Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
My kind of player. Aggressively hunts down the ball and takes a good chunk of the player in the tackle. Let the f*ckers know they're in for a tough ride. Not had enough of this since SAF days.
100% agree with this. Our midfield has been so weak in the last 10 years, we are crying out for someone like him. It's his second game and first start, just like with Zirkzee, I think we need to see a few more games to really see what he is about. But right now, looks like a promising signing that adds pressure to our other midfielders in a way Mctominay couldn't apply.

Some positives:
Can see opposition's move before most - great interception for Garnacho's goal.

Nicely composed on the ball - there was a few times the Barnsley players were pressing up against him and he wasn't phased and made a good pass.

Passing - No nonsense passing. Give it to the attacking players.

Positionally, it was hard to judge against a team that offered nothing.

I think he looks really promising.

He did make too many fouls in the first half but it was his tenacity that impressed me. It's his first proper game for us and he settled down and looked more composed after a while.

Already love his attitude. Like Martinez looks constantly ready to fight and get stuck in, traits I think we have missed for a while but are starting to integrate again. I liked the driving run forward too, I’m sure he has more to his game than people expect.

Ugarte is exactly the midfielder United need and have been lacking for 10 years. Just watching him last night showed me that he's a disruptor who will win the ball back and pass to more creative players.
There's a touch of Roy Keane about him that United fans will come to love eventually.

I will Give him 1-2 years befor making a decision on whether he is a good signing.

So far everywhere we he have had a super shite signing.
Mount (last year)
Anthony (2 years ago).
Hope everything goes well for 3 transfer summer for eth
1-2 years?? You clearly don't understand how the caf works...you need to formulate a strong opinion and make sure everyone knows about it after about 2 matches. Then you are never allowed to change your opinion despite irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

Worryingly poor debut. All over the place defensively and not particularly impressive on the ball. Against an awful Barnsley team too. Hopefully it’s just rustiness and lack of match fitness. But if he plays like that in the PL he’s going to rack up suspensions.

If it’s not rustiness and this is just his game, I can see why Enrique wasn’t a fan & wanted to get rid.

What the fook? Total disconnect

No single foul merited a yellow card. He may have been booked for accumulation, but standard practice is to warn the player about persistent fouling before issuing a yellow. He didn't get a warning, so he continued tackling with a degree of liberty. If this was in the league and if the referee was more strict then I'm sure he would have adjusted. People are talking as if he's a liability, yet he has only been sent off once in his entire career.
That is exactly how he goes about it.

He doesn't do stupid knee high studs like the Soton chap on Garnacho. He just goes for the scrap, often putting his body on the line which is a good reminder for the ref that it IS a contact sport and there's nothing wrong with a tussle so long as you aren't going around injuring people.

He is smart, you will notice soon enough that if he is in trouble / at risk of losing possession he invariably draws a foul.

Once he gets "minutes" and is integrated into the team, I'd be curious to see how he partners with Casemiro. Casa legs have gone so him as holding is just not what we want in the Premier League. But casa driving forward into the box, passing (when in the oppositions half), extra steel when necessary and covered by Ugarte, it could be a great combo. As much talent Mainoo has, I'd like to see him drop to the bench a bit, we cannot rely on a youngster entirely, it's not fair on him, even if he is good enough. Hopefully Ugarte helps us rotate a bit more freely.
Yeah let's drop England's best midfielder for a guy nobody will buy cos his legs are gone. Genius.

Thought first half he was okay, gave away a few sloppy fouls but probably to be expected.

Second half was good, what surprised me most albeit against a poor league one side was he was happy with the ball under pressure, decent first touch which didn’t fly away from him like some of our players and made some good drives with the ball.

Passing in general was better than expected.

No, he doesn't. He is one of the best tacklers in the world. 5 yellow cards in 25 games is also an indicator that most of his tackles are successful.
As I’ve explained again and again and again.
I go to Parc des Princes quite often, I’ve seen him play a lot, and what I say is just that he didn’t look convincing to me in Ligue 1 and he looked way off pace in the UCL, which is mostly why Luis Enrique started using him less and less.
You can use all the stats you want, Im just telling you what I actually saw from a player I actually watched and didn’t discover thanks to youtube clips once we were linked with him

Fearing this place might have a meltdown if/when he doesn't start on Saturday. I liked some of what I saw about this guy but i don't think he was up to speed in the first half. That sharpness will come eventually but i'm not sure he will play against Palace. Twente looks the better game to play him in.

Fearing this place might have a meltdown if/when he doesn't start on Saturday. I liked some of what I saw about this guy but i don't think he was up to speed in the first half. That sharpness will come eventually but i'm not sure he will play against Palace. Twente looks the better game to play him in.

Do we fear Palace now?

He'll be more up to speed than Casemiro ever will

Lads, lads, lads, Barnsley were doing everything they could to get Ugarte booked in the first half and wildly exaggerated every bit of contact.

Fortunately, the ref wasn't having it.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Unless he very quickly learns the difference between a foul and a tackle he is going to be a real liability.

He's extremely rash and will get eaten up for dinner by the referees here. They're going to be trigger happy on the cards early doors.
Yes, and unless he chances he's going to get a reputation that he can't get rid of. I bet refs are already inclined to give him yellows before he's even started a PL game.

Yes, and unless he chances he's going to get a reputation that he can't get rid of. I bet refs are already inclined to give him yellows before he's even started a PL game.
You people need to relax. He's clearly getting back up to speed. His timing will a come soon enough.

Tackles won 0/1
Ground dules won 3/10 - (whatever a ground duel is)
Fouls committed 6

Yeah let's drop England's best midfielder for a guy nobody will buy cos his legs are gone. Genius.

England's best midfielder? Come off it, he's 19 years old, extremely talented and will be a brilliant player, but he's not England's best midfielder.

My point is not about exiting him based on ability or anything else, I am just a old school believer that youngsters need to be bed into a team. For all the great stuff Mainoo has done in the last 12 months, there are many areas of his game he can improve so I don't see why he should be regarded as first team if there are other options around too.

We need to nurture him not tire him out and rely on him. You can see what that did to Rashford.

I agree with those saying it may be dodgy to throw him straight in vs Palace away, let him adjust slowly but surely to the league first, before fully unleashing him.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Unless he very quickly learns the difference between a foul and a tackle he is going to be a real liability.
Ye because he didn’t win the ball back every time he attempted against Southampton did he. Very silly thing to say.

Really liked the look of him but need to see him against better opposition. Adds some bite that we have massively missed for a long time.

Will also be part of every accumulator I do from now on. Him giving away a couple off fouls every game is a dead cert.

England's best midfielder? Come off it, he's 19 years old, extremely talented and will be a brilliant player, but he's not England's best midfielder.
At the euros I thought he was. Certainly better than Rice. In fairness it's a low bar

Last edited:
People keep panicking about Ugarte getting physical but that's what a defensive midfielder should be doing. Tactical fouls, sniffing danger and snuffing it out, reading the game and winning the ball. Sometimes he will get it wrong but he is not super man. The whole midfield and team needs to be compact off the ball and frustrate the opposition.

I like the look of Ugarte. Uncompromising and efficient. No party flurries, no pansying about. Roll up your sleeves and get the job done. He will be tested - Crystal Palace will make him work as do other top teams but the technical fundamentals in his game are there. Short, crisp passing. Evades pressure well, calm on the ball, dynamic. More to come

At the euros I thought he was. Certainly better than Rice. In fairness it's a low bar
I won't argue that he was the best performing midfielder at the euros. Either way, we probably think the same. Mainoo is the future and if he we look after him the right way, I think he will be one of the best in the world in his position. There is an incredible lack of players worldwide in his specific midfield role and I am just grateful we have him on our team.

Protection protection and protection is what I believe with him.

I won't argue that he was the best performing midfielder at the euros. Either way, we probably think the same. Mainoo is the future and if he we look after him the right way, I think he will be one of the best in the world in his position. There is an incredible lack of players worldwide in his specific midfield role and I am just grateful we have him on our team.

Protection protection and protection is what I believe with him.

Agree. But he mainly just needs to come off at 70 minutes because he runs out of energy