Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on what you define as being a progressive passer. Mainoo and Mount definitely progress the ball.

Casemiro plays more long progressive passes but also gives it away a lot.

The jury is out on Collyer.
They progress the ball a lot through progressive runs, which isn't very sustainable. Progressive runs and quick interplay, but you need a player who can pass the ball from deep. Our succesfull teams always had at least one midfielder capable of doing that from deep, the likes of Keane, Scholes, Carrick. Even Pogba was instrumental in that for us.

Mainoo was in the bottom percentiles of progressive passing previous season, so is Ugarte. Mainoo bottom 9, Ugarte bottom 28 and the same for Mount.

The more I see of him should be an indication it's more than 2 minutes but you're right, we should close the forums and not comment on anything the experts do.
No, fans often know more than pundits (not sure about knowing more about recruiters) but I have no way of knowing if you watched Ugarte's every game, you were commenting on a clip

Either way, you are absolutely free to have an opinion, just like we are to disagree with it

cheers

I think he has looked limited at PSG because that is the way the managers there have asked him to play. I think he is very capable of playing more expansively with the ball if he is asked to.
I don't think it's because of that. Zaire-Emery from the same team looked way more expansive playing the same number of minutes. I think it's just that because of the emergence of Zaire-Emery they are happy to let Ugarte go. He has a lot more quality on the ball and is basically their own Mainoo.

I don't think Enrique is the kind of manager to ask his midfielders to limit their play. Emery, Ruiz, Vitinha all are better on the ball than Ugarte and they added Neves to the mix as well.

Roy Keane was roaring at fellas about passing forwards 30 years ago.

Just because there are new labels on things, doesn’t make them new ideas.

Na Neves is class
Maybe a future Ballon d’Or winner bit far fetched but he’s got amazing potential
Maybe. I admit I only have seen him at euros and Euros are not great indicator, but what I saw was way more underwhelming than the hype

If he really is that good, he is stupid to join a shit club like PSG, in my opinion. When was the last time anybody joined PSG and became world class?

Progressive passers we have: Bruno, Mainoo, Mount and probably Collyer.
Look I love our players but both Mainoo and Collyer have yet to show they are good progressive passers. Collyer mostly passed it backwards during the pre-season and Mainoo prefers to dribble more and lay off a simple pass.

If he really is that good, he is stupid to join a shit club like PSG, in my opinion. When was the last time anybody joined PSG and became world class?

Mbappe’s development has been solid.

When was the last time a promising youngster joined us and become world class?

There are close to none big teams who can are absolute certainty when it comes to nurturing talent.

There are close to none big teams who can are absolute certainty when it comes to nurturing talent.
Real Madrid, City would be best I'd say. Real Madrid by far.

Thank God we have professional scouts, data, and highly experienced director of football and technical director making decisions, rather than some fan who just watched 2 minute clips online
And is probably why they are not willing to pay what PSG are asking as they know he isn't worth that much.

Real Madrid, City would be best I'd say. Real Madrid by far.

Real’s midfield is stacked and on lock for years.
City maybe yeah
But PSG isn’t a ridiculous choice

Mbappe joined as a 18 year old and became arguably the best player in the world.

Real’s midfield is stacked and on lock for years.
City maybe yeah
But PSG isn’t a ridiculous choice

Mbappe joined as a 18 year old and became arguably the best player in the world.
I feel like PSG have wasted a lot of promising players. But so have we.

If they can get the best out of their midfield, Neves - Waire-Zemery - Vitinha, they might have a midfield for the ages though.

With Dembele/Barcola/Doue for the wings, and Kolo Muani/Ramos as strikers they should be able to do more with a balanced team.

Real Madrid in recent years: Militao, Mendy, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Bellingham, Rodrygo, Vinicius. Crazy how their young signings have worked out for them.

Baffling transfer tactics from PSG, they want to keep a high price but at the same time show that he isn't part of their plans at all and want to get rid

Real Madrid in recent years: Militao, Mendy, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Bellingham, Rodrygo, Vinicius. Crazy how their young signings have worked out for them.
Real’s transformation needs to be studied.
They have assembled an amazing squad, without spending outlandish sums which could potentially dominate Europe for years.

I feel like PSG have wasted a lot of promising players. But so have we.

I feel like we tend to overrate our young players a lot, that’s what causes the disappointment later.

Rashford for example he had amazing potential but I never saw enough to categorise as a future best in his position type player.

Maybe I’m falling into the same trap :lol:
but KM genuinely looks like he can achieve that status, never saw that level of talent with Rashford.

Look I love our players but both Mainoo and Collyer have yet to show they are good progressive passers. Collyer mostly passed it backwards during the pre-season and Mainoo prefers to dribble more and lay off a simple pass.
Mainoo definitely isn‘t a big progressive passer, but progresses the ball nonetheless with his intelligent dribbling and passing. I‘m not on board with identifying this as a problem.

He was making the England team tick ffs.

This one will happen in the final week of the window (maybe even on deadline day). Our first XI is strong enough to handle the delay (unless Casemiro gets injured). Hopefully this gets concluded for a good price. INEOS did well with the negotiations for De Ligt and Mazraoui.

Mainoo definitely isn‘t a big progressive passer, but progresses the ball nonetheless with his intelligent dribbling and passing. I‘m not on board with identifying this as a problem.

When that works, however there are plenty games where it doesn't work and he fails to impact the game (which is not a huge criticism, he's 18/19). However when that doesnt work, it's important to be or have a player that can progress the ball from deep by passing. Which we don't if Mainoo and Ugarte play. Whenever Mainoo isn't having his game, we are going to be in trouble.

He made England tick in some games/moments, others not. Would be a ridiculous expectation on him anyway.

Real’s transformation needs to be studied.
They have assembled an amazing squad, without spending outlandish sums which could potentially dominate Europe for years.

Madrids current squad cost them in the ballpark of €700m in transfer fees, and that’s without counting the massive signing on fees paid to “free transfers” like Mbappe, Rudiger and Alaba.

I don't have a problem with Mainoo. It's just the assertion that he is a progressive passer is wrong as he hasn't shown that. He might do as he has a lot of quality but he hasn't yet anyways.

Time Utd put in a final bid for Ugarte and gave PSG 24 hours to respond. No response and they walk away. The guy has not played a lot last season and is being treated as a Pariah but I am not sure that he is that good. We should move on or, once again, we will end up with NO good DMF player for another half season at least.

You are seriously comparing playing in premier league to playing in french farmer's league?

Mbappe would have been significantly better and would have won multiple Champions Leagues had he joined Real Madrid instead of PSG, years ago

Tbf Mbappe was already world class when PSG signed him from Monaco. He had 15 goals and 7 assists in less than 1500 mins at just 17.

When that works, however there are plenty games where it doesn't work and he fails to impact the game (which is not a huge criticism, he's 18/19). However when that doesnt work, it's important to be or have a player that can progress the ball from deep by passing. Which we don't if Mainoo and Ugarte play. Whenever Mainoo isn't having his game, we are going to be in trouble.

He made England tick in some games/moments, others not. Would be a ridiculous expectation on him anyway.
Except Onana, Martinez and De Ligt (and even Yoro seemed decent) can both progress the ball forward as well. I would love a progressive 6, but if Mainoo is off his game we will still have progressive passers just behind. The CB can step up and pass out if needed.

Except Onana, Martinez and De Ligt (and even Yoro seemed decent) can both progress the ball forward as well. I would love a progressive 6, but if Mainoo is off his game we will still have progressive passers just behind. The CB can step up and pass out if needed.
True, it will really be a gamechanger if we can have at least two out of Martinez/De Ligt/Yoro fit.

Hopefully it'd be enough, worried it might not be.

Baffling transfer tactics from PSG, they want to keep a high price but at the same time show that he isn't part of their plans at all and want to get rid
They probably want to lure in other teams to bid more.

Bit of a bummer if we just end up covering the costs for PSGs Joao Neves deal instead of signing him ourselves

Still feels like he is splitting the fanbase, you would think being left out of squad it gets done quick but looks like we need to sell. I agree with others who say this probably goes to the last days. He might be in place for scousers at end of the month but hinges on sales. I think we can safely say that loan option was never really on the table.

You are seriously comparing playing in premier league to playing in french farmer's league?

Mbappe would have been significantly better and would have won multiple Champions Leagues had he joined Real Madrid instead of PSG, years ago

Its not about how much he would have won.
It’s about his development as a player.

Who could predict maybe Madrid would have ruined him we’ve seen some huge talents disappear into nothingness at big teams.

My point was he went into PSG as a potential world class young gun and came out as a matured certified world beater.

Tbf Mbappe was already world class when PSG signed him from Monaco. He had 15 goals and 7 assists in less than 1500 mins at just 17.

Yeah Mbappe at 17 was crazy could definitely be classed as an outlier

Status
Not open for further replies.