Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, Toby Collyer was doing that in pre-season. I mean it's good to play it safe at the right time.
Collyer will get his chance. He may even push Ugarte out but it's on him to do so now. I hope he does as it will mean another homegrown starting midfielder.

If we can actually get a decent (at worst) DM for the next 5 years, something we have missed since Keane, then £50m will be a bargain

If he does a decent job for us for 5+ years, then he can be a decent deal at 42m. But if this makes it harder or impossible for us to get Wharton next summer, then this deal will have set us back in reality. I don't know if that's the case or not, I'm leaning towards no, as our net spend isn't that high for this summer and we've made a lot of good sales that will massively help with PSR/FFP.

If we can actually get a decent (at worst) DM for the next 5 years, something we have missed since Keane, then £50m will be a bargain
And the guys only 23 years old. His best years haven’t come yet.

Could this be the flight?

nSiRT0h.png

Yep, he has good, average and poor games. A balanced perspective is nice to have.
It is pretty funny that somebody decided to use that game to try and highlight his good qualtities though :lol:

Presumably there were plenty of good games to chose from. Hell, BvB if you want to a CL game, he was pretty good on the ball in that one

Also who gives a feck how much you paid, seriously. As long as the club isn't leveraging its future for him, it's fecking irrelevant to you

If he's good you could have paid 200M and you'd be happy. If he's crap you'd be mad if you paid 20M. It's not your money being spent

For the folks that wanted this seasons shiny thing (Neves)

Good chance he’s available after PSG tire of him in a year

Looking at other DMs this window for comparison :

£50m Joao Neves (19)
£50m Onana (22)
£43m Paulinha (29)
£42m Ugarte (23)
£27m Matts Weifer (24)
£17m Fofana (25)

PSG fans say he was amazing for the first 2 months (talk of building statues etc) and then fell off completely after that, they seem very happy with the sale.

Also who gives a feck how much you paid, seriously. As long as the club isn't leveraging its future for him, it's fecking irrelevant to you

If he's good you could have paid 200M and you'd be happy. If he's crap you'd be mad if you paid 20M. It's not your money being spent
I used to think exactly like this too. Until our spending seems severely hamstrung by high-profile, high-cost mistakes like Antony, Sancho and to a certain extent, Maguire, it all becomes relevant.

Now we have a really good midfield imo. 3 good midfielders who can play with one another in a double pivot and have a varying range of skillsets.
This reminds me a bit of the Chelsea 20/21 midfield with Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante. All offering different things, whilst providing the legs needed to have a successful campaign in multiple competitions.

My feeling with Casemiro is that he still has so much to offer, but may not have the legs to cover as much defensive ground, and for as long as he used to. One area where we have failed at United over the last few years is our understanding of the importance of depth. Depth is what allowed Scholes and Giggs to go one for as long as they did, providing impactful quality performances. Without Fletcher, Anderson or Carrick; Scholes may not have last nearly as long as he did. The same thing goes for Giggs, with Nani, Park and Ronaldo. For the last few years, Madrid have also benefited from this, being able to call on Kroos and Modric when needed, without needing to use them in every game since the quality didn't drop when they didn't play.

For me, even in the 90's and 2000's, what really seperated us from Arsenal was the fact that Fergie understood the importance of squad management to challenge on different fronts. Wenger's Arsenal only really started truly challenging United again once they started understanding the need to have players like Edu and Wiltord to ensure consistency. This is a lesson Chelsea, Liverpool and City have also understood, but a massive area in which United have consistently undervalued since Fergie's departure. If one injury can derail your ability to play good football, then you aren't a good team.

What we now have, in midfielder, flanks, up front or defence are players of good quality challenging each other for a starting position. With the hope that in future, failure to perform will come with immediate replacement, but a maintenance in standard.

In regard to Ugarte, for many years at United, we've struggled with physicality the ability to recover the ball in midfield. Even when we had McFred, we could run with teams, but constantly struggled to tackle and regain possession. Here we have a master of his craft, who has decent technical ability, is press resistant and that is good at short passing. Given the intensity of the league, he would fit perfectly for us. In fact, I actually think the general unwillingness to play long passes will actually help us retain possession a lot better than we currently do. It would actually help in speeding up play in the first third, where we sometimes tend to dilly dally. Where, in the past, we had Pogba, who had a great passing range and dribbling ability, always taking space and time to make decisions, slowing down play and costing us in possession. Here we have a decisive player who makes quick decisions, whilst also having the added value of being able to regain possession better than almost anyone in the game.

We now have to put the same competitive pressure on the manager to make sure he is able to perform at a high level given the level of talent available to him. No patience required, just an expectation of good performances on the pitch.

PSG fans say he was amazing for the first 2 months (talk of building statues etc) and then fell off completely after that, they seem very happy with the sale.
I've only watched his games at the Copa and some all-touches compilations but comparing his time between the 2 clubs, it looks like he was asked to play it more safe with PSG and shift out wide when PSG have the ball in the opponent's half. That doesn't seem to suit him as much.

At United, he will be expected to play more like he did with Sporting. Fast, all-action midfielder with an eye for a quick direct pass. Copa games were generally slow paced and there were times BIelsa had him sit deep and play as the 3rd CB, which he also did very well.

Concerned about this, hopefully this is not true. We have to be signing players to help ten Hag perform, not players he doesn’t want. I’m not sure how much intel he’d have on Ugarte, he’s never managed him or hasn’t managed against him aside from a couple of Ajax v Sporting games.

€10M. We offered €35M they wanted €60. Compromised at €50. Overpaid €5M.
We were willing to pay £42m (€50m) total even in July which is what we are paying up front. It’s the €10m in adds ons that’s extra BUT even that is better cause PSG wanted €60m up front.

Exactly. This is the sort of stuff I was hoping to see from Wilcox and the new INEOS team, not letting EtH having his way with every incoming and outgoing player.
In my view it’s providing more excuses when ETH doesn’t perform, and we will be back at square one next Summer having to replace players ETH never wanted with better players to help the coach.

Concerned about this, hopefully this is not true. We have to be signing players to help ten Hag perform, not players he doesn’t want. I’m not sure how much intel he’d have on Ugarte, he’s never managed him or hasn’t managed against him aside from a couple of Ajax v Sporting games.
He has spent over £500m to get the players he wanted and we are no closer to even having a system of play. My guess is Ugarte lasts longer in this club than EtH does and our executives have a job to build the team for the future no matter who the coach is.

In my view it’s providing more excuses when ETH doesn’t perform, and we will be back at square one next Summer having to replace players ETH never wanted with better players to help the coach.

I highly doubt he’ll be here next season.

If you look at the interactions between Ruud and ETH at the weekend I think Ruud was more frustrated the Erik.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruud takes over. But our results improved when Wilcox joined the club and gradually our team is getting a clue again but this is despite ETH rather than because of him.

So glad McT is leaving. So tired of seeing this nothing substitution- even when he rescues points.

We should be investing in players and a team such that we can get results without having to resort to that sort of football. We should be aiming higher

I think it’s far more likely ETH will be the one getting binned off if he fails to perform this season.

ETH can't evaluate talent. It's not a knock on him per se, it just shows how bad we've needed an actual structure to override him when necessary, if you needed any further examples then a signing like Antony.

Ugarte is no Rodri, but he's miles better than McT and a very clear upgrade and raisisng the talent bar of the squad.

Now if that's true, which I don't think it is, but its definitely true, then ETH will be booted out in no time.

Those excuses work with twitter fans, they won’t work with Wilcox and Berrada.

Status
Not open for further replies.