Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. That's literally giving them what they want. If we wanted to pay that much that he would have been here weeks ago. What's the point in dragging the deal for weeks and then end up paying what they are asking anyways? I hope we don't do that.
Their valuation/asking price with us has always been €70m(£59m) no?

Weird take. We clearly just want favourable terms. It sets a tone.
We took our time with every other deal we've made so far this window and have come out with agreements that were judged to be fair by the club so this hasn't been any different tbh.

Maybe just the structure if it ends up being a loan at first.

€60m. They basically wanted what they paid for him an year ago.
And I assume United is offering his book value per the amortisation guidelines of UEFA so probably 48m€ before add-ons.

Maybe it's also a case of agreeing on payment structure on top of the gap in valuation.

And I assume United is offering his book value per the amortisation guidelines of UEFA so probably 48m€ before add-ons.

Maybe it's also a case of agreeing on payment structure on top of the gap in valuation.
Honestly anything between 40-45m they should accept it as there are no other clubs in for him this summer and his value is only going to go down if he stays as he's already been replaced and not in their manager's plans.

They are playing hardball and trying to take us for mugs who end up paying what they want.

I'd rather get Ugarte as part of this season's budget, rather than eating into next season's, when we need a midfield overhaul anyway.
Deferring the expense of signing Ugarte until next year can only really benefit us financially.. (unless we had to pay a big loan fee for just this season).

If we buy this summer, logically that reduces next summer's budget anyway, though the number of midfield signings needed next summer will be less if we buy this summer. So worrying about when whether we buy him now or next summer doesn't really make sense.

Deferring the expense of signing Ugarte until next year can only really benefit us financially.. (unless we had to pay a big loan fee for just this season).

If we buy this summer, logically that reduces next summer's budget anyway, though the number of midfield signings needed next summer will be less if we buy this summer. So worrying about when whether we buy him now or next summer doesn't really make sense.
Not really. If we get Ugarte in, McT out this season, we will still need 2 more CMs next season(to replace Casemiro and Eriksen).

Deferring the payment to next season means taking a chunk out of the budget for next season's midfield. Only reason I can see for us deferring payment is because we are unable to move McT on this summer.

Regardless the point being, I'd rather get Ugarte as part of this season's budget, rather than eating into next season's, when we need a midfield overhaul anyway.
So you are worrying about spending the money this season on a midfielder because you are saving the budget for next season for a midfield overhaul but not counting that if we are spending the money this season on this player we are overhauling a big part of that midfield already because you know the said player is a midfielder himself?

Not really. If we get Ugarte in, McT out this season, we will still need 2 more CMs next season(to replace Casemiro and Eriksen).

Deferring the payment to next season means taking a chunk out of the budget for next season's midfield. Only reason I can see for us deferring payment is because we are unable to move McT on this summer.

We're probably due to replace a couple of defenders and midfielders next summer, possibly add talent up top (swap Sancho or Antony in cruder terms), so we're looking at probably as many profile signings and similar expenses. I doubt we can move as many players out for a fee but we'll know when we'll get there.

We're probably due to replace a couple of defenders and midfielders next summer, possibly add talent up top (swap Sancho or Antony in cruder terms), so we're looking at probably as many profile signings and similar expenses. I doubt we can move as many players out for a fee but we'll know when we'll get there.
Exactly, and that's why I hope we buy Ugarte this season, rather than pushing the can down to next season, when we have a lot of work anyway

Exactly, and that's why I hope we buy Ugarte this season, rather than pushing the can down to next season, when we have a lot of work anyway
Agree. PSG need to keep Mendes onside as he will be useful to them in the future. I think this deal will get done on a permanent this window. They just need to stop playing silly buggers. Probably dragging it along as they are miffed that Qatar didn’t buy us

Yes but if we don't sign anyone, then we'd need to sign 3 midfielders next summer instead of 2?

Again, why would deferring the payment till next summer reduce our budget? If you don't spend money now, you'll have more to spend in future windows, that's just obvious.

Reckon his signing will unlock Mainoo. Will allow Mainoo to focus on his attacking game as Ugarte can cover more ground than Casemiro.

Reckon his signing will unlock Mainoo. Will allow Mainoo to focus on his attacking game as Ugarte can cover more ground than Casemiro.
I agree but I can also see Casemiro playing with Ugarte at times. I think Casemiro would also be better at this stage of his career next to somebody with legs who can cover him.

I agree but I can also see Casemiro playing with Ugarte at times. I think Casemiro would also be better at this stage of his career next to somebody with legs who can cover him.
It would be nice just to have choices and not run everyone into the ground which definitely happened last season.

That could definitely work against the tougher teams. Casemiro can also play a few roles. He’s quite creative as we’ve seen in his last few matches with the chances he creates.

That could definitely work against the tougher teams. Casemiro can also play a few roles. He’s quite creative as we’ve seen in his last few matches with the chances he creates.

Yeah my thoughts too

Need a here we go desperately

Be surprised if we get that this week, at best we can maybe have him on the bench for scousers. Mind you like someone said he may not come into team straight away, remember what happened with Casemiro.

Be surprised if we get that this week, at best we can maybe have him on the bench for scousers. Mind you like someone said he may not come into team straight away, remember what happened with Casemiro.
Ten hag seems to like to ease all his signings in. Think Mazraoui only started his first game because we are so depleted in the full back slots

I would like us to try this:

Casemiro Ugarte
Amad Bruno Mainoo

Garnacho and Rashford are nice but technically it's complicated while Mainoo seems to easily make differences on the left side thanks to his technique. Curious to see what that would be like. Especially against grouped defenses.

I would like us to try this:

Casemiro Ugarte
Amad Bruno Mainoo

Garnacho and Rashford are nice but technically it's complicated while Mainoo seems to easily make differences on the left side thanks to his technique. Curious to see what that would be like. Especially against grouped defenses.
This would be akin to Eriksen using Scholes on the left wing. Just why? You need pace on the wings to help with counter attacks. We have plenty of games in a season to rotate.

I could see it if Shaw and Lisandro are healthy and we can build up from defence a bit better.

This would be akin to Eriksen using Scholes on the left wing. Just why? You need pace on the wings to help with counter attacks. We have plenty of games in a season to rotate.

You don't need speed on the wings, you need to create danger. Bernardo Silva isn't exactly fast, just like Beckham used to be. Mainoo is technical and he has a certain explosiveness on the first meters. Personally I am not satisfied with Garnacho at the moment who I find too clumsy, and Rashford I prefer not to say what I think of him in order to remain courteous.

How do we think Ugarte and Casemiro would fare? Do we think ten Hag would play them together when resting Mainoo, or do we think he wants a combination of Mainoo/Mount and Ugarte/Casemiro?

How do we think Ugarte and Casemiro would fare? Do we think ten Hag would play them together when resting Mainoo, or do we think he wants a combination of Mainoo/Mount and Ugarte/Casemiro?
My guess is Mount players in the front 4 positions and we use 2 of Ugarte/casemiro/Mainoo always and rotate them to keep them all fresh.

You don't need speed on the wings, you need to create danger. Bernardo Silva isn't exactly fast, just like Beckham used to be. Mainoo is technical and he has a certain explosiveness on the first meters. Personally I am not satisfied with Garnacho at the moment who I find too clumsy, and Rashford I prefer not to say what I think of him in order to remain courteous.
Just cause they use Silva on the wing doesn’t mean we can use Mainoo cause we don’t play the way City do. Counterattacking is basically our system. Silva btw played on the right hand side for Monaco before he came to City. So he knows how to play on the wings. Has Mainoo played on the outside before?

Last edited:
I think it will pleasantly surprise people. Casemiro can be erratic with his passing at times but he's got an excellent forward/creative pass (almost had a perfect assist to Bruno on the opening day) and i think he'll have freedom to break forward a bit more. Ugarte will cover the ground and play a bit deeper I imagine and against top teams it will be a good defensive shield.

This is what I would like to see given a chance if they sign him. Gives ETH the flexibility to go with any number of attacking options up depending on the opposition, and Casemiro still has a lot to offer attacking.

ugarte
Casemiro mainoo
Bruno
(2) Hojlund/Zirkee/Rashf/Garn/Amad

We need both speed and creation on the wings. Currently, Amad has potentially both and Rashford/Garnacho have speed and goal threat.

A midfielder on the wings won‘t work for us, it would take speed out of our transitions. It is something we do when there are injuries.

Anyway, our midfielders are drifting out to wings a lot to form overloads with the wingers and fullbacks, so I don‘t see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.