Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels more like he is the player that we wanted Casemiro to be. A sheild to the back four that gives the creative players their freedom. Turns out Casemiro was an excellent #8 up until his rapid decline during the second season. And with the emergence of Mainoo, another #8, we find ourselves back to square one where we need that number 6 since maybe Matic.
Next season I feel will be the search for a 8 and wingers/strikers.

That's really not his strong suit though, he's far better at defending forward and will be too often caught out of position if he's supposed to shield the back four. Being a lone 6 won't do him any favour, it's not his best position. In my opinion, he's far more suited for a double pivot formation.

He's regularly compared to Kante because he's that seek-and-destroy style DM. But it's a comparison that if bought into too much will set you up for disappointment, because he's nowhere near as good as Kante.

That said, it's worth noting that at Ugarte's age Kante still had a full season left in France before he moved to the PL. Ugarte is still quite young for a DM.

Have many midfielders excelled at PSG? Veratti was okay for a bit, but certainly never met his potential. Soler was an exciting young player that’s been wasted there. Lo Celso, Parades, Renato Sanches. They’ve been shocking with midfielders - let’s just focus on the positives, he’s a solid player who’s escaping that shite club at a young age.
Obviously they have, yes. Verratti clearly did, along with Motta and Matuidi. Vitinha was the best midfielder I watched last season, he replaced Ugarte (positionally) as the season went on and was PSG's best player.

It was merely a response to post I disagreed with. I think Ugarte is the right kind of player to bring in and expect him to be a good compliment for Mainoo and much better than Casemiro.

I’m sure there was some comparison chart in this thread I think which showed his defensive game is close to Kante. Also, Raees video on him showed some similar comparisons between them.
Yes, one person made a video comparing him to Kante based on one facet of his game.

Tim Vickery was more accurate in his assessment comparing him to Mascherano. Kante was a lot more than just a ball winner.

That's really not his strong suit though, he's far better at defending forward and will be too often caught out of position if he's supposed to shield the back four. Being a lone 6 won't do him any favour, it's not his best position. In my opinion, he's far more suited for a double pivot formation.
Casemiro can accommodate that

He is extremely positionally disciplined when his side is in possession, in that sense it is exactly what he excels at. Ugarte can still be a 6 beside an 8 in a double pivot.

Always love me a CM signing! Good profile, good age. Probably not a ETH pick though, so no idea if he'll be able to utilise him.

Yes, one person made a video comparing him to Kante based on one facet of his game.

Tim Vickery was more accurate in his assessment comparing him to Mascherano. Kante was a lot more than just a ball winner.
Hell, I would take Mascherano then if that’s what he’s really like. And yes I do know kante was more than just a ball winner that’s why I specifically said Ugarte’s defensive game reminds me of him. His tackles, interceptions might not be as clean as Kante but they are very high. On top of that, he’s a tireless worker too which wasn’t Mascherano’s game but has similarities with Kante imo. By the way i must add I rate Kante higher than Ugarte of course.

His stats and his defensive game is very close to Kante. So the Caf is telling me that they won’t sign prime Kante?

Hell, I would take Mascherano then if that’s what he’s really like. And yes I do know kante was more than just a ball winner that’s why I specifically said Ugarte’s defensive game reminds me of him. His tackles, interceptions might not be as clean as Kante but they are very high. On top of that, he’s a tireless worker too which wasn’t Mascherano’s game but has similarities with Kante imo. By the way i must add I rate Kante higher than Ugarte of course.
Its more the bold bit above. Being a ball winner that's as good as Kante was doesn't make a player Kante.

Kante was a very very good ball carrier as well. Mascherano was awesome and probably a better comparison in style. It would be great if Ugarte was like him, even by way of ball carrying or composure he was quite good.

He's regularly compared to Kante because he's that seek-and-destroy style DM. But it's a comparison that if bought into too much will set you up for disappointment, because he's nowhere near as good as Kante.

That said, it's worth noting that at Ugarte's age Kante still had a full season left in France before he moved to the PL. Ugarte is still quite young for a DM.

The bigger point IMO is that Kante wasn't a DM at all, he was really an all action 8 that excelled as a ball winner but also had underrated technical ability.

Kante was much better than Ugarte but he would not have worked as a DM in a three man midfield alongside two more offensively inclined players. This was one reason Lampard could never manage to get the midfield balance right at Chelsea. He kept trying to play Kante alongside two of Kovacic/Mount/Havertz and it never worked. The partners Kante has worked well with are sitting ball players like Matic and Jorginho.

He is extremely positionally disciplined when his side is in possession, in that sense it is exactly what he excels at. Ugarte can still be a 6 beside an 8 in a double pivot.

Beside a 8 in a double pivot yes, as a central DM I don't think so at the highest level. Or a least it wasn't the case at PSG but he still has room for improvement.

:lol:

It's almost certainly nonsense.

If it is true, we truly are screwed if we have a manager that thought Scott Mctominay was integral to his plans of winning us the league and CL.

But I'm going to assume it's fabricated for my own sanity at least.

I wouldn't be surprised Ten Hag has an irrational love for McTominay.

Its more the bold bit above. Being a ball winner that's as good as Kante was doesn't make a player Kante.
I meant prime Kante as in purely in defensive actions, not to mention I rate Kante higher than Ugarte in that too that’s why I mentioned close to kante in the previous line. Hope that clears it up.

I really believe he will be very useful and a fan favorite from day one. Long time since we had proper energy in midfield and someone who get's stuck in with a decent chance to actually win a tackle

Does he play alongside Casimero or Mainoo, or alongside both?

Could someone who knows his game explain. Thanks.

The bigger point IMO is that Kante wasn't a DM at all, he was really an all action 8 that excelled as a ball winner but also had underrated technical ability.
Who was the DM at Leicester? Drinkwater? Andy king?

Status
Not open for further replies.