Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could actually see ETH try that midfield trio now, with Ugarte instead of Casemiro, like he must have originally planned to.

Probably around 35 million, simply because he's not a player I can see having a long-term key role in our project, as of now, but I obviously hope that's not going to be the case, and also because his value should've diminished a bit more after 1 rather unsuccessful year at PSG.
But do you think that fee is realistic in the context of all other players who moved this window?

Ugarte:
  • 23 years old
  • 4993 Liga Portugal Mins
  • 1933 Ligue 1Mins
  • 372 Europa League Mins
  • 1064 Champions League Mins
  • 1399 National Team Mins
  • Total 9701 mins

Wiefer is the nearest to that fee and for context he’s:
  • 24 years old
  • 4262 Eredivise Mins
  • 638 Europa Mins
  • 469 Champions League Mins
  • 538 National Team Mins
  • Total 5907 mins
So do you feel we had any kind of chance of getting a player with that kind of experience for a similar fee to Wieffer, also signing from a bigger club than Feyenoord?

I’ll be honest I think it’s a bit dream land to consider this possible at anything other than what was paid.
Sure that was the report, but like I said I trust Orny more than L'equipe. You are free to think this is a great deal, I'm not gonna rain on your parade on signing day.
Me too, but my point is that as part of the negotiations we will have made clear what we are and aren’t going to pay and we’ve ended on a fee that relative to other fees in the market I think represents fair value.

I’ve not said it’s a great deal, but it’s absolutely not an overpay or too much.

Comparison with Palhinha from a Sporting fan on page 2 of this thread, back when he was linked with PSG/Chelsea last summer:

Reports in Portugal saying Chelsea and PSG are the clear favorites to sign him. I would love to see him in England.

The best compliment I can give him is that we did not feel the loss of Palhinha. I will now compare them both a little bit.

Although I believe Palhinha is the better defender and ball winning player (as shown by his statistics in England this season leading the league) I found it pretty interesting that Ugarte has registered more ball recoveries and completed tackles then palhinha when comparing both of their times at Sporting. He is very good at reading the play and is very aggressive at an attacking the ball which makes a ball handler very nervous. Very brave player who does not shy away from a gritty 50/50 ball.

Although Palhinha is a better passer of the ball Ugarte is clearly better with the ball in his feet and dribbling out of tight spaces. He can bring the ball up better and is more of a defensive B2B where as Palhinha is a pure CDM.

Ugarte is still very young but I would like to see him improve his shooting capabilities more and when compared to Palhinha he is not as much of a threat off of set pieces.

Similarly to Palhinha though he almost plays for 2 in midfield because it feels as though he is everywhere and has a very high workrate. I don’t think he would have any problem with the pace of the EPL and he also showed this at the emirates vs Arsenal when he completed bossed that midfield.

For 45-60M I think he is a great addition to any of the two clubs interested.

Great videos.

I see some reports that there is a 10% sell on clause to PSG should we sell him in the future.

I assume these sell on clauses only come into effect once the amount goes over the amount we bought him for , i.e. if we pay 50M and eventually sell him for 60M , then PSG only get 10% of the 10M excess, is this assumption correct?

It sounds correct but who knows how the clause is worded on the deal.

It could also be worded in such a way that as the transfer fee is amortised over the length of his contract, selling him in 3 years for the same value we paid for him would class as a profit in terms of FFP or PSR, and the clause could be worded in such a way to use this value.

If we ever did sell him for an increased fee it means he has been something of a success.

The new Kante or Macherano as some pundits say..Hope he does well. Tradiotinally Uruguyans are good defensively.
Ten haag has to think outside the box and try different combinations
playing casamero as no. 8 and set brundo fernadez free so he does more attack as no. 10.
( Mainoo is still young and doubt his tracking ability - can come from bench)
play mount as subsititue to Fernandez not together and also try him as wing player in certain games
let the fulll backs push forward more
stop playing Mcguire - we tried for several years
Move Rashford to center in certain games

Thats a pretty weird comment considering the likes of Ronaldo, Sancho, Maguire even Varane getting dropped etc
It's easy to drop players you didn't sign. When they broke the bank for someone you said yes to it's much harder to drop them, especially when they're considered a senior player on senior wages.

Great it is finally done for a reasonable fee. Add-ons pay for themselves if they are achieved.

He absolutely should get no.13.

He will fix issues for us, especially ball recovery and ball retention should improve. He adds stamina and energy as well. What he will do on the ball in E10Hag’s team remains to be seen, he might surprise us.

I think we need another midfielder ultimately to replace Eriksen, who is done at this level.

Ugarte won’t help us fix our goal scoring issues outright of course, but will help us be more dominant hopefully.

There are not enough games where we impose ourselves on the opponent, I think Ugarte could help with that. Not by passing them into a stupor (feck off Pep Guardiola is my idol worshippers), but by choking them with our pressing and ball recovery.

I've never seen this guy play but imagining he's a mixture of Keane and Robson.
Sounds ideal.

Ugarte-Family.jpg

Worryingly bald

Eh, offset by some fine dancing skills that run in the family. Our dressing room after wins is going to be :devil:

It's easy to drop players you didn't sign. When they broke the bank for someone you said yes to it's much harder to drop them, especially when they're considered a senior player on senior wages.
Same player we reported wanted to sell this summer and have just signed “one of the best young midfielders around” in his position

I guess he’ll just drop his new signing instead then

Great it is finally done for a reasonable fee. Add-ons pay for themselves if they are achieved.

He absolutely should get no.13.

He will fix issues for us, especially ball recovery and ball retention should improve. He adds stamina and energy as well. What he will do on the ball in E10Hag’s team remains to be seen, he might surprise us.

I think we need another midfielder ultimately to replace Eriksen, who is done at this level.

Ugarte won’t help us fix our goal scoring issues outright of course, but will help us be more dominant hopefully.

There are not enough games where we impose ourselves on the opponent, I think Ugarte could help with that. Not by passing them into a stupor (feck off Pep Guardiola is my idol worshippers), but by choking them with our pressing and ball recovery.
Yes, he should help us keep teams penned in. Good at anticipating interceptions and pressing.

Can we unleash him against that mob on Sunday or is it unlikely to be finalised by then?
I think he will play. Seems like the type to. I think he will put Ugarte next to Casemiro, pack the midfield. Bruno on the right.

I see some reports that there is a 10% sell on clause to PSG should we sell him in the future.

I assume these sell on clauses only come into effect once the amount goes over the amount we bought him for , i.e. if we pay 50M and eventually sell him for 60M , then PSG only get 10% of the 10M excess, is this assumption correct?
It depends kf its %age of future transfer fee or %age of future profit.

He's been immense and was everywhere in a good way. Easily one of the best players on the pitch for Uruguay. Top class positioning and has bailed them out with some good clearances. Doesn't look to have the passing range but as a DM he's been great tonight.

I'd say that's perhaps one his most important qualities. Has that South American bite to him. Going off his performances in the Copa were he was excellent against Brazil(only watched him at his tournament after we were linked) he's a very good destroyer sort of player, displayed good positioning in a couple of games which led to him providing clearances in some very important areas. But he seems to have very little passing range as he mostly kept his passing simple without being expansive and does chase around a lot vacating his position. Probably contradicts my earlier comment about displaying excellent positioning but didn't appear to be a sitting type DM though so maybe that's not what we're looking for?
Just went back to watch his highlights from Copa America to refresh my memory as I felt he was good at that time and if he's the profile of DM we wanted then he's very good at it. I don't expect him to be spraying passes all around the pitch though as I don't think that's his game nor I think we will ask him to. He hasn't shown any expansive passing during the tournament and was apparently the same at PSG too. Someone like Valverde showed more ambition in his passing.

The quoted were posted after the games against USA and Brazil. His defensive game should be excellent from what I've seen. Would have liked for the price to be a bit lower but if we end up paying the full amount it means we would have been successful so I don't mind it too much.

We have too few fatalist supporter songs!

Feck you and feck what you become, just a state founded joke of a club..

Am red, proudly all of my life, now shit, but at least not what you've become...

Relatively solid, the daughter is singing. (What a shit club City is.. well, that is quite special and shouldn't be ignored)

Nobody expects him to be a Rodri or regista type, because he's a destroyer by trade not a DLP, but he'll very much be a big help at the base of the midfield. Casemiro's legs are gone so it's suicidal still having him protecting the backline at this stage.

He's still got great skills on the ball so this allows him to play further up instead of being relied upon to cover for everyone else in midfield.

Also let's Kobbie be able to play as a no.8 or b2b is a better use of his talent than having him playing deeper.

Quite hopeful about this signing because the midfield has been swiss cheese for the majority of ETH's time. A proven top class ball winner there should go a long way toward helping plug up those massive spaces in the middle of the pitch that other teams get to exploit every single match

Status
Not open for further replies.