Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugarte and Neves would make a great double pivot

If we’re in for Ugarte then it means that we’re more than likely not pursuing Neves. The Club is not going to splash out the buyout clause of more than €100 million. Also why a double pivot when we could play a more a progressive 4-3-3 with Bruno and Mainoo.

If we only brought in Ugarte and signed Amrabat permanently whilst getting rid of Casemiro and VDB I’d be happy as we’d have Fernandes, Mainoo, Mount, McTominay and Eriksen also around.

Eriksen is more than likely gone. Signing Ugarte and Amrabat gives us enough cover and decently balanced midfield options.

Ugarte would be dynamite. Cracking player and would help us in the middle of the park staying high and not panicking.

I really don't know too much about the player, but based on the usual YouTube reels, he looks really good.
Very physical, energetic and tough, if perhaps a bit too reckless at times, but we have been missing a proper ball winner since forever.
But there seems to be a lot more about him than simply being a tough guy.
He progresses forward really well from the clips I've seen. An interesting one....

Here's a clip from that game. You will notice Bielsa has him dropping deep between the defenders to start the build up from the back.

There's also the fact that if he can do well playing DM for Bielsa he fits the challenge of being a DM under Hagball.

the kid tackles like scholes

Why would people want Amrabat permanently ?
Because he did eventually acclimatise to the Premier League intensity.

It took Fred a while to become a first team player. His first season with us he wasn't trusted to play more than 1048 minutes with the feeling that he wasn't PL ready yet.

Why would people want Amrabat permanently ?

Amrabat was unlucky this season. He was played in the wrong position, he then picked an injury and only lately he started deliver the goods. He's not a world beater but he's a DM, his salary is manageable and his fee is said to be around 20m. Now let's have a look at CM. Casemiro and Eriksen should leave while McT is not very good + he represent pure profit. We might get as low as 20m-30m for the former two and another 20m-30m for McT ie 40m-60m. If that happens then we need at least 2 CM, something those 60m won't be enough to financially cover for. Hence why some might argue that we keep Amrabat as cover.

Quite frankly I'd rather go for Ugarte and Fofana. The former is on sale while the latter has just 1 year left in his contract.

Confidently incorrect. I like your style.

The price tag set by Benfica is around €120m, which is around £100m, so how could we not afford that? We have Varane and Martial confirmed out, Greenwood, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro on their way out and there will be a few more, maybe Sancho as well. SJR is going to inject money into the club too, so why would we not be able to afford that? We're not Fleetwood Town, mate.

Because we also need a CB (or 2) a forward & a a LB.

Yeah, I remember you asking and I wasn't watching local football much at all.

He has been immense ever since he came into the NT. We used to play a three man midfield, Bielsa switched to 4-2-3-1 with just him alongside Valverde (who has a great engine but loves to drive up the pitch).

You couldn't tell it was just the two of them against EnzoF, MacAllister and de Paul when we beat Argentina in Buenos Aires 2-0. They were everywhere, really got under their skin and even had Lio moaning about these kids not rolling over out of respect for the world champs.

Uber competitive, along with Licha he would bully the opposition. Get it done.

I very much like the sound of this. We need more tough characters, players willing to do the dirty work and unsettle the opposition

Because he did eventually acclimatise to the Premier League intensity.

It took Fred a while to become a first team player. His first season with us he wasn't trusted to play more than 1048 minutes with the feeling that he wasn't PL ready yet.

Did he? He looked decent in a low block but nothing special, its another 25m euros to sign him, I would pass

I like the looks of him just based off highlight videos - he looks more well-rounded than Palhinha whom I understand the doubts on his ball-playing ability and technique as valid reasons for not going for him a few seasons ago.. What do our Sporting fans say?

He has quickly lost his starting spot at PSG. Might be able to do a job in the PL but not convinced at United
Because he doesn't suit Enrique's tiki taka. Not sure why they signed him really. He's still an excellent player, a more mobile Casemiro pretty much.

I shouldn't need to explain to bosskeano that that is how you challenge for balls in a derby.
oh hell no complaints from me at all...it's against argentina and feck me we've been too soft long enough at this club. we need someone with a bit of bite

Because he doesn't suit Enrique's tiki taka. Not sure why they signed him really. He's still an excellent player, a more mobile Casemiro pretty much.
Looks technically superior but I don't know if he's almost as good as Casemiro defensively. With Mainoo no slouch in the defensive department either, he looks good enough for Ten Hag ball and a no-brainer signing for ~EUR40M.

Can certainly play in double pivot, would work well with Mainoo who likes drop in during build up

only if the other pivot is also box to box and defensive secure otherwise it will leave holes in the midfield

Confidently incorrect. I like your style.

The price tag set by Benfica is around €120m, which is around £100m, so how could we not afford that? We have Varane and Martial confirmed out, Greenwood, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro on their way out and there will be a few more, maybe Sancho as well. SJR is going to inject money into the club too, so why would we not be able to afford that? We're not Fleetwood Town, mate.

Every summer a whole fleet of players are predicted to be sold. We never manage it. When we do sell, it's for peanuts. And if we did sell them all, every single sale leaves a gap in the squad which we want to try and fill with a better player.

Meanwhile Neves is a box-to-box midfielder (not a position we need to fill) for £100m.

Again, we cannot afford Joao Neves.

Looks technically superior but I don't know if he's almost as good as Casemiro defensively. With Mainoo no slouch in the defensive department either, he looks good enough for Ten Hag ball and a no-brainer signing for ~EUR40M.
I think the doesn't have the timing of Casemiro yet, but I do think he's very similar.

I remember him absolutely creaming the Arsenal midfielders at the Emirates, before inevitably getting sent off. I really enjoyed his performance despite the red.

Because he played alright for the last 4 games of the season.
After the system change, everything was more stable. Wouldn't look too far into it. I'd seriously consider even if he was free.

Ugarte though... probably one of the top candidates to replace Case, but they signed him for 50m, wouldn't be easy to find a deal

Mainoo is poor defensively other than being a body there right now. He was exposed many times last season.
That's a bit harsh, I think it was the set up that made it an almost impossible task for the majority of the season. He put in a lot of good defensive work despite that.

Have to link this to Jorge Mendes meeting with INEOS a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully the first of many links to good available players with the best agents.

Our season only started with 4 games left in many peoples eyes, hence the support for Ten Hag.
Don't you know it's only the last game that matters. Can you imagine what the caf would have been like if we lost our last game.

After the system change, everything was more stable. Wouldn't look too far into it. I'd seriously consider even if he was free.

Ugarte though... probably one of the top candidates to replace Case, but they signed him for 50m, wouldn't be easy to find a deal
What was the system change ? ( not being smart I genuinely don't know )

That's a bit harsh, I think it was the set up that made it an almost impossible task for the majority of the season. He put in a lot of good defensive work despite that.

I think coaches realised that he was drawn out of position easily and utilised the space between him and the defence to exploit us. I remember Villa doing it in one of his earlier games, with Ramsey tucking in behind him and getting a lot of space to attack. Other clubs started to cotton on after that and looked to use this against us also. But the 4-0 vs Palace was a disasterclass from him and all the others. We weren't even necessarily stretched as we had been in other games, our positioning and setup was just woeful. I believe this was the game we were dubbed the worst coached team in the league.

You'd certainly know you'd been playing against him, the amount of times he flies into you.

I think our spine and LW is badly missing aggression and cutting edge physical attributes. A few players like that should allow our creative players to flourish if they are finally willing to press as a unit.
as @lysglimt said above, he looks like the kind of lad who will probably get sent off once or twice a season. Nasty combative player who nobody will look forward to coming up against but will hopefully inspire his teammates to fight harder around him. Yes please.

What was the system change ? ( not being smart I genuinely don't know )
Can't find the article again but basically we went from the 1 man case midfield to a box midfield with a double pivot base, and the two wingers tucking in to help out when fullbacks pushed forward, drop Hojlund and Bruno false nine. Basically saved ten hag's job starting with a respectable defeat to Arsenal

Last edited:
I think coaches realised that he was drawn out of position easily and utilised the space between him and the defence to exploit us. I remember Villa doing it in one of his earlier games, with Ramsey tucking in behind him and getting a lot of space to attack. Other clubs started to cotton on after that and looked to use this against us also. But the 4-0 vs Palace was a disasterclass from him and all the others. We weren't even necessarily stretched as we had been in other games, our positioning and setup was just woeful. I believe this was the game we were dubbed the worst coached team in the league.
His positioning is a bit of a weakness but we don't need 2 amazing DMs IMO. I'm also assuming him and the team will improve in that department. We showed at the tail-end of the season that we can do well with an improved defensive shape to cover our deficiencies even with Amrabat. I like Ugarte's profile because I'd like to see us again play a debut season Casemiro with the added bonus of being press-resistant. Every time Casemiro played in that 1st half of the season, the team automatically played 5 - 10 yards higher up the pitch and usually able to win the ball high up the pitch.

I think because of last season's dross most people forget how entertainingly good we were back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.