Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think fans need to take into account the reasons why Enrique is so eager to move on from Ugarte.

I also think United were hugely unfortunate that Benfica were willing to move on from Neves this summer.

Banking on Casemiro and relying on him over a long hard season would be mind boggling naive and dumb.

Yeah that tweet makes little sense. There's no way we can rely on Casemiro and Mainoo to play at their top level for the majority of games this season, even without the risk of injuries. Casemiro especially as we've seen but even Mainoo will need to be rotated as he's still quite young and developing physically.

But then we can close this whole forum down for good, no? Because everyone is an armchair expert on here technically. The only difference in my opinions is that they're often not popular with other armchair experts.

What if we sign a player that the masses on here will not be happy with, like Sander Berge? Will then the scouts and directors be stupid?
You are correct everyone is intitled to their opinion and no ones opinion is any more correct than anyone else's

However Onana has signed for Villa so what's the point in bringing him up in the Ugarte thread? If he was still available at Everton, then that makes sense.

However he has signed for Villa and utd decided not to make a bid.

In regards to the example of sander berge, if the club decides he meets their specific requirements then I'd support the signing and look forward to seeing what the club saw in the player when they were doing their due diligence on him.

What I do understand is that you will read anything in a way that enables you to have a pop at the club. It's beyond hilarious at this point and just tedious.

That post read to me as being incredulous of the opinion of the journalist i.e. the club would have to be stupid to think that way.

Regardless of the history of the poster a warning seems quite harsh in this instance.

I do think fans need to take into account the reasons why Enrique is so eager to move on from Ugarte.

I also think United were hugely unfortunate that Benfica were willing to move on from Neves this summer.
It's not hard to understand though, he doesn't fit into Enrique's possession based football approach. That doesn't mean he's a poor player. Theirry Henry didn't fit in at Juventus and they sold him to arsenal. Doesn't make Henry a poor player.

Neves would have been ideal, however he's gone to the one club who are a basket case and move on players for any number of reasons. There's every chance we could sign him in the next few years.

Briefing a couple of journos that Casemiros good form makes Ugarte less of an essential purchase is exactly what a serious club would do when working to have PSG lower their asking price.

I would argue that Ugarte alone is not enough. With the departure of Amrabaat we have no replacement for Casemiro. Mainoo’s replacement is only Erikson (can barely a half). Mount and Mctominy should be viewed as 10s and not a CM.

The drop off we saw on Friday after the 60min is concerning. We will run both to the ground with number of games we have this season.

Briefing a couple of journos that Casemiros good form makes Ugarte less of an essential purchase is exactly what a serious club would do when working to have PSG lower their asking price.
You'll have to admit it's really weak PRopaganda though.

It's not hard to understand though, he doesn't fit into Enrique's possession based football approach. That doesn't mean he's a poor player. Theirry Henry didn't fit in at Juventus and they sold him to arsenal. Doesn't make Henry a poor player.

Neves would have been ideal, however he's gone to the one club who are a basket case and move on players for any number of reasons. There's every chance we could sign him in the next few years.
See, this is the issue I have with ETH set up.
I would like us to actually control the games.

That post read to me as being incredulous of the opinion of the journalist i.e. the club would have to be stupid to think that way.

Regardless of the history of the poster a warning seems quite harsh in this instance.
Yeah, in isolation it would seem that way. I get that.

See, this is the issue I have with ETH set up.
I would like us to actually control the games.
No offense but that's just what you as a fan want . May be ETH and our hierarchy has a different plan ?

They see something different and want to do it ?

Wonder what the hold up is as our new management has shown itself to be quite capable of swiftly getting things wrapped up when it comes to it.

Wonder what the hold up is as our new management has shown itself to be quite capable of swiftly getting things wrapped up when it comes to it.
The hold up being we don't want to pay whatever inflated price the seller demands of us as we always have in the past. Think it's clear the new management are trying to set a new precedence with us not simply caving everytime we want a player. We have a decades worth of having the reputation of willing to be fleeced that we're trying to undo.

Well I hope that's the reason they are doing it and not some crazy idea that Casemiro is enough

We don't want to pay the €60m they're looking for. They want to get their money back when they're trying to offload him a year after buying him so we're playing a little bit of hardball.

Is there really any need to rush with it? Personally I think that if the answer was "yes" then we'd really be in trouble.

He's a good player who will add something valuable to the team, but I don't see him being parachuted into the XI straight away for Liverpool for example. He'd be eased in just like any other signings.

We don't want to pay the €60m they're looking for. They want to get their money back when they're trying to offload him a year after buying him so we're playing a little bit of hardball.

If the hardball results is a deal that sees Utd pay a lower price then I can understand that, just hope it doesn't cost us any league points against Brighton or scousers in next two games.

If the hardball results is a deal that sees Utd pay a lower price then I can understand that, just hope it doesn't cost us any league points against Brighton or scousers in next two games.

Yeah absolutely agree but then it could also depend on outgoings. We don't have much actual cash, do we?

The problem is what if Casemiro’s form doesn’t last and he’s only capable of producing performances like this now and again? It’s a big risk making a decision like that based off a couple of performances at the start of the season. Who knows what he’ll be like when we start playing two games a week and the workload gets ramped up. I would hate for the window to shut and we realise Casemiro’s resurgence was only a little patch of form and now we have to rely on a second rate option like Berge or Amrabat because we tried to do things on the cheap.
100%, we seen this before with Matic starting well but burning out due to age. I don’t think anyone at the club is seriously thinking this anyway I’d hope

Casemiro isn't all that when it comes to passing either, lest we forget his first 2 seasons. The system and teammates' movement are as important in making him look good. I think this post 2 years ago from a Madrid fan is really on point:

From another Madrid fan: spot on

100%, we seen this before with Matic starting well but burning out due to age. I don’t think anyone at the club is seriously thinking this anyway I’d hope

Yeah hoping it's purely a negotiation tactic to show PSG that we can cope without signing DM

Been thinking this myself. On current form would he even start?

Such a short sighted take when we also have to play 60+ matches this season...

We absolutely need someone besides soon to be 33 year old Casemiro in that role in the team. The whole point is to not have to run him into the ground while mitigating any massive drops in quality at that position when he's being rested/rotated.

That's the only way that we'll be able to consistently get the most out of this fitter, leaner version of Casemiro this season.

We absolutely need someone besides soon to be 33 year old Casemiro in that role in the team. The whole point is to not have to run him into the ground while mitigating any massive drops in quality at that position when he's being rested/rotated.

That's the only way that we'll be able to consistently get the most out of this fitter, leaner version of Casemiro this season.

Yeah we simply have to sign that type of player

Christ sake,we need Ugarte,Casemiro on his own for the whole season will be disastrous.

No chance Casemiro will play 30 games this season, he’s shown in recent years that later in the season he looks dead on his feet. We need a replacement I’ve seen 2 years of Casemiro and barring the first 4 months it’s been a disaster of a transfer filled with injuries, suspensions and virtually a full season out of form I’m not being fooled by a decent first game

If we rely on Casemiro this season we are probably fecked.

Relying on Cas and Mainoo? Can’t believe that for a second. Mainoo is young, he can’t be expected to hold it all together when Cas predictably gets injured or loses form.

Asking for trouble if we are solely relying on Casemiro. Does Julien not know our injury record and Casemiro’s huge drop off in form last season?

We need another option in that position. Whether that is Ugarte or someone else then so be it. Cannot go into this season with just Casemiro being the only natural player in that role.

We should certainly be concerned that Casemiro has aged another year during the last page or so. At this rate he'll be done before the next game.

People are just not reading that tweet properly. Laurens is not suggesting we rely solely on Casemiro, he suggesting that if he's number one then we may choose to spend less on a backup to him. We obviously are doing that with the interest in Berge.

For me the bigger picture is the team. I feel we have been focusing on individuals and individual performances over team and team performances.

What I mean here is that yeah currently Eriksen needs gone as we need legs and stamina.

However, that said, for me Eriksen is an intelligent and canny player who can split defences and control pace of a game. AS LONG as he has team mates who can do some of the "labouring".

This is why a Ugarte type is key for us. Not only does it help an Eriksen type but also helps say Bruno, who doesn't need to be everywhere.

It also helps the defence as they have an extra layer of protection not offered by likes of Mct and Bruno and/or Eriksen.

Getting a Ugarte type also helps likes of Maguire who, pace aside, has been really quiet good for us.

Now some may disagree about my views on Eriksen or individual players and fair enough. However the team point is key.

He looks like he'd be a very good cog in our wheel, but limited as a standalone player. Which there's nothing wrong with, just need PSG to loosen their demands.

I think they know he's going, he's been dropped from them all together.

I think Casemiro and Mainoo would divide the playing time between each other, while Ugarte would be the mainstay mostly. And it would also give us the option of playing a 433 with Bruno either at false nine or playing without Bruno.

People are just not reading that tweet properly. Laurens is not suggesting we rely solely on Casemiro, he suggesting that if he's number one then we may choose to spend less on a backup to him. We obviously are doing that with the interest in Berge.
Casemiro doesn't really play as a no.6 anymore so Ugarte would be a different profile of player if we brought him in.

It also remains to be seen whether Casemiro's starting by design or out of necessity. We don't really have a proper alternative to play alongside Mainoo right now so the plan could still be to replace him in the starting eleven once we have a suitable player.

I think Casemiro will have a much better season but I agree it's risky to just assume him and Collyer will be enough.

At the same time, Ugarte price is a ripoff so feck PSG until they get more reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.