Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet they saw how important Kante was for Leicester and looked for the most similar player.

Genuinely can’t believe people are moaning about this.

We’re 1 injury away from having to play Mctominay as a DM. Casemiro will be here for this season, MAYBE next season as well, meaning we’ll have to once again refresh this position very soon.

He’s a young player, highly skilled, and fairly flexible (can play alongside both Casemiro and Mainoo). He gives us a lot of flexibility and cover in a key position. I think he’s the type of player that will go a long way in allowing us to play the way we want throughout the season.

Yep this is how I think about it too. He'll be a useful profile in the squad in the medium / long term even if we end up getting a Rodri type player.

The only question mark is the price. We're overpaying by 10-15M for me. He's an unwanted player at PSG and players of his ilk aren't exactly rare. I'm surprised we had such a deep stack of quality CBs lined up when pursuits for Branthwaite and De Ligt ran into trouble and yet the only other idea we had was fecking Sander Berge. Maybe the scouts really believe in the guy and are pushing for him specifically.

Obligations to buy make me nervous.

If he turns out to be not good enough there's probably no worse feeling knowing you've already got a sizeable chunk of your summer budget attributed to him and you have no choice. Dunno it just feels weirder than straight buying them and it not working out because you've technically not paid the money yet.

I was glad we paid a little bit more on the Amrabat loan to turn the obligation into an option. Benefited us in the long term.
I’m also not fully convinced by him being our main 6 but it’s all based on a few clips and given the sorry state of our midfield I can’t help but feel some excitement.

How do his stats compare to Rice? is he a similar player to him?
From what I understand he isn’t as good a passer or going forward in general but he might be a better dribbler in tight spots and his Kante like interceptions and ball winning is probably better. He’s more of a chaser than a sitter. Again, my hunch is based on clips and stats I see posted here.

Very excited for this to be done. He looks exactly like the type of player that will complement the rest of our team - someone with a bit of bite to stop people walking clean through our midfield.

Hope we can get it over the line.

But mince is delicious. Crazy scots
It's bloody weird as I also love mince, never understood it.
And also to add Mince and potatoes is a Scottish favourite cuisine. I think they need to revisit this.
One of the greatest dishes. And yes, mince should actually mean something is great. I've no idea why it is meant in slang as terrible.

Don't you know that this is the place for pure negativity. Just have a look at the 4 signings so far.
Yoro signed for money
Zirkzee can't even start for the Dutch.
De ligt is a fat dier understudy.
Mazraoui is a broken man.

It's not the same people "moaning" about this. I was on board with every signing so far and yet don't want Ugarte. I'm sure there are others like me as well.

"can't even start for the Dutch" "Bayern reject" "benched by Dier" etc. these are obviously nonsense comments and anyone who reasons with these shouldn't be listened to as it's clear they don't know what they're talking about...but with Ugarte you just need to analyze the player a bit and watch some footage, and it becomes evident he's not ideal. Would probably be an alright signing for 30-35m but 51 is above even peak value.

It's not the same people "moaning" about this. I was on board with every signing so far and yet don't want Ugarte. I'm sure there are others like me as well.

"can't even start for the Dutch" "Bayern reject" "benched by Dier" etc. these are obviously nonsense comments and anyone who reasons with these shouldn't be listened to as it's clear they don't know what they're talking about...but with Ugarte you just need to analyze the player a bit and watch some footage, and it becomes evident he's not ideal. Would probably be an alright signing for 30-35m but 51 is above even peak value.
Ok, who is the ideal attainable midfield signing for this united team?

They have a want, not a need. Big difference. They got him cheaper than market value.

To be fair we could debate this all day. To me his value is whatever we deem his importance to be to us.
Their asset will be decreasing in value if they don’t need him. Theres no way they’re getting more money if he’s not starting games for them this year.

Of course his value is whatever we see fit to pay, which seems to be less than €60 million based on how long this is taking, so I’m not sure how that supports your point.

You can find floor-raisers for 25m and reasonable wages. I love those types of signings, especially early on in a team's project. Paying 51m for a player who's arguably worth closer to 25m than 51m is not a "very good" signing. Even if he raises the floor, the ceiling is limited.
25 million doesn't even get you a Mctominay these days, and he doesnt raise either ceiling or floor.

I just hope he gets the rub of the green from the refs in the mould of Fernandinho who avoided getting carded for all the fouls he makes every game.

Knowing our luck, he will get carded for the first tackle he makes and then will have to contain his game to avoid getting a red card.

I hate this take.

It’s not that he hasn’t performed at all. He joined PSG two days after Enrique, so obviously wasn’t his signing. The truth of the matter is that stylistically he doesn’t suit the manager and didn’t really get a crack at the whip. Doesn’t mean he performed badly or is a bad player, just that he’s not a fit.

That could be our gain as he suits our style.
A couple of CL games aside, he actually did play well and earned plenty of praise from Enrique. It's just that Vitinha's emergence a few months into the season - which nobody really expected - left Ugarte the worse fit, as you allude to.

I just hope he gets the rub of the green from the refs in the mould of Fernandinho who avoided getting carded for all the fouls he makes every game.

Knowing our luck, he will get carded for the first tackle he makes and then will have to contain his game to avoid getting a red card.
Michael Oliver will be all over it. He'll be watching Ugarte more than the match. Desperate to flash his red.

Sends United players off for fun. Don't think he's ever sent off an opposition player against United in 10+ years

It's bloody weird as I also love mince, never understood it.

One of the greatest dishes. And yes, mince should actually mean something is great. I've no idea why it is meant in slang as terrible.
It makes no sense. Almost as bad as people describing something as "below par" to mean bad when below par is good in golf.

Their asset will be decreasing in value if they don’t need him. Theres no way they’re getting more money if he’s not starting games for them this year.

Of course his value is whatever we see fit to pay, which seems to be less than €60 million based on how long this is taking, so I’m not sure how that supports your point.

How do you know they’re not negotiating the structure, not the overall amount? Your guess is as good as mine what the actual costs are at this moment, so not sure how that supports your point.

People forget the importance of a dirty bastard in our midfield along with footballing abilities and let me remind you that we are signing an absolute shithouse. Time to repost that recent clip against Argentina where he calls De Paul a Messi cocksucker.

Closer than it has ever been.

iu

loan with an obligation to buy is great if the lad has a great season with us and he's well worth the money

one thing though that makes me wonder....if the loan has a small fee, will that allow us to dip into the market for another player considering we still have money to spend and have sold a few of the younger kids to help with the FFP

They can demand all they like. We shouldn’t pay it. They have to take a loss on a player that didn’t perform to expectations. His value has gone down.
And if they don't, what do we do?

They're the sellers, meaning they set the price and we can't actually force them to sell at the price they're unwilling to sell at. PSG is incidentally one of those clubs that do not need to sell as they have deep pockets.

Sounds like it's a couple of days away from a here we go so we'll be lucky to have him for the Liverpool game.

Obligations to buy make me nervous.

If he turns out to be not good enough there's probably no worse feeling knowing you've already got a sizeable chunk of your summer budget attributed to him and you have no choice. Dunno it just feels weirder than straight buying them and it not working out because you've technically not paid the money yet.

I was glad we paid a little bit more on the Amrabat loan to turn the obligation into an option. Benefited us in the long term.
Ultimately you just have to treat this as an outright purchase.

The loan becomes irrelevant when there's an obligation to buy, we're just deferring the expense till next summer.

...but with Ugarte you just need to analyze the player a bit and watch some footage, and it becomes evident he's not ideal. Would probably be an alright signing for 30-35m but 51 is above even peak value.
It’s so weird what we posters do with this whole “market value”. We are all guilty of it so I’m not calling just you out on it. But let’s just take a step back and think about it. We were willing to pay £43m for him. It doesn’t matter what you think he is worth cause this isn’t FM.

This isn’t Murtough and Arnold negotiating. This is Ashworth, Wilcox, Vivell etc negotiating. I trust them more than our previous executives. So they value him at £43m cause he is still young and can improve massively. No one is the finished article at 23/24 years of age.

PSG asking for £50m is not right cause they want to rid of him BUT I said this before - think about the opportunity cost. If we spend this extra £7m and he helps get top four then we might get back more than this £7m if we play Champions League. I’m not saying he will be sorely responsible for us to get 4 but sometimes it’s one player who can make a huge difference and make us better. Think how Fernandes and Casemeiro did in their first season. They were difference makers.

Last edited:
Agree, this is a key piece of context.

I would understand the reluctance to sign Ugarte more if we were looking to sign a key player to be a lynchpin in the starting eleven over the next half-decade or so. And signing Ugarte would therefore block us from signing better prospects for that role, or see him pushed to limited gametime when we do shortly sign a better prospect for that role.

But the actual circumstance of this signing is Amrabat having just left the squad and Casemiro, McTominay and Eriksen all having glaring doubts over their immediate futures at the club. Not to mention our seemingly heavy reliance on the 19 year old Mainoo for the skillset he brings to midfield.

The point being that irrespective of how well Ugarte does, we will still be looking to sign other midfielders over the coming transfer windows, simply to fill upcoming vacancies in the squad we can already see approaching.

In other words even if someone like Wharton is signed next summer, that still leaves Ugarte in a position to play a lot of minutes over the following seasons. Because we still won't have that many options in midfield.

This is a sensible way to look at things. Others should take note.

In twelve months, the only current midfielders likely to be at the club are Mainoo, Bruno and Mount. Ugarte now and additional bodies next summer is the logical step.

I find it funny that Enrique doesn’t fancy him but he still played 37 games for PSG last season..

Michael Oliver will be all over it. He'll be watching Ugarte more than the match. Desperate to flash his red.

Sends United players off for fun. Don't think he's ever sent off an opposition player against United in 10+ years
Yea that's a worry. A lot of his tackles would get called foul in the PL. Just hope he has a knack for avoiding yellow cards.

It makes no sense. Almost as bad as people describing something as "below par" to mean bad when below par is good in golf.
:lol: yeah we are getting deep into slang stuff that doesn't make sense, I love golf and that expression has never made sense either.

Mince I can only think must have been because back in the day, all the left over meat was chucked into a mincer, ergo mince was the rubbish stuff left over. But obviously not the case now? I don't know :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.