Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
That F11 comps youtube video shows he can find those forward passes, just doesn’t use it as much as others. Also some good examples of carrying ball through midfield. Yes I know these compilations aren't a true picture of things but shows it's in the locker

Not really important but my inner muppet is wondering should he sign, what squad number do we think he would go for? to my knowledge available squad numbers (barring late departures) are, 13,19, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 etc...
13, he is bad luck for the opponent.

I'm confident we will be scouting for a deep passer throughout this season, we seem to be monitoring Ederson so he could well be under consideration.

What sort of profile is this Gourna-Douth as Vivell will most likely know him well from working in Bundesliga. So he can put the club fully in the picture about what he could bring to team.
I was actually thinking about Gourna Douth in my previous post, he is a very very good long passer for his age. I think he is probably not ready for the PL, but he does have that unique profile of being technical and also hard working and physical.

I would try to bring him in and loan him out to a top 5 league for a season and see if he can make the step up.

But he is not a DM though is he?
All the comparisons are to Kante from what I can see.
The disputed amount between the two clubs seems to be the stumbling block but from my point of view the party that should give way should be PSG purely because the player does not figure in their plans and they have already bought the player that they see as their future.
The funny thing is that if Collyer was still at Brighton I bet he would be in the reckoning for being in their starting team this year and yet still on here we are talking about sending him out on loan.
What do you mean Ugarte isn’t a DM? He is about a pure DM as they come. Collyer hasn’t featured yet. Not every academy graduate will be Kobbie Mainoo. They need time and Collyer will get game time this season if not he will go loan in Jan. Case hopefully will leave next summer and Collyer can slot into his spot.

As with every transfer ever, no one will know whether he’s worth the amount we pay for him or not until we see him in action in our team over an extended period of time. 12 months from now it could look like a bargain or a bust, or everything in between.

I am not opposed to what you are saying, my point is about the overall approach to the transfer market and not being mugs who overpay for players left right and center, Yoro might not make it and be an expensive teenager, but I was not against shelling the fee the club did as he has the potential to be a huge player for us, I also believed Sancho was worth the fee we paid for him, he flopped obviously but he was at the time worth overpaying for, Ugarte is not worth overpaying at this moment, he is not wanted by the manager who signed him last season and he is basically already replaced by J.Neves, of course if we overpay now and he becomes an excellent player for us in this season, I would still be happy about it, but as of now I think he is not worth the fee PSG is demanding (€60-70M) if the reports are to be believed, I think anything above €50m in total is an overpayment.

I don't think people want a DLP as such, but more so someone who excels in the passing department.

Mainoo is young and at the moment, he's relatively safe with his passing. Casemiro is hit and miss. Eriksen is easily our best passer from the deeper options, but lacks the intensity needed for the tactical set up ten Hag favours. Those three are pretty much the options ten Hag used last season, along with Amrabat, who is no longer here.
I don’t understand where this notion comes that Ugarte can’t pass. He is going to be surprise you this season if he joins us and he will be very helpful in starting our counter attacks with his long passes from deep. We don’t have to depend on Bruno everytime, who misplaces his fair share of passes btw. He ain’t no Scholes either.

I don’t understand where this notion comes that Ugarte can’t pass. He is going to be surprise you this season if he joins us and he will instrumental in creating our counter attacks with his long passes from deep.
Based on the YT clips and stats, he seems to be proficient passer, he is no Kroos obviously but he is decent on the ball, he can move with the ball and make the right decisions, but I don't blame people for worrying because we suffered with the McFred combo and not being able to control a game and keeping hold of the ball.

McTominay can be made to look like prime Xavi on YT. I wouldn’t read much into it.

McTominay can be made to look like prime Xavi on YT. I wouldn’t read much into it.

We have been deprived of serious quality in midfield for such a long time that people have forgotten what a proper midfielder looks like.

We play with 10 men when he is on the pitch. We will never move forward as a team with him. Not even as an impact sub. We need to have backup players who can contribute in the same way the first teamers do.

He would have been shipped off a lot earlier if he wasn’t an academy player.
Aren’t you a little ray of sunshine today?

People keep saying we have been devoid of good midfielders for so long but I vividly remember some claiming that the Matic, Pogba and Herrera axis was one of the best in the league. The season before last the Case-Eriksen midfield was hailed to be excellent. Unfortunately, our inability to build a good and sustainable XI and inconsistency from all our managers has left this impression that we have been getting by with horrendous midfield pairings. It's not a true reflection of the players we bought and the money we have spent on the position since Sir Alex left.

People keep saying we have been devoid of good midfielders for so long but I vividly remember some claiming that the Matic, Pogba and Herrera axis was one of the best in the league. The season before last the Case-Eriksen midfield was hailed to be excellent. Unfortunately, our inability to build a good and sustainable XI and inconsistency from all our managers has left this impression that we have been getting by with horrendous midfield pairings. It's not a true reflection of the players we bought and the money we have spent on the position since Sir Alex left.
That happened like in 2018 for 2 months under Ole before the new manager bounce ended? Is 6 years not long enough?

I agree with Casemiro being good for 1 season but Erikson got massively found out where everyone could see how open we were with him on the field.

So looks like we wasted the whole window posturing only to pay what PSG were asking for anyways. Sigh. I'm just glad that it looks like we're getting a solid midfielder in at least. Hopefully he turns out to be better than advertised.

Next summer, we go for FDJ and Ederson to round out the midfield and then we can finally have a world class midfield group.

60m ?!! That will be 220m spent this summer. And a total of 670m spent for Ten Hag since his arrival. €
That's a lot of money.

Net spend this summer is about 150M euros (after Ugarte) which is a plus compared to previous seasons. It is a lot of money cumulatively - hopefully it is a squad that doesn’t need another open heart surgery even if the manager changes.

So looks like we wasted the whole window posturing only to pay what PSG were asking for anyways. Sigh. I'm just glad that it looks like we're getting a solid midfielder in at least. Hopefully he turns out to be better than advertised.

Next summer, we go for FDJ and Ederson to round out the midfield and then we can finally have a world class midfield group.

Prime SAF lost out on young Michael Owen and had to eat humble pie when he first humiliated Leeds because they spent 18m for Rio only to spend the same amount of money he rated Wes for on Rio few years later. City spent 100m on Graelish while Real lost out on Yoro. No club is able to win every battle. We won many battles this summer (Yoro, our double deal with Bayern etc).

If we managed to get him then that's absolutely crazy because he's still far from his peak, is of good quality currently, good resale value even 3-4 years from now, plays a role that is quite rare in football, and PSG bought him not long ago (they don't need money and can just keep him if they want).

You could even say it's like destiny.

We should wait for the details before we declare this.

The price is far to high for such a limited player. Must be possible to find a number six with athleticism and stamina for a lower price. Maybe Licha has a brother?

If the €50 million is spread over 4-5 years then getting Ugarte on a loan with obligation is a fantastic bit of business especially FFP/PSR wise.

I don’t mind us taking more time on deals when it really benefits us financially and the old regime would have spent months ‘negotiating’ with PSG to just pay the original €70 million that PSG wanted.

You’d like to think with Ugarte being an initial loan we’d have another money for a left back now even if it’s another loan or on a free. Hermoso is on a free, Regulion is available and I think I read that Truffert would be available for £12 million as only has a year left on his contract.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining so much about the price before he has kicked a ball for us.

People also thought we overpaid for Licha but no one cares about his transfer fee anymore.

I don't think we have grossly overpaid like we did with Antony for example.

If Ugarte joins and plays well no one will care if he cost 40 million or 50 million. If he flops then everyone will question the scouting regardless of the price.

A slight overpayment is fine but the main thing will be if he can deliver on the pitch.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining so much about the price before he has kicked a ball for us.

People also thought we overpaid for Licha but no one cares about his transfer fee anymore.

I don't think we have grossly overpaid like we did with Antony for example.

If Ugarte joins and plays well no one will care if he cost 40 million or 50 million. If he flops then everyone will question the scouting regardless of the price.

A slight overpayment is fine but the main thing will be if he can deliver on the pitch.
A slight underpayment is a lot sweeter though.

Really is fascinating seeing people chomping at the bit to proclaim players flops before they're even through the door...

The mentality of the modern fan needs studying :lol: It's like being proven right, even to the detriment of your team, has come to provide more of an endorphin release for some than seeing your club succeed.

Plainly telling people that they can't wait for failure simply to say I told you so, very strange way of 'supporting' a team...
Best post ever written on here.. I hope this will be post of the year.. You nail it here, its what its all about being proven right.. I bet that many here already hope he will flop, just like some hoped United would lose the Fa cup final, so they could be proven right about ETH..
I dont know if Ugarte is the right player, or if the price is too high, but for the first time since SAF we have some football people in charge of transfers and recruitment, therefore i trust them with this one.. Why have we cried for this in years, and when they finally arrive, we dont trust them, and trust some nobody on an internet forum more...

So we wait till January then comeback for a cheaper deal?
Again my issue is on the reputation needs to to change that's all, I want INEOS to build back our reputation, if the current situation means we overpay then we overpay, my hope is we don't overpay and move on to another option (if such option exists), we moved on from Jarrad, and at least Everton see Jarrad as an essential player, we managed to get De Ligt and Mazraoui on lower fees, PSG deem Ugarte as surplus to requirements yet they want to demand a high fee for him.

I am not opposed to what you are saying, my point is about the overall approach to the transfer market and not being mugs who overpay for players left right and center, Yoro might not make it and be an expensive teenager, but I was not against shelling the fee the club did as he has the potential to be a huge player for us, I also believed Sancho was worth the fee we paid for him, he flopped obviously but he was at the time worth overpaying for, Ugarte is not worth overpaying at this moment, he is not wanted by the manager who signed him last season and he is basically already replaced by J.Neves, of course if we overpay now and he becomes an excellent player for us in this season, I would still be happy about it, but as of now I think he is not worth the fee PSG is demanding (€60-70M) if the reports are to be believed, I think anything above €50m in total is an overpayment.

It was worth overpaying for Sancho at the time!? It obviously was not, because he flopped.

That’s my point: everyone’s entitled to an opinion about whether a player is good value or not, but the only way to know is to see how they do. The true assessment can only ever be made retrospectively.

And that is equally true when it comes to assessing the overall approach of the club to the transfer market right now under the new management and structure.

I praised the new management in getting De Ligt and Mazraoui on good fees and not overpaying for them, Ugarte is not worth 60m even if it includes difficult add-ons, we need our club to operate better in the transfer market and not be forced to overpay, other clubs will not get anywhere near PSG valuation, and our club should not, the deal didn't happen but I'll put this as a negative on the new management if it ends at 60m euros.

I'm replying to you in the Ugarte thread so as not to clutter up the transfer one.

You're not really making and logical sense here. If it includes difficult add-ons and we end up paying the full €60m then clearly it would be worth it as he'd have hit those milestones.

We have been operating better in the transfer market and our deals so far have been smart and we're plugging most of the gaps and upgrading the team where it needs it.

Why is this such a bad deal for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.