Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely can’t believe people are moaning about this.

We’re 1 injury away from having to play Mctominay as a DM. Casemiro will be here for this season, MAYBE next season as well, meaning we’ll have to once again refresh this position very soon.

He’s a young player, highly skilled, and fairly flexible (can play alongside both Casemiro and Mainoo). He gives us a lot of flexibility and cover in a key position. I think he’s the type of player that will go a long way in allowing us to play the way we want throughout the season.

I don’t understand where this notion comes that Ugarte can’t pass. He is going to be surprise you this season if he joins us and he will be very helpful in starting our counter attacks with his long passes from deep. We don’t have to depend on Bruno everytime, who misplaces his fair share of passes btw. He ain’t no Scholes either.

I didn't say he couldn't pass—he's actually quite good in possession. However, he's not particularly adventurous, and I believe we struggle to break down teams that employ a low block. We need someone creative, someone who can unlock a well-organized defense. With that being said, I definitely think a player like Ugarte would add value to the team. I also think our attacking quartet needs to be more clinical in front of goal and more decisive in the final third.

So PSG have a need to sell him because he isn’t wanted/needed. They had to pay a premium to get him due to a release clause as the club didn’t want to sell him.

I would remind PSG what price we sold them Di Maria for. It wasn’t the £59 million we paid Real.
They have a want, not a need. Big difference. They got him cheaper than market value.

To be fair we could debate this all day. To me his value is whatever we deem his importance to be to us.

You are not right about Mount because he was injured for the entire season. So let's see how he does this season.

Casemiro isn't particularly good in the first phase of play either, and not press resistant, but he was still amazing for us in his first season.

What player - in your eyes - is both great in the first phase of play and great defensivelyand available on the market?
Mount is no first 11 player as long as Bruno is here and 60m on a second choice non creative player seems too expensive. He is never going to be an 8 either, so the money spent on bringing him in was not worth it. For him to prove himself he has to play first and I just can’t see a path towards being a starter for Mount.

For us to dominate games in possession we need at least two of our midfielders to be good under pressure and one to be a high volume passer, at the moment none of Ugarte, Mainoo or Bruno are high volume passers and only Maino is really good under pressure(IMO).
There are better players like the Sociedad midfielder, Kone, Bennaceer etc. To be honest I am no expert in the market but profile wise I am not convinced about Ugarte. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised

I wouldn't say a player who had 37 appearances last season belongs in the "out of favour" bracket.

That was last season. Since then, PSG have made additions to the midfield as he is quite clearly ''out of favour''.

AWB made 30 apps for us last season and is no longer here as he was also out of favour.

I think he's what's known as a floor raising player.

He only needs to be better defensively than McTominay and Eriksen and it'll be a very good signing
We've done a decent job over the past 4 years of raising the floor, even Ole did a reasonable job of getting rid of some players who were no hopers.

Hopefully these B list signings we're making this year can make a difference to how we play and train. Then next season I believe we will go for a slightly higher calibre of signing to replace players like Shaw and Rashford. Those replacements will cost more money so probably not feasible for this window, but with the decreasing wage bill and reduced squad numbers we could be in a better position next summer to raise the ceiling of the squad.

I don't think we'll need more than 3 first team calibre players next summer to begin challenging for the league.

-Left Back
-Winger (Side dependant on where Garnacho is going to play next season)
-Number 8 to rotate with Mainoo or bring added versatility to the midfield.

Playing Casemiro as a dm again would be a mistake, he gets dribbled past very easily these days. He has been great the last two games, so what is your issue?

I don't judge based on 2 games. He has made a name as one of the best DMs in the world, yet he comes here and we play him in all sorts of other different roles and complain when he isn't as good. Even in his last season, Real recognised his limitations with age and adjusted, to great effect. We have seemingly never sought to have a balance in midfield like myself and seemingly many other are hoping for. Ugarte is only marginally better in the 'being dribbled past' stats in a weaker league. I just hope we're not sat here in 12 months having the same conversation about him.

Mount is no first 11 player as long as Bruno is here and 60m on a second choice non creative player seems too expensive. He is never going to be an 8 either, so the money spent on bringing him in was not worth it. For him to prove himself he has to play first and I just can’t see a path towards being a starter for Mount.

For us to dominate games in possession we need at least two of our midfielders to be good under pressure and one to be a high volume passer, at the moment none of Ugarte, Mainoo or Bruno are high volume passers and only Maino is really good under pressure(IMO).
There are better players like the Sociedad midfielder, Kone, Bennaceer etc. To be honest I am no expert in the market but profile wise I am not convinced about Ugarte. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised
That's not true. We dominated possession against Fulham and none of our midfielders were making a lot of passes. There are other ways to dominate possession than just passing sideways to each other just to up the pass statistics. Pointless possession, just like under LvG.

Kone has worse passing than Ugarte and plays for France U23 because he can't get ahead of Rabiot for France. He is not even a defensive midfielder, but a box-to-box midfielder. Zubimendi doesn't want to leave Real Sociedad and Bennacer has regressed so he is far from better than Ugarte.
I think he'll surprise you because you seem to underrate him a lot.

steady on he's a decent young midfielder not a prime Modric

Maybe not Modric level (who is) but hes definitley a top top prospect and one that is rightly going to attract a ton of attention.

Hes exactly the type of player that could end up signing for City and fitting them like a glove like Rice did at Arsenal.

Obligations to buy make me nervous.

If he turns out to be not good enough there's probably no worse feeling knowing you've already got a sizeable chunk of your summer budget attributed to him and you have no choice. Dunno it just feels weirder than straight buying them and it not working out because you've technically not paid the money yet.

I was glad we paid a little bit more on the Amrabat loan to turn the obligation into an option. Benefited us in the long term.

If he turns out to be not good enough there's probably no worse feeling knowing you've already got a sizeable chunk of your summer budget attributed to him and you have no choice. Dunno it just feels weirder than straight buying them and it not working out because you've technically not paid the money yet.

I was glad we paid a little bit more on the Amrabat loan to turn the obligation into an option. Benefited us in the long term.

I know what you mean, but we could have bought him and he's mince and that's us paid a massive outlay straight away.

Given that it looks like we are not parting with funds for Ugarte till next summer, surely we can use that Ugarte money that was set aside this year to get another player this summer no?

Incredible that some people are moaning about this possible signing, when literally, since Fergie retired, we've been banging on about the need of a DM with a bit of bite in him like Keane and our lack of decent midfielders.

We need a guy like this, someone who's not afraid to get stuck in and disrupt the opponents play. We haven't had it for so long.

Everyone agrees that Casemiros legs are going and as good as Mainoo is, there's a definite question mark over his stamina right now. He often goes off a cliff come the 60-70 min mark and is not exactly blessed with pace, so we need someone who's got the engine to go all game and be a royal pain in the arse for opponents.

But above all, this guy is gagging to play at United, he'll run himself into the ground for us, I'm sure. Be happy that the board are finally doing what we've been asking for.

Yeah, it's never great. Hopefully it gives Ugarte more impetus to show up.

Romano got demoted to tier 3 on another well known site yesterday, I respect him buy ill wait for Ornstein

Romano is rehashing the same sentence for a month now.

When he says "as I broke last week" "as I mentioned" He knows nothing.

He just wants to generate clicks and get traffic.

Romano got demoted to tier 3 on another well known site yesterday, I respect him buy ill wait for Ornstein

Probably because we've been negotiating for a month.

I think he's what's known as a floor raising player.

He only needs to be better defensively than McTominay and Eriksen and it'll be a very good signing

You can find floor-raisers for 25m and reasonable wages. I love those types of signings, especially early on in a team's project. Paying 51m for a player who's arguably worth closer to 25m than 51m is not a "very good" signing. Even if he raises the floor, the ceiling is limited.

I can see this one being my favourite signing this summer if they manage to close the deal.

Actually his injury history has made me feel better - only missed 2 games in the last 4 years (due to COVID)

As long as the obligation figure is reasonable then he's worth the risk but if its the rumoured 60m, then I'd worry that it'll be a huge chunk of our budget next summer, especially if we don't get champions league football.

Yeah don’t think he has any inside track on this, he’s just picking up the general feeling from other journos and framing it how he always does. We’re approaching the last week of the transfer window so of course things are going to accelerate.

He's from pretty close to the area, we've been interested before, he's the perfect fit for us long term and we have competent owners now who will try to get guys like this who have star potential. He's also friends with Mainoo now after the summer by many accounts.

A long term midfield of Wharton at the base of a 3, Ugarte providing ball winning and energy and Mainoo being free to provide the attacking creativity would be brilliant imo.
I can't say I've seen Wharton much at all, but if he is half the player people make him out to be this is the right take on it.

For now we can use Ugarte next to Mainoo/Casemiro depending on what the oppo looks like.

In one/two seasons there's no Case, Bruno is 30+ and Mainoo likely starts playing further up the pitch so there's plenty of room for that game controlling DLP people keep banging on about, Wharton or not.

Genuinely can’t believe people are moaning about this.

We’re 1 injury away from having to play Mctominay as a DM. Casemiro will be here for this season, MAYBE next season as well, meaning we’ll have to once again refresh this position very soon.

He’s a young player, highly skilled, and fairly flexible (can play alongside both Casemiro and Mainoo). He gives us a lot of flexibility and cover in a key position. I think he’s the type of player that will go a long way in allowing us to play the way we want throughout the season.

Don't you know that this is the place for pure negativity. Just have a look at the 4 signings so far.
Yoro signed for money
Zirkzee can't even start for the Dutch.
De ligt is a fat dier understudy.
Mazraoui is a broken man.

I wouldn’t trust PSG as far as I could throw them. Would not be surprised if they raised the fee at the last minute and Utd would fall for it. We have not made any sort of meaningful alternative during all this talking although we have reportedly looked at alternatives to no avail . There is no reason why PSG should drag things out till the last minute other than to ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.