Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your point, but I think Casemiro's passing is erratic, as is his all around play at the moment (to say nothing of my expectation that his better performances will probably become fewer and farther between these days). I expect Mount, fitness permitting, will likely fill in for Mainoo in games as well.

I know we can't fix all our problems in one window, I'm just concerned about how our midfield shapes up over the course of the season.

What's this all about Case's all around erratic play at the moment? These last two matches against City and Fulham he's been our best player and was named to the PL's team of the week. What are you even talking about? Give the guy a break.

How about him and Rabiot? 2 upgrades in midfield and 2 different type of players. I think Ugarte will improve us as he’s an upgrade on Mctominay and him and Casemiro with Mainoo/bruno/Mount is decent enough options. I think we’re at least another 2 years from a proper title challenge anyway… our front line lacks goals. Not clinical enough so until we get a deadly ST and not one with potential then we won’t challenge.

I'd like Rabiot as someone who plays as the left-sided #8 in a 4-3-3, or the #8 behind a #6 in a double-pivot, so that Mainoo doesn't have to play 60 games this season. Good rotation or even competition for Kobbie. It's important both with him and Garnacho that they don't get burned out in the early years of their career IMO.

Ugarte on the other hand would be coming in as the #6 in a double-pivot.

Last edited:
Very valid concerns.

Ideally we need to be bringing in two midfielders. Especially since we are likely losing Mctominay, have already lost Amrabat and are probably okay to let Eriksen leave as well as per reports.

Perhaps ETH has a lot of faith in Collyer to step up and take a lot of mins. Alongside playing Mount in a deeper role like you mentioned (but I have my reservations about that - don’t think he is suited for that. Maybe we can make it work).

I actually feel Bruno could be an effective 8 as well if we start playing Zirkzee in the 10 role. But will need Ugarte to cover a heck of a lot of ground to make that work.

I keep forgetting about Collyer, who may well prove to be useful this season, good point. If he's got potential to grow into the team I'd be wanting to see him get opportunities rather than having his growth stunted.

We need more technically proficient players in midfield, so I'm not too concerned about McTominay leaving. We also need legs, so the same with Eriksen. Mount has a role, but I think he should be spelling Bruno to be honest, especially in games where we need a coherent front press. All that aside, my main concern is making sure Mainoo has adequate cover.

Bruno, I'm not so sure about as I think his play is largely quick passing from a relatively static point, that he is mostly a player who receives the ball then looks to pass rather than move with it. He also tends to operate best in more space than he may get deeper. But I may be wrong there, well have to see if it happens.

I'm confident with the Will Fish and Facundo sales we have the money for a 10m loan fee with an obligation to buy clause inserted. For me the big hold up on this deal is the haggling over the total fee. Most likely the 2 clubs will meet in the middle at around 50m euros + 5m in add ons.

What also gives me confidence this deal gets over the line is that when INEOS have a target like Dan Ashworth that they really want they tend to negotiate hard but ultimately get their man. I'm confident it'll be the same story with Ugarte.

I think Casemiro will have his best season for us this year honestly, fans are really fickle and this time next year people will be raving again about him. Hes has already showed some moments of class in the last games.

I would love it if he did, I'm just sceptical that will happen. If he plays well I'll be happy for him and the team; if he doesn't, well I just won't be surprised.

I know things get blown out of proportion on message boards, but personally I'm not screaming he is awful or the worst player ever, I just expect his good performances to be infrequent based upon his age, the wear on his legs, his reckless play at times (which has been evident in all his time here) and his performances last year. I don't think that's particularly out there? I don't know. Maybe it is.

Who is that deadly ST we need then, the Rabiot boat will keep sailing unless his demands become somewhat reasonable. The lack of interest in the guy tells you clubs aren't biting at the current ones.
I’d take a punt on Toney. The guys available and experienced in the premier league. It obviously isn’t happening anytime soon now though as we’ve invested in 2 potential ST

I’d take a punt on Toney. The guys available and experienced in the premier league. It obviously isn’t happening anytime soon now though as we’ve invested in 2 potential ST

What would you pay for him out of interest?

We don't need to challenge this year.

We need the Europa Final or win it, and get top 4. We need Mainoo, Garnacho and Amad to develop more as players as they get more professional experience.

We also need the entire team to adapt to the system ETH is transitioning to and what RVN and Rene is coaching, lead by the likes of the technical director in Wilcox.

We need that system to become instinctive and automatic. Eg making the right runs, passes, going into the right shape and structure and having a visceral feeling of just knowing what to do.

That takes time to develop, it's just just buy a striker or we need a DM. We need coaching and the right players and profiles is part of that.

This year is about laying the ground work for future success. Having a solid back four, DM and the team being progressive, aggressive and winning the ball back plus retaining possession is the major goal this year.

If all goes well we can go big next year on major world class signings when more deadweight eg Lindelof on his last year, Eriksen if he isnt moved on is removed from the squad. Then we get more energy and technical ability in the squad.

We can't solve all of this in one window.

Ugarte is more than enough, bonus points for another player.

United need to get high up the pitch and suffocate the opposition with high pressing and energy which is why we chase Ugarte.

Then Onana can play to his strengths too, I think if we're higher up the pitch we score more and we concede less anyway.

Good post.

So Henderson was shit, but we should sign Ugarte, who then clearly must be much better than Henderson was.

In what areas though?

I just hope we can sign him this week. Signing him on deadline day means we lose him straight away for 2 weeks on international duty.

So Henderson was shit, but we should sign Ugarte, who then clearly must be much better than Henderson was.

In what areas though?
It’s a little more complicated that saying he was a shit player. I think he was more of a system player. He was meh at Sunderland, shit for his first couple of years at Pool, shit for England but under Klopps system he did very well. Even in his “peak” if you took him out of Liverpool he wouldn’t have done well.

It’s a little more complicated that saying he was a shit player. I think he was more of a system player. He was meh at Sunderland, shit for his first couple of years at Pool, shit for England but under Klopps system he did very well. Even in his “peak” if you took him out of Liverpool he wouldn’t have done well.

That is one way to read his career, you could also say that he was a kid at Sunderland, Had 10 great years at Liverpool and was a key part of one of England most successful international periods.

System player? Maybe, but he had an exceptional engine, quick, aggressive and agile and was much better on the ball than many give him credit for.

If Ugarte is as good as him he will be a hell of a player for Utd.

Calling Henderson elite feels a bit far, but as usual people seem to miss the obvious fact there is a middle ground between elite and rubbish.
Fair point. I’m willing to admit I might of exaggerated a little. But I don’t rate Henderson… and the point I was trying to make was you don’t need to be elite to help your team win trophies/titles. You just need to be good in a certain role and position in a good system.

In what areas though?
Henderson wasn‘t shit. Prime Henderson would be great for us right now: hard working, good on the ball, a real engine.

Ugarte is an elite ball winner and tidy on the ball: exactly what we need to win the ball back and keep it in the team.

He clearly wasn’t meh at Sunderland. SAF was looking at him for us, but neglected to push the deal through because he was in his horse loving phase and had what turned out to be unfounded concerns over Hendersons “gait” possibly being a cause of future injuries.

I like the kid. If we do get him, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that by Xmas, he will be one of the first names on team sheet.

He clearly wasn’t meh at Sunderland. SAF was looking at him for us, but neglected to push the deal through because he was in his horse loving phase and had what turned out to be unfounded concerns over Hendersons “gait” possibly being a cause of future injuries.
SAF looked at a lot of players. Didn’t mean we signed them nor has every transfer he made worked out.

Have a feeling this is a non runner despi. Hope I'm wrong.
I like the kid. If we do get him, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that by Xmas, he will be one of the first names on team sheet.
I think he will be Similar to Lisandro . That bit of Bite and Steel will make fans love him

SAF looked at a lot of players. Didn’t mean we signed them nor has every transfer he made worked out.

You say he was meh, SAF rated him, you do you I suppose, but I’m fairly sure whose appraisal of a player I’m more likely to trust. Especially given the career he went on to have.

You say he was meh, SAF rated him, you do you I suppose, but I’m fairly sure whose appraisal of a player I’m more likely to trust. Especially given the career he went on to have.
He also rated Stevan Defour and sent him a letter when he was injured and in the hospital. Did we sign Defour? Did he go on to have a good career?

SAF also signed Bellion, Bebe, Djemba Djemba and Liam Miller amongst others that weren't good enough.

My point is even the great SAF can make mistakes.

I just think this seems a bit of a silly thing to say given what he achieved. It’s not like you could say he was a passenger. He was a key cog in Liverpool’s little golden period.

Henderson was far from awful, but he’s an excellent reminder that good players can be elevated way beyond what most thought they were capable of when played within a team that works. He was at the right club, under the right manager, at the right time.

Burt has good connections at PSG. This is very much on

Loan with obligation to buy for 45m + 10m add-ons, who says no?

Nope. That's literally giving them what they want. If we wanted to pay that much that he would have been here weeks ago. What's the point in dragging the deal for weeks and then end up paying what they are asking anyways? I hope we don't do that.

I'd like Rabiot as someone who plays as the left-sided #8 in a 4-3-3, or the #8 behind a #6 in a double-ivot, so that Mainoo doesn't have to play 60 games this season. Good rotation or even competition for Kobbie. It's important both with him and Garnacho that they don't get burned out in the early years of their career IMO.

Ugarte on the other hand would be coming in as the #6 in a double-pivot.

So do I but there has been pretty much zero links to any club for what seems like weeks now

Status
Not open for further replies.