Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
We've seen a lot of decent footballers crack under the pressure once they came to OT.
I very much doubt that would be an issue with Ugarte.

The key thing he has to get to grips with is the pace of the PL and our erratic style.

I was mentioning above how his greatest attribute isn't one stats pick up on: he makes the opposition impotent. Be it harrying or positioning, he makes rival playing circuits break down.

A simpler example: does any player stat pick up a defender that expertly shows forwards onto the wrong foot/track and leads them down a blind alley where they can do nothing representing any risk?

That's what he does exceptionally well centrally, blunting the opposition and confining them to wingplay as Plan A. This is a different setting he needs to adapt to, but he does have the requisite awareness and reading of the game.

I very much doubt that would be an issue with Ugarte.

The key thing he has to get to grips with is the pace of the PL and our erratic style.

I was mentioning above how his greatest attribute isn't one stats pick up on: he makes the opposition impotent. Be it harrying or positioning, he makes rival playing circuits break down.

A simpler example: does any player stat pick up a defender that expertly shows forwards onto the wrong foot/track and leads them down a blind alley where they can do nothing representing any risk?

That's what he does exceptionally well centrally, blunting the opposition and confining them to wingplay as Plan A. This is a different setting he needs to adapt to, but he does have the requisite awareness and reading of the game.

You've touched on an important point, which is the limited value of statistics. There are so many intangible aspects to a footballer's game that just can't possibly be quantified. We're all excited to see Ugarte grow into the role he was brought in to serve, which includes intimidating opposing players into rushing passes or declining to make passes into space he controls.

Is this dude injured or is it Twitter talk?
He wasn't in group training today; had a recovery session instead. So even the people at the club won't know until tomorrow.

My money is on bench.

At least give him a chance. Seems to have been written off already with people now claiming Fred was a good player.

Ugarte was never going to dramatically change the team as people hoped. No one player will and some of the fans want to bury any player who doesn’t instantly put in 9/10 performances.

Until the team is set up in a coherent fashion we will not see any player look as good as they should the current playing system is not fit for purpose and baffling. We have no clear style of play and our go to method of scoring is inverted wingers cutting in to shoot all the time which renders having a CF almost pointless.

Ugarte can be a good contributor to the team if it is set up better but that can also be said about a lot of the players. The amount of criticism he is getting online with his amount of game time is ridiculous.

Man Utd 2:1 Brentford New
ETH will have sleepless nights knowing he will have to start him mid week

He's not very smart. Was only on for 10 minutes or so and the first thing he does is jump out and leave a big gap for them in midfield.

He didn't play well today when he came on but he needs time to get used to the league and our style of play. I am not giving up on him, Vidic was absolutely pants in his first few games, as was Evra! Give him the time to settle in and then let's judge him

He didn't play well today when he came on but he needs time to get used to the league and our style of play. I am not giving up on him, Vidic was absolutely pants in his first few games, as was Evra! Give him the time to settle in and then let's judge him
Yep, he will get a lot of rope from me this season too. Didn't help he came in extremely late in the window as well.

Fenerbahce 1:1 Man Utd New
His best game yet.

Regardless of being unbelievably limited on the ball, and giving away loads of unnecessary fouls.

It’s early days, but my god this looks bleak. I can’t think of a midfielder at United that I have seen who looks so poor with the ball at his feet.

A few decent blocks and tackles does not a midfielder make.

Made a fantastic block. Did well but he does walk a tightrope with the amount of fouls he gives away

Better. A few nice passes and pieces of play, some great tackles. Certainly adds some steel to the middle and its needed next to Eriksen

Played well today.

He hasn't played well in his previous games, but...

Tackles & Interceptions per 90:
Ugarte - 7.00
Mainoo - 5.00
Casemiro - 5.00
Fred (22/23) - 4.70
McTominay (23/24) - 2.64
Eriksen - 1.83

Pass Completion:
Mainoo - 88.2%
Ugarte - 86.6%
Eriksen - 83.4%
McTominay (23/24) - 81.9%
Casemiro - 80.7%
Fred (22/23) - 80.3%

And there's no reason to think those numbers will particuarly drop off with more minutes, as they're in line with his previous seasons at other clubs.

It's promising that, even without having played well, we're seeing his two main strengths (defensive output and pass safety) immediately translate to the team. And shows the areas he's an obvious improvement on our other midfield options, past and present.

And as said, he obviously played better today.

One of our better players in a very poor performance, but that on-the-ball contribution is just not good enough.

Should have just kept Fred and saved 60m if we wanted someone limited on the ball that does their best work off it

We needed a completely different profile of player

Played well today.

He hasn't played well in his previous games, but...

Tackles & Interceptions per 90:
Ugarte - 7.00
Mainoo - 5.00
Casemiro - 5.00
Fred (22/23) - 4.70
McTominay (23/24) - 2.64
Eriksen - 1.83

Pass Completion:
Mainoo - 88.2%
Ugarte - 86.6%
Eriksen - 83.4%
McTominay (23/24) - 81.9%
Casemiro - 80.7%
Fred (22/23) - 80.3%

And there's no reason to think those numbers will particuarly drop off with more minutes, as they're in line with his previous seasons at other clubs.

It's promising that, even without having played well, we're seeing his two main strengths (defensive output and pass safety) immediately translate to the team. And shows the areas he's an obvious improvement on our other midfield options, past and present.

And as said, he obviously played better today.
How many of those 86.6% are progressive passes and passes between the lines? His breaking up play was OK tonight, however, on the ball his passing stats are skewed by sideways and backwards passes that offer nothing to the team.

Honestly just wish the transfer had fallen through and we'd kept McTominay. For that matter, we could've signed Amrabat for less than half the price, or going back even further, just kept Fred.

The attempt to replace McFred only to end up with two players worse than the both of them while somehow still managing to spend a significant sum boggles the mind.

That's not to say he wasn't decent tonight based on the expectation of him - but a 'good' game for him is nowhere near good enough to make United better. Just cements our mediocrity.

How many of those 86.6% are progressive passes and passes between the lines? His breaking up play was OK tonight, however, on the ball his passing stats are skewed by sideways and backwards passes that offer nothing to the team.

Very few, he's a conservative passer. But there is also value in high accuracy, conservative passing from a defensive midfielder.

If he had the sort of passing ability you're describing, he'd be a world class midfielder we'd have payed €100m+ for. But he isn't. He's a good midfielder we payed €50m+ for. You have to have realisitic expectations for the money you spend.

Was a bit worried at the start as he wore his wooden shoes for the first 25minutes but stabilized and was very solid against the ball. Well done. But we have to make sure to increase the movement around him - he isn't the most technical player he needs good passing options, there is not enough movement to provide that.

Honestly just wish the transfer had fallen through and we'd kept McTominay. For that matter, we could've signed Amrabat for less than half the price, or going back even further, just kept Fred.

The attempt to replace McFred only to end up with two players worse than the both of them while somehow still managing to spend a significant sum boggles the mind.

That's not to say he wasn't decent tonight based on the expectation of him - but a 'good' game for him is nowhere near good enough to make United better. Just cements our mediocrity.

I think McTom kept instead of Zirkzee would have been what worked best. Hes not a good midfielder and Ugarte if h plays like today or better is a mucxh better midfielder, while not signin Zirkzee would mean hes first choice in attack off the bench or we could try and start him up front

I think McTom kept instead of Zirkzee would have been what worked best. Hes not a good midfielder and Ugarte if h plays like today or better is a mucxh better midfielder, while not signin Zirkzee would mean hes first choice in attack off the bench or we could try and start him up front
I agree - given his physicality and obvious talents, never trying McTominay up top (or at least as a 9.5 or whatever Zirkzee calls himself) is near criminal.

A better performance than some of his pther showings but still not a performance that screams he should have a starting spot in the midfield, which when you look at the options in the midfield isn't a good sign. His ball recovery was better but still gives away unnecessary fouls. On the ball he was meh to poor, another one like Zikzee who seems to be slow to react with or without the ball.

Better but surely he's just going to be a squad player at best.

He's good off the ball but like people have said, I honestly think the last thing we needed was another player that isn't great technically. We were a poor team technically for the level we're at as it was.

Did very well defensively but he is pretty much a nothing player on the ball. Doesn't try things outside of his capacity which is a positive at least but it will be tricky to construct a fully functional midfield with him as a starter.

He’ll be an absolute asset under a manager that understands we need to find a Carrick and especially understands that Mainoo is a number 10. Do this and Ugarte doesn’t need to be anything more than ok on the ball.

Some much needed ‘steel’ sure but my god he’s average on the ball.

Why do we keep buying midfielders so meh on the ball?

The minimum technical level for all purchases needs to be far higher than this, whatever the position

Last edited:
He is very good at putting pressure on someone. On the ball, however he is downright atrocious and lacks basic awareness. Absolute waste of money.

Done pretty well tonight and hopefully he kicks on. Amazing block on the line and done well to break up play and set the move off that lead to the goal.

Expect him to be back on the bench at the weekend and continue to get minutes in Europa League in the hope he starts to adjust.

Could see his next start in the EPL against someone like Leicester in 2/3 weeks time

Yeah if only we could deploy attacking midfielders with that abilities all over the pitch. Thats what successful teams are made of.

Jury still out, certainly not writing him off and I am more optimistic than most. I'd love to see Casemiro beside him with Eriksen the advanced midfielder for a run of games. Think it's the obvious solution really.

Jesus Christ you cnuts moan about his passing non stop.

It’s fine.

He keeps it simple, while performing his main role (shield back 4), exceptionally well. As shown today.

Do we expect our more progressive passers like Bruno, Mainoo, Eriksen to defend as well as Ugarte? No we do not. They have their role, he has his. We’ve been crying out for a destroyer for years and years. We have one now, who is only 23. Irrespective - his passing isn’t even bad. That’s the incredible thing. His ball retention is actually quite high. Sure, he’s not going to ping passes all over the place and through the lines - but he wasn’t brought in for that. I’m quite happy seeing him win the ball and shift it off. I’d rather that than he try some stupid pass and give the ball away inviting pressure back on.

I feel like a lot of you lot just run with the narrative (based off a predisposed agenda) that “he’s a bad passer” without any substance. feck sakes, make your own opinions up without jumping on the shite the media tried to ram down your throat before he’d even signed.