Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The truth is he committed 6 fouls in 60 minutes. The next closest were Casimero & Collyer with 3 each but both playing the full 90.

He simply won’t get away with that level of fouling in the PL. As others have said, he seemed to settle down in the second half, so hopefully it was just a case of rustiness and/or over excitement making his home debut.

I know we’re not allowed to criticise new signings on here until at least 12 months into their career (see Antony/Casimero/Onana) etc etc but if people think that was a good performance tonight then they’re setting their expectations painfully low. I’m sure Ugarte himself will expect much better performances as he builds fitness and settles.
Or, you could have simply said. "Ok debut but needs to cut down on the amount of fouls".

Instead, you lied and said he was "poor", "all over the place", and "struggled". It reeks of someone who had an agenda against signing a player in the first place that he's more interested in being proved right so you'll take a negative view of everything he does.

All because he made some small fouls that none of the Barnsley players gave a shit about or the ref gave a shit about. The sort of fouls Fernandinho made a career out of. And one of the "6 fouls" was a Barnsley player stamping on Ugarte's foot and somehow getting a free kick for it.

He literally bled for the team today. It will be interesting to see how he does in the PL with the accumulation of fouls. He seems to truly believe In what he said when his team does not have the ball.

You’re not allowed to say that on here. You have to pretend he was fantastic all game.
or you could be like you and make up that he was shite. It was probably somewhere in the middle.

Decent game from Ugarte, will take a few weeks to get up to speed I imagine, but promising signs.

My kind of player. Aggressively hunts down the ball and takes a good chunk of the player in the tackle. Let the f*ckers know they're in for a tough ride. Not had enough of this since SAF days.

I haven't watched the game but hopefully the myth that EtH won't start him for months dies, he'll be regular in the team.

Only caught the first half, but he looked a bit slow, made about 4-5 fouls in the first 30 minutes and was pretty hesitant to play longer passes when they were on. Collyer was rash as well and the pair of them probably gave away 10 free kicks in the first third of the match. But it'll take him time to get up to speed. Perfect environment to give him minutes.

Proper steel in the middle of the park who has the brains to hold his position. I liked what I saw.

With Martinez, him and bruno in the middle of the park, we have quite a nasty spine. If he was playing versus pool, we might still have lost but it would have been a lot closer and more competitive for sure.

so happy with have a proper DM who knows how to play the role positionally

the gaps in our midfield the last two years have been criminal

Decent first half albeit with some late challenges. He grew into the game in the second half, imposing and tidy on the ball.

Glad to see that a few mis-timed challenges results in a ‘worryingly poor debut’ :lol:

Decent first half albeit with some late challenges. He grew into the game in the second half, imposing and tidy on the ball.

Glad to see that a few mis-timed challenges results in a ‘worryingly poor debut’ :lol:

A few? :lol:

I like his tenacity, but i hope he learns quickly when to foul and when to just run alongside. No idea how he didn't pick up a yellow card yesterday, that was pretty much the most impressive thing with his performance.

He plays his role well but his late challenges will definitely get him a couple of reds

It's like all these people being surprised that a DM fouls people didn't watch Fernandinho scythe down everyone on the pitch for 10 years and get away with it.

Looked about half a foot off his normal pace which I think is why there were so many 'nearly' tackles which instead turned into fouls. One or two of the fouls were more deliberate, obviously, and I'm not opposed to a little bit of the dark arts; Martinez and Ugarte both do this well and I can't remember a top team who haven't had one or two pragmatists like that in their ranks.

I still thought his elite sense for where the ball is going to go and how to put himself in its path was visible. With a little more rust shaken off I expect he'll start to really dominate.

His strength and composure on the ball under pressure were on show too - I know some posters on here have worried he's too pressable, and hopefully they saw that's not the case.

Decent debut, liked his defensive positioning, and mostly safe on the ball, with couple of good carries. Curious to see how he fares in the PL. The accumulation of fouls is a concern, but hopefully that's down to getting used to the pace of the game, and I do think we need a tactical fouler in the team to stop counters.

Also btw, no ways he's 6ft. He seemed the same height as Garnacho, and shorter than Mazraoui who is a solid 6ft. So he's probably closer to 5'10-5'11ish.

Good debut, still early days but he definitely adds athleticism & steal to the midfield. Passing looked good if not spectacular, doesn’t dilly dally on the ball, and he looks he can handle himself when being pressed, good mobility & strength on the ball. Set up the 4th goal when he won the ball.
Some of the remarks in this thread are so far off the mark it’s beyond a joke.

It's like all these people being surprised that a DM fouls people didn't watch Fernandinho scythe down everyone on the pitch for 10 years and get away with it.

Fernandinho was great at getting away with it, but that also has something to do with when and where. Most players, and especially ours, don't often get away with that. Ugarte had quite a few situations where he came in from the side and just took out their legs in situations where the opposition player was running towards our defenders, that high up the pitch and as blatantly usually ends up with a booking. If Ugarte turns out to be immune to bookings it'll be a fantastic surprise.

Some good and some bad in last night's performance. He was quite rash in a few of his challenges but I was pleased with his on the ball work, looks a lot more technically secure than people were making him out to be.

He only needed to make a few challenges and they seemed a bit late, so that is slightly worrying. Whether that was because of lack of match fitness, focus ot whatever, we'll about to find out. He was brought to do the defending after all.

I'd not make it too big but you can only judge what's in front of you, and that opposition was not close to the level he'll be facing every week.
Very early days though, and he looks better on the ball than I expected!

Can see him getting quite a lot of cards. But in that position most players that play there do. Good to see he’s got very good positioning which should reduce the gaps. Probably helped that he played alongside another DM in Casemiro. Be interesting to see how it affects mainoos game. He should be allowed to get involved further up field now.

It's too early to make any judgements but from what I saw, he just ran around a lot fouling players. Will be good to see him against Palace but I'm not sure you can get away with that many fouls in the Prem.

Can see him getting quite a lot of cards. But in that position most players that play there do. Good to see he’s got very good positioning which should reduce the gaps. Probably helped that he played alongside another DM in Casemiro. Be interesting to see how it affects mainoos game. He should be allowed to get involved further up field now.
Ugarte, Casemiro and Mainoo/Eriksen in the 10 would help us control games a lot more.

I’m not worried about him. I likened his debut to Vidic and Evra in the sense that you could tell they were like “oh ok this is much faster” . It took them a while to settle and I expect the same for Ugarte, which is perhaps what Ten Hag was alluding to. He’ll adjust and develop and the second or so he’s late will start becoming more well timed. He’s good on the ball though and pretty press resistant.

A few posters, myself included, have hailed Ugarte for simply holding his position in the centre of the park and keeping it simple rather than vacating that part of the pitch at will, running forward, and trying low percentage worldie vertical passes all game.

It does make me wonder. Does the kamikaze, high risk style come from the player? As Casemiro came across as a safe, disciplined player in Madrid; or is it the coaching (considering the United ethos of encouraging players to take risks)?
Might this be coached put of Ugarte soon enough?

I will Give him 1-2 years befor making a decision on whether he is a good signing.

So far everywhere we he have had a super shite signing.
Mount (last year)
Anthony (2 years ago).
Hope everything goes well for 3 transfer summer for eth

No single foul merited a yellow card. He may have been booked for accumulation, but standard practice is to warn the player about persistent fouling before issuing a yellow. He didn't get a warning, so he continued tackling with a degree of liberty. If this was in the league and if the referee was more strict then I'm sure he would have adjusted. People are talking as if he's a liability, yet he has only been sent off once in his entire career.

It's nice to finally have a player in midfield capable of breaking up play, whether that's legitimately or illegally. His ability to carry the ball through midfield will also hold us in good stead when teams are setting a high press. Really impressed with his full debut.

No single foul merited a yellow card. He may have been booked for accumulation, but standard practice is to warn the player about persistent fouling before issuing a yellow. He didn't get a warning, so he continued tackling with a degree of liberty. If this was in the league and if the referee was more strict then I'm sure he would have adjusted. People are talking as if he's a liability, yet he has only been sent off once in his entire career.

It's nice to finally have a player in midfield capable of breaking up play, whether that's legitimately or illegally. His ability to carry the ball through midfield will also hold us in good stead when teams are setting a high press. Really impressed with his full debut.
Fair point I think, not sure what the ref was doing. 3 fouls should already lead to a warning at minimum I'd say, if not yellow.

Understandably he was lacking a bit of sharpness, he could be a bit of a liability for a couple of months until he gets to full fitness and up to speed with the premiership, looks like he should provide the grit we've been lacking in the middle.

A few posters, myself included, have hailed Ugarte for simply holding his position in the centre of the park and keeping it simple rather than vacating that part of the pitch at will, running forward, and trying low percentage worldie vertical passes all game.

It does make me wonder. Does the kamikaze, high risk style come from the player? As Casemiro came across as a safe, disciplined player in Madrid; or is it the coaching (considering the United ethos of encouraging players to take risks)?
Might this be coached put of Ugarte soon enough?
In Casemiro case that's clearly him following the instructions. But his vision and passing is quite good to be fair, so I have no problem with that. Attempting those passes with all the opposition defense in shape is another story as that's how we played mostly last season and it was indeed low % pass.

We'll not be doing that to Ugarte, we would've gone for a different type of player if that was the iniention.

Thought his interception in the lead up to the 4th was very good. You can see him realise that the pass is coming and nip ahead.