Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to his point about us needing a controlling/intelligent midfielder.
Clearly ETH doesn't feel we need that type of player for how he wants us to play for the time being. But longterm, you never know.
Klopp evolved his style at Liverpool.

When last did we get like 90% of our first choice transfer targets?

Nobody will know the answer to that because we never publish our list of targets.

Our actual private list we obviously don't know.

I see what Jimmy is saying - as we aren't publicly missing out on multiple targets, like we have a lot in recent years.

That said, Branthwaite was the first player this summer we knew we'd definitely bid for, he was possibly our key target this Summer, and we didn't sign him. And Ugarte isn't done yet.

Someone who is in the 99% for several categories isn‘t average. I‘m not going to bring out the stats again, it should be well established that he is elite, not average, at pressing, intercepting, tackling and ball retention.

I'd prefer someone who's not average in possession.

I don't believe the "battle of egos" story, to be honest, but if it is true, that's just another reason for us to move on to another target IMO.

Same, I don't believe the story, PSG are playing hardball which is normal, and our club is trying to get them to lower the fee and so on, it's gonna take time but both clubs will eventually come to an agreement

When last did we get like 90% of our first choice transfer targets?

I'm not saying we missed out on 90% of our first choice targets, but I don't think Summer 2023 went exactly as planned.

Not sure we preferred Diogo Costa to Onana, so not going to make any presumptions regarding the GK position, but I think we wanted Kane, ended up with Hojlund (I'm very happy with Hojlund, mind you), wanted Kim Min-jae and Todibo, ended up with no CB, wanted Amadou Onana or Youssouf Fofana, ended up with Amrabat.

Last edited:
Clearly ETH doesn't feel we need that type of player for how he wants us to play for the time being. But longterm, you never know.
Agreed...and with ETH not making these decisions on his own any longer, I hope they prove to be correct!

Which is why I said he was being ignorant.

Why would we get that profile of player if thats clearly not what the manager wants.

I think what he's clearly saying is that the manager is wrong. He isn't ignorant to what the manager wants, he just disagrees with it.

I think he makes sense, great presser and apparently a great tackler in the middle of the field, but poor at progressive passing, but with Mainoo, De Ligt Mazraoui, Shaw and Martinez around him, all who can pick a lovely pass, he doesn't have to take on that responsibility. Anyway he young so could easily develop that side of his game. You need a defensive screen far more than you need another progressive passer of the ball as you are weak often weak when the oppo team breaks quickly.

I think he makes sense, great presser and apparently a great tackler in the middle of the field, but poor at progressive passing
He is light years ahead of McTominay at progressive passing (and at passing in general).

Which is why I said he was being ignorant.

Why would we get that profile of player if thats clearly not what the manager wants.
Disagreeing with what the manager wants does not make you ignorant. Plenty of pundits, journalists, commentators, people in this forum have disagreed with what the Manager has done over the past couple of years. Does that make them all ignorant?

I'd prefer someone who's not average in possession.
He is elite in ball retention.

Our problems last season were lack of ball retention and lack of defensive presence in midfield.

Progressing the ball is not an issue, we have brought in four players to help with that already.

He is elite in ball retention.

Our problems last season were lack of ball retention and lack of defensive presence in midfield.

Progressing the ball is not an issue, we have brought in four players to help with that already.

I don't think it's elite, but we'll see. Elite ball retention for me is Bernardo Silva or Lisandro Martínez.

Also, both Ugarte and Mainoo prefer to progress the ball by carrying it, instead of progressive vertical passes. Ugarte always just looks for the closest teammate to him when passing. If Mainoo had elite passing range, it wouldn't be a problem, but that part of his game hasn't developed to those levels yet, and it may not ever happen. We'll see how ETH tries to solve this, but I can genuinely see a scenario where Collyer develops into a much better Mainoo partner in the next 12 months than Ugarte. He seems to be a better passer than the Uruguayan already and his defensive game looks solid too. He's also trying to be brave and show for the ball more and more in order to become a more complete player.

He is light years ahead of McTominay at progressive passing (and at passing in general).
I'm not sure there's much point in comparing him to McT, they're totally different players, McT for instance is lightyears ahead in shots and goals. McT is much more of a box to box type player and can be very effective in attack, Ugarte's game is pressing, breaking up play and winning the ball, which is much more what you seem to need.

Disagreeing with what the manager wants does not make you ignorant. Plenty of pundits, journalists, commentators, people in this forum have disagreed with what the Manager has done over the past couple of years. Does that make them all ignorant?
Yes. The manager knows best.

I'm not sure what footage you've seen that proves this claim of yours, but I'd love to see it if you can share it with us. McTominay is a good progressive passer when there is space to be exploited, especially in transitions. With Ugarte's passes, it always looks like to me that he barely has enough power in his feet to hit a long range pass, or even a 20 meter pass forward. The ball just travels so slowly in all the passing footages I've seen from him.

I don't think it's elite, but we'll see. Elite ball retention for me is Bernardo Silva or Lisandro Martínez.

Also, both Ugarte and Mainoo prefer to progress the ball by carrying it, instead of progressive vertical passes. Ugarte always just looks for the closest teammate to him when passing. If Mainoo had elite passing range, it wouldn't be a problem, but that part of his game hasn't developed to those levels yet, and it may not ever happen. We'll see how ETH tries to solve this, but I can genuinely see a scenario where Collyer develops into a much better Mainoo partner in the next 12 months than Ugarte. He seems to be a better passer than the Uruguayan already and his defensive game looks solid too. He's also trying to be brave and show for the ball more and more in order to become a more complete player.
Regarding the bolded part, how does this make sense when most of his passes are medium range passes as opposed to short passes? He is also fairly high up for long passes completed and top for accuracy.

I know Pythagoras in Boots told you this in his Ugarte review video but you also conveniently left out the part where he says that his long passing is actually pretty good and something he is able to do frequently and it can easily be worked on.

Obligation to buy allows us to amortize the contract over a longer period of time.

€60m euros over a 5 year contract = €12m euros a season

€10m euro loan fee + €50m euros over a 5 year contract €10m euros a season

Current PSR rules mean that regardless of the contract length the amortization duration is a max of 5 years. This is a potential work around.

He refused to acknowledge the change in pressing structure and how we are much more compact as a unit for one which was incredibly obvious against Fulham. Great player doesn't mean he's a great pundit etc.
I don't normally agree with much of what Scholes says but I didn't see a dramatic change either. It was a bit better but not enough to bring any real optimism.

Scholes was correct when he pointed out the same flaws from last season still existed.

Hopefully we'll get better as the team improve their fitness and a player like Ugarte comes in but those are incremental improvements. We're still going to have plenty of basketball matches this season if we play the way we did against Fulham.

I think he makes sense, great presser and apparently a great tackler in the middle of the field, but poor at progressive passing, but with Mainoo, De Ligt Mazraoui, Shaw and Martinez around him, all who can pick a lovely pass, he doesn't have to take on that responsibility. Anyway he young so could easily develop that side of his game. You need a defensive screen far more than you need another progressive passer of the ball as you are weak often weak when the oppo team breaks quickly.
He's not a great passer, please stop.

Regarding the bolded part, how does this make sense when most of his passes are medium range passes as opposed to short passes? He is also fairly high up for long passes completed and top for accuracy.

I know Pythagoras in Boots told you this in his Ugarte review video but you also conveniently left out the part where he says that his long passing is actually pretty good and something he is able to do frequently and it can easily be worked on.

I had to look that channel up, had no idea who he was. :lol:

I've mostly watched all-touches compilations from him and 1v1 duel compilations, but his passing was a weakness for me. Like I've said many times, I hope he will prove me wrong...and I hope it's really something that can be worked on.

Yeah I'm still hoping the style evolves, however don't see it happening until he can find a similar midfield profile to De Jong which hasn't happened yet

Last edited:
fair play to PSG for getting their money back

in contrast we'll probably be paying Juve or someone to take Sancho on loan
His situation is incomparable to Sancho’s.. He didn’t fall out with the manager and get sent out on loan but started for them lots.

On the show, Ornstein said (when discussing another player, not Ugarte) that depending on when the show is aired, a lot can and will possibly develop. As soon as the episode was aired, I went to compare the time with the Ugarte news coming out, especially Fabrizios emoji reply to that United aggregator tweet that hinted the deal is done. They were both released around the exact same time, so assuming they shot the episode in the morning (maybe yesterday), its safe to assume the story was new. That may include news soon on Scott too, who knows, but pay no attention to what Ornstein said cause it freaked me out too hence why I did that quick check.

What's worrying is the Utd tier 1's haven't come out and corroborated Castles story, however they also haven't denied it either

I'm not sure there's much point in comparing him to McT, they're totally different players, McT for instance is lightyears ahead in shots and goals. McT is much more of a box to box type player and can be very effective in attack, Ugarte's game is pressing, breaking up play and winning the ball, which is much more what you seem to need.

McT should be lightyears away from this club. Its a shame that the Scottish Zidane seems to struggle to find adequate buyers. I wonder why.

I don't think anyone thinks Casemiro and Mainoo combined are doing a good job defensively :)

Read back through the thread for plenty of 'if Casemiro only has to play once per week / gets plenty of games off he's fine alongside Mainoo'.

Even if that was true, my reply was to a post claiming Ugarte is a bench player. Those stats reflect that he is arguably the best DM of his type (high-energy, high volume defending, simple passing, not creative) in the game. On his defending alone he'd bench Casemiro instantly - Mainoo/Mount/Bruno can provide plenty of creativity with someone like that doing the work behind them.

I was referring to his point about us needing a controlling/intelligent midfielder.
I think we are gonna struggle this season to control games, particularly when we need to keep the ball. Casemiro, Mount, Bruno, Ugarte they are all quick releasers of the ball, they get the ball and ping a pass as quickly as they can. That's gonna be problematic.

Our midfield lacks what the spanish call "La Pausa'.

ETH has spent over 200M on our midfield(including Ugarte). If our midfield is still shit after this, its on him.

Last edited:
I think we are gonna struggle this season to control games, particularly when we need to keep the ball. Casemiro, Mount, Bruno, Ugarte they are all quick releasers of the ball, they get the ball and ping a pass as quickly as they can. That's gonna be problematic.

Our midfield lacks what the spanish call "La Pausa'.

ETH has spent over 200M on our midfield(including Ugarte). If our midfield is still shit after this, its on him.

Thank feck we have Mainoo then, in this regard.

Feel like this signing has almost become an embodiment of whether or not our season is going to be successful. It's not for sure, but it feels like there's a lot of expectation riding on it.

Thank feck we have Mainoo then, in this regard.
He's our saving grace. But its not fair or safe to rely on a 19 year old for the whole season. He's not the finished article either.

We needed more midfielders who are composed and intelligent on the ball, players who dont treat the ball like hot potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.