Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you think this type of performance as a 6 in this video would benefit or hinder the team?

I mean there are more forward progressive passes in this one game clip than most of our midfielders make all season!

This is what I miss more than anything in our team, little passes through the lines, opening up play. He might not be the best at it but he clearly CAN do it. He can also clearly win the ball high, make interceptions and start play. If we are only buying one midfielder, it should be him because he does a little bit of everything we are missing

In truth we currently need both what Ugarte offers and the things he's lacking. Because talented though Mainoo is, he currently offers neither a high end progressive passing game, nor high end defensive output.

Which means unless you find a unicorn midfielder who provides both, no midfielder you pair with him is going to leave us without a key weakness in midfield. That's the cost of building around a young player who is still developing.

Bang on. Way I see it, Mainoo and Bruno midfield lacks 4 things :

• Physicality
  • Aerial ability
  • Ball Winning
  • Progressive passing from deep

Now Ugarte checks one, maybe two boxes at most. Casemiro checks all of the boxes(when his legs permit it). Maybe we should have gone after Amadou Onana. Sander Berge also makes sense looking at this list.

Ederson from Atalanta could also be a good fit.

Last edited:
Ok so you are shitting on a potential signing while not knowing anything? Plenty here would have seen him. He was excellent for Sporting, he played for PSG and he's a vital player for Uruguay who just had an international tournament where he played excellently in.

He's safe and reliable on the ball. He's not some McTominay where you don't want him on the ball. He's pretty press resistant, and keeps play ticking. He's not a creative passer, but he also is nowhere near a liability on the ball. Not everyone can or has to be the player to be the playmaker. We have playmakers out the back like Martinez, Mainoo with his carrying and will grow the passing side more, Bruno with his passing and so on. We need an aggressive and energetic ball winner to cover and rotate Mainoo, Casemiro etc, and Ugarte would do loads here.
I have already said that I watched him in a couple of games in the Copa and was not overly impressed with him and posed questions on here with no reply which lead to that comment.
I have no issue with shitting on players at other clubs but I do not like to shit on our players unless they are taking the piss or are just not up to it.
If we bring him in at a decent price then I will back him like I do any Utd player, I just simply do not want us to get rinsed for a player that from what I have seen is rather limited.

Personal terms are still attractive at Utd.

He's supposedly on a somewhat sensible wage at PSG, contract listed at 3 to 5m€ / year or quoted at 120k€ / week gross depending on sources. Payroll & income taxes are supposedly more favorable in the UK than France. If so not a huge hurdle to match and improve without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Ugarte isnt just about intensity and fighting spirit, his abilities on the ball are very underrated. Hes the kind of player who could take our midfield to the next level, bringing a balance we have been missing for years. This is the signing United must make.
Let's hope it happens by the end of the window.

Not sure if a pure DM warrior such as him is a good foil for our other midfielders.

He certainty will keep us together and less open at the back, but might disrupt the balance.

• Physicality
  • Aerial ability
  • Ball Winning

Now Ugarte checks one, maybe two boxes at most. Casemiro checks all of the boxes(when his legs permit it). Maybe we should have gone after Amadou Onana. Sander Berge also makes sense looking at this list.

Yeah feel he can tick the physicality and ball winning boxes, so need to find sign a second midfielder who ticks the other ones and it will give us great flexibility depending on opponent

Being crap in CL is the reason he's on the out at PSG, for the record

Can't say I know the player but from what little I've seen and the way people who presumably have seen a lot more of him talk, I think he might be a good partner for Casemiro, but a poor one for Mainoo. Then again if United are seemingly only willing to sign him at a certain price, they obviously don't rate him as a must sign player either

Also, United's defensive structure is bad. You'd be better off with ten Hag working on improving that rather than rely on one player to solve the issue...
PSG and Madrid judging players isn’t a benchmark for anyone. Both of y’all will get rid of players just to get the next shiny toy. Just cause they say you aren’t part of the team doesn’t mean the player isn’t good.

What you say in the 2nd para does my head in. Another poster who hasn’t really seen him play a lot but still shits on him. This narrative that he can’t be a good partner to Mainoo is false. If he stays back and cleans up he actually improves Mainoo’s game - something that Casemeiro doesn’t do all the time cause he pushes up.

Also we are only willing to sign at a certain price cause that’s the right thing to do. Just cause we want him doesn’t mean we go and pay €60-70m for him. Makes no sense when they just got him last year for €50m can clearly want to get rid. Did you pay €100m for Mbappe last year or did you wait to sign him on a free? Doesn’t that mean he isnt worth €100m?

Our defensive structure is bad cause we had so many injuries last year. The year before we had the most clean sheets in the league and guess who was fit and shielding the back four? Casemeiro! But his legs are clearly gone and Ugarte is the perfect replacement with his work rate, stamina and tackling. He will improve us in every regard.

Last edited:
We lack control in midfield
It’s anarchy at times in the middle of the park when we’re playing. We need someone who can dictate play, calm things down and make us tick.

Not sure if an aggressive ball winner is the solution.
Agree, we need calmness and good positioning, not more chaos in the midfield.

It’s anarchy at times in the middle of the park when we’re playing. We need someone who can dictate play, calm things down and make us tick.

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting he can be the new Scholes and dictate play but if you are looking for calmness and playing passes to keep us ticking then he is your man. Not only that when a pass isn’t available, he is actually good at dribbling to find open spaces. And just cause he slide tackles doesn’t mean he isn’t calm on the ball.
Agree, we need calmness and good positioning, not more chaos in the midfield.
To be a good CDM, which he is, you need to have good positioning to clear the ball when defending and slide tackle. He does that. Not exactly sure what you mean by he will more chaos to our midfield?

PSG and Madrid judging players isn’t a benchmark for anyone. Both of y’all will get rid of players just to get the next shiny toy. Just cause they say you aren’t part of the team doesn’t mean the player isn’t good.
Heh. Maybe so, but if a player is good for us we won't push him out unless there's personal/financial reasons involved. And anyways, I was actually pointing out the irony in posting a CL performance as an example of what this guy can do...when his inability to play well in CL is the reason PSG don't want him anymore. I mean, it's a fact that after that admittedly good performance in the debut against Dortmund, he was an absolute disaster in the following 4 games against Newcastle and Milan, after which Luis Enrique lost all faith in him. Which is why he's out at PSG
Also we are only willing to sign at a certain price cause that’s the right thing to do. Just cause we want him doesn’t mean we go and pay €60-70m for him. Makes no sense when they just got him last year for €50m can clearly want to get rid. Did you pay €100m for Mbappe last year or did you wait to sign him on a free? Doesn’t that mean he isnt worth €100m?
We tried to sign him for 200M in 2021, when he had one year left on his contract, actually. United just spent 60M on an 18 year old injured defender with a year left on his deal. Big clubs will not much care how much they have to pay for a signing they consider strategical
Our defensive structure is bad cause we had so many injuries last year. The year before we had the most clean sheets in the league and guess who was fit and shielding the back four? Casemeiro! But his legs aren’t clearly gone and Ugarte is the perfect replacement with his work rate, stamina and tackling. He will improve us in every regard.
It was bad yerstarday too. And that's my point anyways: building your structure around a single player's skillset is stupid. You're better off trying something that doesn't hinge on one guy playing every minute of every game to work. Especially defensively

I think a midfield three of him Casemiro and Mainoo would work brilliantly. You’d get to see the best of all three. Up to those vying for the positions ahead of that to battle. Could even go with a diamond or a 4-3-1-2. Ugarte with Casemiro would be such a difference to what we’ve been witnessing recently. We’d go from giving up massive amounts of space to giving away very little. That plus higher defence line now that we have players capable of playing a higher line, it would work very well.

We tried to sign him for 200M in 2021, when he had one year left on his contract, actually. United just spent 60M on an 18 year old injured defender with a year left on his deal. Big clubs will not much care how much they have to pay for a signing they consider strategical

It was bad yerstarday too. And that's my point anyways: building your structure around a single player's skillset is stupid. You're better off trying something that doesn't hinge on one guy playing every minute of every game to work. Especially defensively
You “tried” to sign but you still didn’t. If PSG were asking for more and clearly wanted him then why didn’t you pay more? Cause there is a “right” price that every club wants to pay. Same situation here.

Again building a structure is easier when everyone is fit. Also when you have a workhorse like Ugarte it helps improve the team around him. We aren’t bringing him in to just rely on him and building the team around him but rather to let the team play around him and he can do the clean up work.

You “tried” to sign but you still didn’t. If PSG were asking for more and clearly wanted him then why didn’t you pay more? Cause there is a “right” price that every club wants to pay. Same situation here.
Because PSG didn't even reject our offer, they refused to even answer. At that point making further offers is pointless(we still tried to let them know we were ready to increase the offer anyways)
Again building a structure is easier when everyone is fit. Also when you have a workhorse like Ugarte it helps improve the team around him. We aren’t bringing him in to just rely on him and building the team around him but rather to let the team play around him and he can do the clean up work.
Sure

Will this end up being that loan with obligation to buy or do we finally agree a fee sometime next week. I can't imagine he will want to sit out another PSG matchday squad

Mainoo is developing in that and Wharton is for sure the long term target. We need to address both that and the ball winning aspect, while letting Mainoo develop his playmaking. He can dictate tempo, and he already showed yesterday in the first half how he's controlling games more (the most touches and passes on the pitch). But he's still young.

Given we aren't signing Wharton this summer and Ugarte is a really good option to address the other bit, it just makes sense.

Our coaching is also part of the reason for the midfield play, just with what Ten Hag wants. Ugarte would have a bigger immediate impact to our squad and how we'll play while getting the best out of Mainoo and Casemiro, and then next summer we can replace Casemiro with that deep passer in Wharton.

We should be getting Sander Berge all day long over this guy.

• Physicality
  • Aerial ability
  • Ball Winning

Can Onana tick all boxes ??

https://fbref.com/en/players/828657ff/Amadou-Onana
Amadou OnanaPer 90
Passes Attempted45.16
Pass Completion84.1%
Progressive Passes4.63
Progressive Carries0.85
Successful take-ons0.54
Progressive Passes Rec1.48
Tackles3.19
Interceptions0.90
Blocks1.08
Clearances1.35
Aerials Won2.29

We should be getting Sander Berge all day long over this guy.

Fair enough if you don’t want Ugarte but I’m sick of seeing this guy mentioned. He’s never in his entire career looked good enough for a top side that’s why he will be playing his third season of Championship football

Absolute bizarre link to a player a million miles away from a top 6 team it’s fecking ridiculous

I mean surely it’s worth giving your own opinion? Or too risky?
Lets hear yours or is he the only player in world for you?

I'd have gone for Onana before Villa myself and think even Berge is closer to profile we need.

Could have an effect on this deal if PSG now go in for Osimhen. They will need some money back presumably by selling Ugarte to us

Lets hear yours or is he the only player in world for you?

I'd have gone for Onana before Villa myself and think even Berge is closer to profile we need.
Not at all. But was just curious to hear your views as you have been quite boastful on the forum about always being right.

Will be interesting to see how Onana develops.

Not at all. But was just curious to hear your views as you have been quite boastful on the forum about always being right.

Will be interesting to see how Onana develops.
Far more right than wrong were my actual words.

Like when I told you Casemiro wasn't a great signing at that price for silly wages - now we're here trying to replace him.

Not sure if a pure DM warrior such as him is a good foil for our other midfielders.

He certainty will keep us together and less open at the back, but might disrupt the balance.
I disagree, this midfield (Bruno and Mainoo) need a pure DM as overall they are not compact enough

• Physicality
  • Aerial ability
  • Ball Winning

I don't think Onana would've sold our problems, and I think the lack of bigger teams going after him answers that question. He's okay but he's not what you want if you're aiming for the top. He'd most likely have to be replaced sooner than later. There's not a lot of good 6's out there, Berge I think could be a good short term stop gap, and I haven't watched enough of Ederson to have an opinion on him

Every big team is looking for a 6 and we're no different, I think Ugarte is interesting because I think Casemiro can play with him and his style of playing feels like we can have different lineups and we wouldn't be so shaky in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.