Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
He gives me more confidence of making a trio work with Mainoo and Bruno (more so than Neves for example)

Although he is excellent defensively, my worry with him is his positioning and his desire to chase players to win the ball back instead of focusing on actually protecting the defense. He is not a holding midfielder in that sense as he prefers to be a ball winner like Kanté rather than be a holding midfielder sitting in front of the back four.

Regardless, I'd absolutely love to have him as it's clear we - and most teams - need a player like that. We have no real ball winners other than Casemiro and he has completely lost his legs so we can under no circumstances go into the next season without one. He is an excellent player and would make our midfield much more balanced. If we could close the deal for around €40m, that would be an excellent deal for us.

Thats because we buy players and then they flop. He played plenty and did well for a £50 million signing in their first season and remains PSG's only defensive minded midfielder. Danilo is 32, nowhere near as good and was converted to play CB. So unless they are signing a new DM and want to raise funds its an unrealistic transfer

They’ve got 18 year old Brazilian DM Gabriel Moscardo coming in already, there is their replacement.

I said in the thread earlier and I'd love to see a double pivot of Neves and Ugarte.. I like the idea of bringing Alex Scott in also.. get a bit more young English in the squad.

I also thought Bruno looked incredible in the False 9... could be the way forward.
Alex Scott is a woman, she is retired, and didn't even play midfield. Good luck getting promoted with suggestions like that!

Was this guy linked to Liverpool? Cos he will definitely end up there. We've not done well against them recently in regards to both wanting a player. They always seem to choose the dippers

Was this guy linked to Liverpool? Cos he will definitely end up there. We've not done well against them recently in regards to both wanting a player. They always seem to choose the dippers
They're allegedly still keen and can dangle CL football. But then again he's leaving PSG to be a starter, so United may be the more attractive option.

Alex Scott is a woman, she is retired, and didn't even play midfield. Good luck getting promoted with suggestions like that!

If certain mods were around from the old days, you'd already be demoted for making that post.

Can't help but be a little disappointed that this is the only type of midfielder we seem to be targeting (Onana, Neves etc the other options). It tells me that ETH will use the same midfield set-up he used for majority of last season with Mainoo and one of these guys in a double pivot and Bruno ahead of them. I was hoping we would look for a deep lying play maker as we need to improve our passing from the midfield and look for more control. We seem to be committing to transition football that we tried and failed with last season. Hopefully, this guy or Onana would be far better in the middle paired with Mainoo then Casemiro, McTom or Amrabat were last season. Otherwise our midfield would be as open as it was last season and teams will run through it with ease.

OK so which deep lying playmaker would you like to see us targeting just out of interest?

Agree with this analysis.

Think we'd need Martinez and Shaw to be fit and a RCB to help with progression and aerial duels. But he has a lot of great qualities and is still a very young player.

Agree with this analysis.

Think we'd need Martinez and Shaw to be fit and a RCB to help with progression and aerial duels. But he has a lot of great qualities and is still a very young player.

Still say we need to look at LB options because you are never too sure how long Shaw stays fit, which would be the ideal RCB to help with progression then?

Although he is excellent defensively, my worry with him is his positioning and his desire to chase players to win the ball back instead of focusing on actually protecting the defense. He is not a holding midfielder in that sense as he prefers to be a ball winner like Kanté rather than be a holding midfielder sitting in front of the back four.

Regardless, I'd absolutely love to have him as it's clear we - and most teams - need a player like that. We have no real ball winners other than Casemiro and he has completely lost his legs so we can under no circumstances go into the next season without one. He is an excellent player and would make our midfield much more balanced. If we could close the deal for around €40m, that would be an excellent deal for us.
You are absolutely right in that he is more Kanté than Carrick. We have neither really and the former is more pressing/useful if you ask me. Once the oppo have the ball we usually just dilly-dally until they feck up somehow.

He was but they've signed quite a few midfuelders since.

All we have to do really is send him a tape of our average game and he will know he would walk into that midfield and be an absolute beast for us.

Yeah, I would consider the starting midfield sorted and move straight into that brief, both as a Licha partner but even more so if/when he isn't available.

Surely people aren’t actually pretending to know how good this guy is. You’d need to be following PSG pretty avidly. The lad barely got a look in during any of their CL games this year.

Surely people aren’t actually pretending to know how good this guy is. You’d need to be following PSG pretty avidly. The lad barely got a look in during any of their CL games this year.

The highlight reel is enough for me :angel:

Yeah, I remember you asking and I wasn't watching local football much at all.

He has been immense ever since he came into the NT. We used to play a three man midfield, Bielsa switched to 4-2-3-1 with just him alongside Valverde (who has a great engine but loves to drive up the pitch).

You couldn't tell it was just the two of them against EnzoF, MacAllister and de Paul when we beat Argentina in Buenos Aires 2-0. They were everywhere, really got under their skin and even had Lio moaning about these kids not rolling over out of respect for the world champs.

Uber competitive, along with Licha he would bully the opposition. Get it done.
I was actually going to tag you again! After he first caught my eye for your international youth team, I had to tag you back then and it seems like he's progressed well for you. Albeit, not in the way I thought as I predicted below with my thoughts on him years ago:

He doesn't play for an English club, and this probably the wrong thread but I don't know where else to say this and want to name drop him, but Manuel Ugarte looks very promising. Similar style to Frenkie De Jong.

We should be all over this guy. I watched a Brazil -Uruguay U23 game earlier this year to watch Matheus Henrique of Gremio who I think is similar to Thiago and he (Ugarte) stole the show.
You've got an amazing volante coming through in Manuel Ugarte. A Uruguayan Frenkie De Jong.
I’ve posted about him before. Here’s a post from 2020:

If I recall correctly, it was the same match I saw Martinelli (before he joined Arsenal) and Antony (before he joined Ajax), too. Those three (along with Matheus Henrique who’s a press resistant midfielder himself ) were the standouts for me.

I actually think Ugarte has changed his game since playing senior football. At youth level, i likened him to de Jong. Very press resistant and turned well. At senior level, he’s become a the type of midfielder who covers every blade of grass winning the ball.

As I said, when I saw him for your youth team, he was very much like Frenkie. A composed, press resistant 6 who dictated games. However, it seems like he's developed into a box to box ball winner since moving to Europe. It has surprised me.

For what it's worth, his standout game against Brazil when playing as the deep playmaker that I initially watched for Matheus Henrique also contained our Anthony and Arsenals Martinelli, and Anthony looked just as good as Martinelli. You never know how players are going to develop.

let's see what Bielsa can do for him while on international duty in the Copa America

Here's a clip from that game. You will notice Bielsa has him dropping deep between the defenders to start the build up from the back.

There's also the fact that if he can do well playing DM for Bielsa he fits the challenge of being a DM under Hagball.

Interesting watch, thanks. His passing looked quite simple but neat, quick and a couple verticals through the line.

What would you say his main strengths and weaknesses are? From watching United, could you see a Ugarte/Mainoo/Bruno midfield working?

Status
Not open for further replies.