Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he has good energy and can tackle he is an upgrade on Casemiro but we don't need to pay 50mil quid to find a player that is capable of doing that.

99th percentile for tackles
98th percentile for tackles won
97th percentile for interceptions
97th percentile for ball recoveries

Anyone who thinks Casemiro is doing a good job defensively is in for a very pleasant surprise if we get Ugarte.

Scholes was asked about what kinda midfielder we need, and he mentioned the type that takes a lot of touches, can control the tempo of the game. That's my assesment as well. He mentioned Gundogan, thinks signing a pure DM wont really solve the issue.

I remember back in 2011-13 period SAF would bring on Scholes for just that. Scholes would just take the game by the scruff of the neck, just take the sting out of the game/control play.

Although bigger concern is ETH doesnt even wanna control games, and prefers the chaotic approach? We're doomed if that's the case :lol:

Mainoo is fully capable of this. In fact when he first started for us that's what he was doing. As time went on he went further up the pitch and controlling wasn't his concern. It's not what Ten Hag wants.

Mainoo is fully capable of this. In fact when he first started for us that's what he was doing. As time went on he went further up the pitch and controlling wasn't his concern. It's not what Ten Hag wants.
That's not Mainoo's natural game imo. He's more of ball carrier, rather than a tempo setter. He can develop that aspect of his game, but that's not his current game at all.

Scholes was asked about what kinda midfielder we need, and he mentioned the type that takes a lot of touches, can control the tempo of the game. That's my assesment as well. He mentioned Gundogan, thinks signing a pure DM wont really solve the issue.

I remember back in 2011-13 period SAF would bring on Scholes for just that. Scholes would just take the game by the scruff of the neck, just take the sting out of the game/control play.

Although bigger concern is ETH doesnt even wanna control games, and prefers the chaotic approach? We're doomed if that's the case :lol:

Scholes comes across incredibly dense/ignorant.

99th percentile for tackles
98th percentile for tackles won
97th percentile for interceptions
97th percentile for ball recoveries

Anyone who thinks Casemiro is doing a good job defensively is in for a very pleasant surprise if we get Ugarte.

I don't think anyone thinks Casemiro and Mainoo combined are doing a good job defensively :)

In what sense? His assessment of how we play under Ten Hag is pretty accurate and he's spot on about the gaps in midfield and the general lack of control. Those are all legitimate concerns.

When last did we get like 90% of our first choice transfer targets?

Since we have no clue what our first choice transfer targets are - that is impossible to answer. In retrospect - Ferguson admits there were a lot of players he wanted that we never get - and those were players there were very few rumours about at the time.

Something concerning was Ornstein said unless McTominay leaves, there might be a concern of getting Ugarte in, because of squad space issues(not money).

I dont agree a lot of with what Scholes says, but he's right about this, we need more intelligent midfielders. He knows a thing or two about controlling the midfield I would say.

In what sense? His assessment of how we play under Ten Hag is pretty accurate and he's spot on about the gaps in midfield and the general lack of control. Those are all legitimate concerns.
He refused to acknowledge the change in pressing structure and how we are much more compact as a unit for one which was incredibly obvious against Fulham. Great player doesn't mean he's a great pundit etc.

We should have signed Neves and moulded him into that kinda player. Ooh well

I don't believe the "battle of egos" story, to be honest, but if it is true, that's just another reason for us to move on to another target IMO.

In some cases yes, but in this one I happen to agree with him. We have struggled to control a game in midfield for many years and part of that problem has been that we have not had footballers who are smart (in football terms). I like Ugarte and I think he will help us, but I am still not convinced that we are going to be able to control the midfield against the top teams.

In some cases yes, but in this one I happen to agree with him. We have struggled to control a game in midfield for many years and part of that problem has been that we have not had footballers who are smart (in football terms). I like Ugarte and I think he will help us, but I am still not convinced that we are going to be able to control the midfield against the top teams.
To say nothing was different against Fulham is dumb though.

Has there ever been a player being reported this "close" to signing but it taking this long to actually reach the agreement?

There have been much longer sagas but I can't remember one being this close to being done and it dragging like this.

Has there ever been a player being reported this "close" to signing but it taking this long to actually reach the agreement?

There have been much longer sagas but I can't remember one being this close to being done and it dragging like this.

It’s only been close this week.
Up until a few days ago, it was widely reported that we were still far apart in valuations and United were exploring other options.

I don't believe the "battle of egos" story, to be honest, but if it is true, that's just another reason for us to move on to another target IMO.
He is coming so you're better off accepting it already. There are no other targets available right now that are as good. And there is no point mentioning Fofana again because he is a B2B midfielder and not a defensive midfielder.

I think Brighton this week would be an interesting test. And I do agree, controlling games in midfield is our kryptonite, but it seems like ETH doesnt even want that? Oh well.

Something concerning was Ornstein said unless McTominay leaves, there might be a concern of getting Ugarte in, because of squad space issues(not money).
It doesn’t make any sense. If Ugarte joins, we can easily demote another midfielder to reserves to make space (in case we can’t sell).

On the show, Ornstein said (when discussing another player, not Ugarte) that depending on when the show is aired, a lot can and will possibly develop. As soon as the episode was aired, I went to compare the time with the Ugarte news coming out, especially Fabrizios emoji reply to that United aggregator tweet that hinted the deal is done. They were both released around the exact same time, so assuming they shot the episode in the morning (maybe yesterday), its safe to assume the story was new. That may include news soon on Scott too, who knows, but pay no attention to what Ornstein said cause it freaked me out too hence why I did that quick check.

He is coming so you're better off accepting it already. There are no other targets available right now that are as good. And there is no point mentioning Fofana again because he is a B2B midfielder and not a defensive midfielder.

I've accepted it, don't worry. :lol: I just think it's a bad move for 51m until I'm proven wrong, which will hopefully happen. Like I've said many times, for ~30m I wouldn't oppose this, or if it was a loan with an option to buy, but we'll see what happens.

That's not Mainoo's natural game imo. He's more of ball carrier, rather than a tempo setter. He can develop that aspect of his game, but that's not his current game at all.
I disagree. He reminds me of Modric the most. Modric could and did do both. He either was next to Xabi Alonso behind Di Maria or was the furthest forward ahead of Kroos and Casemiro.

Nonetheless the point still stands - we don't seem to want to control games.

fair play to PSG for getting their money back

in contrast we'll probably be paying Juve or someone to take Sancho on loan

Someone who is in the 99% for several categories isn‘t average. I‘m not going to bring out the stats again, it should be well established that he is elite, not average, at pressing, intercepting, tackling and ball retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.