Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports suggesting that the failed Man United takeover of Qatar has added stress to negotiations as Khelafi is holding out for 60M euros to teach Ratcliffe that he won’t get his way everytime.

What a bunch of petty buggers. Glad they didn’t buy United.

But on a more serious note, I think that this presents a risk. They might be leading us on to kill the deal at the end to spite Ratcliffe. Genuinely think they are petty enough to do that.

Remember that's coming from Castles who has an issue with Utd since Mourinho sacked, got everything crossed none of the Utd tier 1's or Ornstein corroborate this later today

The whole point of us signing him as far as I am concerned is for him to be a DM which is what I thought we were getting when we signed Casemiro and that is a player to play in front of the back four and be able to not make us so easily attacked through the centre of the park.
Casemiro is as slow as a wet week and Kobbie while great technically is not blessed with great speed and that was one of the reasons we were so easy to play against last season.
If Ugarte has the ability to sniff out the interceptions and put in the decisive tackles and while not being a Pirlo/Scholes level passer but able to break the lines and be able to receive the ball and distribute under pressure without putting teammates under pressure (Lindelof style) and play as a DM I will welcome him with open arms.
They took a gamble on Casemiro, though. He was used to playing in Spanish league which is slower and he's clearly starting to lose his legs. That doesn't mean he's not an asset, I'm just saying we shouldn't have to rely on Casemiro. Ugarte can play CB also and better than Casemiro at this point.

Mainoo is still developing, we relied on him so much last season I think we all forget how young he still is. Same as Garnacho.

Interceptions is a good trait of his game, from what I've been reading on him and the videos I've watched. There's plenty of evidence of that.

Can you accept he's an upgrade on Casemiro?

That is why United want him, to play as a DM. Not only that, he's comfortable playing CB and CM. So we now could have an extra player in the squad that can play CB, DM and CM. He adds an extra dimension on the pitch and extra option for Ten Hag to change things up whenever he feels the need to.

Ugarte brings the iron manhood that's no longer a part of Casemiro's game. What I see happening is Casemiro taking some game time from Mainoo, who is in his "sophomore" season and everyone knows what happens when a phenom enters his sophomore season. Casemiro can't shield the back line any longer, but he is still quite effective in progressive situations.

They took a gamble on Casemiro, though. He was used to playing in Spanish league which is slower and he's clearly starting to lose his legs. That doesn't mean he's not an asset, I'm just saying we shouldn't have to rely on Casemiro. Ugarte can play CB also and better than Casemiro at this point.

Mainoo is still developing, we relied on him so much last season I think we all forget how young he still is. Same as Garnacho.

Interceptions is a good trait of his game, from what I've been reading on him and the videos I've watched. There's plenty of evidence of that.

That is why United want him, to play as a DM. Not only that, he's comfortable playing CB and CM. So we now could have an extra player in the squad that can play CB, DM and CM. He adds an extra dimension on the pitch and extra option for Ten Hag to change things up whenever he feels the need to.
If he has good energy and can tackle he is an upgrade on Casemiro but we don't need to pay 50mil quid to find a player that is capable of doing that.

If he has good energy and can tackle he is an upgrade on Casemiro but we don't need to pay 50mil quid to find a player that is capable of doing that.
I wasn't talking about the price tag but I do agree 50m could be too much. Problem is, who out there available and fits the right profile and age would you be able to sign for 50m? It comes down to a player is worth what a club is willing to pay.

Ugarte brings the iron manhood that's no longer a part of Casemiro's game. What I see happening is Casemiro taking some game time from Mainoo, who is in his "sophomore" season and everyone knows what happens when a phenom enters his sophomore season. Casemiro can't shield the back line any longer, but he is still quite effective in progressive situations.
I don’t know about manhood but I do like the bite that Martinez and Ugarte together would add to the centre. And from what I understand that De Ligt is also quite a powerful presence.

Reports suggesting that the failed Man United takeover of Qatar has added stress to negotiations as Khelafi is holding out for 60M euros to teach Ratcliffe that he won’t get his way everytime.

But on a more serious note, I think that this presents a risk. They might be leading us on to kill the deal at the end to spite Ratcliffe. Genuinely think they are petty enough to do that.
Worrying on paper, but if they did something like that they would pay for it many times over with agents pushing for all sorts of randomlypettyfecker insurance clauses for future incoming players.

If Ugarte has the ability to sniff out the interceptions and put in the decisive tackles and while not being a Pirlo/Scholes level passer but able to break the lines and be able to receive the ball and distribute under pressure without putting teammates under pressure (Lindelof style) and play as a DM I will welcome him with open arms.
WTF? I genuinely have no idea what your problem is with him then.

He can do that better than pretty much anyone out there. That's precisely why most are keen on him after seeing most rivals run through the giant gap between lines that was our midfield last season.

Some will say we had no midfield. Others will say our defenders had no recovery pace so wouldn't push up. I reckon it was both and that no defender will push up if they know the midfielders ahead of them can't stop a bus.

Remember that's coming from Castles who has an issue with Utd since Mourinho sacked, got everything crossed none of the Utd tier 1's or Ornstein corroborate this later today
I hear ya. Castles isnt usually reliable. But I think he has some links to Mendes. Seems to have been reporting accurately regarding Ugarte thus far.

Also I agree with the premise. Khelafi does seem to be the type to hold such petty grudges.

I don’t know about manhood but I do like the bite that Martinez and Ugarte together would add to the centre. And from what I understand that De Ligt is also quite a powerful presence.

By manhood I don’t mean anything other than bite.

What I’d like to see is a healthy rotation where doable between Bruno and Mount, Mainoo and Casemiro, and Ugarte and Casemiro until Collyer develops the chops to provide cover for Ugarte and we can phase down Casemiro’s minutes in the second half of the season.

WTF? I genuinely have no idea what your problem is with him then.

He can do that better than pretty much anyone out there. That's precisely why most are keen on him after seeing most rivals run through the giant gap between lines that was our midfield last season.

Some will say we had no midfield. Others will say our defenders had no recovery pace so wouldn't push up. I reckon it was both and that no defender will push up if they know the midfielders ahead of them can't stop a bus.
Calm down mate.
We have a new structure in place and it looks like they are doing a good job at the moment and if Ugarte is the player that has been identified to fill a need that we have in midfield them I am okay with that and look forward to see how he copes in the Premier League.
If I have watched various things on him and a couple of games of his in the Copa ( which does not seem to be any gauge of quality reg Pellistri performances) and I find him a bit limited then that is my opinion at the moment.
That is not to say that he will not come to the Premier League and be a star because it will be a higher tempo than he has played before and maybe the Premier league will be a league he is most suited to and if that is the case we will all be happy supporters.

Very likely to be fake news by the way. Typical.

Do you mean Ugarte is comfortable playing as CB or CM too because hadn't realised he could play either

Do you mean Ugarte is comfortable playing as CB or CM too because hadn't realised he could play either
From what I've been reading he's adaptable to both positions. I'm no expert on the player and a lot of articles suggest he can cover as CB and can play CM. Not as much as a CM but can cover if we are in trouble in that area. I think the main reason United want him is because he is a versatile player.

Calm down mate.
We have a new structure in place and it looks like they are doing a good job at the moment and if Ugarte is the player that has been identified to fill a need that we have in midfield them I am okay with that and look forward to see how he copes in the Premier League.
If I have watched various things on him and a couple of games of his in the Copa ( which does not seem to be any gauge of quality reg Pellistri performances) and I find him a bit limited then that is my opinion at the moment.
That is not to say that he will not come to the Premier League and be a star because it will be a higher tempo than he has played before and maybe the Premier league will be a league he is most suited to and if that is the case we will all be happy supporters.
I am calm. "Surprised" is the tone you should read into that.

Don't think we played particularly well at the Copa knockouts. We lost some key players along the way, some never turned up (Valverde seemed knackered) and ended up being completely disjointed. Defensively Ugarte did well, but there wasn't much going on around him to help build from the back. He usually triangulates well with Araújo and Valverde but wound up having to play safe passes to Giménez and Cáceres

I am calm. "Surprised" is the tone you should read into that.

Don't think we played particularly well at the Copa knockouts. We lost some key players along the way, some never turned up (Valverde seemed knackered) and ended up being completely disjointed. Defensively Ugarte did well, but there wasn't much going on around him to help build from the back. He usually triangulates well with Araújo and Valverde but wound up having to play safe passes to Giménez and Cáceres
Did you watch the PSG games last season?

From what I've been reading he's adaptable to both positions. I'm no expert on the player and a lot of articles suggest he can cover as CB and can play CM. Not as much as a CM but can cover if we are in trouble in that area. I think the main reason United want him is because he is a versatile player.

Have seen on transfermkt he has played 11 times at CM and once at CB in a French Cup tie last season

Just for context, if we take €60m as the proposed fee for Ugarte, this is the list of midfielders who cost +/- €10m of that.

Rodri - €70m
Szoboszlai - €70m
Tonali - €64m
Lavia - €62.10m
Matheus Nunes - €62m
Ndombele - €62m
Pjanic - €60m
Keita - €60m
Joao Neves - €59.92
Onana - €59.35
Fred - €59m
Jorginho - €57m
Ruben Neves - €55m
Palhinha - €51m
Douglas Luiz - €51.5m
Partey - €50m
We really got rinsed on Fred.

And if they don't, what do we do?

They're the sellers, meaning they set the price and we can't actually force them to sell at the price they're unwilling to sell at. PSG is incidentally one of those clubs that do not need to sell as they have deep pockets.
Then we move on to other options? or should have done so weeks ago? Werent we out here rejecting bids for McTominay because we are not "pushovers" in the transfer market anymore? We needed to think long term and set standards even if it meant taking a hit?

If we were to sell Mount now, no way we would be able to get 55M for him, feck we wont even get 25 for him. And Chelsea got that on the last year of his contract.

That's what grinds my gears, teams can demand whatever they want from us and we oblige, yet we cant sell our players.

i wonder how many tweets we'll get today repeating the same stuff from last week 'Ugarte deal close, loan with option to buy - player desperate to join". :lol:

Then we move on to other options? or should have done so weeks ago? Werent we out here rejecting bids for McTominay because we are not "pushovers" in the transfer market anymore? We needed to think long term and set standards even if it meant taking a hit?

If we were to sell Mount now, no way we would be able to get 55M for him, feck we wont even get 25 for him. And Chelsea got that on the last year of his contract.

That's what grinds my gears, teams can demand whatever they want from us and we oblige, yet we cant sell our players.
I get moving to other options if PSG's valuation is way above our valuation, but for £6.5M over, is it really worth it? Particularly if other options don't possess the skill sets we've identified as key to elevating our team at this current point in time?
Maybe, maybe not, I don't know to be honest, but I guess we'll see.

i wonder how many tweets we'll get today repeating the same stuff from last week 'Ugarte deal close, loan with option to buy - player desperate to join". :lol:
Itl be like this until the Orny bomb.

I think journalists now know Ornstein is given exclusive news when a full agreement is reached and player on his way for medical. So theyl bombard us with micro news until his drops, so that they can say it's nothing new.

Castles’ source is Jorge Mendes, not Mourinho (who is one of Mendes’ clients). As is Ugarte. There is the possibility he has fresh information on this deal.

Things that the Ugarte deal is now closer than:

1. Steven Spielberg’s encounters of the third kind
2. The Paris 2024 Olympic Men’s 100m sprint final
3. Jaymie and Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones
4. The shave of Gillette’s latest razor
5. Miroslav

Scholes was asked about what kinda midfielder we need, and he mentioned the type that takes a lot of touches, can control the tempo of the game. That's my assesment as well. He mentioned Gundogan, thinks signing a pure DM wont really solve the issue.

I remember back in 2011-13 period SAF would bring on Scholes for just that. Scholes would just take the game by the scruff of the neck, just take the sting out of the game/control play.

Although bigger concern is ETH doesnt even wanna control games, and prefers the chaotic approach? We're doomed if that's the case :lol:

No, I didn't. We're going in circles here. The loan fee is what would go towards the wages.

As I mentioned, the loan fee is all the team getting the player offers. You're right that the loan fee will probably equal Ugarte's wages, but you're wrong if you think we're going to pay all his wages AND give an additional loan fee. The loan is there to offset the wages for PSG; it's PSG who pays his wages while he's on loan.

So again, there is zero additional cost to using the loan-with-obligation option.
So what you're saying is that even though we've agreed wages with Ugarte at £8M a year, now we've simply turned round to him and told him that actually he's only going to be paid £5M in the first year? And then at the end of that first year, we're now only offering him a four year contract instead of a five year contract? Im sorry but that's not a serious suggestion.

Things that the Ugarte deal is now closer than:

1. Steven Spielberg’s encounters of the third kind
2. The Paris 2024 Olympic Men’s 100m sprint final
3. Jaymie and Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones
4. The shave of Gillette’s latest razor
5. Miroslav
Bravo :lol:

Ugart-Day?
Ugartet

Scholes was asked about what kinda midfielder we need, and he mentioned the type that takes a lot of touches, can control the tempo of the game. That's my assesment as well. He mentioned Gundogan, thinks signing a pure DM wont really solve the issue.

I remember back in 2011-13 period SAF would bring on Scholes for just that. Scholes would just take the game by the scruff of the neck, just take the sting out of the game/control play.

Although bigger concern is ETH doesnt even wanna control games, and prefers the chaotic approach? We're doomed if that's the case :lol:

I do think the plan was to sell Sancho, Lindelof, Mejbri, Eriksen and McTominay and bring in another CM with the funds, we well as Ugarte.

Status
Not open for further replies.