Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see him start against the dippers but truth is he's not had much of a pre season if at all.

He's been likened to a young Mascherano and I'm excited to see what he can do for us.

Any idea on how long for international clearance and work permit because that's generally required?

fantastic signing and addition we badly needed....some energy and toughness to our midfield that was pretty soft

still think we need another CM added as to what i think they hoped Mount would be....a ball carrying CM that could offer goals and have a bit of creativeness as well

Unpopular opinion: I would love to see his partnership with Case rather than Mainoo.

If we were going to buy one midfielder this summer, it needed to be a midfielder that was good on the ball and a volume passer. Ugarte would have been an excellent buy along with this type of player.

Don’t think buying Ugarte as the lone CM signing will help us much this season.

This is a fair point, you might get attacked for it but it’s a legitimate concern. Many even want him at the expense of Casemiro, who also happens to be an important source of goals and creativity in this team.

I think Ugarte is a good player but the way our squad is set up, I think it will be difficult for him to seriously improve us this season. Hopefully next summer we are able to sign players to cover his weaker areas as I really do believe in the right system he has a lot to offer.
Spot on. Ugarte is a Casemiro replacement. Can you imagine the outrage when we are chasing the game to take off Bruno and bring on a straight CDM which is what Ugarte is instead of McTominay. Ugarte isn't a goal threat. My worry is McT who we are losing is more of a goal threat and that option is disappearing because we don't have the dough. Our options as a goal threat midfielder outside of Bruno are zero. Mount isn't good enough and Eriksen is no longer wanted

It will be nice to have a little of grit in our midfield, also I was surprised this guy is only 23, honestly I thought he was like 27 or something.

I hate to spill cold water on this but he is a midfielder with few goal involvements to his name. Four assists and no goals in 109 appearances over three years in Portugal and France. And we will in return lose McTominay's goals and assists.

My concerns would go if we were also seeking a creative midfielder. But we are not. Where are the goals coming from?

We managed just 57 goals last season.

Agree with this. We are severely lacking creativity in this squad. Rashford is finished, Garnacho and Amad are young so expect them to be inconsistent, Antony does nothing. Mount runs a lot but hasnt scored or assisted yet and seems to get injured alot. Bruno is so hollywood and his goal and assist output has reduced considerably. Zirkzee is a bit of an unknown.

That's a terrible video to highlight any positives as I could have easily completed the same actions highlighted. It's probably not a good match to highlight either, I don't remember his involvement but Newcastle ended up thrashing them 4-1, where Urgarte was subbed off after an hour while 3-1 down.

Brilliant signing.

The thread title says 50m + 10m. How much did we save on transfer fee by holding out on PSG as long as we did?

So the money is £42 (£8m add ons)

Potentially a £50m deal.

Seems about right to me.
If we can actually get a decent (at worst) DM for the next 5 years, something we have missed since Keane, then £50m will be a bargain

Compilation creators should stick to all touches in X match type of videos. But my guess is these don't do as well as the "highlights" or "lowlights" types.
That is an "all touches" compilation :lol:

That's a terrible video to highlight any positives as I could have easily completed the same actions highlighted. It's probably not a good match to highlight either, I don't remember his involvement but Newcastle ended up thrashing them 4-1, where Urgarte was subbed off after an hour while 3-1 down.

This doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The thing is, Toby Collyer was doing that in pre-season. I mean it's good to play it safe at the right time.
I'm happy to start with a midfielder who can definitely run, and press, and is reliable on the ball. Can build from there.

If we can actually get a decent (at worst) DM for the next 5 years, something we have missed since Keane, then £50m will be a bargain

Looking at other DMs this window for comparison :

£50m Joao Neves (19)
£50m Onana (22)
£43m Paulinha (29)
£42m Ugarte (23)
£27m Matts Weifer (24)
£17m Fofana (25)

Status
Not open for further replies.