Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds a bit like a headless chicken to me.
The number one problem with our midfielders (bar Mainoo) is they don't complete their passes at a high rate and give the ball away almost at will. This guy does not. And on top of that he wins the ball back better than just about any midfielder on the planet. Opposite of a headless chicken to me.

So much depends on us getting this guy now.

We've done our best to fix our back line, with defenders who can play a high line, implement a press and contribute more in possession. We now need this guy to shore up our CDM.

We have three midfielders in Erikson, Mount and Hannibal who have all looked poor in our midfield and most would want rid of them.

However in a high press with someone as strong as Ugarte there I reckon they could fulfil a useful squad roles as alternate 8s and 10s. Maybe not all of them but some of them.

We're also likely to see better product from Anthony with s stronger back line, and with a RB he has played significant minutes with elsewhere but that's really for another thread.

What? Pfft! Because muppets gonna muppet. Duh!

INEOS seem pretty poor at creating drawn out sagas, so we need to create our own out of nothing at all. :drool:
I don’t get it though, the guy is injured. His foot was literally pointing backwards. I wouldn’t be spending 50p on him never mind millions, till he’s proven he’s fixed and over it. And I say that as one of the train conductors from the first year

I don’t get it though, the guy is injured. His foot was literally pointing backwards. I wouldn’t be spending 50p on him never mind millions, till he’s proven he’s fixed and over it. And I say that as one of the train conductors from the first year
I don't even care about FDJ to be honest and never properly watched him enough to rate him. I do emember Super Fred taking him to the cleaners though (obviously just over 2 games). Anyways, point is that's not what this is about. It's basically about needed a hugely dramatic "muppetting" project to unite us all (whether it has any chance of succeeding or not :lol:)

The number one problem with our midfielders (bar Mainoo) is they don't complete their passes at a high rate and give the ball away almost at will. This guy does not. And on top of that he wins the ball back better than just about any midfielder on the planet. Opposite of a headless chicken to me.
Summed up well. We just can't keep the ball which put huge pressure on a mediocre backline . It was so frustrating to watch last season

I agree with this mostly. He'll probably end up being a squad player in the long run, so the hesitations over putting over 50M for him. Also same guy did a tactical profile on him which is a good read:

We have been over this, but this is a nice chart showing Ugarte is good at keeping possession in addition to being a bulldawg terrier. We need both those things.

Progressive passers we have: Bruno, Mainoo, Mount and probably Collyer.

Ugarte could be a starter for us for many years. Destroyers like him are underrated. He is more secure on the ball than Fred, a massive upgrade on him.

I‘m reminded of Marten de Roon at Atalanta, who is essential for them.

So to summarise this:

- He's desperate to come here
- PSG don't want him despite signing him a year ago
- He's not been included in their first match-day squad and doesn't appear to be in their plans for the season.

And yet they are still trying to recoup their entire fee. This is one of the weakest bargaining positions I've seen in a while.

Please show me something even slightly impressive with his passing because what I have seen is less than bang average?
You must be very hard to impress if you think whopping pass completion rate of 91.2% is "average"

I think a deal for him could be the difference between CL and EL qualification for you.

So to summarise this:

- He's not been included in their first match-day squad and doesn't appear to be in their plans for the season.

And yet they are still trying to recoup their entire fee. This is one of the weakest bargaining positions I've seen in a while.
This is exactly what happened when we sold them di Maria to be fair.

Interesting thread:

The guy is not keen on Ugarte and states the reasons why. I tend to agree about Ugarte always seeming like he's chasing players from being. Guess we'll see.

Manuel Uruguay from Ugarte will be rocking up in Manchester soon enough.

I reckon the supposed Sancho interest is just a tactic from PSG. They’re not keen to commit to linking the players in a deal but they’re basically trying to hint that if United pay what they want, they will come in for him.

So to summarise this:

Let me fix that list for you:
- He is passionate to join United and neither thinks he is too good for us, like certain Frenkie did, nor is a money merchant like certain Rabiot
- PSG don't want him because they just bought Joao Neves who they delusionally think is next Ballon d'Or winner. Also they think being "just" a defensive monster is limited skill and not enough, and they want a versatile CDM, while DMF is exactly what we want since we have Mainoo and Bruno for versatility
- He is close to being sold and they are not including him in the squad to not get him injured, meaning negotiations are serious and this is not just some eye-candy story to distract fans

They are trying to recoup entire fee because they know he is good player, but United now have cold-blooded negotiators who have not let Bayern overcharge us and won't let PSG either

Let me fix that list for you:
- He is passionate to join United and neither thinks he is too good for us, like certain Frenkie did, nor is a money merchant like certain Rabiot
- PSG don't want him because they just bought Joao Neves who they delusionally think is next Ballon d'Or winner. Also they think being "just" a defensive monster is limited skill and not enough, and they want a versatile CDM, while DMF is exactly what we want since we have Mainoo and Bruno for versatility
- He is close to being sold and they are not including him in the squad to not get him injured, meaning negotiations are serious and this is not just some eye-candy story to distract fans
I meant all the things I said in a positive way for Utd. I was only criticising PSG's audacious attempt to demand the full fee they paid.

Interesting thread:

The guy is not keen on Ugarte and states the reasons why. I tend to agree about Ugarte always seeming like he's chasing players from being. Guess we'll see.

The more I see of him, the less I'm impressed. I'm not sure his defensive abilities will translate well to the PL.

I meant all the things I said in a positive way for Utd. I was only criticising PSG's audacious attempt to demand the full fee they paid.
ah ok, fair enough! :)

So to summarise this:

Yes, but oil club.

Interesting thread:

Watching this video, it doesn't really reflect negatively on him for me; while he may not have won the ball in too many of the duels, there are plenty that he disrupts the opposition player enough to allow a teammate to win the ball, and others where he makes sure they don't break through by taking the foul - that's the kind of cynicism we were missing a lot last season.

Interesting thread:

These twitter tacticos don't have a clue.

The more I see of him, the less I'm impressed. I'm not sure his defensive abilities will translate well to the PL.
Thank God we have professional scouts, data, and highly experienced director of football and technical director making decisions, rather than some fan who just watched 2 minute clips online

We have been over this, but this is a nice chart showing Ugarte is good at keeping possession in addition to being a bulldawg terrier. We need both those things.

Progressive passers we have: Bruno, Mainoo, Mount and probably Collyer.

Ugarte could be a starter for us for many years. Destroyers like him are underrated. He is more secure on the ball than Fred, a massive upgrade on him.

I‘m reminded of Marten de Roon at Atalanta, who is essential for them.
Don't think Mainoo and Collyer are progressive passers at all. Bruno is, Mount kinda but not good enough. Casemiro is more of a progressive passer than Mainoo, Collyer and Mount I'd say.

An Ugarte/Mainoo combo, would make me a bit unsure.

Thank God we have professional scouts, data, and highly experienced director of football and technical director making decisions, rather than some fan who just watched 2 minute clips online

The more I see of him should be an indication it's more than 2 minutes but you're right, we should close the forums and not comment on anything the experts do.

The more I see of him, the more I really want us to sign him. He will be an amazing midfield partner for Mainoo, he ia aggressive, constantly pressing, passing looks okay, does some great south american shithousing, just what we need.

Don't think Mainoo and Collyer are progressive passers at all. Bruno is, Mount kinda but not good enough. Casemiro is more of a progressive passer than Mainoo, Collyer and Mount I'd say.

An Ugarte/Mainoo combo, would make me a bit unsure.
I think it depends on what you define as being a progressive passer. Mainoo and Mount definitely progress the ball.

Casemiro plays more long progressive passes but also gives it away a lot.

The jury is out on Collyer.

"Bounce passer for the up back through combination."

Game's gone.
Football twitter fans go out of their way to just make up these weird convoluted phrases to describe players. Gives them a sense of importance.

Reading all these posts about progressive passes makes me want to head to the dentist and get some teeth taken out

Football twitter fans go out of their way to just make up these weird convoluted phrases to describe players. Gives them a sense of importance.
Smacks of

“I don’t understand football from a playing perspective, as I’ve never stepped onto a pitch. But if I parrot some bollix what the analysts on telly spout it will make me sound credible”

Bleak

I just hope we manage to get him for way lower than the reported 50m asking price, if we're so hellbent on getting him.

I don't think people realize how much we're shooting ourselves in the foot if we pay that much for a player (as well as 120-150k/week probably), who doesn't have a long-term starting or key role in our project. Yes, he raises the floor of the current squad, but there are several 20-30m players as well who can do that.

So to summarise this:

This is the most frustrating thing about the transfer window.

It seems obvious this will get sorted, at the end of the window the clubs must look back and think why did we waste months of everyone's time only to agree a deal that could have been agreed on day 1 of negotiations.

PSG don't want him because they just bought Joao Neves who they delusionally think is next Ballon d'Or winner

Na Neves is class
Maybe a future Ballon d’Or winner bit far fetched but he’s got amazing potential

Status
Not open for further replies.