Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Thought he was the missing piece of the puzzle?

I have no opinion on him either way, I was just following the discussion about him on here. I was expecting him to be a key player based on what I was reading

I have no opinion on him either way, I was just following the discussion about him on here. I was expecting him to be a key player based on what I was reading

Even just among those who wanted to sign him, I saw very few posters in Ugarte's transfer thread arguing he was the missing piece of the puzzle. Most were still pointing out that more would need to be done with the midfield, even with Ugarte improving us.

Reminds me of when we signed Fred and Mourinho clearly didn't want him.

Sums us up. Spend all summer chasing a player, cough up big money for him, then decide he's shit and in the bin after a couple of starts.

Erik Ten Hag, ladies and gents.

Everyone is the missing piece of the puzzle, until they join and nothing changes.

The puzzle of improving is the manager.

Sums us up. Spend all summer chasing a player, cough up big money for him, then decide he's shit and in the bin after a couple of starts.

What was the plan for him to start with?

Similar to Mount, everyone knew he would not get in over Bruno into his preferred position and that if we tried to play he and Bruno together Casemiro would get reamed in midfield. Did it anyway.

With Ugarte we have brought in a guy who we knew isn't good enough on the ball to play in a single pivot and to make it work would need a deep lying playmaker alongside him, which is a player Utd don't have.

Next level planning.

Spend all summer chasing a player, cough up big money for him, bench him after a couple of starts, devalue the player and become lumbered with him until the contract runs down.

Erik Ten Hag, ladies and gents.
Im all for criticising the coach but it’s been widely reported :
A) Ten Hag wasn’t originally keen on the player and
B) Ten Hag said it would required at least a few weeks to get Ugarte up to fitness

Similar to Mount, everyone knew he would not get in over Bruno into his preferred position and that if we tried to play he and Bruno together Casemiro would get reamed in midfield. Did it anyway.

With Ugarte we have brought in a guy who we knew isn't good enough on the ball to play in a single pivot and to make it work would need a deep lying playmaker alongside him, which is a player Utd don't have.

Next level planning.
Erik has proven, time and time again, that he's absolutely hopeless at profiling players, but as you mention, the real problem is his system.

There's a place for Ugarte in the team but because he can't work in the single pivot, he becomes utterly useless.

It's just so frustrating.

Need to try and play to his strengths rather than cram him into our system that doesn't work.

Get him to sit with the CBS and get 2 box-to-box next to him.
He wins it... His strength.... Gives it to mainoo/ mount to push forward

If he is not injured, then why on earth did he not play today? How can he be out of the picture so soon? No words. 6 Ten Hag signings on the bench today. Bought to retrieve the ball, but then suddenly we are playing Eriksen Mainoo Fernandes instead. No clue whats going on.

Need to try and play to his strengths rather than cram him into our system that doesn't work.

Get him to sit with the CBS and get 2 box-to-box next to him.
He wins it... His strength.... Gives it to mainoo/ mount to push forward
The day we build a system around Manuel fecking Ugarte is the day the club's finished.

Who wants to play to his 'strengths' of chasing the ball like a dog with a plastic bag, bundling in to people, then making 5 yard unpressured passes to whoever happens to be closest to him?

There js
The day we build a system around Manuel fecking Ugarte is the day the club's finished.

Who wants to play to his 'strengths' of chasing the ball like a dog with a plastic bag, bundling in to people, then making 5 yard unpressured passes to whoever happens to be closest to him?
I don't care anymore how we play..
We need to win games.. and defend , run
Our midfielders can't do that .. too old ..
Cant run ..
Put him in..
Is he worse than Rodgers, Jaden from Aston Villa
Let's see how he plays ..
And let's start winning..

I was not a fan of this signing and he's already struggling to be first choice midfielder, having a player like him screams same old counter attacking football instead of becoming a side better in possession.

I genuinely don't understand fans. It is widely acknowledged that Ten Hag is a borderline disastrous manager yet you have written Ugarte off because he is not starting games for the said awful manager.

If we acknowledge that the manager is awful then why is a player's inability to get minutes under him seen as a bad thing? He's a terrible manager and judge of talent. At this point, it is better to not play for this clown of a manager than it is to play for him. All of his mainstays are utter garbage and led us to lofty heights of 6th and 8th place.

It is no badge of honour to start regularly for Erik Ten Hag and not starting for him says sweet FA about a player's ability.

I was not a fan of this signing and he's already struggling to be first choice midfielder, having a player like him screams same old counter attacking football instead of becoming a side better in possession.
Struggling? He is better than the alternatives, yet ten Hag won't play him. Explain that brilliant decision from our extraordinary manager, will you?

Erik has proven, time and time again, that he's absolutely hopeless at profiling players, but as you mention, the real problem is his system.

There's a place for Ugarte in the team but because he can't work in the single pivot, he becomes utterly useless.

It's just so frustrating.
Ugarte isn’t a ETH signing

Just read a report that says he’s already regretting his decision to join United :lol:
I’d be more concerned if he didn’t regret it

I love United but there’s no way I’d play for them right now if I was any good

I wonder what a double pivot of Ugarte and Martinez would look like, giving a solid base for Bruno to just go full freedom mode

De Ligt/Harry and Yoro at the back

When Kobbie Mainoo broke through, he was the one dropping the deepest to start the build up. His press resistance and ability to carry the ball made him perfect for it. Then he scores a few goals and we’ve totally stopped letting him be the guy to build up play. I do not understand the obsession with always wanting midfielders to become scorers in England. Kobbie Mainoo should be developing his game to become a controlling midfielder. He doesn’t even have the engine to be this B2B guy we’ve seen him being played as of late.

I believe if Kobbie Mainoo is the one building up play, it gives Ugarte the license to then roam and hunt down the ball. Ugarte shouldn’t be our deepest midfielder, especially when we’re building up play. He just doesn’t have the skill set for it. I mean that was the main reason Enrique wanted him gone from PSG.

Next level planning.
I feel this is pretty accurate. I’m still hoping he can step it up and/or that Ten Jag figures out a formation that isn’t shit. The only newish signing that hasn’t laid an egg is Mazraoui, and he was the only signing I was sure would not be good enough, ha ha.

We can’t be judging this lad yet, everything is stacked against him. If you watch the games you will know deep down that one cm is not going to dramatically change things.

Central midfield is the hardest position in this team due to the way it’s set up and the defensive structure which seems non existent most of the time.

I can’t work out if it’s all bad setup or there is a severe lack of attacking players helping the defence out. When watching it looks like they are not tracking back and putting in the hard miles compared to other teams. Not sure this is strictly true as the running data may disagree but teams like city and pool under Klopp looked relentless out of possession where as we always look over run.

Ugarte will be effective in a cohesive team, he’s not a great ball player but is safe in possession, works hard, has a good engine and should provide backup and security to other players - I’m thinking Mainoo here. There is no hiding we need a creative cm and it was a shame we made no move for Alexis McAllister as he looked ideal but this can’t be laid on Ugarte.

In summary give him a fair chance he may have been purchased as part of a changing of mentality as it seems he’s a very hard working player and that is definitely the place to start.

Ugarte will be effective in a cohesive team, he’s not a great ball player but is safe in possession, works hard, has a good engine and should provide backup and security to other players

That’s simply not good enough for a Manchester United midfielder. Or at least the Manchester United that we used to be.

It’s certainly not good enough for a player that we spent circa £50 million on. He’s going to have to show a lot more then just being safe and working hard to justify his signing.

Fkin incredible to read some of the posts on here saying he's shite, needs to justify his signing, hasn't done enough....feck me!
Give him a chance, hes barely played, he's started literally one game in the Prem, one game in the EFL cup and one game in the Europa, but all of a sudden he's useless?? Jesus wept, some of you need to give your hard drives a reset.

If you want to vent anywhere, vent towards the current "poster boy who can't do any wrong" Mainoo.
He's started almost every game and done sod all.

That’s simply not good enough for a Manchester United midfielder. Or at least the Manchester United that we used to be.

It’s certainly not good enough for a player that we spent circa £50 million on. He’s going to have to show a lot more then just being safe and working hard to justify his signing.
I still think he'll come good, or maybe the right word is I am still hopeful he comes good, I want to see him in a team that is performing, cohesive, with a way of playing that a player can be expected to get used to, as of now, the team is a mess, disjointed and disorganized, no settled back 4, no settled front 3, midfield is chopped and changed, very open to counters, and a lot more issues, obviously the jury is still out and even if the team starts to perform, he'll need to show a lot more than being a safe passer.