Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did they buy him for? Still feels kinda pricy for that position. But we're desperate, so happyish.

60m euros....isnt that what PSG have wanted since the beginning? If thats the case then it appears we have given them what they wanted.

It could be that they wanted 60m flat but we’ve offered it as a package with add ons and the like. Not that it matters, the media will claim we’re paying about 80 million anyway.

We wanted to pay £43m but it might end up £50m. Not bad given he is 23 and does have resale value.

Le Parisien said:
Manchester United and Paris close to an agreement for the transfer of Manuel Ugarte. The two clubs are leaning towards an agreement on a direct transfer of around 60 million euros. Details remain to be finalized, but the parties are confident that the operation will come to fruition by the end of the transfer window. Ugarte arrived in 2023 from Sporting.

The departure of Manuel Ugarte is becoming clearer. The Uruguayan defensive midfielder, who arrived from Sporting last season for 60 million euros, is heading towards leaving the club.

According to our information, PSG is close to an agreement with Manchester United for a direct transfer of around 60 million euros. An almost similar amount compared to the player's arrival last year. Although details remain to be resolved to finalize the operation, the parties are confident in the progress of the case in the coming days.

Manuel Ugarte had taken perfect first steps in the capital before quickly becoming disillusioned. From October until the end of the season, his playing time continued to decrease until he became starving. Manuel Ugarte can count on the influence of Jorge Mendes, his agent, who completed the transfer of Leny Yoro to the northwest of England for 70 million euros including bonus. Exchanges between Paris and Manchester have existed for several weeks. From July, the Red Devils made Ugarte one of their priorities.
https://www.leparisien.fr/sports/fo...rte-21-08-2024-HY3T772ZLRGZ5KXB3K4RLD3FTI.php

I read they bought him for 60m euro when he had a release clause and felt they got a bargain. That's why they feel entitled to get at least what they paid for him.

Really hope INEOS haven't fecked this one up. He's a pressing maniac but if I see him getting shrugged off in duels game 1 we'll have fecked up
If only we were a professional football club with data analytics, scouts and the rest of the required infrastructure.

Posts like the quoted make me laugh. Like the club hasn't done it's due diligence on the player in depth.

From October until the end of the season, his playing time continued to decrease until he became starving.
So not only have they deprived him of playing time, they deprived him of food as well! Fairly harsh.

Hope we don't end up paying that much. That is what they've been asking all along and if we wanted to pay that much we could have had him before the season started. Just feel that its overpaying considering his season at PSG and the fact that he is longer in their manager's plans and are looking to move him on after just one year.

If only we were a professional football club with data analytics, scouts and the rest of the required infrastructure.

Posts like the quoted make me laugh. Like the club hasn't done it's due diligence on the player in depth.
Your ignorance makes me laugh, considering much of the data says Ugarte isn't great in duels which was my entire point.

£51m ffs...even 42 is already overpaying. Is the source reliable?

It means two things, Pellistri is gone and McT is close to leaving.

Those two can cover half his fee and he's an upgrade so its great business.

INEOS gimmick this summer has been spacing payments out, so maybe we're paying what they wanted but they've compromised on how the payments are spread.

4 years for 14m a season probably approximately and lower wages so we end up saving money over his contract.

Hope we don't end up paying that much. That is what they've been asking all along and if we wanted to pay that much we could have had him before the season started. Just feel that its overpaying considering his season at PSG and the fact that he is longer in their manager's plans and are looking to move him on after just one year.
Would have preferred a better deal but can’t fault us for not trying. Even if we end up paying €60m, it’s not a crazy price at the end of the day. Getting him is the main priority with season already started and transfer window closing in 10 days so I’m not complaining at all.

Luis Enrique is a bit of a weird one, he obviously wasnt the player for the system he played, if youve watched enriques teams over the years hes the polar opposite to his style of play. It was a weird one to begin with and very likely a PSG signing over a manager signing. I mean he joined like 1 day after Enrique did.

Just because a manager doesnt think you fit the style of play doesn't automatically make you a shit player - he was incredible at Sporting, literally 1 year ago. He's also very good for Uruguay

29e594c1bc7f776c995ba1f144ba477b.png

Takes two seconds to not make yourself look like an idiot.

Above shows a comparison of Ugarte to the other "top" DM's in the league (Included Casemiro's "good" season), along with another player who could have been a potential DM target for us. Ugarte (as I said before) presses like a maniac but loses out on duels more than any of the rest of them, and isn't really going to contribute much outside of his defensive work. He's also not giving you any sort of aerial presence either, which on it's own isn't a huge deal but when mixed with him being hit or miss in 50/50's tends to raise more red flags.

It means two things, Pellistri is gone and McT is close to leaving.

Those two can cover half his fee and he's an upgrade so its great business.

He's a limited player, especially in possession. PSG bought him for the same amount, 51m, one year ago and he's an unwanted player for them, and wasn't a starter. It's also doubtful that he has a long-term key role at United if he joins. 51m is also arguably paying over peak value for him. Not sure how you can try to justify this as "great business".

I really have no clue about this guy, so Im just very eager to see and really hopes he strengthns our midfield significantly!!

29e594c1bc7f776c995ba1f144ba477b.png

Takes two seconds to not make yourself look like an idiot.

Above shows a comparison of Ugarte to the other "top" DM's in the league (Included Casemiro's "good" season), along with another player who could have been a potential DM target for us. Ugarte (as I said before) presses like a maniac but loses out on duels more than any of the rest of them, and isn't really going to contribute much outside of his defensive work. He's also not giving you any sort of aerial presence either, which on it's own isn't a huge deal but when mixed with him being hit or miss in 50/50's tends to raise more red flags.

So this graph mainly shows what he doesn't excell in.. What DOES he excel in? What did he excel in at Sporting?

So not only have they deprived him of playing time, they deprived him of food as well! Fairly harsh.
Or base layers. In certain parts of Ireland starving can mean "very cold", as in "jeez it's starvin cold outside like".

So this graph mainly shows what he doesn't excell in.. What DOES he excel in? What did he excel in at Sporting?
He's an absolute demon in pressing (that's basically why his defensive actions are through the roof) and will make a ton of tackles in general every game. So my initial point was that IF he's winning a lot of those tackles and 50/50's then he'll be very solid for us. But if he finds that he's getting shrugged off often in the prem then you're getting a potential liability because he'll have vacated a ton of space behind him with the aggression he plays at. I think he's a more defensive version of Fred, but I'm not sure if that's exactly the type of midfielder you want as your main DM. It's really going to depend on the overall structure of the team.

Still better than paying £25m for Sande Berge. Ugarte is younger, quicker, better tackler and has more fight in him.

Not really. Ugarte isn't worth much more than Berge, certainly not double.

60m euros....isnt that what PSG have wanted since the beginning? If thats the case then it appears we have given them what they wanted.
Yeah exactly, why the feck did we negotiate for 2months then? If we were gonna end up caving in and paying up anyway. This reeks of Murtough era bullshit, really hope its like 50M+10M addons or something(ballon d'or clause) :lol:

This is very much an all in on Ten Hag and his transition game signing. Which is a major statement of trust by the club given how few signs we have been given that his approach is likely to work long term.

A couple of bad months and this squad may have to be ripped to pieces under a new manager. Again.

Let us hope a corner has been turned.

Yeah exactly, why the feck did we negotiate for 2months then? If we were gonna end up caving in and paying up anyway. This reeks of Murtough era bullshit, really hope its like 50M+10M addons or something(ballon d'or clause) :lol:
Negotiation involves a lot more than just overall fee.

387470dc6917bc650abdbe717955cb0b.png

For fun I included Wharton on this one to show why those of us who've watched him a good bit rate him so highly and want him here (I know there's been recent sentiment that's he's way too overhyped). A mobile, very good passer who also thrives in his defensive work is the ideal partner for Mainoo in a midfield.

Not really. Ugarte isn't worth much more than Berge, certainly not double.
He is younger, faster, better tackler, better stamina and better dribbler. More shithousery and more fight in him than Berge. He has more European experience as well.

@Valencia Shin Crosses What website does these types of graph/data?
https://datamb.football/

Really nice for getting a visualization of players compared to their peers at each position. Only thing is they only have data from the past two seasons, so you won't be able to compare or look at anything further back than that. It's nice for confirming what your eyes might see during a game, or for making you take a second look at someone you've written off earlier as rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.