Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you think this type of performance as a 6 in this video would benefit or hinder the team?

he’s a brilliant player but I do think he’ll divide fans if we get him. Half of the posters on here don’t seem to value or see the need for players who consistently do the dirty work well. Nobdoy wants to come up against lads like him as it’s always going to be a slog. He has a lovely ball between the lines when he choses to use it. I could see him regularly stopping counters against us and starting them for us.

he’s a brilliant player but I do think he’ll divide fans if we get him. Half of the posters on here don’t seem to value or see the need for players who consistently do the dirty work well. Nobdoy wants to come up against lads like him as it’s always going to be a slog. He has a lovely ball between the lines when he choses to use it. I could see him regularly stopping counters against us and starting them for us.
Completely disagree, I think the large majority here value that almost too much at times. Hell Antony still has defenders to this day because he tracks back well even though he's a forward. fecking Weghorst had a cult following after being arguably the worst consitently starting striker in the history of United because he ran a ton.

My only hesitation with Ugarte is whether he's good enough at actually winning those 50/50's he's going to get into in the PL. He's aggressive as feck but if he's going into challenges and ultimately losing out he'll feck us over positionally. Because that's the difference between some nippy midfielder that runs around a lot but gets caught out, and a real top level PL defensive mid.

Mainoo is far from a progressive passer, and is neither a high-volume passer. He has excellent technical ability, and is very young so there is a good chance that he will become a great passing midfielder, but right now he is just a very good prospect with immense potential who mostly keeps it very simple (backwards or sideway passing). He has the tools to become very good at it though, and has high dribbling abilities that most good passing midfielders lack. But Bruno is the only progressive passer we have and we do not have a single high volume passer in our team (the likes of Carrick and Scholes were both progressive and high volume).

I am afraid that a midfield of Mainoo-Ugarte loses the midfield battle against any half decent team, and even Casemiro who is far from a great passer is miles better at passing than both. Someone like peak Carrick or Alonso would have been perfect for us, and perfect for Mainoo.
I don't think so. I just think we need a #6 that can do the things Mainoo cannot. I love the kid but he's not the complete player. With a good passer behind him we'd have a pretty good midfield. With someone like Ugarte I think we will have big build-up problems.

I think we need a midfielder too, obviously.
I don't get it. Mainoo is clearly a very good young player who will have a place in this team, and obviously excels with a ball at his feet - progressing the play is his strength.

A good passer - someone in the Carrick or Alonso mould - is equally obviously not a natural compliment to Kobbie. Any holding midfielder with that kind of quality as a playmaker is not going to have the requisite energy and physical robustness to create a rounded partnership with Mainoo.

He's not what we need, if anything, tonight's match confirmed it. This guy can't pass.
This is such a myth. He's a conservative passer, not an incompetent one. If you watch compilations of his individual matches, especially for Uruguay, you'll see he's very capable of a line-breaking pass when he wants to play one. He's never going to be Carrick, but he's a much better passer than say, McTominay.

I think we just need more midfield options in general. We had pretty much all our midfielders starting the match and you'd be a bit doubtful about 3 of the 4 being cut out for every minute of every game.
We need cover for casemiro. We need more defensive minded options in general really. I wouldn't turn down a good option that's available for a more glamourous carrick type player that isn't. Even if or when we get a player like de jong or neves you'll still want a guy like casemiro or ugarte next to them.
I see Mainoo as more of a 10 at this point in time and dont think hes that relevant. An Iniesta or a Seedorf who plays next to Gattuso (Casemiro) and Pirlo (Wharton?)

This is such a myth. He's a conservative passer, not an incompetent one. If you watch compilations of his individual matches, especially for Uruguay, you'll see he's very capable of a line-breaking pass when he wants to play one. He's never going to be Carrick, but he's a much better passer than say, McTominay.
Not a very high bar to be fair. But completely agree that he's conservative. He mostly plays it safe. But I would say that we need someone to play progressive passes though.

His teammate Zaire-Emery looks to be a better fit but I don't think PSG will ever sell him. Not as aggressive ball winner as Ugarte but can certainly do the dirty work while being more expansive player.

Ugarte is a good ball winner but he isn't worth the €60m PSG are demanding. €40-45m is more than a fair price for him but seems like they aren't budging. I just hope we don't end up paying what they demand.

Really hope we get this one done. We need legs in midfield. You'd imagine his energy will make us a less susceptible to getting carved open.

Depends on what minute in the game. 5 minutes left? No, McT. 25 minutes left? Yeah Collyer.

Bringing on a fresh midfielder to help grab control over the game to eventually create/score more is a sound strategy.
And who exactly would you have taken off in the 65th min with 25 to go for Collyer to come in?

Completely disagree, I think the large majority here value that almost too much at times. Hell Antony still has defenders to this day because he tracks back well even though he's a forward. fecking Weghorst had a cult following after being arguably the worst consitently starting striker in the history of United because he ran a ton.

My only hesitation with Ugarte is whether he's good enough at actually winning those 50/50's he's going to get into in the PL. He's aggressive as feck but if he's going into challenges and ultimately losing out he'll feck us over positionally. Because that's the difference between some nippy midfielder that runs around a lot but gets caught out, and a real top level PL defensive mid.
Weghorst...a cult following????
Where do you get this from?

Not a very high bar to be fair. But completely agree that he's conservative. He mostly plays it safe. But I would say that we need someone to play progressive passes though.

His teammate Zaire-Emery looks to be a better fit but I don't think PSG will ever sell him. Not as aggressive ball winner as Ugarte but can certainly do the dirty work while being more expansive player.

Ugarte is a good ball winner but he isn't worth the €60m PSG are demanding. €40-45m is more than a fair price for him but seems like they aren't budging. I just hope we don't end up paying what they demand.
We would be better off going for Berge.

We would be better off going for Berge.
Said it before but if we can get him for half of what PSG are demanding then I'm all for it. He appears to be a more well rounded player + better in the air than Ugarte and certainly doesn't appear to be as bad as this forum thinks. Will definitely take him as a squad player here.

No we won’t. I still can’t believe people are saying Berge is better. He has basically played for a Championship team for 4 years FFS.
Tell me when you have watched Ugarte and what has impressed you about him?

The way you're speaking about Ugarte makes me think you know nothing about him and are just upset he isn't a creative passer, even though our team lacks am energetic ball winner.

It used to be easier.
Don't see the relevance. There is still place in the modern game for a great tackler - at least moreso than someone who isn't very good at anything. I haven't watched much of either of these two but based on the clips Ugarte looks much more impressive even if ideally I'd want a DM who is better on the ball (as I've said many a time here). Of the options we are linked with, he seems the most interesting. And given Casemiro's age and dying legs, we can't fail to sign a midfielder.

The way you're speaking about Ugarte makes me think you know nothing about him and are just upset he isn't a creative passer, even though our team lacks am energetic ball winner.
I don't..and I don't think anyone on here knows either.
A bit of quality on the ball is not too much to ask for a player with a 50mil quid price tag on his head....maybe I am wrong.

A bit of quality on the ball is not too much to ask for a player with a 50mil quid price tag on his head....maybe I am wrong.
Ok so you are shitting on a potential signing while not knowing anything? Plenty here would have seen him. He was excellent for Sporting, he played for PSG and he's a vital player for Uruguay who just had an international tournament where he played excellently in.

He's safe and reliable on the ball. He's not some McTominay where you don't want him on the ball. He's pretty press resistant, and keeps play ticking. He's not a creative passer, but he also is nowhere near a liability on the ball. Not everyone can or has to be the player to be the playmaker. We have playmakers out the back like Martinez, Mainoo with his carrying and will grow the passing side more, Bruno with his passing and so on. We need an aggressive and energetic ball winner to cover and rotate Mainoo, Casemiro etc, and Ugarte would do loads here.

Keep on saying it we need to sign him and more of a tempo controller, however don't see that profile of player being signed this summer. So should see if we could get Rabiot on a free as he could give us another midfield option. Failing that look at someone for reasonable price who is able to play 6/8, so feel free to put forward any names.

Doesn't feel to me like we are going to sign two midfielders, however we really need a different profile in there to Ugarte/Berge then it will give us more flexibility in that area.

Last edited:
I have watched him at Sporting but more so at PSG and Uruguay. He is good on the ball. He doesn’t lose possession easily. He is a very good dribbler. He makes good tackles and is good at breaking up play. He is quick for a CDM and is a proper destroyer. He has more experience playing for bigger teams and has a well rounded European league experience.

So you accept you don’t know anything about him yet you prefer Berge. Does that makes sense to you?

And just cause you don’t know about him you’ve grouped the entire cafe in the same boat as you. Maybe posters here, like myself, have actually watched him play.

Ugarte sounds like if Ji Sung Park and Kante had a baby.

I think itll work out and his passing can be worked on, high press with transitions he will be an asset no doubts.

Keep on saying it we need to sign him and more of a tempo controller, however don't see that profile of player being signed this summer. So should see if we could get Rabiot on a free as he could give us another midfield option. Failing that look at someone for reasonable price who is able to play 6/8, so feel free to put forward any names.

Doesn't feel to me like we are going to sign two midfielders, however we really need a different profile in there to Ugarte/Berge then it will give us more flexibility in that area.

Don't need Berge. We have Casemiro who will be class this season.

I think Ugarte will provide great competition in midfield and raise everyone's level.

If you haven't watched him then you're in no position to be complaining about his passing. Watch a few of his matches (like i and others have) and then we can talk about his passing. Someone literally posted a compilation of his contributions in the CL against Dortmund where about 40% of his passes are successful line-breaking balls. He clearly is capable when he's asked to do it.

We lack control in midfield
It’s anarchy at times in the middle of the park when we’re playing. We need someone who can dictate play, calm things down and make us tick.

Not sure if an aggressive ball winner is the solution.

Do you think this type of performance as a 6 in this video would benefit or hinder the team?

Being crap in CL is the reason he's on the out at PSG, for the record

Can't say I know the player but from what little I've seen and the way people who presumably have seen a lot more of him talk, I think he might be a good partner for Casemiro, but a poor one for Mainoo. Then again if United are seemingly only willing to sign him at a certain price, they obviously don't rate him as a must sign player either

Also, United's defensive structure is bad. You'd be better off with ten Hag working on improving that rather than rely on one player to solve the issue...

I think last night proved, yet again, why a Ugarte type saying is essential (and has been for the last two years). Playing four midfielders and no striker is not a sustainable formation for a team that struggles to score goals yet as soon as Mount came off last night all the old problems from last season reared their heads again.

When Kobbie and Casemiro push up high and press, it’s so easy for athletic teams to counter with a quick one two. Our midfielders do not have the positioning or athletic abilities to cover the ground and our box is then exposed. Nine times out of ten this will lead to a mad scramble and the hope that the attacking side mess up their counter.

We have to have a more athletic midfielder in the team or this season will be very reminiscent of last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.