenal are miles ahead. It's not realistic. I'd like us to get 3rd ideally but based on the start to the season I'm expecting 4th to be our ceiling.
Slot's not been given any backing so far so maintaining our top four spot is what I hope for.

To compete/challenge for league title would required at least 85 points, totally unrealistic to expect for a team in transition and rebuilding and such backing was required regardless of manager.

With the money spent /changes made Jim Ratcliffe and Co will be seeking Champions league football from next season so that it itself will be pressure on Ten Hag as will be no easy task for a team that finished 8th last season to now finish at least 4th or to win the Europa league.

The Neves deal was that 60m plus a player like Sanches so really closer to 80m value wise
On loan, with an option to buy.

Sanches also spent last season on loan at Roma, who chose not to buy him for €15 million after he seemed to have a disappointing time there. He's not a prized asset for PSG, though he may have more value to Benfica given he started his career there.

Anyways, Neves had a release clause of €120 million but Benfica, who are notoriously difficult negotiators, accepted an offer of almost half that. It's just a surprising deal given how highly-rated Neves is and how many clubs across Europe were looking for a midfielder this summer, yet PSG seemingly had a free run at him at a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.