Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ten Hag was reluctant to lose McTominay and needed to be persuaded that letting him go was a necessary evil. I can also believe that McTominay wasn't particularly interested in Everton or Fulham.

Not exactly far fetched.
The best lies usually sprinkle in an element of truth.

That ten Hag was reluctant to lose McTominay and needed to be persuaded that letting him go was a necessary evil. I can also believe that McTominay wasn't particularly interested in Everton or Fulham.

Not exactly far fetched.
Saying McTominay not being interested in Everton or Fulham after the fact isn't exactly offering any insight.

A month ago he said he club and Ten Hag were happy to sell at right price - now all of a sudden there is a disagreement?

Ugarte has been a target for the whole window and now we're about to sign him, he reports Ten Hag didn't want him?

"Pray for Rodri" is trending on Twitter because of Ugarte :lol:

I love the shamelessness of some fans, unironically

Sounds very plausible to me. Not sure why everyone is so dismissive.
Not dismissing it outright but certainly cynical about it and will adopt a wait-and-see approach. ETH press conferences should be revealing. Also, Ugarte not featuring heavily until end Sep is to be expected IMHO because the role is demanding and requires a lot of tactical knowledge of our system. So don't just believe the media and influencer gossip if that happens.

Saying McTominay not being interested in Everton or Fulham after the fact isn't exactly offering any insight.

A month ago he said he club and Ten Hag were happy to sell at right price - now all of a sudden there is a disagreement?

Ugarte has been a target for the whole window and now we're about to sign him, he reports Ten Hag didn't want him?
He didn't say it after the fact. It was said weeks ago.

I believe there was disagreement. However, it has since been resolved and reluctantly ten Hag has accepted that McTominay could go at the right price.

Ten Hag would have been perfectly content to keep McTominay and sign Amrabat.

That's a lot of money ETH has had to spend now. What's the minimum expectation for him this season? Trophy and top four?

Signing makes sense. United had a huge hole in midfield last season.

Not dismissing it outright but certainly cynical about it and will adopt a wait-and-see approach. ETH press conferences should be revealing. Also, Ugarte not featuring heavily until end Sep is to be expected IMHO because the role is demanding and requires a lot of tactical knowledge of our system. So don't just believe the media and influencer gossip if that happens.
There's a chance that Ugarte makes the bench against Liverpool. I assume he will get minutes throughout September and the only reason he might not feature heavily straight away is because of his lack of pre season.

I think the idea that Ugarte has been a club target and Ten Hag wasn't sure has been said by reliable journalist too. Pretty sure one of Anka or Whitwell said it on Talk of the Devils.

Not sure the idea that ten Hag was a huge fan of McTominay's is anything other than common knowledge either. In fact, I think it's widely reported that he would have been kept but wasn't happy with the role being suggested.

ITK or not (and let's be honest probably not) that narrative could be cobbled together from reliable journos as well. In fact, I suspect that's what the Muppetiers people did.

I think you could play them as a dbl pivot with Mainoo ahead of them for this sesson. It would mean dropping Bruno or playing him false 9 but maybe that is the future.

Yes, I prefer to have Bruno as false 9 with Mount pressing upfront with him and drop Mainoo. Garnacho/Rashford/Amad on the wings. I would like to see us press more upfront and have more legs there. This means Bruno and Mount should not come deep and let the build up come from Casemiro/Ugarte/Licha

There's a chance that Ugarte makes the bench against Liverpool. I assume he will get minutes throughout September and the only reason he might not feature heavily straight away is because of his lack of pre season.
There's that but it is certainly not the only reason, let alone the main reason. Same as when Casemiro joined. He'll need time to adapt.

I'm really looking forward to watch him play, specially alongside Mainoo and Bruno. Maybe they can finally do more of what they are best at (create chances) without having to worry too much about their DM being out of position or being to slow to track back(looking at you older Casemiro). Also might give our defence proper protection as well.

Ugarte won't be starting much this season then if that is true....

If this is true then i do not trust ETH`s judgement at all.

He will probably play Casemiro instead of him in spite now the bald madman.

Assuming what was written in the tweet is correct.

He doesn't have the luxury of not playing Ugarte. Our performance levels are falling off from a cliff after 70 minutes, like we are a championship team due to Mainoo's age and inability to complete 90 minutes with the same running tempo, and then, Casemiro and Bruno's Hollywood passing when he needs to slow down the game. You cant win games if your midfield can't run back, no matter how talented you are. Unless Ten Hag is so daft, and trying to show one to the hierarchy, he will play him.

Klopp did not want Salah either, so you see how that turned out. We need running legs, desperately, and I'm glad he got outvoted on this.

Wtf, ETH rating McT?? He now has a young proper DM yet didn't want him?
I think it's worth contextualizing this a little. It's fair to say that when our current squad is fit - ETH almost never starts Mctominay in any combination of tactical approaches. The most common tactical approach for how ETH uses Mctominay can be thought of in a couple of dimensions: primarily as a substitute from the 70 min+ mark, and as a utility player who serves a couple of key tactical functions:
  • To provide athleticism and power when out of possession, particularly defending set pieces (which we are already notoriously poor at winning first and second balls)
  • To provide a goal threat by crashing the box with conviction
  • To your point - it’s worth noting that he is almost never deployed as an actual DM (this is purely my eye test, but happy to be shown alternative data points)
I suspect that apart from the tactical utility that ETH sees in Mctominay, there are probably some less tangible elements for which he is valued - primarily in terms of “soft” attributes like strong character, fighting mentality, probably a very hard trainer – all of which raise the bar for squad culture, which is a key problem that ETH has historically identified and publicly articulated. I think this is probably corroborated by how other coaches have spoken of Mctominay and valued him from a squad building perspective (e.g., Jose and Ole), particularly in the context of a squad that has often been called weak-willed and lacking in strong character.

In those respects, I think Ugarte, while athletic across the midfield third, does not really impact both boxes in the way Mctominay is typically leveraged tactically. I can understand why ETH is reluctant to lose that option - even if I don’t personally agree with it. That said, all signs point to Ugarte also being a strong character with fighting attributes, so hopefully this is a signing that will continue to build on the cultural aspect of the squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09
Wtf, ETH rating McT?? He now has a young proper DM yet didn't want him?
Not sure if true but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. I was expecting a something totally different from Ten Hag but instead got a completely shite version of Jurgen Klopp with none of the charisma.

He didn't say it after the fact. It was said weeks ago.

I believe there was disagreement. However, it has since been resolved and reluctantly ten Hag has accepted that McTominay could go at the right price.

Ten Hag would have been perfectly content to keep McTominay and sign Amrabat.
Not really, here's what he was saying at the start of august:

He's clearly trying to get his own spin on the latest news, but if he's never brought this up until now, it can't have been that big of a deal a month ago when the conversation would have happened.

Not really, here's what he was saying at the start of august:

He's clearly trying to get his own spin on the latest news, but if he's never brought this up until now, it can't have been that big of a deal a month ago when the conversation would have happened.

I think it was resolved a while ago. Most likely the difference of opinion came quite early in the window.

That's a lot of money ETH has had to spend now. What's the minimum expectation for him this season? Trophy and top four?

Should be. The squad is certainly good enough to be getting top 4 and winning the Europa League. Missing out on both would definitely warrant a sacking

Perform like a team who deserves to finish top 4, show control and balance in games, etc.

Should be. The squad is certainly good enough to be getting top 4 and winning the Europa League. Missing out on both would definitely warrant a sacking

Perform like a team who deserves to finish top 4, show control and balance in games, etc.
Serious question, why isn't ETH under pressure to at least compete for the league? Feels like he's been given more backing than he could've dreamed.

I'm really looking forward to watch him play, specially alongside Mainoo and Bruno. Maybe they can finally do more of what they are best at (create chances) without having to worry too much about their DM being out of position or being to slow to track back(looking at you older Casemiro). Also might give our defence proper protection as well.

In theory that actually sounds like a well-balanced three. Good lord.

Which is why we should have spent the extra 10m and gave him hit the ground running to start the season. We’re already in a hole, and all we’re trying to accomplish this season is top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.