Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the alternative is to waste another season thanks to CDM absence, it’s totally wrong.

There are not that many Tchouamenis or Camavingas currently for sale, so it’s a question of alternatives. If there are none, then the price may be justified
Not every player in the squad needs to be that level of player. If he’s not exactly the type of midfielder we want, we shouldn’t be committing to that type of fee regardless. That kind of thinking has got us into this mess with Casemiro.

There have to be some squad level players that we can get at half that price who can still serve a purpose next season if we can get someone like Wharton as first choice. The whole midfield is going to be gutted in the next 12 months, bodies will be important.

So it’s 50m pounds isn’t it? For that sort of fee, you’d expect someone who commands a first team place imo - like Martinez. Enough of adding squad players for inflated fees. Hope Ineos has got this right and he isn’t another “option” in a year or twos time.

I am glad we aren’t going over 50/60m for any transfer this summer. For awhile I’ve wanted us to enforce a similar limit.

This paying for our players over 5 years confuses me. If we do that again and again we'll be paying every year for many previous players meaning it makes no difference than if we paid for these players outright.
My GF once had so many klarnas that I pointed out that her monthly combined outlay was more than it would be had she bought these things outright say one by one monthly.

It’s not ideal, but not too much of a problem if we still have the money to go out and get the ideal player, if one appears, and he becomes available.

I have vague recollections of midfielders being available a while ago, who we couldn’t go for because we’d spaffed £40m on Donny. I don’t want another repeat of that really.

Yeah or 60M on Mount. That still stings.

I think we'll see more capital letters in the tweets today... like "REALLY PUSHING", "ADVANCED", "REALLY CLOSE", "HOURS AWAY"

Using the same exact words as we've seen in the last month, but with capital letters will show us how much closer we are today than a month ago

Lisan al gaib :lol:

This paying for our players over 5 years confuses me. If we do that again and again we'll be paying every year for many previous players meaning it makes no difference than if we paid for these players outright.
My GF once had so many klarnas that I pointed out that her monthly combined outlay was more than it would be had she bought these things outright say one by one monthly.

This isn't some new method Ineos have introduced to world football. United and every club have been doing this forever. Fees are usually amortized over several years. There are some rare cases where there's a release clause that needs to be paid in full, or when the selling club insists on a lot of money upfront, but other than that, most signings' fees are paid in installments over several years.

So it’s 50m pounds isn’t it? For that sort of fee, you’d expect someone who commands a first team place imo - like Martinez. Enough of adding squad players for inflated fees. Hope Ineos has got this right and he isn’t another “option” in a year or twos time.

I am glad we aren’t going over 50/60m for any transfer this summer. For awhile I’ve wanted us to enforce a similar limit.

He'll certainly command a first team place in the short-term. The question is more whether he'll be more than a squad player in, say, three years' time.

But then you could draw a comparison with a signing like Thomas Partey going to Arsenal for €50m back in 2020. Even though he was himself upgraded on after just three seasons, I don't think Arsenal particularly regret paying that for someone who improved them in the short term and is now a valuable squad player within the side they rebuilt over that time.

Also suspect we'd be much less likely to regret spending €60m on Ugarte than City will spending €62m on Mattheus Nunes last summer, say. And to my mind even if he ends up being a squad player long term, that would still represent better value for us in our current position than the €51m Bayern just dropped on a 29 year old Palhinha.

I think we'll see more capital letters in the tweets today... like "REALLY PUSHING", "ADVANCED", "REALLY CLOSE", "HOURS AWAY"

Using the same exact words as we've seen in the last month, but with capital letters will show us how much closer we are today than a month ago
The transfer sounds constipated when you put it like that.

There were a couple of reports that simply said "before deadline day." That's what I'm going with as an expectation.

I’m hoping the fee will be lower than that, all the talk of us paying what they want is coming from the French side, it’s no surprise they’d put a more positive spin on it for the French club involved in the deal. I guess we’ll have to just wait and see. The optics won’t look too great if we’ve been in negotiations for weeks claiming we won’t pay what they want only for us to ultimately cave in to their demands as the deadline gets closer. That’s a Utd of old move.

He'll certainly command a first team place in the short-term. The question is more whether he'll be more than a squad player in, say, three years' time.

But then you could draw a comparison with a signing like Thomas Partey going to Arsenal for €50m back in 2020. Even though he was himself upgraded on after just three seasons, I don't think Arsenal particularly regret paying that for someone who improved them in the short term and is now a valuable squad player within the side they rebuilt over that time.

Also suspect we'd be much less likely to regret spending €60m on Ugarte than City will spending €62m on Mattheus Nunes last summer, say. And to my mind even if he ends up being a squad player long term, that would still represent better value for us in our current position than the €51m Bayern just dropped on a 29 year old Palhinha.

Agreed. The failure would be if we're in the market next summer or the summer after looking to upgrade him.

However if we decide we needed an upgrade in 3 years time, when we've only got £20m of amortisation left - it's not a bad situation to be in. You have the option to either sell him at that point or make him a bench option.

Agreed. The failure would be if we're in the market next summer or the summer after looking to upgrade him.
Yep. Next season we need to move Casemiro on, so at that point if we are looking for a starter rather than a backup, that means something went wrong.

Ugarte would come straight in if he signs, Ten Hag wants a CDM with his qualities and mobility.

It's a very common accounting practice. I'm not in that field at all so hopefully someone will correct me if wrong here, but the logic is: although we talk about players like physical assets, you can't actually 'buy' a human being. The transfer fee is a fee paid to secure the right to benefit from a player's services. If those services will extend over the length of that player's contract, then it is logical accounting for that fee to be amortised over the duration of the contract. Because that's actually how the value of the asset works. You don't receive the value of buying a player all in one go and so nor is it good practice to account the expense all in one go.

Your girlfriend's klarnas are not an amortised fee, they are a loan she is paying back. So it's a different thing.

This is the point, for me. He's statistically the best ball-winning high work-rate DM out there, and at 23 basically at the best possible age to buy a player - no longer young or unproven but still with 7 to 10 years of top level football in him. Compared to other midfield sales this summer, it's good value.

PSG are not selling because there's anything wrong with him, and both his game-time and stats from last season back that up. They're selling because they want a different type of midfielder instead. Some on here might also want that different, DLP type player. But clearly Ineos do not, because they're going for Ugarte. And there's no risk of them not understanding the kind of player he is, it's clear as crystal. My nan could tell you the type of player he is.

How do you know that when he hasn't even played for us? He might be the perfect partner for Mainoo and be excellent for us.
He is just not good in the first phase of play and Mainoo is too young to put that expectation on him.
Having two uncultured midfielders as part of a 3 is not ideal. Bruno and Ugarte will still leave our midfield not good in possession/ press resistant.

Anyway, my opinion and just like many I was right about Mount.

Yeah I agree. Problem is people see it like Casemiro is playing > Casemiro is a CDM > Casemiro is to blame for lack of protection of defence. It's not that simple. Look at how high he plays at times, this doesn't lend itself to him shielding the defence and is not making the best use of him. We signed him for what he did at Real and then threw it all in the bin and tried to reinvent him as a player. When we were signing Amrabat and Ten Hag said he can play behind Casemiro, alarm bells were ringing straight away. I just think Ten Hag is a bit of a plonker in all honesty and I wouldn't trust him to get the most out of what is an extremely talented squad.

Funnily enough SSN were just running a comparison of Ugarte and Casemiro, comparing the number of times they lose possession, number of times they're dribbled past, number of tackles and interceptions etc. Ugarte was marginally better in all areas (though the PL will be a substantial step up from Ligue 1 - so a pretty unfair comparison). But they were talking about how Ugarte will be being signed to 'plug the gap' in Casemiro's place. Well yeah, that is partly true. But like you said, Ten Hag can't just play them in like for like roles and expect Ugarte to be able to shield counter attacks when he's in the opponents box on turnovers. You'd have to be a blend of Usain Bolt and N'golo Kante to do that. Yet nobody talks about the tactics or the way Casemiro is used a lot of the time. It's frustrating really, as it's not really his fault entirely with how last season went.
Playing Casemiro as a dm again would be a mistake, he gets dribbled past very easily these days. He has been great the last two games, so what is your issue?

He has a chance to claim the spot by putting in solid performances every week. If we get him he’ll be fighting Casemiro for the starting number 6. Which will make them both better. I still think we need a progressive number 8. Someone with some more creativity and forward passes. Is mainoo that type of player? I’m not sure yet. Maybe Ugarte unlocks more of Mainoo as he’ll be allowed to influence the game further forward a bit more.
If Ugarte-Mainoo is to be our first choice midfield, then we might not be going for someone like Wharton for 80M+ next summer. We gave Bruno a new contract too, so he's going nowhere either, and no way we bench Mainoo.

He is just not good in the first phase of play and Mainoo is too young to put that expectation on him.
Having two uncultured midfielders as part of a 3 is not ideal. Bruno and Ugarte will still leave our midfield not good in possession/ press resistant.

What do you mean by not good in the first phase of play? From his games the fact he can take the ball under pressure in the first phase and find simple passes with it would make him an upgrade on Casemiro. I don't think what Ten Hag is looking for in this team is a Carrick type player (who struggled when being pressed). When Martinez is on the pitch we have someone who can break lines in the first phase of play (hopefully De Ligt adds to that upgrade, Yoro seems like he's capable of doing it as well). So the 6 position doesn't necessarily need someone who is creative, if anything its more important to have a player that is comfortable being pressed and can manipulate the ball in tight spaces which it seems like Ugarte ticks the boxes.

You are not right about Mount because he was injured for the entire season. So let's see how he does this season.

Casemiro isn't particularly good in the first phase of play either, and not press resistant, but he was still amazing for us in his first season.

What player - in your eyes - is both great in the first phase of play and great defensivelyand available on the market?

However if we decide we needed an upgrade in 3 years time, when we've only got £20m of amortisation left - it's not a bad situation to be in. You have the option to either sell him at that point or make him a bench option.

You think we won't be in for Adam Wharton? Because what you are describing will literally happen. Us looking to upgrade on 50m Ugarte in 12 months' time.

You think we won't be in for Adam Wharton? Because what you are describing will literally happen. Us looking to upgrade on 50m Ugarte in 12 months' time.
Why are folks so sure we'll be in for Wharton? I'm not saying we won't, but have we made any noises to that effect?

This is the point, for me. He's statistically the best ball-winning high work-rate DM out there, and at 23 basically at the best possible age to buy a player - no longer young or unproven but still with 7 to 10 years of top level football in him. Compared to other midfield sales this summer, it's good value.

PSG are not selling because there's anything wrong with him, and both his game-time and stats from last season back that up. They're selling because they want a different type of midfielder instead. Some on here might also want that different, DLP type player. But clearly Ineos do not, because they're going for Ugarte. And there's no risk of them not understanding the kind of player he is, it's clear as crystal. My nan could tell you the type of player he is.
Are there any DLPs available out there? If not we are restricted to Ugarte.

Regardless of not wanting to overpay, it will be more costly for the rest of the season if the club doesn't get this over the line before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.