Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people accepted that this season and the build up to it was about getting the support structures in place and doing some business in the transfer window. Nobody expected a complete rebuild of the first team squad. Rome wasn’t built in a day

This, for me, is why this transfer doesn’t make sense for a fee north of £30m.

If we’re not going to be the finished article this season, why spend large sums of cash on a flawed player who doesn’t really do what we need?

Make do, muddle through, keep the cash for next summer, and see what’s available then.

This transfer feels like an AwB or Maguire transfer. Retrospectively not bad if it’s at the right price, but he’ll become a spacegoat the minute his limits become apparent at a higher fee.

Always felt we needed to sell McT first to get this transfer going. Otherwise it would have been a loan with obligation, which would have sucked. So hopefully this gets done now.

People thought Eriksen going would help with this, but I dont think sellign Eriksen gives us any sorts of funds. And I dont think he's leaving either.

Ugarte will be our only midfield signing this season. Big responsibility.

I’d still kick the payments down the track to next year if it means we can invest in a further midfielder or striker. I know we need a left back but honestly covering that position isn’t as bad as being light in either of the other areas

If we’re not going to be the finished article this season, why spend large sums of cash on a flawed player who doesn’t really do what we need?
Most folks are already dreaming up a 100M bid for Wharton next season, essentially thinking of replacing Ugarte befoere we even sign him. Doesnt bode well, particularly at this price point.

I’d still kick the payments down the track to next year if it means we can invest in a further midfielder or striker. I know we need a left back but honestly covering that position isn’t as bad as being light in either of the other areas
Which striker is available this late in the market? Toney probably the best option but that's a bit meh

Most folks are already dreaming up a 100M bid for Wharton next season, essentially thinking of replacing Ugarte befoere we even sign him. Doesnt bode well, particularly at this price point.

Players emerge all the time, I guarantee there will be other options come next summer.

Some patience would suit us well, for me it’s probably our largest flaw for the last 12 years. Constantly looking for a shortcut.

Very excited about the imminent Ugarte deal, I just pray everything falls into place by the end of the week.

Make do, muddle through, keep the cash for next summer, and see what’s available then.

This transfer feels like an AwB or Maguire transfer. Retrospectively not bad if it’s at the right price, but he’ll become a spacegoat the minute his limits become apparent at a higher fee.
I think we need someone like him. Neither Mainoo or Casemiro have the stamina to last matches. Our depth is very poor after that.

I think we need someone like him. Neither Mainoo or Casemiro have the stamina to last matches. Our depth is very poor after that.

I want somebody who can put a foot in, but I just don’t think it’s the key characteristic of one of two midfielders long term. It really shouldn’t be that hard to find somebody who can play football and will work hard too, Mainoo is showing promising signs of that in the 60m he currently lasts for.

Ugarte’d be decent as somebody we could bring in when needed, and I’m fine with him at a low fee with that in mind. But the fee can ruin a player at United. £35m+ seems a lot for a backup, or special circumstances player.

The way some united fans write off signings before they’ve even played is tiresome.

- Ugarte not good enough
- De Ligt injury prone and a reject
- Mazraoui crock and EtH player.
- Zirkzee not enough goals and Dutch

Seems the only ones that some get excited about are the fashionable ones of the hour, some of them they’ve probably never seen play (Yoro for example).

Wish people would get behind players instead of writing them off. Sure there’s some that want them to fail just so they’re proven right and can say ‘I called it right’.

It’s boring.

Hopefully he's quality signing for ten Hag but also for the club in general when another manager comes in. Most probably our transfer window is finished when McTominay and Ugarte deal go through at some point next week.

That would be disappointing because need to get proven goalscorer and Rabiot on free too

Feel sorry for the guy already, some have him as the final jigsaw piece to our team. If he doesn’t turn up in game one the knives will be out already. I’m sure ETH won’t play him for the first 2 months anyway.

We're hearing very little about Eriksen leaving, and no talk about bringing another midfielder in. The midfielders we've been linked to seem to be us trying to signal to PSG that we have alternatives to Ugarte if they don't lower their demands. There's very little suggestion that we're looking at another midfielder after Ugarte.

Frankly, given how bad our midfield was last season it's criminal there hasn't been a complete rebuild of this area. It's extremely concerning they think 1 midfield signing is enough.

We've gone into the new season with weaker midfield options than last season. We seem to do this every summer where we suffer bad results in the first 3 games of the season because we can't get our transfer business done early. 2 quality midfielders signed earlier in the window and we likely win that game yesterday. De Ligt not having any pre-season and so sat on the bench is another example of how not getting business done early costs us. These are points that could cost us come the end of the season.

Yeah would describe the lack of midfield concern as very alarming indeed. Rest assured this guy isn't gonna fix our control issues at CM

£35m+ seems a lot for a backup, or special circumstances player.
We've been pissing up far more than that on players we didn't even need, while our midfield is crying out for someone like him now.

If we eventually signed someone who is more of a controlling DLP (which we absolutely should when we can, or a new manager finally wants to) he can provide the heavy-lifting next to him in a double pivot.

By this time next Summer we won't have McT, Casemiro or Eriksen. Our current midfielders will be a 30yo Bruno, a perma-injured Mount and a 20yo Mainoo who so far still looks a more likely AM than CM.

Ugarte, at a ripe age of 23, demonstrably excels at certain very useful aspects of the game which that remaining set does not. Either he continues playing because we got no new shiny DLP, or plays alongside him, or becomes a credible rotation option which would still get plenty of games. We are talking about a player that is never injured and therefore also (not just) offers backup in three roles for years to come.

That's more than the special circumstances player (like Phil Jones as a man-marker in midfield) you seem to be thinking about.

Feel sorry for the guy already, some have him as the final jigsaw piece to our team. If he doesn’t turn up in game one the knives will be out already. I’m sure ETH won’t play him for the first 2 months anyway.

It rests on the reality of having a fairly incompetent manager.

Last season it was Amrabat, how he would solve the midfield. Then it reverted to Mainoo and now Kobbies fully involved in the first team and the midfield is still an issue it's Ugarte.

It will continue to be someone or something else until we start looking at the accountability of the head coach.

The way some united fans write off signings before they’ve even played is tiresome.

- Ugarte not good enough
- De Ligt injury prone and a reject
- Mazraoui crock and EtH player.
- Zirkzee not enough goals and Dutch

Seems the only ones that some get excited about are the fashionable ones of the hour, some of them they’ve probably never seen play (Yoro for example).

Wish people would get behind players instead of writing them off. Sure there’s some that want them to fail just so they’re proven right and can say ‘I called it right’.

It’s boring.
I'm quite happy so far.

Yoro looked good but shit happens.

Mazraoui has slotted in nicely.

Zirkzee looks promising despite the daftest disallowed goal you'll ever see.

De Ligt is the only one I can excuse on the Brighton winner, as it was his side and he hasn't played with us enough to be second-guessing that we occasionally defend like schoolboys following the ball around. Mind, I would have preferred to see him wise up to the collective brainfart underway.

I think most people accepted that this season and the build up to it was about getting the support structures in place and doing some business in the transfer window. Nobody expected a complete rebuild of the first team squad. Rome wasn’t built in a day
You’ve missed †he word ‘rational’ out a few times in this post!

I'm quite happy so far.

Yoro looked good but shit happens.

Mazraoui has slotted in nicely.

Zirkzee looks promising despite the daftest disallowed goal you'll ever see.

De Ligt is the only one I can excuse on the Brighton winner, as it was his side and he hasn't played with us enough to be second-guessing that we occasionally defend like schoolboys following the ball around. Mind, I would have preferred to see him wise up to the collective brainfart underway.
I think De Ligt wasn’t to blame for that goal. McT wasn’t looking behind him and Christ knows who was covering LB

Feels wrong somehow. Like, mismatched.

Chelsea want Sancho and last season they wanted Ugarte. Get them involved, they take Ugarte and Sancho, United get Caicedo, and everybody wins?

I think De Ligt wasn’t to blame for that goal. McT wasn’t looking behind him and Christ knows who was covering LB
Aye, that's what I say, last one to blame. Would still be more impressed at someone not having to be there realising someone should, that's all.

Half of it is chopping and changing unnecessarily, we need to settle that back 4 so Dalot remembers he is LB, Licha isn't paranoid at what Maguire may do, etc. Settling the midfield ahead of them will help that too, obviously.

I want somebody who can put a foot in, but I just don’t think it’s the key characteristic of one of two midfielders long term. It really shouldn’t be that hard to find somebody who can play football and will work hard too, Mainoo is showing promising signs of that in the 60m he currently lasts for.

Ugarte’d be decent as somebody we could bring in when needed, and I’m fine with him at a low fee with that in mind. But the fee can ruin a player at United. £35m+ seems a lot for a backup, or special circumstances player.
Madrid had been successful with someone like Case in their midfield. Milan used to have Gattuso on their successful period.

Then to lesser extend, Partey at Arsenal.

With McT sale, Ugarte will be announced in the next couple days for sure.

Let's hope he is everything we are hoping for in a ball-winning DMF, and not just another Amrabat, just much more expensive

With McT sale, Ugarte will be announced in the next couple days for sure.

Let's hope he is everything we are hoping for in a ball-winning DMF, and not just another Amrabat, just much more expensive
Other than Amrabat “playing” at LB, Ugarte is better than him in every footballing aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.