Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Kind of disappointed with him off the ball and equally surprised how good he was on the ball. Some of his tackles were late and too hard, like he was going after the player rather than the ball, he can't play like that in a serious game.

I guess he's the kind of player on the ball that makes a lot of "obvious" moves, but when pressed he was actually quite creative and very composed.

Happy for him and excited to see what comes next.
So did he play well or not ?

He is a butcher really. Doesn’t give two shits when going for the ball, some seriously impressive defensive actions

Nice to have a player in the midfield who isn’t another wannabe no.10.

Kept his position centrally and was always available for the CB’s.

Love his shielding of the ball, is also quite quick and can drive with the ball.

He should have had a yellow though, and double yellow if he continued like that. So many fouls, it was crazy.

Largely as the ref wanted the evening off.

He'd have gone into the book early in the prem, and he'll rack up yellow cards if he plays like that.

Hopefully just rust/excitement.
He plays like every other DM in the premier league. The difference is that every other DM in the premier league has plot armour until the 70th minute whereas for some reason our DMs get a yellow the first foul they make.

Love his shielding of the ball, is also quite quick and can drive with the ball.

He should have had a yellow though, and double yellow if he continued like that. So many fouls, it was crazy.

Fernandinho esq.

Thought he was overall a bit poor, but I'd also attribute it to lack of match fitness and tactical acclimatization. He'll be good for us once he settles

He'd have gone into the book early in the prem, and he'll rack up yellow cards if he plays like that.

He’s won the ball a lot since he came in. He’s going to get us on the counter earlier and faster which suits the likes of Rashford Garnacho Rasmus etc. his tackle started the move there for Garnachos second goal on the counter.

He's extremely rash and will get eaten up for dinner by the referees here. They're going to be trigger happy on the cards early doors.

He was unfortunately the same with PSG. He gets the man more often than he gets the ball.

I hope he’ll come good, and it’s hard to judge off his first game but I’m still not convinced
No, he doesn't. He is one of the best tacklers in the world. 5 yellow cards in 25 games is also an indicator that most of his tackles are successful.

All those fouls.. Afraid he'll receive many yellow and possibly few red cards like Casemiro in his first season. I'm sure he's got quality but will have to be careful.

I think he got better as the game went on - felt like he took a bit of time to get up to speed hence his late tackles early on.

But was v impressed with his strength on the ball, and his comfort receiving the ball under pressure.

Also loved his interception that setup the goal. Feel like he might create quite a few quick changes of possession and counter attacking opportunities.

Thought he looked great, not to bothered by the late challenges, that’ll come when he gets acclimatised to the pace of English football. It’s just nice to have someone in midfield who seems to know where he’s expected to be and doesn’t go wandering wherever they like.

His “fouling” is exactly what you need to stop play when United are being countered.

If someone with that mentality was playing verses Liverpool then maybe 2 of the goals could have been avoided.

It's going to take him time to get up to speed.

Decent display today, a lot more to come from him.

He looked a bit off pace in the first half which is natural but had some good moments too.

I really don't see why it was controversial of EtH to say he might need some time to get up to speed. Casemiro was the same in his first season.

He’ll definitely pick up a lot of yellows but looks solid all round. He played a vital part in I think it was our third goal tonight.

Worryingly poor debut. All over the place defensively and not particularly impressive on the ball. Against an awful Barnsley team too. Hopefully it’s just rustiness and lack of match fitness. But if he plays like that in the PL he’s going to rack up suspensions.

If it’s not rustiness and this is just his game, I can see why Enrique wasn’t a fan & wanted to get rid.

Worryingly poor debut. All over the place defensively and not particularly impressive on the ball. Against an awful Barnsley team too. Hopefully it’s just rustiness and lack of match fitness. But if he plays like that in the PL he’s going to rack up suspensions.

If it’s not rustiness and this is just his game, I can see why Enrique wasn’t a fan & wanted to get rid.
Ever considered journalism? That’s the kind of absolute hyperbolic bollocks they write.

Ever considered journalism? That’s the kind of absolute hyperbolic bollocks they write.

He struggled against a League 1 team, while the rest of the team were cruising. What should we be saying, wow very impressive performance?

He struggled against a League 1 team, while the rest of the team were cruising. What should we be saying, wow very impressive performance?
I dunno. Maybe consider the truth? Your post reeks of someone looking for a reaction to drive some engagement.

Looking forward to seeing him alongside Bruno and Casemiro in midfield. Lots of discipline and absolutely no yellow cards.

He definitely didn’t struggle.

He was awful in that fist half. Spent most of the half just giving away free kicks. And this was against a very poor league 1 team. If that was a PL match he’d have been lucky to get away with just a yellow card.

Settled down a bit in the second. But he can’t be conceding the amount of fouls he did today and expect to get away with it. We’ve already seen with Casimero once a player gets a reputation he becomes an easy target for refs. Needs to be a lot more savvy and disciplined. Just constantly flying into tackles won’t cut it.

His “fouling” is exactly what you need to stop play when United are being countered.

If someone with that mentality was playing verses Liverpool then maybe 2 of the goals could have been avoided.
Said exactly this as I was watching tonight!

Stick to music Posty

I dunno. Maybe consider the truth? Your post reeks of someone looking for a reaction to drive some engagement.

The truth is he committed 6 fouls in 60 minutes. The next closest were Casimero & Collyer with 3 each but both playing the full 90.

He simply won’t get away with that level of fouling in the PL. As others have said, he seemed to settle down in the second half, so hopefully it was just a case of rustiness and/or over excitement making his home debut.

I know we’re not allowed to criticise new signings on here until at least 12 months into their career (see Antony/Casimero/Onana) etc etc but if people think that was a good performance tonight then they’re setting their expectations painfully low. I’m sure Ugarte himself will expect much better performances as he builds fitness and settles.

I think you're just a person that is generally worried.

It was a decent performance, and he definitely did not struggle. Fouling a bit too much is not struggling. He showed tenacity, midfield drive with the ball, press resistance, intercepting and nice reading of the game that resulted in us scoring.

I agree he’ll probably be one of our most booked players but he’ll also help us assert our dominance in the middle of the park more often than not. The days of getting danced through are hopefully over for now. It’ll be very interesting to see how he does this weekend against a much better team against some hyped opponents but also the level of team who we need to be beating if we seriously want to be making top 4.

Seems like you watched a different game than everyone else looking at the comments