Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the midfield targets, this one was a surprise. Was kind of out of the blue. No leaks up until it got serious.

Interesting watch, thanks. His passing looked quite simple but neat, quick and a couple verticals through the line.

What would you say his main strengths and weaknesses are? From watching United, could you see a Ugarte/Mainoo/Bruno midfield working?
He keeps it simple, yes, but generally has a great awareness and sense of timing which is an essential quality for a player dictating the tempo of a game. Nobody is asking him to do that, but I don't think it's beyond him. I'm not talking a ball-spraying Pirlo, but could develop into someone like Deschamps.

As it is, he has been exploited as a harrier and ball winner covering every blade of grass. We could use that and, as I said earlier in this thread, if we want to try Mainoo in a double pivot and give him a shot at developing the defensive side of his game you need someone like Ugarte next to him.

I would feel quite confident with a starting midfield with those three, rotating between double and single pivot subject to opposition.

Just get it done and move on to RCB targets.

Alex Scott is a woman, she is retired, and didn't even play midfield. Good luck getting promoted with suggestions like that!
Well done. Show 'em newbs how things are done around here :)

I recon this guy is back up to our main target but I'd take him in all honesty.

Main target Neves or Onana?

Most likely Onana. Neves is too similar to Mainoo and not attainable for under 100m this summer. Onana however is a profile we're missing and perfectly compliments Mainoo as well, therefore being a much bigger need for us than Neves.

Is he a crazy south American ? I am all for it.
Does he create chaos in midfield like the Uruguayan at Liverpool?

Wow. How am I just seeing this? He would be such a good signing. Exact profile i've wanted for us for the last 10 years. A defensive-minded midfielder who will stay in position but is also an excellent passer of the ball. Think he's an even better fit than Joao Neves. Sign him up please!

P.S. Why on earth does PSG want to get rid?

As above. If Athletico are serious and have the cash then he’ll no doubt go there.

They’ve got 18 year old Brazilian DM Gabriel Moscardo coming in already, there is their replacement.

If he's ready to take over at 18 from a £50 million midfielder we should be buying him instead. Most likely he's not going there to play that often for his first season

Wow. How am I just seeing this? He would be such a good signing. Exact profile i've wanted for us for the last 10 years. A defensive-minded midfielder who will stay in position but is also an excellent passer of the ball. Think he's an even better fit than Joao Neves. Sign him up please!

They’re stacked in midfield tbf. Vitinha and Ruiz are brilliant players which is no slight on Ugarte. And they have a few young players as well including Emery who is home grown. So makes sense that they get rid to comply with FFP.

He keeps it simple, yes, but generally has a great awareness and sense of timing which is an essential quality for a player dictating the tempo of a game. Nobody is asking him to do that, but I don't think it's beyond him. I'm not talking a ball-spraying Pirlo, but could develop into someone like Deschamps.

As it is, he has been exploited as a harrier and ball winner covering every blade of grass. We could use that and, as I said earlier in this thread, if we want to try Mainoo in a double pivot and give him a shot at developing the defensive side of his game you need someone like Ugarte next to him.

I would feel quite confident with a starting midfield with those three, rotating between double and single pivot subject to opposition.

Just get it done and move on to RCB targets.
Yeah Mainoo has the positioning and other attributes but he is lacking in intensity and recovery pace so a harrier like Kante could work with him as he (Mainoo) could be a Carricksque midfield sweeper whilst Ugarte becomes the ball chasing 8 alongside Bruno who is also a high energy player off the ball. During different phases of play they could also swap roles, Mainoo starts the play as first collector Ugarte aids the build up and Mainoo moves up whilst Ugarte sits.

He's not an excellent passer of the ball. I've seen his every PSG appearance and he visibly struggled except for the first 2 months during which the consensus is he overperformed (looked like the 2nd coming of Kante during this period). He's a bulldog who chases opponents around (tackling and lungs are his best traits) but he struggles in possession. He doesn't progress the ball well and he's the exact opposite of being press resistant. He fell out of Enrique's plans due to the fact that he's slow with decision making and is not reliant if your team wants to knock the ball around a lot (what LE's football is all about really). He's a decent player with a profile that every team should have so I'm somewhat disappointed he's not getting a 2nd chance in Paris; but some magical can-do-everything-on-defense-and-offense kind of player, he really is not.

This kid was highly rated at Sporting if I am not mistaken, what happened in PSG?

He started off really strong. Lots of impressive tackles and kept it simple in possession, looked like he could single handedly fix all of PSGs midfield problems. But slowly as his form dipped the more his flaws with the ball got exposed.
He fell out of rotation and never really found his way back in. Fans wanted to see him feature more (Fabian Ruiz wasn't really performing great and Emery's form fell off in the second half of the season), but it seems that for Enrique, Ugarte just didn't/doesn't tick the necessary boxes.

He's not an excellent passer of the ball. I've seen his every PSG appearance and he visibly struggled except for the first 2 months during which the consensus is he overperformed (looked like the 2nd coming of Kante during this period). He's a bulldog who chases opponents around (tackling and lungs are his best traits) but he struggles in possession. He doesn't progress the ball well and he's the exact opposite of being press resistant. He fell out of Enrique's plans due to the fact that he's slow with decision making and is not reliant if your team wants to knock the ball around a lot (what LE's football is all about really). He's a decent player with a profile that every team should have so I'm somewhat disappointed he's not getting a 2nd chance in Paris; but some magical can-do-everything-on-defense-and-offense kind of player, he really is not.

All the stats seem to point that way. I do think he could be a good fit at United, but only if we can get another CB who can play progressive passes from the back alongside Martinez, and if Shaw can stay fit. I think then Ugarte wouldn't be expected to do more than play it simple, but has the engine to cover the ground when Mainoo or the FBs are caught forward. We'd probably need someone else a bit more forward thinking for games at OT, where the opposition are sitting deep and we're struggling to break them down, as he then probably becomes pretty ineffective.

That's probably too many ifs to sign him to be honest, it feels like it depends on too many other pieces falling into place. Personally, I think that if Everton don't budge on Branthwaite then we should probably sign try for Onana instead. He's nowhere near as defensively impactful but adds more going the other way than Ugarte does, plus he has the height and athleticism we currently lack through the squad.

Apparently we have had an offer rejected. Are there rumours on how much we have bid?

He seems to fit the profile of a dynamic, young DM. Could be good to close a key signing in good time for once

Apparently we have had an offer rejected. Are there rumours on how much we have bid?

He seems to fit the profile of a dynamic, young DM. Could be good to close a key signing in good time for once
I think I read €25m

Luis Enrique prefers having a better passer of the ball in his deeper position, hence why Vitinha plays there and why they are looking for another central midfielder.

I have watched a lot of PSG games, especially at the begining of the season when Ugarte played and I am not sure that he's that great technically.

He's a very good physical shape, runs a lot, chase a lot, stay in his 6 position and protect the midfield, but he won't be the one dictating the play.

I suppose that in his dream, Ten Hag wants a De Jong type of player, that can insert between the two defenders, or creating a box with Dalot, and I am not sure Ugarte fits this profile.

I would say that if Ugarte is signed (and I am sure PSG will want a lot of money) we would need an extra man in defense (De Ligt) that can take the ball and pass forward + Luke Shaw available (meaning 3 defenders that can pass the ball forward) and having Ugarte protecting this lot. But I am not sure if he fits the profile required.

I think I read €25m

Really hope not. It is really low balling and not serious from our end if we start this low. If we can get him for somewhere around EUR50m it would be good business I believe

I like that he’s young. That’s what we need. A young DM. If he is of course a DM. He’s South American which I also like as they show a lot of fight and determination. We need that aggressiveness. Him and Martinez would be great. What’s his injury record like? That’s one of the main things I like to know since we have an habit of signing injury prone players.

I mean there’s paying sensible money and then there’s offering these ridiculous low ball offers. Complete waste of time

Sounds/reminds me a bit like Ander Herrera with a bit more bite. Is that fair?

I think I read €25m
Really hope not. It is really low balling and not serious from our end if we start this low. If we can get him for somewhere around EUR50m it would be good business I believe
I went to the original vid by Ben Jacobs, he says PSG wanted 60m (I think it was EUR) and we offered half that.

He says united's stance is no offer was made yet, and PSGs was that United made an offer. Ben Jacobs then said from his sources on both sides, he's inclined to believe an offer was made but verbally.

He's a backup at PSG. I don't get why you think United should pay a starter fee for him. There's other options out there

He's a backup at PSG. I don't get why you think United should pay a starter fee for him. There's other options out there
Hes played in 25 league matches last season, am I missing something here?

€25m is too low but they signed him for €50m last year and they want rid. Should be at least €10m discount if we are smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.