Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are waiting for 1 sale to go through. Cmon somebody take Sancho off our hands.

Fricking BvB giving it big last year and now running away with tail between their legs as soon as buying Sancho topic comes up

I think we are waiting for 1 sale to go through. Cmon somebody take Sancho off our hands.

Fricking BvB giving it big last year and now running away with tail between their legs as soon as buying Sancho topic comes up
Indeed. Something of a banter club, as they say.

I see a lot of people saying he's a limited footballer yet when you see some of the games he's played for Sporting and PSG he seems the opposite. He looks like he is very comfortable under pressure in tight spaces, very good short passing, very good dribbler for a midfielder, can play the ball in between the lines as well. He's clearly not a Kroos type passer or a creative player but compared to a Mctominay/Amrabat he is a much better footballer. Time will tell but he also seems better on the ball than Casemiro. It would be good to add a Carrick type player to the squad, hopefully that might be Wharton next season, but Ugarte is no bum on the ball.

Having two midfielders in Kobbie and Ugarte who are comfortable receiving the ball between the lines under pressure would be extremely helpful to the way we play. Whilst a Carrick type player, who was one of my favourite players btw, would help to give this team more tactical options, Carrick himself had issues mainly struggling when getting pressed in tight areas. I see it as we need an Ugarte player and a Carrick player, but where the team stands right now I think an Ugarte style player is of more importance.

I’m genuinely struggling to understand the people who are desperate to make out he’s just some brainless clogger.
Same.

The guy literally fits the bill for what we need. Someone who can give Mainoo the freedom to push forward, a great ball winner and has the pass range for transitions.

I can't claim to have seen much of him but from the clips he looks rather underwhelming. Always chasing the ball rather than being positionally sound & making interceptions; the kind of player I have seen and like at United.

As for comparisons to Fred, we might see the same limitations that we saw with Fred in regards to his vision and passing. Fred was good at harrying the opposition off the ball but left much to be desired when he was on the ball. In fact, Fred looked more accomplished on the ball when you look at his clips from Shakhtar or if you saw one or two of his CL performances.

However, like I said, I haven't seen much of him so can't be definite in dismissing or hyping him. I am sure you have seen him more than I have. I hope he turns out every bit as good as people seem to think as he looks to be out #1 target and there is no one even half good that we are linked with.
What really won me over was his performance against Arsenal in the Europa - would recommend just having a watch of that to what he could bring. I think the fact he is very aggressive and proactive in his defending gives everyone a distroted view that he's just a headless chicken positionally, which I don't think is true. Of course if you're proactive you can leave space if you don't win the ball, but you can see from the stats he does win the ball a lot. So that risk is somewhat mitigated.

Well I think Freds limitation was he needed someone behind him as he couldn't cover the space in front of the back 4 and Fred was really an 8, so I agree he lacked what was needed going forward (consistently anyway, he did have good games).

I think you're going to have to accept he'll get cards, he might get caught out of position the odd time, but the positives he brings will out way that. If you look at it like playing out from the back, when it goes wrong, it will go horribly wrong., but the benefits it brings to a teams overall play is why you try to do it.

I feel like a Roman Patrician getting fortune everyday.
"What I see today in the entrails is... loan with obligation. Talks are ongoing."

'PSG want 52 but United say 42'

42 is the answer to everything...

Let's be honest, if this was woodwardjudgearnold leading the charge, we'd have signed Ugarte already.

For about sixty million and four-hundred grand a week.

I see a lot of people saying he's a limited footballer yet when you see some of the games he's played for Sporting and PSG he seems the opposite. He looks like he is very comfortable under pressure in tight spaces, very good short passing, very good dribbler for a midfielder, can play the ball in between the lines as well. He's clearly not a Kroos type passer or a creative player but compared to a Mctominay/Amrabat he is a much better footballer. Time will tell but he also seems better on the ball than Casemiro. It would be good to add a Carrick type player to the squad, hopefully that might be Wharton next season, but Ugarte is no bum on the ball.

Having two midfielders in Kobbie and Ugarte who are comfortable receiving the ball between the lines under pressure would be extremely helpful to the way we play. Whilst a Carrick type player, who was one of my favourite players btw, would help to give this team more tactical options, Carrick himself had issues mainly struggling when getting pressed in tight areas. I see it as we need an Ugarte player and a Carrick player, but where the team stands right now I think an Ugarte style player is of more importance.
A lot of people most probably have watched him a very limited amount of times.

Feels like it will get done, but hinging on sales of other players. We don’t want to buy him then have to sell players, as that’s when teams can railroad us and we’d be desperate to sell to meet financial obligations.

We’re doing the right thing, and in reality the squad feels and looks better than last year on paper, we’ve made some good strides to sorting to squad in just the first window, and there is still time to potentially ship a couple out and get more in.

Considering the speed with which everything can get done with deals that suddenly spring up on Transfer deadline day, it's amazing how long some of these transfers can be dragged out over a whole window with games of chess and who blinks first, etc. Only to generally end up with the fee being the highly expected compromise of closer to the buying clubs offer before add ons, but closer to the selling price if all add ons are reached.

You keep reading about 'ongoing talks' but it's dragged on for ages despite seeming a fairly simple one with all three parties reportedly eager for the deal to be done. You get the feeling had this just sprung up much later in the window, resolution would have been much quicker and probably with a similar conclusion to what these ongoing talks will eventually crawl towards.

PSG showed their hand a bit early with the Neves signing.
They clearly dont want him or really have the space for him, so they ultimately need to expect to take a loss on him

52 million seems steep for a player they are willing to sell after just one season, who wants to leave and after you got his replacement/upgrade for a similar price.

They should dream on.

His strengths are obvious : ball winner, tons of energy, safe passer
Weaknesses are obvious too : Sideways passer, reckless, can leave gaps after pressing high

I would say combine the loan and final fee to +/- £50m and let's all get a win. £10m loan with £40m purchase?

Feel like I've read same tweet for the past month.

Wheeler's tweet suggests us and PSG have different ideas about what is a fair loan with obligation to buy price. Like others have said it might reach a compromise figure in middle after couple of sales.

I put his FM24 stats into FM12 (the last great FM game)

His stats are almost identical to Liverpool's Javier Mascherano

Are they actually similar players?

It seems we’re determined not to pay the £51m even if we can put off paying it until next summer. I really hope we’ve got a back up target all ready to go if this gets near the deadline and PSG still aren’t budging. We can’t afford not to strengthen midfield this season.

It looks like he has that habit that Fred had, where he often runs full pelt at where the player is at that exact second and not accounting for the fact that the player is on the move in a certain direction.

It led to Fred getting beaten without the player on the ball even having to do anything and had a bit of a comical look. There's a few examples in that 1v1 clip of Ugarte doing the same.

Weaknesses are obvious too : Sideways passer, reckless, can leave gaps after pressing high

True, he's not a disciplined, positionaly sound DM like a Fabinho or Rodri, but I believe we just need someone with energy who will get stuck in for our midfield.

It will help balance out Mainoo's relative fitness issues, but may require him to float around a little less if Ugarte is chasing the ball around the park constantly.

I don't think Ugarte is the secret missing piece to make our midfield top tier, but he's a reasonably priced option that will be a useful squad member for as long as he's at the club, and should help massively this season.

Think he already rejected them to in the sense that he has said he doesn’t to move anywhere except to United.
I'm not hugely worried but he could change his mind if a club comes with an approved bid by PSG.

Last edited:
I like that they stand firm on the 42m, we are the ones that are desperate for a DM but at the same time I can't see PSG keeping him on their team.

It appears the 10m euro difference has remained the issue all summer, with neither side willing to budge.

PSG probably believe United will increase the bid the closer it gets to the window closing...While United believe PSG will lower the valuation the closer it gets to the window closing.

Interesting to see who panics first.

Can we just offer a loan with obligation to buy for 50m euros + 5m in addons? Lets get this sorted

I don't think Ugarte is the secret missing piece to make our midfield top tier, but he's a reasonably priced option that will be a useful squad member for as long as he's at the club, and should help massively this season.
Yeah, at 40M its a good deal. Less so at 50M. Cant we just do a 40+5M addons and get it done :lol:

What really won me over was his performance against Arsenal in the Europa - would recommend just having a watch of that to what he could bring. I think the fact he is very aggressive and proactive in his defending gives everyone a distroted view that he's just a headless chicken positionally, which I don't think is true. Of course if you're proactive you can leave space if you don't win the ball, but you can see from the stats he does win the ball a lot. So that risk is somewhat mitigated.

Well I think Freds limitation was he needed someone behind him as he couldn't cover the space in front of the back 4 and Fred was really an 8, so I agree he lacked what was needed going forward (consistently anyway, he did have good games).

I think you're going to have to accept he'll get cards, he might get caught out of position the odd time, but the positives he brings will out way that. If you look at it like playing out from the back, when it goes wrong, it will go horribly wrong., but the benefits it brings to a teams overall play is why you try to do it.

I didn't say he was headless chicken but he does have a tendency to go chasing the ball. Kind of like what AWB did at RB for us. Good DM/DLP's usually don't do that amount of running and have more positional discipline.

Let's hope you are right about the positive he'll bring to the team. Maybe he'll work better in ETH's no midfield system than a player like Carrick who was more refined on the ball and depended on his positioning. From clips it looks like he is good at dribbling out of trouble with the ball and can carry it forward well. So, that is a plus in an ETH system where building and passing from the midfield isn't given a priority.

It appears the 10m euro difference has remained the issue all summer, with neither side willing to budge.

PSG probably believe United will increase the bid the closer it gets to the window closing...While United believe PSG will lower the valuation the closer it gets to the window closing.

Interesting to see who panics first.

May as well buckle up until deadline day because neither side looks to be backing down on this one

Last edited:
Imagining a set up of Ugarte, Casemiro, Mount, and Fernandes through the middle in some of the bigger games. Ten Hag's wet dream of aggressive pressing and off the ball work.

I didn't say he was headless chicken but he does have a tendency to go chasing the ball. Kind of like what AWB did at RB for us. Good DM/DLP's usually don't do that amount of running and have more positional discipline.

Let's hope you are right about the positive he'll bring to the team. Maybe he'll work better in ETH's no midfield system than a player like Carrick who was more refined on the ball and depended on his positioning. From clips it looks like he is good at dribbling out of trouble with the ball and can carry it forward well. So, that is a plus in an ETH system where building and passing from the midfield isn't given a priority.
Sorry, I wasn't aiming that at you, you weren't implying that so probably did look out of place. Good DM/DLPs have the runners in the 8 role though, can see that with the Jorginho/Rice combo.

I definitely think he'll be a big net positive. It may even allow us to target a more expansive 8 after Casemiro or play Mainoo and Mount/Bruno. It could also see us to get good use out of Eriksen this season too - that's if he stays.

I’m really not worried about the sideways passing or the gaps.

We’re going to have a lot of expansive passers around him in Bruno, Mainoo, Mazraoui, Yoro, Martinez amongst others, it doesn’t need to be part of his game and it’s something he can work on.

The gaps is something we can cover, he can be a net benefit in all else he brings, if we are going to play a high line, the game is going to be compact and there is naturally less gaps to exploit anyway. That should be our plan, compact game played in the opponents third with him tearing around disrupting.

I’m really not worried about the sideways passing or the gaps.

We’re going to have a lot of expansive passers around him in Bruno, Mainoo, Mazraoui, Yoro, Martinez amongst others, it doesn’t need to be part of his game and it’s something he can work on.

The gaps is something we can cover, he can be a net benefit in all else he brings, if we are going to play a high line, the game is going to be compact and there is naturally less gaps to exploit anyway. That should be our plan, compact game played in the opponents third with him tearing around disrupting.
Yeah hopefully that's the plan, and it works. Casemiro has been pressing high this season, so it would make sense how Ugarte would be a like for like replacement.

All weaknesses can be improved on.. His positioning needs tweaking, meaning he needs to press and hunt for the ball with intelligence. Passing through the lines requires more bravery and movement of teammates, again... Ten Hag needs to get the team syncing. I believe Ugarte reads the game well, technically strong, as he can run with the ball and evade opponents. He is not a classic sitting midfielder or a playmaker, but I think midfielders should be good at more of those things than not. He will need to step up another level here if he arrives, but the fundamentals are there, and a good coach can improve his game.

Secondly, people need to stop thinking of one single player as a savior of the team. The question we ought to ask is, what are his strengths? What does he bring to elevate the side? United should always be out there adding more players with quality into that central midfield.

Sorry, I wasn't aiming that at you, you weren't implying that so probably did look out of place. Good DM/DLPs have the runners in the 8 role though, can see that with the Jorginho/Rice combo.

I definitely think he'll be a big net positive. It may even allow us to target a more expansive 8 after Casemiro or play Mainoo and Mount/Bruno. It could also see us to get good use out of Eriksen this season too - that's if he stays.

Take it you mean target expansive 8 for next summer?

Anyone else get the impression we’re gonna revisit this position next season, hence only wanting to drop £41m?

Status
Not open for further replies.