Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
£42m was a fair offer. They bought him for £51.3m a year ago on a five-year deal, so there is about £41m left on their books. If they'd taken our £42m offer, they'd have made a small profit on a player they signed a year ago (and Enrique doesn't rate) - that's a good deal and they should have taken it.
Exactly it’s a win-win for both teams.

Nope.

If we dont sell McTominay this summer he will essentially be worth zero since he'll leave on a free next year, unless we offer him a new contract in which case his value will plummet into the negative.

If we sign Berge, even if he performs above expectations, he'd be worth feck all. Literally feck all because no club low enough level to be interested could afford the £100k/week wage we'll give him.

If Ugarte performs on par he'll retain most of his value. And obviously has much more potential.

Put all that together and only one course makes any financial or sporting sense.

We still have the 1 year option to trigger in McTominay's contract, meaning that selling him in 2025 is also a possibility. There has been a fair amount of interest in him both this and last summer, so we are in a comfortable situation.

You're wrong on the rest as well. Ugarte would likely be earning significantly more money than Berge or Fofana, or other cheaper options. He's also not worth 50m. If he performs "on par", we'll be struggling to sell him. A 50m out of favor player who isn't anything special, and also on at least 120k/week, is going to be easy to sell? The opposite is true and it's one of the main reasons we should steer clear. You're really trying to push an agenda just because you don't want Berge :lol: Getting Ugarte now will also make it more difficult for us to get a better player like Wharton next summer

Hopefully this'll be done before window closes. Think it won't before we sell McTominay, though. Do believe we need another midfielder but that probably won't happen unless Eriksen leaves and then we'll go for Rabiot as he'd be free. Or Amrabat on another loan.

Ugarte, Casemiro
Mainoo, Eriksen/Rabiot/Amrabat
Bruno, Mount

2 players for each midfield position. And good enough options hopefully.

They don’t allow him to train and took away his locker too? Poor lad. He should be throwing in a transfer request right now

Ah so he might not even suit what we’re trying to do then? Assuming we want that line 6 who can cover defensively.

I swear a #6 is the rarest position in football these days. Every defensive midfielder apart from Rodri needs someone behind him. Joao Neves when he was being discussed as a transfer, Casemiro now needs someone behind him, during the Euro's people saying Rice needed someone to sit behind him. Ugarte, Berge, Fofana, nobody can play as #6.

For what it's worth, I watched Ugarte through-out the Copa America and he played as Uruguay's deepest midfielder. He sat in-front of their defence when they had the ball and looked to mop up anything that leaked from their counter press. The major difference from how Casemiro has played as our #6 the last few years, is he doesn't get involved in the build-up play much at all. Uruguay played very direct. Whenever the ball was played into him, he would bounce it straight back. One of the games I watched, I think against USA, he hardly received the ball from a pass.

It’s funny how they freeze him out of training and still demand a huge fee. That’s not how this works. If you don’t sell him now and then don’t play him this year his value would drop even more. You make up some shit about how he is a still valuable player but all players have a price.

I swear a #6 is the rarest position in football these days. Every defensive midfielder apart from Rodri needs someone behind him. Joao Neves when he was being discussed as a transfer, Casemiro now needs someone behind him, during the Euro's people saying Rice needed someone to sit behind him. Ugarte, Berge, Fofana, nobody can play as #6.

For what it's worth, I watched Ugarte through-out the Copa America and he played as Uruguay's deepest midfielder. He sat in-front of their defence when they had the ball and looked to mop up anything that leaked from their counter press. The major difference from how Casemiro has played as our #6 the last few years, is he doesn't get involved in the build-up play much at all. Uruguay played very direct. Whenever the ball was played into him, he would bounce it straight back. One of the games I watched, I think against USA, he hardly received the ball from a pass.

What am I reading?

Rodri plays in a double-pivot, like all the time for the last 24 months. Both for Spain and City. There's always someone protecting him in the centre, be it Stones or a midfielder. He's basically an #8 as well at this point. And then you mention Rice, someone who has just had a world class season at Arsenal with half the protection Rodri is provided with.

Last edited:
Sensible stance from United - hopefully, the club hold their nerve and PSG will come crawling back. In the meantime, United can progress some alternative options (presumably Berge and/or Amrabat).

if he's being left out of the squad there is no reason for PSG to fight and haggle over the price....just fecking sell him to us and let both clubs move on

It’s funny how they freeze him out of training and still demand a huge fee. That’s not how this works. If you don’t sell him now and then don’t play him this year his value would drop even more. You make up some shit about how he is a still valuable player but all players have a price.
Exactly, posters on here were applauding Motta for naming and freezing out all those players that weren't part of his plan, but now everyone knows they're available and Juve has played their hands.

I mean those are vastly different players you're talking about. The idea that your 3 midfielders need to complement each other in skillset is nothing new. You can play Casemiro if you have a Kroos next to him. Same with Rice / Jorginho. I think Ugarte will be quite successful as a #6 with Mainoo / Bruno as partners.

By the looks of his twitter posts He does them sparingly and with good success.

Yeah because he deletes all the ones that end up wrong. He's been about for years, he's an absolute nobody and hasn't a clue.

Easy to go overboard. Would need a lot of improvement, the team to click consistently in a way we've not seen for over a decade and also we're still short a serious reliable goalscorer

Tbh this is the time to go overboard! Pre season, new season starts on Friday where very likely we will be brought back down to reality, so for the next few days I'll dream!

In reality I do actually think that Ten Hag is a lot better than his detractors think. I think he's shown that he can not only beat the top teams but also go toe to toe with them (tbf also get absolutely spanked like in the first season). I've also seen that when he has a stable squad injury wise he is able to grind out wins in multiple competitions ala the first season. I think the squad is shaping up quite nicely. We have strength in depth in defence and I believe Garnacho and Amad are ready to have proper breakout seasons which means we may be less reliant on a streaky Rashford and Sancho/Antony. We've now got 2 strikers, all that's missing is the midfield reinforcement which hopefully we can get in Ugarte. If we do get him I think we will be the surprise package of the season.

Yeah because he deletes all the ones that end up wrong. He's been about for years, he's an absolute nobody and hasn't a clue.
Came here to say this but you already did. That account literally looks that way. If he had such good success rate he would be on the levels of Romano, who still gets somethings wrong. Absolutely no way that guy isn't a chancer.

Surely ugarte would nearly be a 10/10 window
To sign a flexible full back, two CBs, a DM and a forward represents the most logical window in memory.

Of course there’s a lot of work to do and players have to perform, but I can see the logic for once.

If we believe what Fab says, it seems the club is sticking to the valuation and not willing to pay what PSG demand for a player they deem surplus to requirements, the £42m offer the club made to PSG is more than fair.

I think PSG will budge and eventually accept it, Enrique is already excluding him from friendlies and all so they are forced to sell and United just have to wait

If we believe what Fab says, it seems the club is sticking to the valuation and not willing to pay what PSG demand for a player they deem surplus to requirements, the £42m offer the club made to PSG is more than fair.

I think PSG will budge and eventually accept it, Enrique is already excluding him from friendlies and all so they are forced to sell and United just have to wait
Crazy negotiation tactic from PSG, forcing Ugarte out but asking for more money?!

Surely ugarte would nearly be a 10/10 window
You’re never going to solve all your issues in one window, but (pending Ugarte) we’ve improved the ceiling and floor of our defensive structure massively. I do wonder if we could’ve gotten another attacker, say Olise, but I think we’re gambling on the young lads we have improving their numbers and Rashford pulling his finger out.

Status
Not open for further replies.