Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need him to be able to chase midfields like Milner and Gilmour around.

Who needs a midfield that can impose itself on the game after all.

Yeah cause paying extra £5m is the end of the world.

Of course it isn't, but you know it's not only about the small difference in the two clubs' valuations. We want to show to other clubs that we won't overpay if the price exceeds the limit of what we think is reasonable.

Hopefully he is the Uruguayan Roy Keane, because we certainly need more discipline and defensive steel in our team.

Still concede such soft goals.

We need another manager, 600mill spent under this manager, hes a black hole of a manager.
I've lost hope that Ugarte will change anything.

Of course it isn't, but you know it's not only about the small difference in the two clubs' valuations. We want to show to other clubs that we won't overpay if the price exceeds the limit of what we think is reasonable.
Sure let’s not overpay a small amount and have Casemeiro huffing and puffing through 90 minutes.

Would make a big difference I suspect, Casemiro noticeably slowed down in the second half, and it made us a lot more vulnerable.

Pretty sure we will sign him, all three sides want it done. The negotiation on price comes down to leverage and who blinks first, PSG clearly want his wages off their payroll and the transfer fee paid. I think ultimately that will trump any short term performance issues we have and the fee will be closer to what we are proposing

People keep saying this but it will make little difference
And probably has little basis in reality as players are often viewed with medium-term prospects. We signed de Ligt for a reasonable fee after yoro got injured. PSG want to sell him, putting the price up to £70m would be stupid.

Because as we know the options to replace him right now are very limited, and we have just invested a fortune in players he wanted, so surely he now has to be given a proper chance to make it work.
I wanted him gone since Winter last season and nothing has changed

Hopefully the penny drops after today and we realize that we need a controller in the midfield of the park rather than an all-action ball chaser.

Bit late in the window to change
Pretty much. This team is setup to be dependent on turnover ball.

I don't think EtH actually knows what he wants. The first half today was reliant on turning over high up the pitcj
Glazer-esque kneejerk reactions

Yeah lets pay whatever they want because of one bad result at the start of the season :lol:

My perspective includes the majority of last season to be fair. Or have you a short memory?

My perspective includes the majority of last season to be fair. Or have you a short memory?

We have a different tactical approach this season, which suits Casemiro (or any midfielder) much better. Yes, we could do with another midfielder, but overpaying for Ugarte out of panic is not the only option.

Ten Hag is the first manager since Ferguson's retirement to actually retain the faith of the players during a sustained period of bad performances. There were clear points during the tenure of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Solksjaer when our players clearly gave up.

Even at our worst last season, there was no lack of effort on the pitch. It's a definite positive of Ten Hags that he can keep his players on his side. But eventually even that will stop if the results don't come.
I'd be surprised if that's true.

It's almost impossible for us to be as bad as last season without there being some effort and commitment issues from certain players. We were lucky to even finish top half of the table, 12th wouldn't have been an unfair reflection our standard of play.

I just think the club have broken the mould and stuck with the manager despite the dressing room unrest, to send the signal to the players that "we won't let you get another manager sacked".

If we'd have sacked him last season the narrative would have been that the players gave up on him.

We have a different tactical approach this season, which suits Casemiro (or any midfielder) much better. Yes, we could do with another midfielder, but overpaying for Ugarte out of panic is not the only option.

I still saw the same Casemiro from last season. Legs like running through mud and diving into tackles out of desperation. No?

I agee with your point, but times also running out.

I still saw the same Casemiro from last season. Legs like running through mud and diving into tackles out of desperation. No?

I think physical decline has set in for him and a lot of it has to do with that. Don't get me wrong, I want a defensive midfield partner for Mainoo, as well as Rabiot to compete with Mainoo for the number 8 position, but I hope we won't give in to PSG's demands just because of one bad result in the second league game of the season, where we arguably shouldn't even have lost.

Harsh i think. Flagged after about 75 but covered more ground than anybody but gilmour and mainoo and made some excellent interventions. I thought he was linking very well with mainoo and we looked very solid without being played through. We need another dm but casemiro will be very useful this season

I think physical decline has set in for him and a lot of it has to do with that. Don't get me wrong, I want a defensive midfield partner for Mainoo, as well as Rabiot to compete with Mainoo for the number 8 position, but I hope we won't give in to PSG's demands just because of one bad result in the second league game of the season, where we arguably shouldn't even have lost.

Yeah I get you. Especially on Raboit. I just don't fancy going into this season relying on Casemiro. As I said, thats not off this result. His trajectory isn't new. It just feels like we have left it a bit late for wanting position to be filled.

Harsh i think. Flagged after about 75 but covered more ground than anybody but gilmour and mainoo and made some excellent interventions. I thought he was linking very well with mainoo and we looked very solid without being played through. We need another dm but casemiro will be very useful this season

Maybe correct today, but as I said, I'm not just referring to this game. Needing to replace or back him up has been obvious for quiet a while.

We need him to be able to chase midfields like Milner and Gilmour around.

Who needs a midfield that can impose itself on the game after all.
We’re going to have to wait until 1. We manage to sell McTominay, Eriksen, and Casemiro (and honestly at least one of Bruno/Mount) to properly rebuild the midfield with the right profiles and more importantly 2. Get a manager who actually wants to play like that before we can have such lofty dreams, I’m afraid.

Second highest defensive actions across all of Europe last season, just behind Palhinha.
Playing in Ligue 1.

If we get him in, we must ensure we lose both McTom and the past-it Casemiro and, for the love of Cod, please can we assess whether or not we need another forward, a central forward, capable of consistently scoring goals?

Oh, and Rabiot, if a sensible wage is arranged.

Lose Mount, Eriksen, Case, McTom, Rashford, Antony and strongly consider removing Hojlund in January if his form, by Xmas, is as profligate as his fellow travellers.

Just so much waste at our club.

Second highest defensive actions across all of Europe last season, just behind Palhinha.
Casemiro is very high on the same, while also being strong in the air. It doesn't really prove anything. Schneiderlin was top of such stats when we bought him.

Fred was an inaccurate passer. Ugarte is in the top percentiles for passing volume and accuracy.

Fred was easily pressed. Ugarte is good at retaining possession under pressure and stepping into space before releasing the ball.

I'd have to disagree, not with the stats but with their interpretation. He ranks high in terms of passing volume and accuracy mainly because he made a lot of short side/back passes. He ranks badly in progressive passing (26th percentile) expected assist (15th percentile) and also in progressive possession (16th percentile). Basically, he's not good at moving the ball forward, but he's good at recovering it high on the pitch.

Regarding his pressing resistance, he's barely average. Not terrible, not reliable. His 1st touch really isn't great so if he's pressed and gets the ball from the keeper or a CB facing his own goal, he'll pass it back to a CB or to a full back most of the time.

On rare occasions though, he'll make you feel he can't miss a thing, even the craziest long passes from his wrong foot (I remember him against Marseille last septembre, it was crazy) but it doesn't last long.

I'd have to disagree, not with the stats but with their interpretation. He ranks high in terms of passing volume and accuracy mainly because he made a lot of short side/back passes. He ranks badly in progressive passing (26th percentile) expected assist (15th percentile) and also in progressive possession (16th percentile). Basically, he's not good at moving the ball forward, but he's good at recovering it high on the pitch.

Regarding his pressing resistance, he's barely average. Not terrible, not reliable. His 1st touch really isn't great so if he's pressed and gets the ball from the keeper or a CB facing his own goal, he'll pass it back to a CB or to a full back most of the time.

On rare occasions though, he'll make you feel he can't miss a thing, even the craziest long passes from his wrong foot (I remember him against Marseille last septembre, it was crazy) but it doesn't last long.

These are all very worrying numbers/observations from someone who I believe watched him more last season than all the muppets here combined. This place almost successfully convinced me he was a very good ball carrier and 'press-resistance'.

Looking at our team the last thing we need is another possession losing machine. Sure he will have higher recovery numbers from game to game (the stats nerds will love this) but overall will be a net loss to the overall team. Worrying times.

Not to mention the entire reason they sold Palhinha in the first place was that he was benched by Ugarte who is younger and more mobile

You surely can't be calling for the manager to be sacked already.
I thought it was a crazy decision to keep him at the end of last season.

The money he's spent.
The amount of losses in the league.
The embarrassing CL campaign.
Regularly conceding 20+ shots a game to most sides.
I could list alot more but I'll end the rant there.

Casemiro regen :drool:

Realistically that's the best we could hope for, to upgrade Casemiro, all muppetry running amok excluded.
Casemiro was a key player of one of the most successful sides ever, and Brazil went something like 50 games without losing when he started

It's all about having the right players and building the right chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.