Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the sale side it’s been very poor.
That’s outwith our hands though. We can’t make other clubs buy our players unless we put them on sale for peanuts. Plus with them already being on ridiculous wages, makes it even more tougher to shift them out knowing that it is very unlikely that the club interested in them is going to match or better their astronomical salaries that they are currently earning.

That’s something I hope INEOS fix over time.

That’s outwith our hands though. We can’t make other clubs buy our players unless we put them on sale for peanuts. Plus with them already being on ridiculous wages, makes it even more tougher to shift them out knowing that it is very unlikely that the club interested in them is going to match or better their astronomical salaries that they are currently earning.

That’s something I hope INEOS fix over time.

Yeah those wages and contracts are nooses

Greenwood, Kambwala, Wan Bissaka isn't too bad given the baggage and wages.

I really do think we should have accepted 20m for Mctominay though.
We could still use McTominay and ETH likes him. There are other players that have no use - Lindelof, Eriksen, Pellistri, Hannibal, Sancho, Wan B - Thats 6 I see should go before him. If we can sell these in the next few weeks that would be awesome.

We could still use McTominay and ETH likes him. There are other players that have no use - Lindelof, Eriksen, Pellistri, Hannibal, Sancho, Wan B - Thats 6 I see should go before him. If we can sell these in the next few weeks that would be awesome.

Excluding AWB that is (almost) gone, he has much better potential sale value than all other 5 (perhaps combined, if I was cheeky) or at least the club thinks so.

Be disappointed if he's not sold as would end the tiniest hope of signing a couple of midfielders

The most obvious sales to happen this summer, assuming we bring in Ugarte are:

DF: Lindelof + AWB

Leaving us with Dalot, Mazroui; Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, Maguire, Evans; Shaw, Malacia. Two players for each position plus a fifth CB in Evans and a fifth fullback in Amass.

MF: Hannibal + Eriksen

Leaving us with Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo, McTominay; Bruno, Mount. Plus a fifth pivot in Collyer.

Could sell McTominay over Eriksen if at least 30m comes in. But McTominays profile is quite interesting and different and seems happy to be a squad player. Also homegrown. Eriksen is at the end of his career and will leave for free next summer anyway. I am sure he wants to play.

FW: Pellistri + Sancho

Leaving us with Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Antony; Hojlund, Zirkzee. Youth options in Wheatley and Chido Obi. Two players in each position.

Pellistri isn’t getting a look in. Sancho’s value will never be higher again, after a CL final run last year. Antony’s value can’t get any lower. Unlike Sancho he seems determined to prove himself, even if we all suspect he just isn’t good enough, he at least really, really wants to be here and work hard.

We can’t let Sancho and Antony go because we’d be left with three wide players in Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. Now if, somehow, we got good offers for both, yes I would accept both leaving and go into the market for a replacement. But I think it’s fanciful thinking that anyone is going to take Antony for anything other than a loan. Which really doesn’t help us much.

If there was a chance to get both out, even one on loan, and bring in Nico Williams, I’d bite your hand off. But I just don’t see that as a possibility.

So being realistic, assuming AWB is gone and De Ligt and Mazraoui are in….further sales I’d like to see are:

Lindelof, Hannibal, Eriksen, Pellistri and Sancho.

Incomings: Ugarte

If we were to sign anyone else, it’d either be a young versatile forward, or a young DM. But personally, after Ugarte, I’d keep our powder dry until January or next summer, to see how the new squad balance settles in, and how people are performing.

Next summer it will be about replacing Casemiro as a top priority, possibly a new LB, and depending on how players perform this year, bringing in a top class wide forward. We haven’t mentioned the goalkeeper, but that’s one to keep an eye on for next summer too, because Onana is enormously unpredictable and ultimately I think we will decide we need a top class replacement.

Leaving us with Dalot, Mazroui; Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, Maguire, Evans; Shaw, Malacia. Two players for each position plus a fifth CB in Evans and a fifth fullback in Amass.

Leaving us with Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo, McTominay; Bruno, Mount. Plus a fifth pivot in Collyer.

Could sell McTominay over Eriksen if at least 30m comes in. But McTominays profile is quite interesting and different and seems happy to be a squad player. Also homegrown. Eriksen is at the end of his career and will leave for free next summer anyway. I am sure he wants to play.

Leaving us with Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Antony; Hojlund, Zirkzee. Youth options in Wheatley and Chido Obi. Two players in each position.

Pellistri isn’t getting a look in. Sancho’s value will never be higher again, after a CL final run last year. Antony’s value can’t get any lower. Unlike Sancho he seems determined to prove himself, even if we all suspect he just isn’t good enough, he at least really, really wants to be here and work hard.

We can’t let Sancho and Antony go because we’d be left with three wide players in Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. Now if, somehow, we got good offers for both, yes I would accept both leaving and go into the market for a replacement. But I think it’s fanciful thinking that anyone is going to take Antony for anything other than a loan. Which really doesn’t help us much.

If there was a chance to get both out, even one on loan, and bring in Nico Williams, I’d bite your hand off. But I just don’t see that as a possibility.

So being realistic, assuming AWB is gone and De Ligt and Mazraoui are in….further sales I’d like to see are:

If we were to sign anyone else, it’d either be a young versatile forward, or a young DM. But personally, after Ugarte, I’d keep our powder dry until January or next summer, to see how the new squad balance settles in, and how people are performing.

Next summer it will be about replacing Casemiro as a top priority, possibly a new LB, and depending on how players perform this year, bringing in a top class wide forward. We haven’t mentioned the goalkeeper, but that’s one to keep an eye on for next summer too, because Onana is enormously unpredictable and ultimately I think we will decide we need a top class replacement.

Good post, only thing I would change is, we'll probably look to sell McT rather than Eriksen, simply because there's more of a market for McT. Also Eriksen does offer us something that other midfielders dont(creativity and long range passing from deep), so that can be useful. I'd like Hermoso too, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Ins : Ugarte
Outs : Lindelof, McTominay, Pellistri, Mejbri and Sancho.

That would be a good/very good summer imo. Next summer we can focus on a left back, couple of midfielders(DM and CM) and a versatile forward.

Good post, only thing I would change is, we'll probably look to sell McT rather than Eriksen, simply because there's more of a market for McT. Also Eriksen does offer us something that other midfielders dont(creativity and long range passing from deep), so that can be useful. I'd like Hermoso too, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Ins : Ugarte
Outs : Lindelof, McTominay, Pellistri, Mejbri and Sancho.

That would be a good/very good summer imo. Next summer we can focus on a left back, couple of midfielders(DM and CM) and a versatile forward.

Can we afford to leave all that for next summer and still be able to win Europa or qualify for Champions League through 4th place

Can we afford to leave all that for next summer and still be able to win Europa or qualify for Champions League through 4th place
If we can get a good midfielder in, I believe our squad will be in a good place, with atleast 2 players in every position, and decent depth+quality.

-------------------Onana
Dalot--De Ligt--Martinez--Shaw
------------Ugarte--Mainoo
-----Amad----Bruno---Rashford
-----------------Hojlund

-------------------Bayindir
Mazaroui--Yoro--Maguire---Malacia
-----------Casemiro--Eriksen
-----Antony----Mount----Garnacho
-------------------Zirkzee

Squad players : Heaton, Evans, Amass, Collyer, Obi-Martin

Top 4 and cup runs are definitely possible with this squad.

Insane to compare anyone to Rodri as he's a generational talent and player. The best CDM since Busquets.

But those forward passes stats are worrying for Ugarte, he's mainly a destructor who's great defensively but offers very little upfront. If we're going to dominate games that type of players won't work against top opposition. I can see why Luis Enrique doesn't fancy him, managers who want to control the ball need more complete players this one dimensional type of players are great for teams that set up to defend but we should be looking for more than that. There's a reason why no other top team seems to be interested on Ugarte.

I am afraid this has gone a bit too quiet. Perhaps we have moved on? Also, PSG already seems not interested in Sancho too.

I am afraid this has gone a bit too quiet. Perhaps we have moved on? Also, PSG already seems not interested in Sancho too.

Would've been really perfect for us if we managed to swap Sancho and Ugarte. We have enough attacking depth and desperately need someone at DM.

This comparison means feck all. I remember when Maguire won most of the stats against other PL CBs. That didn't make him the best CB in PL.
I think it's only good to see the traits of a player and Ugarte is a bit short on the forward passing department.... the rest are still good. It's not about red line vs green line.

Yeah this could be egg on face for Plettenberg who still thinks it will happen whereas Ornstein says we have walked unless we sell someone or price drops

With Doue to PSG this should get going soon, no?
That's what I thought too. I hope it's the calm before the storm. Another mafia-esque day of multiple hits with the signing of Ugarte (and 1 more CM/CB), together with the outgoings of Lindelof and McT at the very least.

A man can dream.

That's what I thought too. I hope it's the calm before the storm. Another mafia-esque day of multiple hits with the signing of Ugarte (and 1 more CM/CB), together with the outgoings of Lindelof and McT at the very least.

A man can dream.

Considering that we've made 4 signings (if we count De Ligt And Mazraoui) then there's still 18 days before the window closes. Our business before INEOS has been way more desperate and done in the very end in the previous 10 years.

I couldn’t agree more, great post.

Yeah that's brilliant, would be a pretty solid window this. However, I think given Sancho's book value we'll need to get a really good deal and it would also leave us kinda thin squad wise. I see McT leaving though, we've barely used him as a midfielder, mostly as a Striker/SS.

I think Hermoso and Rabiot on short term (2 year) deals with a decent signing on fee would also be good. We have a lot of games to play this season and I'd rather have decent cover than struggle like last season. It's essential we increase the floor of the team this window, then progressively look into improving the ceiling.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any loan (+option/obligation) deals yet too. I think we'll see some of those towards the end of the window if we don't get all our targets.

Great post but considering that we got Erikksen for free and he isn't likely to bring in much in terms of a fee, I think we should rather focus on selling McT. If we get 25m for him, we can either go for Ugarte and bring in Rabiot on a free or even Fofana to rotate with Mainoo. Both Rabiot and Fofana can play as a 6 as well, with Rabiot having better passing than Fofana and Ugarte. Rabiot has played successfully as a 6 for PSG and as he gets older, I think that is a position he will transition to. He's strong, can tackle well, safe with the ball and can pass well when the system requires him too.

That happened? The pipedream of Sancho has fallen through, then.
I never really believed Sancho was gonna happen. Best move is probably still a loan to a Bundesliga club where he can shine and look like a proper signing for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.