Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy negotiation tactic from PSG, forcing Ugarte out but asking for more money?!
Exactly.

I think it's just that Enrique doesn't want him but it's also not forcing their hand, its a weird situation but I think they will accept eventually as they don't want to cause issues to Enrique

Crazy negotiation tactic from PSG, forcing Ugarte out but asking for more money?!
That's probably more Luis Enrique losing patience. By excluding Ugarte he's weakened PSG bargaining position.

Also could be that PSG need to sell to buy any more players (PSR), and Enrique wants the money from Ugarte to buy player X asap.

Surely ugarte would nearly be a 10/10 window
Not quite for me. I'd say it's above average though. Solid 8/10

Near 10/10 we'd still need, after Ugarte, a starting LB, another CM and then two forwards who can both realistically get 20 goals.

The summer (2007?) when we got Hargreaves, Anderson, Nani & Tevez to add to our already title winning squad, including a young Rooney and Ronaldo, will take some beating.

Near 10/10 we'd still need, after Ugarte, a starting LB, another CM and then two forwards who can both realistically get 20 goals.

The summer (2007?) when we got Hargreaves, Anderson, Nani & Tevez to add to our already title winning squad, including a young Rooney and Ronaldo, will take some beating.
But then you’re looking at 8 signings in one summer. Which would be too much, we have so much to do with this squad that we need a few summers to get back up there.

It’s been a brilliant window even if we sign no one else.

What am I reading?

Rodri plays in a double-pivot, like all the time for the last 24 months. Both for Spain and City. There's always someone protecting him in the centre, be it Stones or a midfielder. He's basically an #8 as well at this point. And then you mention Rice, someone who has just had a world class season at Arsenal with half the protection Rodri is provided with.

You realise I wasn't saying Rice wasn't a #6? I was responding to comments that Ugarte needed someone behind him by saying that it feels like every deep lying midfielder needs "someone to play behind him". Fans and pundits during the Euros said that Mainoo couldn't play with Rice, because Rice needed someone behind him.

I don't watch City often, but I watched Spain throughout the Euros. Rodri is Spain's deepest lying midfielder. He sits in front of the defence and protects the back 4. Gets the ball off of them and helps build up play. Fabian Ruiz is given much more freedom to get forward and play beyond the ball. He is ahead of Rodri 95% of the time when Spain have the ball. It's similar to the way we have play with Casemiro and Mainoo. If Rodri isn't a #6 for Spain, then we have no need for a #6, because we don't play with one.

The fact that you say Rodri is basically an #8 sort of proves my point.

This isn't football manager, it's reality. Reality is with PSR and cash flow issues, signing Ugarte would make the window a 10 for incomings. Probably lower for outgoings, say a 7.

What you are talking about maybe happens in FM. Realistic speaking we have addressed three different areas of the pitch that needed addressing, provided we get Ugarte, and that’s pretty much all you can do. We would have signed 5 already if Ugartr goes through and you want another 4 on top of that? Thats dreamland.

Before we know how any of these guys will perform, as close to a 10 you could get in regards to our budget and other factors.

We needed to strengthen our defence drastically, we bought Yoro, De Ligt and Mazraoui
We needed some competition up front, we bought Zirkzee
We needed a defensive midfielder, we bought Ugarte. (Lets assume this happens)

But besides not knowing how any of these guys will perform, just managing to strengthen all the areas we needed to is a major leap forward. As well as not going full ret... full Woodward and spending crazy amounts and giving out massive wages. Especially in this day and age where Solanke costs north of 60 mil

I can see one happening, just because it makes sense, all tweets points to him wanting to come here and having agreed a contract along with the fact that PSG have strengthened their midfield. And if any of these last two tweets have any sort of credibility, it's smells close to done.

Would basically be a 200m window. Zirkzee, Yoro, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Ugarte. It's a lot, but also all are absolutely necessary. Though I'm not sure if we actually sign Ugarte if Casemiro is staying, that's 2 big money players to keep for the same role basically.

Would basically be a 200m window. Zirkzee, Yoro, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Ugarte. It's a lot, but also all are absolutely necessary. Though I'm not sure if we actually sign Ugarte if Casemiro is staying, that's 2 big money players to keep for the same role basically.
We need 2 players for each position. It would be good for Ugarte to learn from Case and he won’t be anywhere the £350k that Case is on.

But then you’re looking at 8 signings in one summer. Which would be too much, we have so much to do with this squad that we need a few summers to get back up there.

It’s been a brilliant window even if we sign no one else.
Of course. My 8/10 says it'd be a brilliant window. And yes we do realistically need a few summers. But this was realistically never going to be a "near 10/10" window either.

This isn't football manager, it's reality. Reality is with PSR and cash flow issues, signing Ugarte would make the window a 10 for incomings. Probably lower for outgoings, say a 7.
What you are talking about maybe happens in FM. Realistic speaking we have addressed three different areas of the pitch that needed addressing, provided we get Ugarte, and that’s pretty much all you can do. We would have signed 5 already if Ugartr goes through and you want another 4 on top of that? Thats dreamland.

I don't disagree with either of you. It's not realistic and was never going to happen. It was only feasible this summer if we got unexpected huge offers for a few of the likes of Sancho, Rashford, Casemiro, Maguire.. Which seemingly haven't come.

I can't call it a near 10/10 window just based on the money we had available. It'd take having money for a club as huge and ambitious as United to have a 10/10 window. Again, which we were never going to have without significant sales.

And maybe for you it is "FM" and "Dreamland" - but without looking I feel like the huge clubs like Madrid, Bayern and Barcelona have occasionally had summers with 7+ signings when they've needed to do it. We finished 8th, so I'd say we need to do it to get back to title challenging.

You realise I wasn't saying Rice wasn't a #6? I was responding to comments that Ugarte needed someone behind him by saying that it feels like every deep lying midfielder needs "someone to play behind him". Fans and pundits during the Euros said that Mainoo couldn't play with Rice, because Rice needed someone behind him.

I don't watch City often, but I watched Spain throughout the Euros. Rodri is Spain's deepest lying midfielder. He sits in front of the defence and protects the back 4. Gets the ball off of them and helps build up play. Fabian Ruiz is given much more freedom to get forward and play beyond the ball. He is ahead of Rodri 95% of the time when Spain have the ball. It's similar to the way we have play with Casemiro and Mainoo. If Rodri isn't a #6 for Spain, then we have no need for a #6, because we don't play with one.

The fact that you say Rodri is basically an #8 sort of proves my point.

No.

"Every defensive midfielder apart from Rodri needs someone behind him"

This is just straight up incorrect and the reason why I responded to you. Rodri has been getting the best player in the world shouts only since Pep decided to put Stones next to him and to protect him. As a double-pivot player Rodri might well be the best #8 in the world right now, but he's actually the player who has benefitted the most by having someone next to him to protect him so that he's freed up from a big chunk of his defensive responsibilities. With Spain he might be the deepest midfielder but he's not anchoring as a lone #6. Double pivot for his country as well.

If there is someone who doesn't need someone behind him it's actually Rice.

Casemiro gets suspended a lot through yellow cards and red. They could even play together against tougher opponents. I think it’s most likely Berge over Ugarte though

Casemiro gets suspended a lot through yellow cards and red. They could even play together against tougher opponents. I think it’s most likely Berge over Ugarte though

I think Berge is actually a lot better than people think, he just is in a shit team, but I think we will go for Ugarte

£42m was a fair offer. They bought him for £51.3m a year ago on a five-year deal, so there is about £41m left on their books. If they'd taken our £42m offer, they'd have made a small profit on a player they signed a year ago (and Enrique doesn't rate) - that's a good deal and they should have taken it.

This is an excellent point and one most people (including me) usually don't take into account when considering these things. Easy to just see that as offering £9m less than they paid without considering how it actually stacks up in their books.

I think Berge is actually a lot better than people think, he just is in a shit team, but I think we will go for Ugarte
I agree. I also think Berge is more what we need though. His profile fits better. A physical DM with good passing range.

I agree. I also think Berge is more what we need though. His profile fits better. A physical DM with good passing range.
This whole narrative that Ugarte can’t pass isn’t right. And even if you think he can’t pass his dribbling more than makes up for it cause he progresses the ball very well.

This whole narrative that Ugarte can’t pass isn’t right. And even if you think he can’t pass his dribbling more than makes up for it cause he progresses the ball very well.
Ye maybe but do you really want a DM dribbling his way forward? This is what I don’t get. I’ve always known a DM to protect your back 4. Keep the ball simple and dictate games. You see Casemiro in matches sometimes further than the AM. That’s why we get exposed

Ye maybe but do you really want a DM dribbling his way forward? This is what I don’t get. I’ve always known a DM to protect your back 4. Keep the ball simple and dictate games. You see Casemiro in matches sometimes further than the AM. That’s why we get exposed
Then you should want Ugarte cause that’s exactly what he does. When I meant dribbling I meant getting out of tight positions or progressing when need to.

Yeah I think the midfield playmaker signing will be one of the main focuses of next summer, would say January but unless someone becomes available unexpectedly I don't see it.

Then you should want Ugarte cause that’s exactly what he does. When I meant dribbling I meant getting out of tight positions or progressing when need to.
Fair enough. I’d be happy with either to be fair. Ugarte is obviously more of the luxury option and the fans choice. But a player like Berge wouldn’t cost an awful lot so it’s low risk high reward.

Yeah I think the midfield playmaker signing will be one of the main focuses of next summer, would say January but unless someone becomes available unexpectedly I don't see it.
Could Mainoo develop into that role? Or is that not his game. I have seen him try and create chances in games before. Also Casemiro can play like a playmaking deeper role as we seen against city, he created most of our chances.

Could Mainoo develop into that role? Or is that not his game. I have seen him try and create chances in games before. Also Casemiro can play like a playmaking deeper role as we seen against city, he created most of our chances.

Still feel we need someone else like Bruno who can find those killer forward passes, think we are big admirers of Wharton so see us keeping tabs on him this season with view to approach in summer.

Kante is a DM and his job isn't to protect the back four. Its to win the ball back and force turnovers. Ugarte isnt going to sit in front of the back four, he will go hunt the ball down.

Amrabat is a DM who sits on front of his back four.

Similarly, Berge is like Amrabat and sits in front of the back four. Forfana (Monaco) will go hunt down the ball like Ugarte.

I hope it's just Mendes pushing for this signing and also feeding Romano with his agenda...I can see a world where that's true, so maybe, and hopefully, this isn't advanced at all.

A 10/10 window if we sell Lindelof, Sancho, Hannibal, Pellistri, Casemiro and Eriksen. As it stands, 8/10 for me.

Selling Mct as well would be great but we can't sell 3 midfields with only 1 coming in.

Kante is a DM and his job isn't to protect the back four. Its to win the ball back and force turnovers. Ugarte isnt going to sit in front of the back four, he will go hunt the ball down.

Amrabat is a DM who sits on front of his back four.

Similarly, Berge is like Amrabat and sits in front of the back four. Forfana (Monaco) will go hunt down the ball like Ugarte.

Maybe it's a case of wanting to sign Berge/Amrabat who are more like DM's and Ugarte/Fofana who are more like ball winners then

Status
Not open for further replies.