Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big question will be is he a square peg in a round hole (a number 8 that we're bringing in to play as a number 6) but his quality as a footballer isn't in question. Statistically in the top 2% of ball winning midfielders.

On loan, with an option to buy.

Sanches also spent last season on loan at Roma, who chose not to buy him for €15 million after he seemed to have a disappointing time there. He's not a prized asset for PSG, though he may have more value to Benfica given he started his career there.

Anyways, Neves had a release clause of €120 million but Benfica, who are notoriously difficult negotiators, accepted an offer of almost half that. It's just a surprising deal given how highly-rated Neves is and how many clubs across Europe were looking for a midfielder this summer, yet PSG seemingly had a free run at him at a very good price.
Those 100+ fees or clauses are unrealistic this summer. They might not next summer and maybe Neves could have stayed fit and done as good a season ?

Sanches has been stalling at PSG / loans but he is known quantity at Benfica ai they're probably hoping they should get the most of him.

Plus PSG paid a good fee for G.Ramos and Mendes is probably greased all ways to Sunday with those deals.

No doubt they did enjoy first dibs on it.

Concerned about this, hopefully this is not true. We have to be signing players to help ten Hag perform, not players he doesn’t want. I’m not sure how much intel he’d have on Ugarte, he’s never managed him or hasn’t managed against him aside from a couple of Ajax v Sporting games.
The club needs an identity of play/trademark and keep improving with the identity in mind. Even future managers and football director should have an agreement of the clubs idea of football so we dont get these 200m summers and massive overhaul for each summer.

The big question will be is he a square peg in a round hole (a number 8 that we're bringing in to play as a number 6) but his quality as a footballer isn't in question. Statistically in the top 2% of ball winning midfielders.
No, it's the opposite. He is certainly a 6 - played there for Sporting, played there for PSG, and plays there for Uruguay. But he moved to an elite team and has been replaced after one season at the club, so the question has to be around his true quality surely.

Ugarte was never a #8. He was a #6 at Sporting and at PSG. And he has been brought in here to do the same job.

No, it's the opposite. He is certainly a 6 - played there for Sporting, played there for PSG, and plays there for Uruguay. But he moved to an elite team and has been replaced after one season at the club, so the question has to be around his true quality surely.

There are plenty of examples of where quality players just haven't been fancied by managers. Hopefully that's the case here

I take it he's a Casemiro replacement?
never seen him play. Youtube highlights make him look like a seriously good tackler and anticipator, a la Michael Carrick.

is he the same type of player?

His stats and his defensive game is very close to Kante. So the Caf is telling me that they won’t sign prime Kante?

His stats and his defensive game is very close to Kante. So the Caf is telling me that they won’t sign prime Kante?
No?

Are you suggesting PSG would sell prime Kante for £50m?

I take it he's a Casemiro replacement?
never seen him play. Youtube highlights make him look like a seriously good tackler and anticipator, a la Michael Carrick.

is he the same type of player?
Feels more like he is the player that we wanted Casemiro to be. A sheild to the back four that gives the creative players their freedom. Turns out Casemiro was an excellent #8 up until his rapid decline during the second season. And with the emergence of Mainoo, another #8, we find ourselves back to square one where we need that number 6 since maybe Matic.
Next season I feel will be the search for a 8 and wingers/strikers.

Feels more like he is the player that we wanted Casemiro to be. A sheild to the back four that gives the creative players their freedom. Turns out Casemiro was an excellent #8 up until his rapid decline during the second season. And with the emergence of Mainoo, another #8, we find ourselves back to square one where we need that number 6 since maybe Matic.
He should start infront of / or with Casemiro for sure

He should start infront of / or with Casemiro for sure
Agreed. I think rotating Case, Mainoo, and maybe Mount for the 8 is good enough with Ugarte. Would at the very least stop these last min pressure from opponents when our mids lose any energy to cover ground and pressure.

PSG selling him doesn’t diminish his stats or defensive game. And if he is like kante then what’s the problem?
:lol: The problem is it proves he isn't like Kante because no team in the world would let prime Kante go.

:lol: The problem is it proves he isn't like Kante because no team in the world would let prime Kante go.
Teams sell players that aren’t working at that particular club that go on to be class. I’m sure you can think of a few examples yourself

Hoping that his extremely high levels of winning the ball back will equate to Mainoo and Bruno receiving the ball on the break higher up the pitch and in more favorable positions to create danger. There is also the mental side of things where opposition should be less likely to ramp up momentum and confidence while playing in United’s own half if there’s a hound busting a lung to hunt them down and retrieve possession.

Praying that he proves to be transformative, by all accounts Wilcox and the new football focused non coaching staff INEOS have brought in all seem hellbent on bringing this guy in.

That’s a silly argument. So you judge players on the basis of clubs selling them. How naive :lol: Clubs sell players due to many factors. Can’t believe I’m explaining that. Robben? Pffft. If he’s that great why would Madrid sell him, eh?

Have many midfielders excelled at PSG? Veratti was okay for a bit, but certainly never met his potential. Soler was an exciting young player that’s been wasted there. Lo Celso, Parades, Renato Sanches. They’ve been shocking with midfielders - let’s just focus on the positives, he’s a solid player who’s escaping that shite club at a young age.

Cheers

He's not like Kante
I’m sure there was some comparison chart in this thread I think which showed his defensive game is close to Kante. Also, Raees video on him showed some similar comparisons between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.