Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming no recent updates in the last few days, and the growth of this thread is just pages and pages of the same tired debate between people who think he’s the second coming of Jesus and others who think he’s overrated, doesn’t fit with Mainoo, or want a hipster DM signing from France.

Oh, and armchair analysis of PSR devoid of any actual facts.
I don't think Gabriel Jesus is the right profile for our midfield but I'm sure someone will find some great goals and progressive passing stats somewhere

Schneiderlin was a limited footballer, but decent ball winner, a screen in front of the back four. He lasted a season.

————————

The more I think about this transfer and our alternatives (Berge/Amrabat) the more I think we should just try and muddle through, and wait to see what’s available in January or next summer.

We’ve already acknowledged it’s not going to be an instant fix, why grasp at it with mediocre solutions like this or the alternatives.
It all has to do with the system. Schneiderlin was a good player in the wrong system and just lost all his confidence.

Ugarte is a much better athlete and stronger at winning the ball back. He will used to get after players, instead of sitting in the pocket between the midfield and defence.

I really hope

1. we get Ugarte since he seems far better than Amrabat and Berge, our only other targets, reportedly, and we desperately need a good, young DMF

2. He proves Enrique and PSG wrong for not rating him

3. Joao Neves fails to become the star PSG thinks he is, just so these prats can shit their pants one more time. I didn't see anything amazing about him at Euros, and better players have disappeared after joining the Parisian Shit Gang

I really hope

1. we get Ugarte since he seems far better than Amrabat and Berge, our only other targets, reportedly, and we desperately need a good, young DMF

3. Joao Neves fails to become the star PSG thinks he is, just so these prats can shit their pants one more time. I didn't see anything amazing about him at Euros, and better players have disappeared after joining the Parisian Shit Gang

We're United we will get the best for the position.

We arent getting a shit player, United will get Ugarte in the next 2 weeks no doubt. We're waiting for McT to leave.

We're United we will get the best for the position.

We arent getting a shit player, United will get Ugarte in the next 2 weeks no doubt. We're waiting for McT to leave.

Yeah I think earliest he could play is scousers, would love to think we could get it done for Brighton but can't see that happening

I really hope

Please show me something even slightly impressive with his passing because what I have seen is less than bang average?

Him against Arsenal

I think he has looked limited at PSG because that is the way the managers there have asked him to play. I think he is very capable of playing more expansively with the ball if he is asked to.

PSG playing away vs Le Havre today... Anyone know anything about their travelling squad? Otherwise we'll see if he's in the squad or playing tonight

Losing confidence this one will get done, looks like we are struggling to find the funds. Think us not being able to offload Mctominay and/or Casemiro has made it difficult to justify signing another midfielder.

Losing confidence this one will get done, looks like we are struggling to find the funds. Think us not being able to offload Mctominay and/or Casemiro has made it difficult to justify signing another midfielder.
I don't think we had plans to let Casemiro go, unless a significant offer came through. But yes, we're likely at the stage where further signings will depend on our ability to offload McTominay and Sancho first

Napoli look keen for McTominay. Di Marzio said Conte made him priority for them but they need to wait for Osimhen.

Even if McT doesn't go, I still think Ugarte comes. It's too advanced that he's leaving and he's very intent in joining us.

The most encouraging thing I saw in that compilation is that he is willing to pass forward if the opportunity presents itself. The lack of willingness/courage to take risk is my biggest problem with McT and I'm glad to see Ugarte is different in that regard. Really hope this deal goes through.

This is the signing I want the most. This will make us look and play so differently. I hope we can get it over the line

I am assuming no recent updates in the last few days, and the growth of this thread is just pages and pages of the same tired debate between people who think he’s the second coming of Jesus and others who think he’s overrated, doesn’t fit with Mainoo, or want a hipster DM signing from France.

I would say you at least got out of your armchair for that analysis, at least a ramble down the pub.

I think this move totally hinges on the work of Mendes to make a deal between us who don't want to pay the asking price and PSG who don't want to budge on their asking price.

The discussion is going I think because there is an eagerness to sign a midfielder, but the news updates are suggesting that the club are doing exactly what fans have wanted for years by standing their ground and not prepared to pay above their valuation.

I agree with this mostly. He'll probably end up being a squad player in the long run, so the hesitations over putting over 50M for him. Also same guy did a tactical profile on him which is a good read:

I agree with this mostly. He'll probably end up being a squad player in the long run, so the hesitations over putting over 50M for him. Also same guy did a tactical profile on him which is a good read:

This is why Martinez is so important to the team. Whilst Mainoo is good at progressing the ball up field through his runs/dribbling, I wouldn't say his progressive passing is his strongest feature (although it is good and hopefully will be improved as he gets older). If you play an Ugarte next to him then our progression through the midfield via passing will not be our strong point. However, Martinez helps to alleviate that as when he is in the team he has the ability to make progressive passes through the line. Its also why having an able deputy to Martinez is just as important as getting another midfielder.

This is why Martinez is so important to the team. Whilst Mainoo is good at progressing the ball up field through his runs/dribbling, I wouldn't say his progressive passing is his strongest feature (although it is good and hopefully will be improved as he gets older). If you play an Ugarte next to him then our progression through the midfield via passing will not be our strong point. However, Martinez helps to alleviate that as when he is in the team he has the ability to make progressive passes through the line. Its also why having an able deputy to Martinez is just as important as getting another midfielder.

The problem starts when Martinez is not available. Neither De Ligt or Yoro are super progressive passers, although good on the ball. Hopefully being surrounded by good ball players like Shaw(?), Dalot and Mazraoui will help.

What’s the chances of a “Here we Go” before kick off….it would be nice.
Nearly zero. There has to be some reports of progress usually before a proper confirmation. It seems to be a bit quiet for that right now.

I’d be more confident if this was a club that needed the money.

Sounds a bit like a headless chicken to me.

Isn't the 'future non-starter' line referring to his PSG status?

Last edited:
The problem starts when Martinez is not available. Neither De Ligt or Yoro are super progressive passers, although good on the ball. Hopefully being surrounded by good ball players like Shaw(?), Dalot and Mazraoui will help.
From the small sample size we got when Yoro played, I feel he's going to grow into a very good progressive passer. We were told when we signed him his passing isn't all that, he showed different in the game he played.

Isn't the 'future non-starter' line is referring to his PSG status?

I think they mean that in the long run (i.e. in a few seasons' time) we might want to replace Ugarte in the starting eleven and have him just be a squad option. As such you don't want to pay too much for a player who isn't guaranteed to be central to your team in the long run, even if they immediately improve it now.

He's a good player but he's not a Rodri or a Rice where you plan on him being a nailed on starter in your team for the guts of a decade when you buy him. And that should be reflected in how you value him.

Status
Not open for further replies.