Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Clock should be ticking on his United career.

Next summer a new LB will be top of the wanted list if Shaw doesn’t get himself back fit.

Chop chop fatty!

People massively over rate a lot of Utd players, Shaw, Martial, Maguire, AWB, McT. None of them will ever be missed.

Just look at quickly people changed their tune on AWB, all it took was a few games from a full back who can control and pass a ball and get forward to support the attack.

It'll be the same with Shaw, once we see a left back who can get up and down the pitch and isn't injured or carrying a knock 50% of the time. Nobody will give a shit that he's not around anymore.
There's a significant difference between someone like Wan-Bissaka who was serviceable on his day and excelled at one thing and a player like Luke Shaw who is pretty complete and among the best in his position when fit.

The problem with Luke Shaw, as always, is injuries. He will need to be replaced for that reason because there's no use in having a player like him as the starter when he's rarely available, but that doesn't detract from his actual quality as a footballer.

Duty of care? Guy was injured the whole season, risked himself playing for England in the Euros, and then got injured again.
Did he get injured with England?

No. He sustained the latest injury during pre-season training. You'd need a lot of evidence to link the current injury to the few minutes he played at the Euros.

I really rate him but he should be kicked out of the club for this. If it was any other nation the press would be having a field day with it.
Kicked out of the club for getting injured while participating in the club's pre-season training regime? That's a new one!

We know Shaw will probably get injured. It's down to the club to get someone in as cover. They've failed to do this for a decade.

There's a significant difference between someone like Wan-Bissaka who was serviceable on his day and excelled at one thing and a player like Luke Shaw who is pretty complete and among the best in his position when fit.

The problem with Luke Shaw, as always, is injuries. He will need to be replaced for that reason because there's no use in having a player like him as the starter when he's rarely available, but that doesn't detract from his actual quality as a footballer.

It kind of does. Doesn't matter how good you are, if you're rarely fully fit then your supposed quality isn't worth talking about.

It kind of does. Doesn't matter how good you are, if you're rarely fully fit then your supposed quality isn't worth talking about.
Nowhere near as good as people make him out to be either, that was 3/4 years ago.

In his last fuller season he was nest, tidy, composed and solid. Not dynamic, not creative and not ground breaking amymore at all.

Which is why I acknowledged he will need to be replaced. It actually should've happened in the summer just gone given his deputy hasn't been seen for over a year!

The comment in bold was made with the Wan-Bissaka comparison in mind.

How many more years on his contract?

If we are planning to be challenging at the end of this 5 window cycle he can’t be seen as a mid to long term option.

We are being linked with Kerkez in January. Or we may see Davies join on a free, with perhaps Chilwell coming in for 6 months on loan. If he performs and stays injury free I could see us sign him in addition to Davies.

Clock should be ticking on his United career.

Next summer a new LB will be top of the wanted list if Shaw doesn’t get himself back fit.

Chop chop fatty!

Hes 30 next summer, and averaged 21 league appearances in last 3 seasons. Genuinely think he had the talent to be a world class full back if he could have remained fit, and he has performed brilliantly at times, but its time to part ways. I really like him, but his injury record is poor and cant see it suddenly improving in his 30s

Interestingly, has only played about 50 games more for us than Phil Jones did. Obviously Jones joined earlier, but he basically wasnt even a squaf player for his final 4 years so it more than balances out.

I'm not interested in a world class conversation and I don't think Shaw is world class.

DiMarco
Hernandez
Robertson
Udogie

These are all better players than Shaw in my opinion and by far out do him in attacking play. Shaw has a lot of ability but I think he plays well for short periods and because he's often injured he gets overhyped.

You have listed about two that are gettable for us, only one who is young. One is arguably a LWB.

Shaw for example was better than Udogie before he appeared for Spurs.

So this thing that Shaw is Overrated is something I don't agree with.

There is such few genuinely great LB in the game that when Shaw was on top form people calling him the best in the world alongside Robertson wasn't over hyping him.

The LB market is crappie and one player we have been linked with is the 26 yr old Antonee Robinson of Fulham which shows the level of LB market that is available to us.

Shaw can't be counted on as our first team LB anymore because he is simply too injury prone - but calling him overrated when fit is wrong in my eyes.

The last great LB was probably Marcelo or Jordi Alba if you exclude the 30 year old Robertson from the list which shows the generational stall imo.

You mentioned a top 4 that's better than Shaw in your eyes - but if Shaw doesn't even get in to the top 10 in the world I find that crazy.

Rated fine whilst being injury prone so makes him too inconsistent due to his injuries which makes him look like or feel like he is Overrated.

Arsenal & City had Zinchenko the last couple of years at LB :lol:

Which should put some context on to the LB's available.

RB's on the other hand....

You have listed about two that are gettable for us, only one who is young. One is arguably a LWB.

Shaw for example was better than Udogie before he appeared for Spurs.

So this thing that Shaw is Overrated is something I don't agree with.

There is such few genuinely great LB that when Shaw was on top form people calling him the best in the world alongside Robertson wasn't over hyping him.

The LB market is crappie and one player we have been linked with is the 26 yr old Antonee Robinson of Fulham which shows the level of LB market that is available to us.

Shaw can't be counted on as our first team LB anymore because he is simply too injury prone - but calling him overrated when fit is wrong in my eyes.

The last great LB was probably Marcelo or Jordi Alba if you exclude the 30 year old Robertson from the list which shows the generational stall imo.

You mentioned a top 4 that's better than Shaw in your eyes - but if Shaw doesn't even get in to the top 10 in the world I find that crazy.

Rated fine whilst being injury prone so makes him too inconsistent due to his injuries which makes him look like or feel like he is Overrated.

Arsenal & City had Zinchenko the last couple of years at LB :lol:

Its a short list off the top of my head, did you expect me to produce a list like a scout?

Shaw is not a genuinely great left back when he is fit, he is a good one. I believe he is overrated per my original post. His performances when fit were good, but people acting as if he was playing like an in form Robertson, he was not.

The LB market is not crappy, being linked with Robinson does not mean he is the only available player, we were also linked with Gironas Miguel Gutierrez during the summer and there is also bound to be top talent out there to unearth as Spurs did Udogie.

Its also irrelevant what you thought about Udogie before he got to Spurs because I very much doubt you was watching Udinesse

Its a short list off the top of my head, did you expect me to produce a list like a scout?

Shaw is not a genuinely great left back when he is fit, he is a good one. I believe he is overrated per my original post. His performances when fit were good, but people acting as if he was playing like an in form Robertson, he was not.

The LB market is not crappy, being linked with Robinson does not mean he is the only available player, we were also linked with Gironas Miguel Gutierrez during the summer and there is also bound to be top talent out there to unearth as Spurs did Udogie.

Its also irrelevant what you thought about Udogie before he got to Spurs because I very much doubt you was watching Udinesse

But that doesn't matter - Gutierrez or Udogie has never hit the heights that Shaw has even if his heights are not great.

I'm not doubting that Shaw needs to be replaced - which is fine if we get gutierrez or udogie - but calling him overrated is a totally different ball game to naming players that could replace him.

Shaw at his best wasn't as good as Robertson who was the world's best LB, but he was better than most clubs LB's when he was fit 2 years ago especially during his international games for England.

So calling him overrated and then mentioning Gutierrez & Udogie as younger alternatives is two different ball games.

After Alba, Marcelo, Alaba before he turned LCB, Robertson- Shaw was in contention of being in the next best 3 LB's in the world

Not Zinchenko
Not Di Marco
Barely Hernandez
Barely Alphonso Davies.

He was not overrated just because the LB's were crappie.

But that doesn't matter - Gutierrez or Udogie has never hit the heights that Shaw has even if his heights are not great.

I'm not doubting that Shaw needs to be replaced - which is fine if we get gutierrez or udogie - but calling him overrated is a totally different ball game to naming players that could replace him.

Shaw at his best wasn't as good as Robertson who was the world's best LB, but he was better than most clubs LB's when he was fit 2 years ago especially during his international games for England.

So calling him overrated and then mentioning Gutierrez & Udogie as younger alternatives is two different ball games.

After Alba, Marcelo, Alaba before he turned LCB, Robertson- Shaw was in contention of being in the next best 3 LB's in the world

Not Zinchenko
Not Di Marco
Barely Hernandez
Barely Alphonso Davies.

He was not overrated just because the LB's were crappie.

I don't think Robertson was the worlds best lb. Your opinion of Shaw just does not align with mine and that is fine.
For me he was always lacking in his attacking contribution, especially in this modern game

When is Shaw actually gonna play again? Aston Villa away 6th October or after International Break? Same with Malacia.

I'm getting fed up with these two being on the books and both unavailable the past 15 months.

Shaw should be told Man Utd before England. I wonder does he realise how hated he is due to his fitness.

Absolutely infuriating he played in June & July for England and somehow won't play again till October.

Shaw is not fit for purpose.

When is Shaw actually gonna play again? Aston Villa away 6th October or after International Break? Same with Malacia.

I'm getting fed up with these two being on the books and both unavailable the past 15 months.

Shaw should be told Man Utd before England. I wonder does he realise how hated he is due to his fitness.

Absolutely infuriating he played in June & July for England and somehow won't play again till October.

Shaw is not fit for purpose.
Being unfair to Malacia. Has had one bad injury and hasn’t proven to be injury prone unlike shaw

Being unfair to Malacia. Has had one bad injury and hasn’t proven to be injury prone unlike shaw
Shaw is injury prone because he suffered a devastating double fracture of his leg while playing for United aged 19.

Shaw is injury prone because he suffered a devastating double fracture of his leg while playing for United aged 19.
Yeah maybe I put it badly. My point being that this is Malacia’s first serious injury so a bit harsh to include him in a moan about shaw

I remember that leg break. Just when he’d started to play really well too. He’s been very unlucky and people around here are very harsh on injured players.

I do rate Shaw, but as we move into the era of the Squad Cost Rule, there's just no way to justify having him on the payroll.

He's reportedly on ~£10m-a-year. He played 14 games last season, so we're looking at a player who is supposedly worth around three quarters of a million quid every time he walks onto the pitch. He's good, but he's very, very far from being that good.

So we're kind of shooting ourselves in the foot keeping him on in any capacity. If he ends up being fit in the summer and we can find a buyer, he's a player that ought to be moved on, in my opinion.

Nope.

He is injury prone because he is an unprofessional fat bastard who is always out of shape.

You think being overweight for his whole career has nothing to do with his frequent injuries?

The only time Shaw puts any effort, is to get his fat ass to the open buffet.

Shaw may be injury prone, but no way he's an average player. Such a shame.

Nope.

He is injury prone because he is an unprofessional fat bastard who is always out of shape.

You think being overweight for his whole career has nothing to do with his frequent injuries?

The only time Shaw puts any effort, is to get his fat ass to the open buffet.
If he was overweight he wouldn't have made it in the PL to begin with. Or he wouldn't be picked by the likes of Poch, LVG, Jose, Ole and ETH as a definite starter.