Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'd offer €45M and call it a day. PSG will either sell or not.

We have Toby as a backup not the end of the world.

Arguably we don't have the most important piece that is the manager. However we do have an excellent collection of young players starting with Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad, Zirkzee, Hojlund complemented by others at a very good age such as Martinez, Dalot. Clearly we need a lot more, probably a better manager, probably have to phase out Bruno and Rashford etc. But say we get someone like Klopp, we can definitely challenge for the title in 3 years. Of course that's an extremely difficult task.
Plus we’ve signed a couple of very promising 18 year olds for the. U21’s. Definitely building for the future.

Getting Ugarte for roughly the same price PSG got Neves for would be incredibly depressing.

We both lie silently still in the dead of the night,
Although we both lie close together, we feel miles apart inside.

We are EXTREMELY light in midfield as it is, not bringing someone in and expecting a kid with zero experience to fill the gap would be verging on malpractice. Completely unfair on the kid.

€59.92m Euros according to transfermarkt for Nevez
https://www.transfermarkt.com/joao-neves/transfers/spieler/670681/transfer_id/5173493

And we are paying €60.22m (51 sterling) for Ugarte
€60m + €10 add-ons and Renato Sanches went in the opposite direction on loan with option to buy.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5681394/2024/08/05/joao-neves-psg-transfer-sanches/

If Neves deal was achievable for only 10m more than what PSG are asking for Ugarte, I'd much rather prefer to sign him than Ugarte. Ugarte should be closer to 45m and it'd be alright. Not 60m though.

We are EXTREMELY light in midfield as it is, not bringing someone in and expecting a kid with zero experience to fill the gap would be verging on malpractice. Completely unfair on the kid.
Ugarte is not worth €60M. We need to stop being fans who throw a tantrum when we don't get a shiny new toy.

We stay patient for good deals, and stop making dumb deals. Also as long as Rashford is playing LW. Doesn't matter if you get Ugarte or the best DM in the world. We'll leave gaps and look horrible.

Strange the lengths “fans” will go to feel negative about any signing.

PSG paid 60m for him 12 months ago, he is 1 year more experienced…not sure how his value would have depreciate by 10m–15m.

PSG paid 60m for him 12 months ago, he is 1 year more experienced…not sure how his value would have depreciate by 10m–15m.
I'm actually quite positive about this signing but come on your post is absolutely irrelevant. We signed Sancho for 80 mil 2-3 years ago he must be 2-3 years more experienced now....

Ugarte was generally very underwhelming at PSG.

Ugarte is not worth €60M. We need to stop being fans who throw a tantrum when we don't get a shiny new toy.

We stay patient for good deals, and stop making dumb deals. Also as long as Rashford is playing LW. Doesn't matter if you get Ugarte or the best DM in the world. We'll leave gaps and look horrible.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, and forgive me if this sounds patronizing or something, but have you seen our fan base?

Patience is one thing we don't have, admittedly it's been a long time since SAF.

We are seeing changes and aren't even prepared to give the team to gel etc.

Lose against Liverpool and people will lose their shit.

Who’s throwing tantrums? :lol: I’m just not in favour of hanging a kid out to dry by expecting him to step into the first team as a starter or first option off the bench when he clearly isn’t ready yet.
And as for Ugarte not being worth €60m, that’s subjective. He’s worth whatever the club feel they want to pay for him and whatever the selling club feel they want to get for him.
And in relation to your Rashford point, yes I agree. He’s crap and needs replacing. But if you aren’t going to replace him at this minute, which we aren’t, you’re suggesting it’s pointless buying even the best DM in the world if he was available? That’s not how you build squads mate, solve as many issues as you can as you go along. If we get to the stage where Rashford is our only issue, then we’ll be miles ahead of where we are now.

The same way we have accepted a loss on Di Maria and Lukaku after just 1 year. It's really not that strange when PSG are looking to sell him and have already replaced him.

His value is only going to go down further as he isn't rated by their manager which probably means even less game time this season. He's already not even included in their squad for the first 2 games. You'd think he would at least make the bench if they rate him that much and had any plans for him this season if the transfer falls through.

I'm actually quite positive about this signing but come on your post is absolutely irrelevant. We signed Sancho for 80 mil 2-3 years ago he must be 2-3 years more experienced now....

Ugarte was generally very underwhelming at PSG.
Hardly “absolutely irrelevant” ffs

If United received bids for Sancho the following summer he joined I’m sure they would have loved to sell for a bargain 15m-20m off!

PSG are not stuck with some unwanted failure of a signing, they are open to a sale due to a managers preference.

"Spine" for you means most important central players? Because I don't see how Garnacho isn't part of it otherwise.
Yes when I meant spine I implied the central core from GK through to the striker. Obviously Garnacho is going to play a huge part for us going forward, but I feel we are going to have some of our most important players replaced in that time and it is still not clear if the new ones coming in can really be putting us as challengers, especially considering it won’t just suddenly click in 3 years but we should have our core group in together by next summer so that they can play together and we can then have a proper assault at the title in our 3rd year under Ineos. That would mean replacing the likes of Shaw, Rashford, Bruno in the next summer. That won’t be easy.

Very Indifferent about him

Must say, I feel the same. He simply does not pass the eye test for me. He makes too many mistakes in positioning, and often leaves acres of space behind him when he misses a tackles, or simply gets the midfield overun by numbers.

In a Premier League, where most teams are drilled to exploit space, his mistakes will be highlighted. If you combine him with Casemiro, oh well, it will be heart attack of a midfield, as they seem to be similar in that aspect.

On the other hand, I hope he proves me wrong, as we haven't had a proper midfield since Fergie's days. It was always the one area we were not able to make it work over the years, closely followed by our attacking line.

Anything you want - Ugarte
Anything you need - Ugarte
Anything at allllllllll - Ugarte
Baaaaaaaayaaaabe

It's literally the opposite.

I've seen quite a few posters on here trying to convince themselves and others that this is actually great business to pay 51m for a player who's limited on the ball, not a high volume passer, not a progressive passer, arguably his in-possession actions consist mostly of passing to his nearest teammate, he's not a great ball carrier, he's not elite at ball retention, he's not gonna be much help neither for our own transitions (because of his deficiencies I've just mentioned) or against the opposition's transitions, because he's not a player who can cover big spaces quickly, and that's one of the biggest things our squad has lacked for a while, but we'll see how the new signings help us in this regard, especially Yoro. He's a good ball winner, he has a lot of energy and stamina, and he seems to be a tenacious character on the pitch.

However, he was never worth 51 million in the first place. That's probably around his peak value if he develops his game and becomes a better player than he currently is within the next few years. However, not did only PSG already overpay for him 12 months ago, we are seemingly willing to do the same 12 months later when he wasn't anything special for them, and their manager doesn't rate him because of his limitations on the ball and in possession, so he's not gonna play much if he stays and he's absolutely not in their long-term plans.

It's the opposite of great business, in all likelihood. I'd call it decent business if it was a loan without obligation, or a ~30m transfer fee. For 51m, though, he needs to be a huge success and show more than he has for PSG, which would grant him a long-term key role in the squad, which isn't there for him IMO currently.

Also, him in a double pivot with Mainoo or anyone else in the current squad could lead to build-up problems. Mainoo is good at progressive carries, but he's not a great progressive passer IMO. Neither is Ugarte. And since we've just extended with Bruno for 4 years and put him onto 300k per week wages, it's not likely we want to move towards a 3-man midfield with a progressive + high volume passer next to Ugarte and Mainoo anytime soon. If we had someone for that role, like a Cole Palmer, and/or someone to play #6 behind Ugarte and Mainoo, this would be a different scenario, because then Ugarte would be adding good tactical flexibility to the squad IMO, although I'd still not believe it's great business for 51m. Right now, it seems like he's coming to play a very important position for us for big money, whilst being a limited player we might well be looking to upgrade on 12 months from now.

Yes when I meant spine I implied the central core from GK through to the striker. Obviously Garnacho is going to play a huge part for us going forward, but I feel we are going to have some of our most important players replaced in that time and it is still not clear if the new ones coming in can really be putting us as challengers, especially considering it won’t just suddenly click in 3 years but we should have our core group in together by next summer so that they can play together and we can then have a proper assault at the title in our 3rd year under Ineos. That would mean replacing the likes of Shaw, Rashford, Bruno in the next summer. That won’t be easy.

I think it's too early to draw any kind of conclusions just yet. Shaw doesn't need replacing based on his ability and we'll see what happens with his injuries. If his wages of 150k/week are to be accurate, then those are more than reasonable wages for a player of his quality as well. Let's see if he can be managed properly for him to sustain fewer injuries before we write him off after 3 games. Rashford isn't done yet either. He hasn't scored yet and can be frustrating with his decision making, but his overall game has been good and he's looked sharp. It's just that when he scores, people will say he's rubbish because that's all he offers, but when he doesn't score but his overall game is good, contributes a lot to the team without getting a goal contribution, then people are still parroting the same thing, like after the Community Shield or even the Fulham game. And we've just extended with Bruno and put him on very high wages. You might want to see Bruno replaced but it's clearly not something Ineos and the club have in their plans. We're also just 3 games into the "new era" and we arguably haven't even had a bad performance yet.

Last edited:
It's literally the opposite.

I've seen quite a few posters on here trying to convince themselves and others that this is actually great business to pay 51m for a player who's limited on the ball, not a high volume passer, not a progressive passer, arguably his in-possession actions consist mostly of passing to his nearest teammate, he's not a great ball carrier, he's not elite at ball retention, he's not gonna be much help neither for our own transitions (because of his deficiencies I've just mentioned) or against the opposition's transitions, because he's not a player who can cover big spaces quickly, and that's one of the biggest things our squad has lacked for a while, but we'll see how the new signings help us in this regard, especially Yoro. He's a good ball winner, he has a lot of energy and stamina, and he seems to be a tenacious character on the pitch.

However, he was never worth 51 million in the first place. That's probably around his peak value if he develops his game and becomes a better player than he currently is within the next few years. However, not did only PSG already overpay for him 12 months ago, we are seemingly willing to do the same 12 months later when he wasn't anything special for them, and their manager doesn't rate him because of his limitations on the ball and in possession, so he's not gonna play much if he stays and he's absolutely not in their long-term plans.

It's the opposite of great business, in all likelihood. I'd call it decent business if it was a loan without obligation, or a ~30m transfer fee. For 51m, though, he needs to be a huge success and show more than he has for PSG, which would grant him a long-term key role in the squad, which isn't there for him IMO currently.

Also, him in a double pivot with Mainoo or anyone else in the current squad could lead to build-up problems. Mainoo is good at progressive carries, but he's not a great progressive passer IMO. Neither is Ugarte. And since we've just extended with Bruno for 4 years and put him onto 300k per week wages, it's not likely we want to move towards a 3-man midfield with a progressive + high volume passer next to Ugarte and Mainoo anytime soon. If we had someone for that role, like a Cole Palmer, and/or someone to play #6 behind Ugarte and Mainoo, this would be a different scenario, because then Ugarte would be adding good tactical flexibility to the squad IMO, although I'd still not believe it's great business for 51m. Right now, it seems like he's coming to play a very important position for us for big money, whilst being a limited player we might well be looking to upgrade on 12 months from now.
This is an excellent post. Will be INEOS worst decision this window if this goes through.

As a Brazilian I have watched him in friendlies, qualifiers, and Copa. There's a clear reason PSG is moving on from him. Yes he's a pitbull defensively. But absolutely adds no value in building up play. He just makes the simple sideways or backwards pass.

Maybe a good fit for a bottom half EPL club but even then why pay £50M for that when you can find someone for £20M to run around and on far lower wages. Makes no sense in my head to pay more than £35-40M for him and even then you're betting you can coach him to be a complete DM.

I don't really care about this signing at all. I find it a little sad that the club keeps on targeting the wrong type of midfielders, and much smaller clubs continue to hold their own against us, often outplaying us even at Old Trafford.

This is an excellent post. Will be INEOS worst decision this window if this goes through.

As a Brazilian I have watched him in friendlies, qualifiers, and Copa. There's a clear reason PSG is moving on from him. Yes he's a pitbull defensively. But absolutely adds no value in building up play. He just makes the simple sideways or backwards pass.

Maybe a good fit for a bottom half EPL club but even then why pay £50M for that when you can find someone for £20M to run around and on far lower wages. Makes no sense in my head to pay more than £35-40M for him and even then you're betting you can coach him to be a complete DM.

I agree with you.

If the deal goes through, I'll obviously really hope he proves us wrong and shows things we didn't think he was capable of. I just don't see it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.