Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to disagree, not with the stats but with their interpretation. He ranks high in terms of passing volume and accuracy mainly because he made a lot of short side/back passes. He ranks badly in progressive passing (26th percentile) expected assist (15th percentile) and also in progressive possession (16th percentile). Basically, he's not good at moving the ball forward, but he's good at recovering it high on the pitch.

Regarding his pressing resistance, he's barely average. Not terrible, not reliable. His 1st touch really isn't great so if he's pressed and gets the ball from the keeper or a CB facing his own goal, he'll pass it back to a CB or to a full back most of the time.

On rare occasions though, he'll make you feel he can't miss a thing, even the craziest long passes from his wrong foot (I remember him against Marseille last septembre, it was crazy) but it doesn't last long.
Might just be my confirmation bias here, but your description is exactly what I thought of him when I saw his highlights. Very good ball winner who mostly plays it safe. Also a lot of his tackles would get pulled back for fouls in the PL so not sure how he'd fare here and hence I was wanting a more rounded player at that price.

I have accepted him coming here and that he appears good at being a ball winner but I dont think he's worth £50m.

These are all very worrying numbers/observations from someone who I believe watched him more last season than all the muppets here combined. This place almost successfully convinced me he was a very good ball carrier and 'press-resistance'.

Looking at our team the last thing we need is another possession losing machine. Sure he will have higher recovery numbers from game to game (the stats nerds will love this) but overall will be a net loss to the overall team. Worrying times.

I don't know how Ugarte is going to fare for United. I've watched 10 games or so of him when he was at Sporting and I was sketpical when he was transfered to PSG. Then he started VERY well for us and was far better than I expected, especially on the ball. 2 months or so later, his form wasn't as good and everything seemed to go sideway for him. Messy on the ball and a liability under pressure, out of tune and late on defense, no real influence on the pitch. He never really recovered from that bad spell and it sealed the deal for Enrique who doesn't like this kind of player but had to play him at the beginning of the season because of how good he was.

Casemiro regen :drool:

They're two very different players to me, as i've said, Ugarte is far closer to Kante (without the technical abilities)

Might just be my confirmation bias here, but your description is exactly what I thought of him when I saw his highlights. Very good ball winner who mostly plays it safe. Also a lot of his tackles would get pulled back for fouls in the PL so not sure how he'd fare here and hence I was wanting a more rounded player at that price.

I have accepted him coming here and that he appears good at being a ball winner but I dont think he's worth £50m.
That's a pretty good description. When he's on top of his game, his tackles are perfectly legit. On a bad day though, he's constantly late and pretty much useless. He'll keep on fighting for sure but being perfectily fit is mandatory for him, otherwise there's not point playing him.

Last edited:
Another year and yet another summer where we expect a singular midfield signing to somehow transform a team.
They did say on MOTD that Utd have a very soft midfield that's too easy to play against. Ugarte will definitely help with that.

They did say on MOTD that Utd have a very soft midfield that's too easy to play against. Ugarte will definitely help with that.

I don’t think it helps that Bruno is essentially allowed to do whatever he likes and play wherever he wants, you almost need an extra midfielder to cover for the fact that Bruno is only a midfielder some of the time.. I’d like to see us go back to just having a normal midfield and start to control games more often, we need to go back to basics and hopefully we see Ugarte as a piece of that puzzle

Just to check that midfield we played against was a near 40 year old James Milner and Billy Gilmour?

Against nearly 200m worth of signings, 2 champions league winners (what 6 Champions Leagues total I believe), our best youth player who played England all the way to a Euros finals and our captain?

Under a manager who is younger than half his team.

I'd argue maybe personal isn't the issue but let's see.

Just to check that midfield we played against was a near 40 year old James Milner and Billy Gilmour?

Against nearly 200m worth of signings, 2 champions league winners (what 6 Champions Leagues total I believe), our best youth player who played England all the way to a Euros finals and our captain?

Under a manager who is younger than half his team.

I'd argue maybe personal isn't the issue but let's see.
Yes it’s management issue. It doesn’t take 2 years to understand that we have a vacuum in the middle of the park and not address it. I think its by choice the way we are happily relinquishing the control from midfield.

From what I have seen of him I would come to the same conclusion.
Others on here have tagged him as one of the best DM's running around which I simply fail to see.

From what I have seen of him I would come to the same conclusion.
Others on here have tagged him as one of the best DM's running around which I simply fail to see.
Sure, if their version of a DM is a ball winner, which even the stats suggest he's one of the best around. But I want more from a DM. Not sure ETH and our hierarchy wants it though which is where it matters the most.

I don't think we need to spend €60m if we are want a pure ball winner. But seems like he's our top midfield choice, so I hope there's some logic there and that he succeeds. Hes going to be better than McT anyways and can offer more legwork than Casemiro and Eriksen so he has that going for him.

This is exactly what he is.

He tackles/intercepts, and he passes safely to a team mate. And he does that a lot. Little more, little less.

Insofar as there's upside, it's that he only just turned 23 at the end of last season. So he's still a full year younger than Kante was when he first moved to Leicester for example, and only just the same age Casemiro was when he first began starting games for Real. In other words, a young enough DM that there's still scope for him to keep improving.

That profile/age combination was enough for both PSG and Chelsea to be willing to pay his €60m release clause last summer, with other top level clubs like Liverpool also reportedly strongly interested. But it's also limited enough that there was an obvious profile mismatch as soon as a manager like Enrique took over PSG.

Sure, if their version of a DM is a ball winner, which even the stats suggest he's one of the best around. But I want more from a DM. Not sure ETH and our hierarchy wants it though which is where it matters the most.

I don't think we need to spend €60m if we are want a pure ball winner. But seems like he's our top midfield choice, so I hope there's some logic there and that he succeeds. Hes going to be better than McT anyways and can offer more legwork than Casemiro and Eriksen so he has that going for him.
We already have a player in that mould in Collyer.

We already have a player in that mould in Collyer.
Will wait and see how he fares but based on the limited games I saw of the u-21s last season, I wasn't really impressed by him. Both him and Oyedele were technically decent but I was left wanting them to do more at that level. Collyer was apparently good against Barnsley earlier in the week so maybe he's improving.

But yea, if all we want is legs then Collyer can offer that but I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Ugarte, even if I don't rate Ugarte as high as some on here.

Will wait and see how he fares but based on the limited games I saw of the u-21s last season, I wasn't really impressed by him. Both him and Oyedele were technically decent but I was left wanting them to do more at that level. Collyer was apparently good against Barnsley earlier in the week so maybe he's improving.

But yea, if all we want is legs then Collyer can offer that but I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Ugarte, even if I don't rate Ugarte as high as some on here.
Obviously not as he has not had the chance to establish himself as of yet.
From what I have seen of him he is a big athletic lad whom covers the ground well and moves the ball well and loves a tackle and is genuinely two footed.
I am fine with getting Ugarte at the right price because if we do not get a solid midfielder that can play as a DM this season it is going to be a carbon copy of the last.

Obviously not as he has not had the chance to establish himself as of yet.
From what I have seen of him he is a big athletic lad whom covers the ground well and moves the ball well and loves a tackle and is genuinely two footed.
I am fine with getting Ugarte at the right price because if we do not get a solid midfielder that can play as a DM this season it is going to be a carbon copy of the last.
I agree on this. I say around 45m should be fair for him but PSG don't seem to budging so yea I hope he succeeds and goes on to become better than what I think he is.

Even if we sign him, we will continue to struggle. We have a misfiring front line so don't expect any miracle. He will be here to plug a few holes but without a legit striker, we are screw. Don't expect Rashford to be a 15G/10A right winger and Amad as 10G/10A player. Both striker will score about 10-15 this season. We are in for a rough season unless Erik finds a magic formula to make them clinical.

Of course it isn't, but you know it's not only about the small difference in the two clubs' valuations. We want to show to other clubs that we won't overpay if the price exceeds the limit of what we think is reasonable.
Most other clubs aren't funded by a bottomless pit of oil and would have wrapped this up ages ago.

I think the club isn't willing to bring in more than one without others leaving

Well need to get shut of McTominay, Hannibal and Eriksen, unfortunately lumbered now with Sancho due to Juve signing Gonzalez which is real body blow

We should give up on Ugarte, save some money and get someone with a bit more range like Andre Trindade. He would be around the 30m mark which seems around what we want to spend.

We should give up on Ugarte, save some money and get someone with a bit more range like Andre Trindade. He would be around the 30m mark which seems around what we want to spend.
Orstein and Romano reported this summer that we were willing to pay £43m. That’s clearly above the £30m mark you’ve randomly come up with.

Read that tweet again.

Set to close, permanent deal, IF

IF => THEN

IF McT to Napoli THEN proceed

Sunk in yet? Just another variant of "very close, but".
sigh, we were going to close the deal on a loan with obligation to buy. Selling mcT allows us to buy him now. regardless selling mcT or not doesnt stop us buying ugarte.

If Ugarte really is the missing piece that unlocks everything we should have done this deal two months ago.

So are you trying to say Rashford has developed and improved his game the last 3 years?
The question was do players stop developing at 23? And your answer was, bizarrely, “Marcus Rashford”

I’m sure you’re capable of actually pulling together a coherent response so I’m bewildered as to why you didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.