Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressing has been decent. I like what I've seen so far from Mazraoui, they have to play that right side more often as I think Amad and Mazraoui has been good whenever the ball played to the right. But the final ball and passes has been below standard so far, although tbf maybe the lack of preseason played a big part

Casemiro has added creativity to his game, which will be missed if we sign Ugarte.

Perhaps but you can also have Ugarte/Case for some games or after subs which on paper you'd think would be solid defensively but with the Brazilian having some leeway to play 8.

We simply have to sign him (or a suitable alternative) I'm afraid. Casemiro-Mainoo doesn't have the legs to last a whole game, let alone the long season ahead.

We need him(or a player like him). As good as Casemiro and Mainoo were tonight, they don't have the legs for 90 mins of PL football. Ugarte can partner any one of them to relieve that pressure.

He's not what we need, if anything, tonight's match confirmed it. This guy can't pass.

The type of player I think United need and the type of player ETH wants are completely different.

We can’t rely on Casemiro & Mainoo alone. He’ll play plenty with both.

We can rotate three of them to keep the fresh leg..
Case #8 + Ugarte #6
Mainoo #8 + Case #6
Mainoo #8 + Ugarte #6

The stamina of Mainoo is seems not ready for full 90 mins..

But he could help snuff out the numerous counters that Fulham really should have taken should the Pre Season Pirlo have picked out a better pass
That's ok. We need someone that will allow Casemiro and Mainoo to run backwards less.
He'll do until Wharton comes, then start on the bench - giving excellent squad depth - hopefully!

Depends on the price. I cannot get on board with signing a 50 million player on 100k+ wages that doesn't have an important long-term role in our project. That's what 20 million signings are for. If we get him I'll hope he proves me wrong but it feels like a mistake in the making. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Collyer was twice the player tbh.

He's not what we need, if anything, tonight's match confirmed it. This guy can't pass.
Firstly he can pass. This narrative that he can’t is misinformed. Secondly from what we saw we need a solid defensive shield in front of the big four. And that’s exactly what he is. Look back to what a difference Casemeiro made his first season sitting in front of the back four.

Thirdly he is an excellent dribbler of the ball so in situations where you need a way out he can dribble his way and find open spaces/players. Plus he is younger, had good stamina, is quick and he brings the shithousery like Martinez does. He is exactly what we need.

What? He’s exactly what we need to break up attacks.
I think we need a better out of possession structure. It's not diabolical but it can be greatly improved IMO. It would solve a lot of our OTB issues we saw today.
Firstly he can pass. This narrative that he can’t is misinformed. Secondly from what we saw we need a solid defensive shield in front of the big four. And that’s exactly what he is. Look back to what a difference Casemeiro made his first season sitting in front of the back four.

Thirdly he is an excellent dribbler of the ball so in situations where you need a way out he can dribble his way and find open spaces/players. Plus he is younger, had good stamina, is quick and he brings the shithousery like Martinez does. He is exactly what we need.
We need someone that has a much better passing range than Mainoo. Ugarte has a much worse one. We'll be awful at progressing the ball through the opponent's lines with Ugarte behind Mainoo.

He's exactly what we need, an aggresive presser who helps the team press/counter press. Is more comfortable receiving the ball in space than Casemiro, is more careful with the ball then Casemiro, does his job and will let Kobbie and Bruno do their thing. For Ten Hags tactics he slots in nicely.

The only issue is you lose Casemiros grest heading.

I actually thought our midfield did well at periods during the game but as others have said, it's more about the energy (or lack of) that concerns you. If this guy can cover the pitch quickly and get tackles in we'll be better for it.

I think we need a better out of possession structure. It's not diabolical but it can be greatly improved IMO. It would solve a lot of our OOB issues we saw today.

We need someone that has a much better passing range than Mainoo. Ugarte has a much worse one.
You’re confusing the role of a #6 and a #8.

Depends on the price. I cannot get on board with signing a 50 million player on 100k+ wages that doesn't have an important long-term role in our project. That's what 20 million signings are for. If we get him I'll hope he proves me wrong but it feels like a mistake in the making. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Collyer was twice the player tbh.
Oh that's fair enough for me. I don't know much about Ugarte if he's the right player for the quoted price. I think my point is that we certainly need a midfielder, probably 2 if Mctominay also leaves.

You’re confusing the role of a #6 and a #8.
I don't think so. I just think we need a #6 that can do the things Mainoo cannot. I love the kid but he's not the complete player. With a good passer behind him we'd have a pretty good midfield. With someone like Ugarte I think we will have big build-up problems.
Oh that's fair enough for me. I don't know much about Ugarte if he's the right player for the quoted price. I think my point is that we certainly need a midfielder, probably 2 if Mctominay also leaves.
I think we need a midfielder too, obviously.

Today's match if anything hammers in that he's exactly what we need. Mainoo can't play more than 60 minutes, Casemiro can't play like this when fixtures start building up... Both need Ugarte's legs around them to rotate them and partner them.

Long term of course need a passer like Wharton next summer, but for now need Ugarte.

He'll do until Wharton comes, then start on the bench - giving excellent squad depth - hopefully!
We shouldn't be spending £60m on a backup. If we're spending that on Ugarte he needs to be coming in as 1st choice

Today's match if anything hammers in that he's exactly what we need.

In truth we currently need both what Ugarte offers and the things he's lacking. Because talented though Mainoo is, he currently offers neither a high end progressive passing game, nor high end defensive output.

Which means unless you find a unicorn midfielder who provides both, no midfielder you pair with him is going to leave us without a key weakness in midfield. That's the cost of building around a young player who is still developing.

Ugarte helps address one of those issues, and the one that based on last season is the most urgently in need of addressing. So if you can buy him for a reasonable price you do. But nobody is promising one buy will get us the perfect midfield. You just have to live with the flaws for now, until either Mainoo develops more or further signings are made in midfield.

In truth we currently need both what Ugarte offers and the things he's lacking. Because talented though Mainoo is, he currently offers neither a high end progressive passing game, nor high end defensive output.

Which means unless you find a unicorn midfielder who provides both, no midfielder you pair with him is going to leave us without a key weakness in midfield. That's the cost of building around a young player who is still developing.

Ugarte helps address one of those issues, and the one that based on last season is the most urgently in need of addressing. So if you can buy him for a reasonable price you do. But nobody is promising one buy will get us the perfect midfield. You just have to live with the flaws for now, until either Mainoo develops more or further signings are made in midfield.
Yup. Ugarte gives us the more immediate fix while giving Mainoo space to develop his passing game. And ideally next summer when we replace Casemiro (realistically), we can go for Wharton and have a potential trio of Ugarte, Wharton and Mainoo.

I don't think so. I just think we need a #6 that can do the things Mainoo cannot. I love the kid but he's not the complete player. With a good passer behind him we'd have a pretty good midfield. With someone like Ugarte I think we will have big build-up problems.

Can you give me a #6 who is a realistic target that can do the things you are saying he is supposed to be doing?

I don't see how we'd have big build up problems when Sporting never had build up problems with him. Eriksen is a good passer, but he is not a good fit next to Mainoo. We need legs in there, even today it was clear that against better midfields, we will get run over.

Not sure if he's the best one player we can get to move our team forwards but he's certainly a talent on certain attributes.

If we do get him, I want to see a midfield three of him, Mount and Bruno for some games with Amad, Garnacho and Zirkzee just to see the relentless pressing and hurrying.. :drool:

I don't see how we'd have big build up problems when Sporting never had build up problems with him. Eriksen is a good passer, but he is not a good fit next to Mainoo. We need legs in there, even today it was clear that against better midfields, we will get run over.
Hopefully Collyer can come in and do a job for 20+ minutes. He was on the bench against Fulham, kinda surprised he didn't get in.

Hopefully Collyer can come in and do a job for 20+ minutes. He was on the bench against Fulham, kinda surprised he didn't get in.
Cause we weren’t leading by 3 goals. We were in need of a goal. Once we got it we were just defending and we weren’t going to take off Case.

The "once we got it part" is where he would have been useful.
Who are you taking off? Scott just came on. None of the defenders were going to come off. Bruno is not coming off. Garna and Zirkzee were subs. We needed Rashy for his speed in case we have a counter attack to kill the game.

Do you think this type of performance as a 6 in this video would benefit or hinder the team?

Get him in, we need cover for Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.