Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a guest on Stretford Paddock last week and started talking about how certain CBs are 'cats' or 'dogs' - apparently Lindelof is a cat and Martinez is a dog. You could tell he thought he was making some poetic, insightful analogy when in reality he came across a pretentious little wetwipe.

I mean it didn't come across that badly at all. This post does a little though.

I mean it didn't come across that badly at all. This post does a little though.
Each to their own. The vast majority of viewers were already aware that Martinez is more of an aggressive, tough tackling defender than Lindelof without having to listen to a journalist use a cat/dog analogy in a pretentious tone.

Anyway, I hope we end up signing Ugarte as he's the type of energetic all-action DM that we've missed. Feel free to translate that into whatever animal analogy you'd like.

He definitely has connections but he's far far from a transfer journalist. I can't think of a time he gave any useful transfer news.

As much as I respect him I can't help but feel he often gives a series of anecdotal bits of info that are sort of irrelevant in isolation or without proper context.
He certainly likes to tell everyone how hard he works and how good his contacts are “he’s the only member of the 99 team who I don’t have on WhatsApp…”

But nearly everything he produces is a big “meh” He’s more comfortable talking about his own life than United on his podcast, and there’s a reason for that

Am I old man shouting at clouds to hate how so much of the chat on players comes down to this percentile guff now? It’s so boring. Even if it’s potentially right and accurate, I’d rather just watch the player and make my own mind up.

I feel the same way. I think some stats give an impression of what you're getting but overall I don't really care for it too much since teams don't play the same style or system/aren't on the same level/play in different competitions.

You guys do realise there is a lot more to football journalism than breaking transfer news right? Jesus wept.

Soooo that Ugarte then. What we thinking? Or are we just going to continue disparaging people you’re obviously jealous of.

Yeah I think he's quite poor too. Tries to come across overly analytical when I don't think he comes up with that many good points. He's getting better than he was under Ole though.

Agree on the last sentence. He is better than back then. I used to think he'd only started watching football a few weeks before he started at The Athletic!

He might not be world class but I really think our season rests on signing someone like him. If we don't and Casemiro is our starter, we'll be a mess.

Oh I know. I've been saying the same thing. Personally I wanted just a true anchor/destroyer type (Onana was my preference) that could just win countless duels and constantly get the ball back. There's almost no one that can do both that and be a technical progressor from deep.

Villa are a more attractive proposition right now

The Carl Anka abuse is vile. He's a guy with an opinion. Why would you hate him for that?

The Carl Anka abuse is vile. He's a guy with an opinion. Why would you hate him for that?

People don't want to hear other peoples opinions, they want their own repackaged and sold back to them.

Abuse :lol: It’s alright to just not enjoy a journalists work, hating anyone you don’t know is sort of mental especially when they don’t matter at all like a football writer, not sure anyone hates him?

Expect focus to fully turn to this deal now as he is top target, if PSG won't budge then will sign Berge

If he can get him for £43m that would mean he costs less than Onana. Smaller fee for a better player.

Think we will meet PSG around half way on this. Close to 45 million pounds or so. We do need a DM of his ilk and I'm sure ETH would have seen that Casemiro just cannot hack it anymore in terms of covering the pitch and winning the ball high up.

To me a journalist lives and dies by his contacts in the game and Carl doesn’t have any. Hence the boring, long rambling “articles” on the Athletic. Mitten is the same, they are just fans.

Mitten is one of the most respected and highly knowledgeable United journalists going. He’s also incredibly well connected so I’m not sure where you’ve got that from.

Both of these posts are quite funny to read.

Where has he been "abused"?
he came across a pretentious little wetwipe.

Hardly a balanced and respectful take, when all Anka is doing is giving an opinion.

he came across a pretentious little wetwipe.

Hardly a balanced and respectful take, when all Anka is doing is giving an opinion.
Heh, okay. That's not something I endorse.

I dont rate Anka too highly but I wouldn't go that far in my wording :lol:

Come on man, he literally goes around the world meeting footballers, he’s absolutely very well connected.

I wasn’t disagreeing, I think Mitten is the best connected United journalist.
I was just saying that Anka has connections as well, and weirdly I’ve heard Mitten say he’s never had any real in with Rashford.

I’m not saying he’s Roy Keane. I’m saying a proper DM enforcer to stop the opposition play. The sort of player that annoys the other team and fan base. A warrior in midfield
Yeh that's the what he is. Despite the naysayers Utd have decided he's theie no1 or no2 pick for the position to add some strength and steel to our porous midfield. They have done their due diligence and decided to go for him.

2nd highest defensive action stats across Europe last season, just behind paulinha. But some on CAF would say he's not good enough, while a obscure DM they have found on football manager is the guy.

This dude or Berge next week and that’s a wrap most likely. If we do that then it’s an impressive window even if it’s dragged the last few weeks. We’ve been patient and the players we are in for know we are fully serious, we’ve also sounded out backup options across the board so we aren’t getting messed around by agents or selling clubs as much. Yeah pretty good for sure

Carl Arka says a lot without saying much. You listen to him and think wow! Then you realise he has said nothing meaningful. He can make the most boring story sound interesting.
Fair enough

This dude or Berge next week and that’s a wrap most likely. If we do that then it’s an impressive window even if it’s dragged the last few weeks. We’ve been patient and the players we are in for know we are fully serious, we’ve also sounded out backup options across the board so we aren’t getting messed around by agents or selling clubs as much. Yeah pretty good for sure
Still reckon we'll move for a LCB/LB hybrid. Really doubt Ten Hag wants to walk in with no natural fit LB. Hermoso is a free agent, or even someone more underwhelming like Reguilon. But a LB needs to come in.

LB was among our more priority positions, I am convinced we'll get 2 more bodies (CM and LB). But the LB may be opportunistic.

Would be nice to get Rabiot on a free as well.

Hopefully we can bring Ugarte in, and Sancho goes in the other direction to PSG. Would be a fantastic window.

Status
Not open for further replies.