Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the best football we played post SAF was during Ole's interim days. Back then we had a midfield of Matic-Herrera-Pogba. This trio was at the core of our 10 wins in a row.

If we manage to get Ugarte this window we can easily line up with Ugarte-Mainoo-Bruno, which would be very similar to that midfield trio. Ugarte will plug the gap at the back and might even work in ETH's suicidal 4-1-4-1 formation.

According to the PSG fans on reddit, they want to use the funds they get from selling this guy to get Neves.
That's fine, we can't have every player out there, as long as he's not going to a direct rival, him going to PSG is fine. We're not moving on from Bruno, Mainoo is our rising star, and Neves is not the ideal DM we need. Neves is 19 years old, I don't think we were ever really going to give the keys to our midfield to two 19 year olds. I think Neves would only become a priority if Benfica budged on the price tag enormously and if we had a surplus in funds. I think the goal for Neves would be for summer 2025 and beyond

I made a few posts about him before he moved to Europe. Watched him in some international youth games. I'll have to look them up later. I was a fan but haven't watched him much lately.
Yeah, I remember you asking and I wasn't watching local football much at all.

He has been immense ever since he came into the NT. We used to play a three man midfield, Bielsa switched to 4-2-3-1 with just him alongside Valverde (who has a great engine but loves to drive up the pitch).

You couldn't tell it was just the two of them against EnzoF, MacAllister and de Paul when we beat Argentina in Buenos Aires 2-0. They were everywhere, really got under their skin and even had Lio moaning about these kids not rolling over out of respect for the world champs.

Uber competitive, along with Licha he would bully the opposition. Get it done.

Here's a clip from that game. You will notice Bielsa has him dropping deep between the defenders to start the build up from the back.

There's also the fact that if he can do well playing DM for Bielsa he fits the challenge of being a DM under Hagball.

Loaning Ugarte and somehow getting Neves would be a masterstroke. We finally might have our new Scholes and Keane.

It would be sensational. Man, obvious deals to make but we're just not that club. We will keep Amrabat and buy Conor Gallagher or some shit instead.

People say we will never buy Joao Neves for that price because we need many new roles, but this is the mistake we've been doing for years that we need to stop doing. Buying a generational talent for a lot of money is better than buying 4-5 mediocre players because we need to fill more roles. We need to lift the quality of our team, not fill it with players who aren't good enough and who we will look to replace in two years.

It would be sensational. Man, obvious deals to make but we're just not that club. We will keep Amrabat and buy Conor Gallagher or some shit instead.

People say we will never buy Joao Neves for that price because we need many new roles, but this is the mistake we've been doing for years that we need to stop doing. Buying a generational talent for a lot of money is better than buying 4-5 mediocre players because we need to fill more roles. We need to lift the quality of our team, not fill it with players who aren't good enough and who we will look to replace in two years.

I think there is a balance to be had given the current state of our squad, but I do think Neves would be a massively missed opportunity. The two clubs who generally beat us to players (Madrid and Barca) are stacked in his position so you could argue we’ll never have a better shot at him than this summer. Next year we may have more competition.

So they spent €60m on him last summer and now are happy to sell? Is that a red flag or what would be the reason there?

If this is genuinely a possibility then it's an absolute gift from the gods. He's exactly what we need, in a way that I'm not sure any of the other midfield options rumoured so far have been.

He's a proper DM, positionally-disciplined, with a great engine, can compete physically, looks to dominate his part of the pitch, fairly press-resistant, and a secure (if not progressive) passer of the ball, with the range to ping it out to a winger when required.

But why would PSG be willing to let him go so soon?

Say it with me: we cannot afford Joao Neves.

If this is genuinely a possibility then it's an absolute gift from the gods. He's exactly what we need, in a way that I'm not sure any of the other midfield options rumoured so far have been.

He's a proper DM, positionally-disciplined, with a great engine, can compete physically, looks to dominate his part of the pitch, fairly press-resistant, and a secure (if not progressive) passer of the ball, with the range to ping it out to a winger when required.

The rumour seems to be they need money to fund Neves

Say it with me: we cannot afford Joao Neves.

Confidently incorrect. I like your style.

The price tag set by Benfica is around €120m, which is around £100m, so how could we not afford that? We have Varane and Martial confirmed out, Greenwood, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro on their way out and there will be a few more, maybe Sancho as well. SJR is going to inject money into the club too, so why would we not be able to afford that? We're not Fleetwood Town, mate.

So they spent €60m on him last summer and now are happy to sell? Is that a red flag or what would be the reason there?

Omar Berrada believes players must succeed in 1-2 years. Players staying for longer with poor performance will be deemed unacceptable- Fabrizio Romano. It makes sense really. If a player is not in the manager's plans and the club is determined to keep the manager then they are better off selling the player rather then see his price plummet to garbage. I think something similar is happening with Ugarte. It didn't help the fact that PSG is interested in Neves and he would cost a bomb.

The price tag set by Benfica is around €120m, which is around £100m, so how could we not afford that? We have Varane and Martial confirmed out, Greenwood, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro on their way out and there will be a few more, maybe Sancho as well. SJR is going to inject money into the club too, so why would we not be able to afford that? We're not Fleetwood Town, mate.

Don't we have about £50m to spend before sales?

@Adnan

How is Weiffer compared to him? Because I have a feeling Weiffer is better, especially aerially
Aerially there's no contest, Wieffer absolutely dominates in that regard and he's also better on the ball. He's a player who is 6'3 and along with being very capable on the ball, he's also a very strong dueller both in the air and on the ground. I don't believe he'd cost alot either and he's a player who at 24 years of age would be a low risk high reward type of signing.

Unfortunately for Wieffer he's missed the European championship through injury. And the Dutch have had a nightmare in that regard with all of Wieffer, de Jong and Koopmeiners missing the tournament which has severely weakened them.

Some of the best football we played post SAF was during Ole's interim days. Back then we had a midfield of Matic-Herrera-Pogba. This trio was at the core of our 10 wins in a row.

If we manage to get Ugarte this window we can easily line up with Ugarte-Mainoo-Bruno, which would be very similar to that midfield trio. Ugarte will plug the gap at the back and might even work in ETH's suicidal 4-1-4-1 formation.

Mainoo doesn’t even nearly have the engine to replace Herrera in that trio. If anything, he’s more suited to the Pogba role out of that 3.

I imagine due to PSR we might be struggling to make any big signings before sales until July when it starts again for new season. Not sure why they do it that way, should be end of the window in my opinion so teams aren’t scrambling to make sales or holding off.

Mainoo doesn’t even nearly have the engine to replace Herrera in that trio. If anything, he’s more suited to the Pogba role out of that 3.

Agree he doesn’t have much better work rate than Pogba but what he does have it far better positional intelligence and discipline.

Here's a clip from that game. You will notice Bielsa has him dropping deep between the defenders to start the build up from the back.

There's also the fact that if he can do well playing DM for Bielsa he fits the challenge of being a DM under Hagball.

I agree with this . He looks well suited . I think his style would make him a terrace favourite . I love the Uruguayan mentality . The work ethic is phenomenal .

Agree he doesn’t have much better work rate than Pogba but what he does have it far better positional intelligence and discipline.

That is true, although that isn’t the most important trait for the Herrera role - I think we need a high energy player to do such a role who can get about the pitch and put pressure on the ball. Mainoo has some of the traits of Pogba, but not really any qualities of Herrera I would say. I think in the long run he’ll be better suited to being midfielder 3 than midfielder 2.

He's not a proper CDM or positionally disciplined, hence he struggled. He is more of a ball winner/chaser. Was misprofiled and used incorrectly.

Wait, what?

Mainoo doesn't have a much better workrate than Pogba?!!?!

Ugarte would be dynamite. Cracking player and would help us in the middle of the park staying high and not panicking.

Anyone know who is agent is?

He has quickly lost his starting spot at PSG. Might be able to do a job in the PL but not convinced at United

He's not a proper CDM or positionally disciplined, hence he struggled. He is more of a ball winner/chaser. Was misprofiled and used incorrectly.
Can certainly play in double pivot, would work well with Mainoo who likes drop in during build up

If we only brought in Ugarte and signed Amrabat permanently whilst getting rid of Casemiro and VDB I’d be happy as we’d have Fernandes, Mainoo, Mount, McTominay and Eriksen also around.

Status
Not open for further replies.