Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madrids current squad cost them in the ballpark of €700m in transfer fees, and that’s without counting the massive signing on fees paid to “free transfers” like Mbappe, Rudiger and Alaba.

fair point. Not too cheap still great value given how young their squad is.

This one will happen in the final week of the window (maybe even on deadline day). Our first XI is strong enough to handle the delay (unless Casemiro gets injured). Hopefully this gets concluded for a good price. INEOS did well with the negotiations for De Ligt and Mazraoui.

Just hope we don't drop any silly points in the delay getting this deal over the line, particularly to the scousers in a couple of weeks

Madrids current squad cost them in the ballpark of €700m in transfer fees, and that’s without counting the massive signing on fees paid to “free transfers” like Mbappe, Rudiger and Alaba.
For a 22-man squad that would come to 32m per player which isn't bad. If you mean only starting 11 then yeah that's a lot of money.
Think most of the squad either cost >50m or <20m.

Last edited:
Roy Keane was roaring at fellas about passing forwards 30 years ago.

Just because there are new labels on things, doesn’t make them new ideas.

Rooney named Keane as the best passer of the ball to him.
Keane was very good at long passes later in his career.
But it was mostly Scholes and Rio who played long - they were best in the world for their position at it for a while.

When that works, however there are plenty games where it doesn't work and he fails to impact the game (which is not a huge criticism, he's 18/19). However when that doesnt work, it's important to be or have a player that can progress the ball from deep by passing. Which we don't if Mainoo and Ugarte play. Whenever Mainoo isn't having his game, we are going to be in trouble.

He made England tick in some games/moments, others not. Would be a ridiculous expectation on him anyway.
Agreed, he is still young. Maybe this is an area of his game he will develop.

In addition to Casemiro, we have progressive passers in the backline: Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro. I‘m hoping Collyer can develop to do it too.

Bruno can drop deep as well, especially when Casemiro is not playing.

Agreed, he is still young. Maybe this is an area of his game he will develop.

In addition to Casemiro, we have progressive passers in the backline: Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro. I‘m hoping Collyer can develop to do it too.

Bruno can drop deep as well, especially when Casemiro is not playing.

Yeah you do forget sometimes that he's only turned 23 a few months ago, so hopefully there is plenty of time for our coaches to develop the forward passing aspect of his game more

I was initially apprehensive about the €60m tag but i've changed my mind. We really really need to do this deal. Whatever it takes.
Just think of all the overpaid dross we have signed and can't get rid of.

This deal needs to be for a fair price and fair wage.

You would think lessons would be learnt by now.

So your saying we need to switch to Lees-Melou?

Don't think Mainoo and Collyer are progressive passers at all. Bruno is, Mount kinda but not good enough. Casemiro is more of a progressive passer than Mainoo, Collyer and Mount I'd say.

An Ugarte/Mainoo combo, would make me a bit unsure.
Mainoo is far from a progressive passer, and is neither a high-volume passer. He has excellent technical ability, and is very young so there is a good chance that he will become a great passing midfielder, but right now he is just a very good prospect with immense potential who mostly keeps it very simple (backwards or sideway passing). He has the tools to become very good at it though, and has high dribbling abilities that most good passing midfielders lack. But Bruno is the only progressive passer we have and we do not have a single high volume passer in our team (the likes of Carrick and Scholes were both progressive and high volume).

I am afraid that a midfield of Mainoo-Ugarte loses the midfield battle against any half decent team, and even Casemiro who is far from a great passer is miles better at passing than both. Someone like peak Carrick or Alonso would have been perfect for us, and perfect for Mainoo.

Yeah you do forget sometimes that he's only turned 23 a few months ago, so hopefully there is plenty of time for our coaches to develop the forward passing aspect of his game more
Mainoo is 19. I guess you could hope th same can be done to some degree with Ugarte.

Mainoo is far from a progressive passer, and is neither a high-volume passer. He has excellent technical ability, and is very young so there is a good chance that he will become a great passing midfielder, but right now he is just a very good prospect with immense potential who mostly keeps it very simple (backwards or sideway passing). He has the tools to become very good at it though, and has high dribbling abilities that most good passing midfielders lack. But Bruno is the only progressive passer we have and we do not have a single high volume passer in our team (the likes of Carrick and Scholes were both progressive and high volume).

I am afraid that a midfield of Mainoo-Ugarte loses the midfield battle against any half decent team, and even Casemiro who is far from a great passer is miles better at passing than both. Someone like peak Carrick or Alonso would have been perfect for us, and perfect for Mainoo.
Your argument would be correct if we aren't playing progressive passers in centre back. That means having a dogged defender and simple passer in Ugarte looks much better next to Mainoo.

If we have to play Maguire and Evans then absolutely the 6 should be an incredible passer and be prepared to take on most of our possession.

Your argument would be correct if we aren't playing progressive passers in centre back. That means having a dogged defender and simple passer in Ugarte looks much better next to Mainoo.

If we have to play Maguire and Evans then absolutely the 6 should be an incredible passer and be prepared to take on most of our possession.

Yeah I agree, when Martinez plays he effectively provides that progressive passing from deep. Hopefully Yoro and De Ligt can as well. When your CBs are very comfortable on the ball and in passing then you can get away with 2 not so great at progressive passing midfielders. The issue comes when we lose Martinez to injury.

Why do we need a "high volume passer" when we don't play possession based football?

Other than Pogba and Scholes before him what other progressive passes have we had ? (Carrick as good as he was, wasn't a progressive passer unless I'm misunderstanding how people on here think the term applies).

It does seem on these forums that there is a mix of opinions about our midfield that can be split into two camps, one is about a DLP who is a high volume progressive passer.

The other camp is about having a solid, industrious defensive midfielder who will shore up our porous midfield and leave the progressive passing to Bruno and out two centrebacks Martinez and de Ligt who are very good at it.

Thens there's what the club actually wants.

Why do we need a "high volume passer" when we don't play possession based football?

Other than Pogba and Scholes before him what other progressive passes have we had ? (Carrick as good as he was, wasn't a progressive passer unless I'm misunderstanding how people on here think the term applies).

It does seem on these forums that there is a mix of opinions about our midfield that can be split into two camps, one is about a DLP who is a high volume progressive passer.

The other camp is about having a solid, industrious defensive midfielder who will shore up our porous midfield and leave the progressive passing to Bruno and out two centrebacks Martinez and de Ligt who are very good at it.

Thens there's what the club actually wants.
The truth is that people don't really know or understand what they are demanding. We play a variation of a 433 or a 4231, the other midfield spots are locked because they are occupied by our Captain and generational talent, the other would be too if Casemiro got his 22/23 groove back. Without Casemiro we lack the physicality to win the ball back.

This, imo, is the thing that holds us back as we know Martinez can pass the ball around from deep and Bruno does his Bruno things which aren't always easy on the eye but effective if you have a goalscorer in the side. A DLP without the requisite physicality, and they usually don't, would be very exposed in such a midfield and would expose the team. I don't think even Rodri can anchor Mainoo and Bruno in an ETH midfield.

Hope we get this done. I’ve been moaning for years about not signing great passers in midfield but right now we need a DM to have any chance of top 4 and this guy seems like the best available option. Even if he doesn’t end up as the main number 6 to help take us to the top, he looks like he’d be a solid addition to the squad.

Ugarte isnt just about intensity and fighting spirit, his abilities on the ball are very underrated. Hes the kind of player who could take our midfield to the next level, bringing a balance we have been missing for years. This is the signing United must make.

Ugarte isnt just about intensity and fighting spirit, his abilities on the ball are very underrated. Hes the kind of player who could take our midfield to the next level, bringing a balance we have been missing for years. This is the signing United must make.
Totally agree! I tend to think if Roy Keane was currently playing for Forest and we were linked with him, there would be similar comments to those we’ve seen on this thread!

What's his physicality like? We do need some steel in our midfield. Mainoo and Bruno are kinda lightweight.

Very confident in this deal

Done for Brighton or scousers if you had to make a prediction on it, usually when a player is left out of squad it gets done within a few days. I am hoping the exact same thing happens here

Last edited:
PSG couldn't have asked for a better opening 15 minutes to our match as the selling club here.

Casemiro an absolute liability.

Its not about how much he would have won.
It’s about his development as a player.

Who could predict maybe Madrid would have ruined him we’ve seen some huge talents disappear into nothingness at big teams.

My point was he went into PSG as a potential world class young gun and came out as a matured certified world beater.
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. PSG didn't do jack shit for his development, he would have reached much higher levels at a better league, in my opinion. Any progress he has had is not thanks to PSG, but despite them, and he would have been even better had he spent time in a better league / better club. He always had natural talent, without PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.