Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, we can retrospectively look at things and say Sancho was not worth his fee, but at the time many thought he was worth it, every transfer is a risk but some are considered good at the time due to the potential of the player.

I also think the current management can be judged on this summer transfers, and in my opinion, I think they are doing a good job, especially with the current signings and even if they overpay for Ugarte, I will still this this transfer window is a good one for INEOS

You still seem to be missing the point by an impressively large distance.

So what if some people thought Sancho was worth it at the time? Some didn’t. Just like some people think Ugarte is worth it and some don’t. There is no substantive difference between the two except for your entirely arbitrary opinion that one was worth it even though he ended up a flop, and one isn’t worth it even though we haven’t actually signed him yet, don’t know what the deal will be if we do, or how he will fit and and perform over time.

This is a sensible way to look at things. Others should take note.

In twelve months, the only current midfielders likely to be at the club are Mainoo, Bruno and Mount. Ugarte now and additional bodies next summer is the logical step.
Just you wait for the Redemption of Hannibal thread. It will be glorious

How do you know they’re not negotiating the structure, not the overall amount? Your guess is as good as mine what the actual costs are at this moment, so not sure how that supports your point.
You reckon they’ve been negotiating payment structure for the whole summer? PSG apparently haven’t paid Sporting a penny yet and I would imagine they are looking to pay off that €60 million that they owe. They don’t need upfront payment given their owners.

And if they don't, what do we do?

They're the sellers, meaning they set the price and we can't actually force them to sell at the price they're unwilling to sell at. PSG is incidentally one of those clubs that do not need to sell as they have deep pockets.
Move on to another target. That’s what well run clubs do.

People forget the importance of a dirty bastard in our midfield along with footballing abilities and let me remind you that we are signing an absolute shithouse. Time to repost that recent clip against Argentina where he calls De Paul a Messi cocksucker.

Yeah I feel like he's a proper Atletico Madrid style defensive midfielder... Which is a good sign for us.

25 million doesn't even get you a Mctominay these days, and he doesnt raise either ceiling or floor.

Youssouf Fofana cost 17m. Berge cost 25m. Trust me, there's no point in convincing yourself that Ugarte is a 51m player whilst not even being better than 90% of the midfielders we could've got in the 15-35m range.

People forget the importance of a dirty bastard in our midfield along with footballing abilities and let me remind you that we are signing an absolute shithouse. Time to repost that recent clip against Argentina where he calls De Paul a Messi cocksucker.

I promise I'll never forget the importance of a dirty bastard in midfield!!

and one or two in defence too!

Youssouf Fofana cost 17m. Berge cost 25m. Trust me, there's no point in convincing yourself that Ugarte is a 51m player whilst not even being better than 90% of the midfielders we could've got in the 15-35m range.
Where do you come up with this nonsense? Ugarte tops several stat categories.

It’s so weird what we posters do with this whole “market value”. We are all guilty of it so I’m not calling just you out on it. But let’s just take a step back and think about it. We were willing to pay £43m for him. It doesn’t matter what you think he is worth cause this isn’t FM.

This isn’t Murtough and Arnold negotiating. This is Ashworth, Wilcox, Vivell etc negotiating. I trust them more than our previous executives. So they value him at £43m cause he is still young and can improve massively. No one is the finished article at 23/24 years of age.

PSG asking for £50m is not right cause they want to rid of him BUT I said this before - think about the opportunity cost. If we spend this extra £7m and he helps get top four then we might get back more than this £7m if we play Champions League. I’m not saying he will be sorely responsible for us to get 4 but sometimes it’s one player who can make a huge difference and make us better. Think how Fernandes and Casemeiro did in their first season. They were difference makers.

Ugarte will probably improve us. But from everything I've seen so far, he's a floor-raiser with a limited ceiling. This has been my point ever since we've been linked with him. He's far too expensive for what he provides, both short-term and especially long-term. Wages will be high too.

It's golf that has the idiosyncratic usage. 'Par' was used to define an 'average level of quality.' Golf has a scoring system where the further below the average you get the better you do.

Are they even dms?

Ugarte will probably improve us. But from everything I've seen so far, he's a floor-raiser with a limited ceiling. This has been my point ever since we've been linked with him. He's far too expensive for what he provides, both short-term and especially long-term. Wages will be high too.
Do you think Fofana or Berge would have raised the floor level as much as Ugarte? I'm not well versed, but what £15m-35m players are his level?

Considering how outspoken you are about how little you rate him, I'm curious how much you've actually watched him play?

We’re in the advanced concluding final closing stages! Ugarte is pushing so so hard. Mendes is pushing too and at the other end Dan Ashworth is tugging!

Maybe not Modric level (who is) but hes definitley a top top prospect and one that is rightly going to attract a ton of attention.

Hes exactly the type of player that could end up signing for City and fitting them like a glove like Rice did at Arsenal.

Or he could just be a load of English hype and also have a bang average season this year.

There's no one who's perfect.
And ain't that the truth. I think a pure destroyer will be good for this team and allow kobbie to focus further forward. I'm happy for him to cover ground and shield back four and just give the ball to better players like kobbie and bruno to create.

He isnt limited as much as you have convinced yourself he is but also he is 23. Not 29. He will improve. Was Rodri this good when City got him?

And ain't that the truth. I think a pure destroyer will be good for this team and allow kobbie to focus further forward. I'm happy for him to cover ground and shield back four and just give the ball to better players like kobbie and bruno to create.

That's the plan.
Plus our defenders are all good passers now. Yoro, De Ligt and Mazraoui have raised the level of our defensive passing.
We can start the improved passing from the back line and get the ball forward quickly to Mainoo / Bruno / wingers.

That's the plan.
Plus our defenders are all good passers now. Yoro, De Ligt and Mazraoui have raised the level of our defensive passing.
We can start the improved passing from the back line and get the ball forward quickly to Mainoo / Bruno / wingers.
Fact.id easily pay the 60m for a young dM who can cover ground and help decrease all them shots we conceded last season.

Move on to another target. That’s what well run clubs do.
Agreed - on the assumption that the alternative target has the same qualities and is available for cheaper. This isn't always the case. I asked the question earlier in the thread around who folks felt were cheaper but similar alternatives. If there's none (not saying that's the case but could be), it might be why Ashworth and Co are having to concede ground.

Bet after all the moaning in here, we don’t end up paying this €60m being touted today and it’s actually closer to what we are demanding.

Waiting for another Romano update any second now - “agreement really really close, urgate pushing hard, personal terms agreed. Only wants United “ this man has the easiest job on the planet

Talk of the Devils podcast are still saying that there won't be any more signings without a sale.

So I doubt this is 'imminent' if we're still waiting on notoriously tight Napoli to put £25m together for McTominay.

Bet after all the moaning in here, we don’t end up paying this €60m being touted today and it’s actually closer to what we are demanding.
Hope so, but even if it is then it won't be reported that way anyway,

Talk of the Devils podcast are still saying that there won't be any more signings without a sale.

So I doubt this is 'imminent' if we're still waiting on notoriously tight Napoli to put £25m together for McTominay.
It’s being well advocated here that we don’t need to sell to buy. We are still within the PSR limits.

Yeah that’s obvious bollocks considering it’s an initial loan probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.