Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
After our game v Fulham I'm a bit more worried going for Ugarte as I think we still a better passer from deep in the team to help us get more control of games. Ugarte is a more like a pure destroyer that really won't help us keep possession and play quick passes from deep to get us forward.

Deal is being reported as imminent. Anyone else think it may have been a better option to loan him then decide to buy if all went well?

I don't think his quality and potential is a question. I am beginning to like South American players. They play hard and with passion. Leaves us less reliant on Casemiro, whom by the way, is a good player. We shouldn't rely on Casemiro every week. I think he's more than capable of settling a game coming off the bend or playing a game or two in a row but not every single week.

The dept of the squad has drastically improved now. There should be a lot less injuries!
His quality on the ball is in question and his quality under pressure is in question and he could be a real red card worry with the way he slides in an awful lot of the time.
Seems to me his best asset is his engine just like it was with Fred.

His quality on the ball is in question and his quality under pressure is in question and he could be a real red card worry with the way he slides in an awful lot of the time.
So you made up scenarios in your head and came up with the fact that the only thing good about is his stamina?

Last edited:
So are you saying he has quality on the ball and is quality under pressure?
It depends on what you’re expecting of him. If you’re expecting him to run the show like Scholes or Kroos then you will be disappointed. Thats not his job. Define quality in the ball cause I know he is good under pressure and again if he is lacking he can still improve since he is only 23 and this league is the quickest teacher.

And the red card/slide tackling is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. How do you expect a CDM to win the ball back sometimes when defending? It’s not all about interceptions and clearances. They need to do the dirty work that’s why good tackling CDMs are hard to find. Also you tackle and get a yellow card to prevent counters. It’s part of the game and it’s the smart thing to do in certain situations.

Also this red card talk is such bullshit. We had Roy Keane ffs. He was a walking red car every game with his attitude on the pitch. He is prolly one of the hardest men who has played for United. But did he get a red card everytime he stepped on the pitch? It’s not like Ugarte becomes useless if he gets a yellow and can’t tackle. Plenty of our players have gotten yellow card, defenders included, in the first half of games and still survived to the end of the game.

Last edited:
It depends on what you’re expecting of him. If you’re expecting him to run the show like Scholes or Kroos then you will be disappointed. Thats not his job. Define quality in the ball cause I know he is good under pressure and again if he is lacking he can still improve and this league is the quickest teacher.

And the red card/slide tackling is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. How do you expect a CDM to win the ball back sometimes when defending? It’s not all about interceptions and clearances. They need to do the dirty work that’s why good tackling CDMs are hard to find. Also you tackle and get a yellow card to prevent counters. It’s part of the game and it’s the smart thing to do in certain situations.

Also this red card talk is such bullshit. We had Roy Keane ffs. He was a walking red car every game with his attitude on the pitch. He is prolly one of the hardest men who has played for United. But did he get a red card everytime he stepped on the pitch?
I am not expecting him to be prime Pirlo or any other top class orchestrator from any side you care to mention but I would expect a player to pass through the lines and handle the ball while under pressure and not put the team under pressure in the process.
The Roy Keane comparison is laughable as that is not how the game is refereed these days and if he was playing today he would be a walking red card just like a prime Robbo or a prime Souness would be.
A player that slides in a lot can be a player that is caught out of position a lot which is not great for a DM and anyone that watches football these days knows that going to ground in the penalty area while making tackles is high risk.

PSG / Mendes are trying to get fans to pressure the board to pay up, just like the Murtogh Madness of yesteryears.

PSG / Mendes are trying to get fans to pressure the board to pay up, just like the Murtogh Madness of yesteryears.

Didn't expect it to not move at all after that buoyant tweet from Romano today, think he jumped the gun on this and realised that as the day went on

tenor.gif

We really should sign up the best Plan B we have in hand and tell PSG words that cannot be written here. If they bend to our will, magnificent. But if they hold firm in their insane valuation then eff them.

Manny when are you signing?
I'm so excited
Ooh, how I like it
I try but I can't fight it
Oh, your transfers real close
Plus real real slow
(You know what you're doing, don't you)
You're making it hard for me

Manny when are you signing?
I'm so excited
Ooh, how I like it
I try but I can't fight it
Oh, your transfers real close
Plus real real slow
(You know what you're doing, don't you)
You're making it hard for me
Barry White has got nothing on you!

If he has contacts on the inside do they stop negotiations and tell him they have made progress so he can tweet it everytime. These tweets are getting ridiculous.

"Just had another chat with that lot from Paris. The tone of their voice Fabs, you should have heard it. We are nearly there now."

Reports suggesting that the failed Man United takeover of Qatar has added stress to negotiations as Khelafi is holding out for 60M euros to teach Ratcliffe that he won’t get his way everytime.

What a bunch of petty buggers. Glad they didn’t buy United.

But on a more serious note, I think that this presents a risk. They might be leading us on to kill the deal at the end to spite Ratcliffe. Genuinely think they are petty enough to do that.

It's wild people are so edgy about this (likely) signing and yet if we'd signed Kante back in 2016 people would be losing their minds.

Everything we want,
Ugarte
Everything we need
Ugarte
When he scores a goal
Ugarte
Baaaaaaaaaaby

Nice!

He’s going to become a fan favourite here. Passionate South American who is as hard as nails and is being very underrated on the ball on here. He has the potential to quickly improve into the best ball winning midfielder in the league since Kante. He’s a very exciting no nonsense signing.

Great window, we’ve added steel guile leadership and major potential into the squad. Whatever happens nobody can currently accuse INEOS of a lack of ambition.

Last edited:
An obligation to buy would be quite awkward if he has a disaster of a first season.

An obligation to buy would be quite awkward if he has a disaster of a first season.
We would just drop him from the first team and put him up for sale for the same price we agreed with PSG and wait for a desperate club to buy him.

He has more than just an engine. His engine probably is his biggest trait but that doesn't mean he has nothing else. Yes, I agree he has to be careful when tackling but that's every defensive player.

I think maybe you've missed the whole point of signing him - Ugarte frees up Mainoo. A more creative Mainoo is a much better chance of stuff happening. It also gives Bruno more creative options, he could get into better positions easier to give a lovely lofty ball to the wings.

I've watched a lot of clips on him earlier today and one thing he's very good at is aggressive pressing, he gets right up in his opponents faces. And he does it at the heart of midfield where is a lovely place for another player to gladly intercept after major pressure was put on the opposition.

As per FBREF, last season he out of 61.37 passes per 90, Ugarte has a passing accuracy of 91.2%. That's nothing to be laughed at.

He has more than just an engine. His engine probably is his biggest trait but that doesn't mean he has nothing else. Yes, I agree he has to be careful when tackling but that's every defensive player.

I think maybe you've missed the whole point of signing him - Ugarte frees up Mainoo. A more creative Mainoo is a much better chance of stuff happening. It also gives Bruno more creative options, he could get into better positions easier to give a lovely lofty ball to the wings.

I've watched a lot of clips on him earlier today and one thing he's very good at is aggressive pressing, he gets right up in his opponents faces. And he does it at the heart of midfield where is a lovely place for another player to gladly intercept after major pressure was put on the opposition.

As per FBREF, last season he out of 61.37 passes per 90, Ugarte has a passing accuracy of 91.2%. That's nothing to be laughed at.
The whole point of us signing him as far as I am concerned is for him to be a DM which is what I thought we were getting when we signed Casemiro and that is a player to play in front of the back four and be able to not make us so easily attacked through the centre of the park.
Casemiro is as slow as a wet week and Kobbie while great technically is not blessed with great speed and that was one of the reasons we were so easy to play against last season.
If Ugarte has the ability to sniff out the interceptions and put in the decisive tackles and while not being a Pirlo/Scholes level passer but able to break the lines and be able to receive the ball and distribute under pressure without putting teammates under pressure (Lindelof style) and play as a DM I will welcome him with open arms.

Looks like we will blink first as reports suggesting that we will pay what PSG want - 60mil Euro. I stated earlier playing poker with oil club won't work because they have no qualms to let the player rot. They have bottomless pit and can be creative in their accounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.