Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
All weaknesses can be improved on.. His positioning needs tweaking, meaning he needs to press and hunt for the ball with intelligence. Passing through the lines requires more bravery and movement of teammates, again... Ten Hag needs to get the team syncing. I believe Ugarte reads the game well, technically strong, as he can run with the ball and evade opponents. He is not a classic sitting midfielder or a playmaker, but I think midfielders should be good at more of those things than not. He will need to step up another level here if he arrives, but the fundamentals are there, and a good coach can improve his game.

Secondly, people need to stop thinking of one single player as a savior of the team. The question we ought to ask is, what are his strengths? What does he bring to elevate the side? United should always be out there adding more players with quality into that central midfield.
ETH and Utd not a great recent record of improving players, to the contrary we tend to tank them, Dalot is an exception and we almost did for him until ETH

Is is better for PSG if the deal goes through next year? Let’s round up the fee PSG paid for him to €50m. If they sell him now for say €50m then with his book value being €40m the profit is only “€10m” but if they sell for the same price next year the profit is €20m given his book value is €30m. Is the haggling from PSG to show more “profit” this year?

It looks like he has that habit that Fred had, where he often runs full pelt at where the player is at that exact second and not accounting for the fact that the player is on the move in a certain direction.

It led to Fred getting beaten without the player on the ball even having to do anything and had a bit of a comical look. There's a few examples in that 1v1 clip of Ugarte doing the same.
Fred had his qualities... But one of his most infuriating traits was to win the ball well, then instantly turn it back over.
Ugarte doesn't have that trait.
If we compare him to Fred,. Then yes there is similarities, but Ugarte is a vastly superior version.

His strengths are obvious : ball winner, tons of energy, safe passer
Weaknesses are obvious too : Sideways passer, reckless, can leave gaps after pressing high

I'm not sure why someone would make a "Last 25 duels" compilation and skip his last two games (which he played very well in) against good/known quantity opposition in Colombia and Brazil.

Instead, you get USA/Bolivia/Panama, a Mexico friendly and a few random Ligue 1 games.

Which means it also goes back far too many games for the number of duels he enters into per game.

My conclusion is the compiler just handpicked 25 duels fitting his narrative. Lowlights are people being human, at least with highlight clips they show you what someone CAN do and others couldn't dream of.

I put his FM24 stats into FM12 (the last great FM game)

His stats are almost identical to Liverpool's Javier Mascherano

Are they actually similar players?
They have a lot of similar traits, same rioplatense school of defensive midfieldership and shithousing, but emerging under different football contexts.

Mascherano played at a time when the high press wasn't as much in vogue so you could find "differences" which have little to do with attributes/capability.

I see a lot of comments like "when he goes off on one chasing the ball and fails he will leave a gap. I'd sooner have a positionally sound midfielder sitting back and shielding"... Well, that's down to instructions and what the tactics call for.

Personally, I think Mascherano's passing was underrated. But then, it seems to be the exact same case with Ugarte so I'd rather not draw comparisons there because I have little hope of being interpreted properly.

Think he already rejected them to in the sense that he has said he doesn’t to move anywhere except to United.
That's until we dither for weeks on end while he has burnt his ships.

Question is whether Liverpool would swallow their pride more than the feasibility of him saying Yes to another approach.

I'm not sure why someone would make a "Last 25 duels" compilation and skip his last two games (which he played very well in) against good/known quantity opposition in Colombia and Brazil.

Instead, you get USA/Bolivia/Panama, a Mexico friendly and a few random Ligue 1 games.

Which means it also goes back far too many games for the number of duels he enters into per game.

My conclusion is the compiler just handpicked 25 duels fitting his narrative. Lowlights are people being human, at least with highlight clips they show you what someone CAN do and others couldn't dream of.
Or... it's not a conspiracy and it was posted a couple of days after the Brazil game, and before the Colombia game had even taken place?

Players who go in to a lot of duels also lose a lot of duels. It doesn't have to be bias or cherrypicking. Ugarte's statline looks like this:
Screenshot-2024-08-21-145802.png

Casemiro's defensive numbers for 22/23 where he was arguably our best player looked very similar. If you're that aggressive about going into challenges, you're going to lose plenty of them no matter how good you are.

Still hoping there is a chance of him being in the stands for the scousers at home, accepted that he wouldn't be on the bench anyway as we know Erik likes to phase in

look...i want the lad to join United simply because he's a willing defender in the middle of the pitch which is something we don't have currently. That said, I am a bit shocked we haven't brought in someone else as well b/c clearly scott, case and eriksen are either on the way out or on their last legs

Hopefully we'll get this done by the end of the window, and he'll be available after the international break.

I was looking at who Uruguay play during that break, hoping they didn't have many games and that they'd only be friendlies - in the hope Ugarte might opt to miss them and settle in at his new club instead.

However they have 3 games - the last two being World Cup qualifiers. So while he may not bother with the first friendly, I imagine he'll mostly be away playing those qualifiers and only arriving back from South America a few days before our first league game after the break.

Still, I hope we at least have that 'problem', as it'll mean the deal finally went through!

ETH and Utd not a great recent record of improving players, to the contrary we tend to tank them, Dalot is an exception and we almost did for him until ETH

I don't think that's true at all.

Maguire, Dalot, Mainoo, Amad, Garnacho all have been improved or developed under ETH.

I don't see any players that have been "tanked" Under our current management. Rashford has remained his same unstable self, Case dipped last year likely due to age. Shaw has remained stable. Antony hasn't made the step up. Who exactly has ETH caused to regress?

I too have just been pushing like crazy on the toilet. It must be a sign. Today’s the day!

How much crazy push does a crazy pusher push when pushing like crazy?

CR7 is pushing his club to sign better players so they might sign him, the Saudi window close's a couple of weeks after ours doesnt it?

Casemiro is a starter for us currently. He's started off the season well, too. Absolutely no way he's leaving now, especially with ETH keen on keeping him. He's apparently motivated to stay and prove himself too, and doesn't want to leave Europe just yet.

His contract runs out in 2026 I think, so from a financial standpoint it doesn't even matter too much if he leaves now or in 12 months' time, either. Especially regarding Saudi interest. If they're willing to pay, let's say 30m for him now, that'll probably still be the case in 2025.

I think playing poker with oil club may not work. They have bottomless pit and has no qualms to let Ugarte rot in reserve.

PSG want 52 and we value him at 42. Maybe go with 47 to close the deal.

Either that or it's time to move on to our next target.

I think playing poker with oil club may not work. They have bottomless pit and has no qualms to let Ugarte rot in reserve.

PSG want 52 and we value him at 42. Maybe go with 47 to close the deal.

Either that or it's time to move on to our next target.
They have FFP to navigate

60m euros....isnt that what PSG have wanted since the beginning? If thats the case then it appears we have given them what they wanted.

60m euros....isnt that what PSG have wanted since the beginning? If thats the case then it appears we have given them what they wanted.
Depends how it's structured. Maybe we agreed to pay it in a better structure for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.