Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

I said we should have got rid of him after the Euros, he's nearly always injured.

Incredible that we didn't sign a LB to fill the position, especially when our second LB is also always injured.

I said we should have got rid of him after the Euros, he's nearly always injured.

Incredible that we didn't sign a LB to fill the position, especially when our second LB is also always injured.

In fairness Malacia has just had one long injury layoff, I don't think anyone could have predicted it at the time. Shaw's been injured for long periods over and over again. He's only started 1 game since February, that was the Euros final.

Definitely did need at least 1 left back in, but looking at this stage like it's 2 left backs, one starter and a backup.

Shaw is done, he needs to go. Malacia has been out for almost 18 months at this stage. He is going to need moving on too.

No one will buy him. Even if by some miracle they did his wages are too high. Were stuck with him until his contract expires.

How is that possible that he was injured for the whole season, played some minutes in the Euro, and back to injured again when the season starts? I mean, he was injured but he isn't even close to the squad, right?
I wouldn't be surprised if he took pain injections for the Euros only to feck himself up even more for us.

I think he's fine and is being punished for not putting his employer first. Just my opinion.

how many years left on his contract? is there a database somewhere that has the years of contracts remaining for the players? this is simply atrocious as regards to his unavailability.

We need him back ASAP. Dalot is good (as a back up for Maza) but he is not a left back and Amass is not yet ready

Should be the first player out of the door in the summer even if we get 5m for him, followed by Mount.

Should be the first player out of the door in the summer even if we get 5m for him, followed by Mount.

Even if we only gert 15-20 games a season out of him, Shaw is worth keeping, he makes a massive difference when he plays.

Let's not forget that his recent injury issues were not helped by him been rushed back by us, and Southgate been stupid and taking him to the Euros, which is not his fault.

Even if we only gert 15-20 games a season out of him, Shaw is worth keeping, he makes a massive difference when he plays.

Let's not forget that his recent injury issues were not helped by him been rushed back by us, and Southgate been stupid and taking him to the Euros, which is not his fault.
ha yes, because it was just recently he has had injury issues.

When fit he’s probably best left back in the league.
Just can’t stay fit.
The latest bout is maybe not his fault as he was rushed back by Southgate, but if he can’t play 30+ games this season then we have to get a viable alternative

I don’t think so hey. It means you’d need a backup to be as good as to him, basically, otherwise the drop off in quality for over half a season is something you’d need to deal with. That’s not how you built a stable/consistent team, capable of challenging IMO. And I’m someone who likes shaw/believes in his quality. But he’s just too unreliable.

I believe he is out with injury again but it is weird that he was out for most of last season, magically turns up fit for the Euros and now is out again with a long term injury. What is this time?

I don’t think so hey. It means you’d need a backup to be as good as to him, basically, otherwise the drop off in quality for over half a season is something you’d need to deal with. That’s not how you built a stable/consistent team, capable of challenging IMO. And I’m someone who likes shaw/believes in his quality. But he’s just too unreliable.

Where do you find a back up as good as Shaw? He is so far above any other player we are likely to sign to replace him that he is worth perservering even if just to show us what we are missing when he is out injured.

I don't know this arguement, but it seems a poor one.
That's what you are getting at. By saying "nothing like this before" you are suggesting that Shaw being injured for 220 days in 23/24 as some sort of anamoly. When the fact is its on par with Shaw's career at United in the past 10 years. He has been a regular hospital case in the past decade. Some 20 days or 30 days more or less doesn't really matter.

Other players being worse than Shaw, when available, is not really a brownie point for Shaw. No one questions Shaw's abilities, but player availability is key to any team's plans. You can be the best player in your position, but if the team cannot rely on you to be available, then it makes it moot.

Where do you find a back up as good as Shaw? He is so far above any other player we are likely to sign to replace him that he is worth perservering even if just to show us what we are missing when he is out injured.
That’s the point - no one being at or close to Shaw’s level would be willing to play second fiddle to “when shaw is fit”. So it’s difficult to build a consistent and winning team when your supposed top players are only available for half the season, if that.

That’s the point - no one being at or close to Shaw’s level would be willing to play second fiddle to “when shaw is fit”. So it’s difficult to build a consistent and winning team when your supposed top players are only available for half the season, if that.

I struggle with this, more so are there are so many other reasons why aren't building a 'consistent and winning team' just now.

Shaw is about as good as we've got when he plays, and we'd be idiots to get rid for an inferior player just because he might play more games.

I struggle with this, more so are there are so many other reasons why aren't building a 'consistent and winning team' just now.

Shaw is about as good as we've got when he plays, and we'd be idiots to get rid for an inferior player just because he might play more games.
Yep, there are loads of reasons - I never said otherwise. We can agree to disagree on this anyway. I’m actually quite a big Shaw fan but his unavailability is becoming a massive liability to the team.