Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how a 20 year old who has played 15 Premier League games is a must sign to the extent literally anyone else is a "compromise". @Grand Vizier 's posts on the previous page echo my thoughts.

The hype around Wharton is ludicrous.
I think the poster could have articulated better but he could mean he has tremendous potential and sometimes you have to take a punt on that potential and pay less rather than go for him after he has a good season and his price rising up above £60-70m?

Sounds like Ugarte brings intensity, unlike our other midfielders, and more like Bruno and Garnacho. Buzzes around like a blue-arsed fly. We need more of that.

Ugarte/Casemiro/Mainoo/Eriksen for two positions is a great mix of skillsets. Then upgrade Eriksen next summer for a young, progressive passer.

Ugarte is not really a #6 either, if by #6 we mean a single pivot who sits and holds position at the base of midfield. He's an agressive, ball-winning midfielder, who will chase and harry opposition players. His midfield partner (presumably Mainoo) will need to drop in whenfor Ugarte goes chasing the ball, or we'd leave the CBs exposed. That's not to say that I don't want Urgate or don't think he'd be effective - I actually think he'd be quite a good fit with Mainoo in a double pivot and would be a decent signing.
He's not completely ill disciplined positionally. I watched him against Arsenal for Sporting and he was aggressive in winning the ball, but he was still first receiver of the ball off the CBs. He will more often than not be in that 6 position when he gets the ball, but covering a shit tonne of ground without it.

Really annoying that he couldn't have been done amd ready for Fulham. I think (hope) we will still get him as PSG probably want rid; however even if we were to sign him tomorrow it will take a few games to get up to speed. With Liverpool 3rd game it would be only after international break that he is fully integrated.
I guess I need to trust in INEOS.

If Ugarte is to replace Casemiro in the team, he needs to replace the attributes Casemiro brings. Forget goalscoring(Casemiro is elite from a DM perspective, not realistic to expect), although it will be a big miss. Casemiro regularly plays probing passes/long balls from deep, which is something we need in midfield if the partner is Mainoo(less if its someone like Eriksen). Its a clear positive, dunno why you're saying "nobody's asking him to"...its more like its just not his skillset. Someone like Carrick would be doing the same. But with better pass accuracy ofcourse.

Clearances/blocks are not garbage stats, although not that important either. Casemiro is also way better aerially, which is vital.

Ugarte clearly is elite in some aspects(ball winning, aggressive, ball retainer), but very very lacking in others. Now perhaps that can work in a well balanced team, where other players cover up those deficiencies. I'm just think buying a player who is clearly not well rounded and limited, can be something we can come to regret. I'd rather get a jack of all trades, than someone with one really good skill and lacking in other areas(see AWB).

Wouldnt be surprised if in a years time the very people clamouring for him will be will to throw him to the curb and looking for a starting quality DM again. Seen it time and time again. I'm open to Ugarte, because it looks like its either him or Sander fecking Berge, but that's more down to United's recruitment targets, rather than approving the player.

For 35M and 120k/week salary, I'm okay with this signing. But not for 50M+ and for 200K/week.
There’s more than one way to set up a midfield. What we have lacked from our CDM the most is the ability to win the ball back and screen the defense. We have holywood passers in other players, we have lacked a consistent ball winner in the midfield fir years, apart from those 15 good games by Casemiro 1,5 year ago.

No one realised Casemiro got that passing range until he came to us because his role at Madrid was just to screen the defence.

Like that once Ugarte comes here, we could see the other side of his game but that would be only a bonus as we have other players for that,
what we need at the moment is his defensive ability which is top class.
I think this is a very good point -- in fact, Casemiro's FBref passing looked very similar to Ugarte's before he joined.

Obvious caveat that he had Kroos and Modric to defer to, but it does show how different sides have different needs from a player.

Ugarte is not really a #6 either, if by #6 we mean a single pivot who sits and holds position at the base of midfield. He's an agressive, ball-winning midfielder, who will chase and harry opposition players. His midfield partner (presumably Mainoo) will need to drop in when Ugarte goes chasing the ball, or we'd leave the CBs exposed. That's not to say that I don't want Urgate or don't think he'd be effective - I actually think he'd be quite a good fit with Mainoo in a double pivot and would be a decent signing.

Who is that lone 6 we could realistically sign?

Ugarte is not really a #6 either, if by #6 we mean a single pivot who sits and holds position at the base of midfield. He's an agressive, ball-winning midfielder, who will chase and harry opposition players. His midfield partner (presumably Mainoo) will need to drop in when Ugarte goes chasing the ball, or we'd leave the CBs exposed. That's not to say that I don't want Urgate or don't think he'd be effective - I actually think he'd be quite a good fit with Mainoo in a double pivot and would be a decent signing.
Ugarte will make a foul and we won‘t have to run back to defend. Last season we didn‘t make these smart fouls.

I think the poster could have articulated better but he could mean he has tremendous potential and sometimes you have to take a punt on that potential and pay less rather than go for him after he has a good season and his price rising up above £60-70m?

he'd probably already be around that much

Palace paid 22m and now he's started great in the PL and got in the England squad

I'd be amazed if they let him go for less than 50, put it that way

Ugarte is not really a #6 either, if by #6 we mean a single pivot who sits and holds position at the base of midfield. He's an aggressive, ball-winning midfielder, who will chase and harry opposition players. His midfield partner (presumably Mainoo) will need to drop in when Ugarte goes chasing the ball, or we'd leave the CBs exposed. That's not to say that I don't want Ugarte or don't think he'd be effective - I actually think he'd be quite a good fit with Mainoo in a double pivot and would be a decent signing.
Safe to say we will consistently play a higher line this season

Safe to say we will consistently play a higher line this season

I certainly hope so. The ludicrous high press, low block tactical approach last season completely failed and needs to be torn up and thrown away. We moved to a mid block for the last few games of the season and results and performances certainly improved.

Romano just retweeted his post from the other day about Ugarte. This summer when he's retweeted, the deal normally gets done within 24 hours.

There’s more than one way to set up a midfield.
Many would do well to read this line regularly.

There is no perfect CM out there. They all have different attributes, and getting the best balance for your team gives you the best chance of positive outcomes.

Reducing the game to stats or attributes is a fast road to disillusion.

Romano just retweeted his post from the other day about Ugarte. This summer when he's retweeted, the deal normally gets done within 24 hours.
There's some less reliable sources making claims about a deal being on the verge over the next couple of days after a new bid but I'm waiting for other sources

Everyone is, but Fabrizio brings the goods and deserves more respect. It's 2024, there are basically two people who get transfer information, Fab is one of them, and still gets shit from half the football world.
I would be fully behind Fab if he didn't do 1000 videos saying nothing. He's behind Ornstein when it comes the Premier League for what it's worth.

I would be fully behind Fab if he didn't do 1000 videos saying nothing. He's behind Ornstein when it comes the Premier League for what it's worth.

I really don't understand people's issue with Romano doing his videos etc. He's proven he is legit in regards to transfers or as legit as you can get. He's getting in on the podcast/social media game to widen his brand and make some extra money (I doubt journalism is bringing in the big bucks). Ornstein does the exact same thing with the athletic minus the number of tweets that Romano does. Feels like just a reason to hate on the guy when there are plenty other people where that energy should be directed.

There’s more than one way to set up a midfield. What we have lacked from our CDM the most is the ability to win the ball back and screen the defense. We have holywood passers in other players, we have lacked a consistent ball winner in the midfield fir years, apart from those 15 good games by Casemiro 1,5 year ago.

Schneiderlin was a limited footballer, but decent ball winner, a screen in front of the back four. He lasted a season.

————————

The more I think about this transfer and our alternatives (Berge/Amrabat) the more I think we should just try and muddle through, and wait to see what’s available in January or next summer.

We’ve already acknowledged it’s not going to be an instant fix, why grasp at it with mediocre solutions like this or the alternatives.

Of course he is, but that's not a big deal. So he's behind Ornstein in one league. Fab is ahead in La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga. Infact Fab is pretty much ahead in just about every European league that isn't the Premier League unless it's a transfer that involves a British team.

The standards are a little hypocritical. If Romano doesn't beat Ornstein to a British transfer, he's a a fraud, but if Ornstein doesn't beat Romano to a European transfer it isn't to Ornstein's detriment. Zero criticism.

It's because we're largely EPL consumers that it looks like Ornstein catches everything, but if you're a Bayern, Milan, Auxerre, Marseille, Sevilla, Getafe, etc, fan then you're easily going to get breaks from Romano before Ornstein.

Of course he is, but that's not a big deal. So he's behind Ornstein in one league. Fab is ahead in La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga. Infact Fab is pretty much ahead in just about every European league that isn't the Premier League unless it's a transfer that involves a British team.

The standards are a little hypocritical. If Romano doesn't beat Ornstein to a British transfer, he's a a fraud, but if Ornstein doesn't beat Romano to a European transfer it isn't to Ornstein's detriment. Zero criticism.

It's because we're largely EPL consumers that it looks like Ornstein catches everything, but if you're a Bayern, Milan, Auxerre, Marseille, Sevilla, Getafe, etc, fan then you're easily going to get breaks from Romano before Ornstein.
Correct. And I am a United fan, so I'll await Ornstein and leave Fab to tell us who Rayo Vallecano might be signing in between his 17 videos with United in the title and no new news.

Ugarte/Casemiro/Mainoo/Eriksen for two positions is a great mix of skillsets. Then upgrade Eriksen next summer for a young, progressive passer.
You think Eriksen can do a job this season? Think he'll be useful for cups and Europa. Guess also against weaker opponents at Old Trafford in the league.

Ugarte will make a foul and we won‘t have to run back to defend. Last season we didn‘t make these smart fouls.

To be fair, every time Casemiro makes a foul (and 30% of the times he doesn’t) he gets sent off.

Schneiderlin was a limited footballer, but decent ball winner, a screen in front of the back four. He lasted a season.

————————

The more I think about this transfer and our alternatives (Berge/Amrabat) the more I think we should just try and muddle through, and wait to see what’s available in January or next summer.

We’ve already acknowledged it’s not going to be an instant fix, why grasp at it with mediocre solutions like this or the alternatives.
LVG was an idiot that didn’t know what he was doing, and even despite that Schneiderlin is such a weird pick.

Really annoying that he couldn't have been done amd ready for Fulham. I think (hope) we will still get him as PSG probably want rid; however even if we were to sign him tomorrow it will take a few games to get up to speed. With Liverpool 3rd game it would be only after international break that he is fully integrated.
I guess I need to trust in INEOS.

I don't trust INEOS but I would guess if this is genuinely on the cards, it's dependent on outgoings which haven't happened yet due to FFP.

And the signings we have made would all be above this in terms of urgency/squad depth (Well apart from Yoro but the club were obviously pretty keen on him).

So it's the one deal really where the club has its hands tied in terms of if/when it would happen.

Don't think we can take risks on signing players before offloading because we don't really have players actively happy to leave or who there's any guarantee clubs would pay the required price for.

You think Eriksen can do a job this season? Think he'll be useful for cups and Europa. Guess also against weaker opponents at Old Trafford in the league.
I think he’d be the lesser used of the four but he has abilities on the ball that they don’t. If he stays, I’m sure he’ll have a part to play in certain scenarios. It’s about managing our other midfielders at the right times too.
2 of them cant run for more than 30 mins
Well that’s an exaggeration but yeah, they couldn’t play alongside each other. Casemiro is looking much leaner this season, hopefully his legs have another year left in them. Ugarte would do a lot of the defensive running.
Plus Mount and Collyer
I don’t think Mount should be playing that deep, in fact, I’d rather Bruno deeper than Mount tbh. Collyer, absolutely. He should get introduced gradually, I think he’s ready to play a role

I think he’d be the lesser used of the four but he has abilities on the ball that they don’t. If he stays, I’m sure he’ll have a part to play in certain scenarios. It’s about managing our other midfielders at the right times too.

Well that’s an exaggeration but yeah, they couldn’t play alongside each other. Casemiro is looking much leaner this season, hopefully his legs have another year left in them. Ugarte would do a lot of the defensive running.

I don’t think Mount should be playing that deep, in fact, I’d rather Bruno deeper than Mount tbh. Collyer, absolutely. He should get introduced gradually, I think he’s ready to play a role
Besides watching him in this preseason, I don't really know much about him. What sort of middie do you think he can become? Any players to compare him to? Thanks for any info.

We have spent already €164m in this window.

The last two windows have been
€202m
€243m

Is there room for another 50m signing? Probably

I am assuming no recent updates in the last few days, and the growth of this thread is just pages and pages of the same tired debate between people who think he’s the second coming of Jesus and others who think he’s overrated, doesn’t fit with Mainoo, or want a hipster DM signing from France.

Oh, and armchair analysis of PSR devoid of any actual facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.