Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Massively overrated when fit in my opinion, he's a good player but there are some very good left backs around who can actually stay fit.

The man is unbelievable. When he wasn't playing the first game of this season I thought ETH was playing it safe with him but if he's back after October internationals that's already like 3 months out. The feck he's done to himself during the summer to be out this long already? :lol:

Surely we should be moving him on next summer? Makes no sense keeping him when he's fit to play like 20 games a season.

The quote is misleading to be fair. Ten Hag actually said he should be back before, but there's a possibility it might be after. It sounds more like they want to take absolutely zero risks with him.

Doesn't change the fact that Shaw does miss too much football, but I think part of the problem last season (for everyone) not just him was the lack of bodies meant that players were chucked back in immediately and broke again. Hopefully ten Hag's caution implies a more sensible management of him.

Really hope we start giving some Europa league games to Amass, at least as a sub to gauge how he is and start preparing for the future from next season. Promote from within or get a new starting XI LB …. Both Dalot and Nous are perfect for RB and playing either at LB negates our attack to some extent

Really hope we start giving some Europa league games to Amass, at least as a sub to gauge how he is and start preparing for the future from next season. Promote from within or get a new starting XI LB …. Both Dalot and Nous are perfect for RB and playing either at LB negates our attack to some extent
I agree.
Amass and Collyer should at least be playing Carabo and Europa games this season.
Just play Harry and Evans as the cbs as well.

Massively overrated when fit in my opinion, he's a good player but there are some very good left backs around who can actually stay fit.
I think he is our most overrated player. A good player but some hype him a lot.

The man is unbelievable. When he wasn't playing the first game of this season I thought ETH was playing it safe with him but if he's back after October internationals that's already like 3 months out. The feck he's done to himself during the summer to be out this long already? :lol:

Surely we should be moving him on next summer? Makes no sense keeping him when he's fit to play like 20 games a season.

Most definitely.

The quote is misleading to be fair. Ten Hag actually said he should be back before, but there's a possibility it might be after. It sounds more like they want to take absolutely zero risks with him.

Doesn't change the fact that Shaw does miss too much football, but I think part of the problem last season (for everyone) not just him was the lack of bodies meant that players were chucked back in immediately and broke again. Hopefully ten Hag's caution implies a more sensible management of him.
It doesn't make a huge difference to be fair if he's back right before the international break or right after it. Especially with Shaw. :lol:

Shaw doesn't need the excuse of rushing back from injury though, he's been injury prone throughout his career with us. In his 10 years with us he's had like 1 year where he was relatively injury free.

Edit : The below is from transfermarkt. Complete and utter joke he's been allowed to stay this long. :lol:

I can understand us not going for a left back this season as we have to make squad space for it and we already have 2 LBs on our books(who no one would take even if we tried as they were injured). Next summer though, he should moved on as first priority.

SeasonDaysInjuriesGames missed
24/2548 days17
23/24205 days234
22/2313 days13
21/2285 days418
20/2189 days218
19/2091 days323
18/1953 days411
17/18190 days132
16/17176 days230
15/16288 days164
14/15121 days431
12/1317 days1

Last edited:
We need him back.
No one else in the squad can get near the quality that Luke brings to the side.

People massively over rate a lot of Utd players, Shaw, Martial, Maguire, AWB, McT. None of them will ever be missed.

Just look at quickly people changed their tune on AWB, all it took was a few games from a full back who can control and pass a ball and get forward to support the attack.

It'll be the same with Shaw, once we see a left back who can get up and down the pitch and isn't injured or carrying a knock 50% of the time. Nobody will give a shit that he's not around anymore.

I think people are too harsh on Shaw personally. The club should look to move him on but there’s a bit of a duty of care there too.

Shaw was just a 20 year old kid when he suffered that double fracture playing for us in the Champions League. At the time everyone was gutted for him and feared what the long term implications would be on his career with such a devastating injury. Well here we are… we know what complications it’s caused and ten Hag has confirmed that Shaw’s injury woes are an ongoing concern caused by that injury that he’s going to deal with for his career and beyond.

So it’s a difficult on imo. Cut throat world of competitive football suggests he should have been sacked off a while ago. Compassionate football club that looks after its players when they’re injured in the line of duty and gives them every chance to have the career they hoped when they joined suggests it’s not so bad accommodating him but we really should invest better in alternatives.

I think people are too harsh on Shaw personally. The club should look to move him on but there’s a bit of a duty of care there too.

Shaw was just a 20 year old kid when he suffered that double fracture playing for us in the Champions League. At the time everyone was gutted for him and feared what the long term implications would be on his career with such a devastating injury. Well here we are… we know what complications it’s caused and ten Hag has confirmed that Shaw’s injury woes are an ongoing concern caused by that injury that he’s going to deal with for his career and beyond.

So it’s a difficult on imo. Cut throat world of competitive football suggests he should have been sacked off a while ago. Compassionate football club that looks after its players when they’re injured in the line of duty and gives them every chance to have the career they hoped when they joined suggests it’s not so bad accommodating him but we really should invest better in alternatives.
Surely if that is the case, Shaw should also have a sense of duty towards the club that's been paying him for years, shouldn't he?

I can understand his ambitions but did it really make sense for him to be pushing himself to play for England at the Euros just so he can end up starting 1 fecking match? Wouldn't it be better if he focussed on being ready for the start of this season?

Surely if that is the case, Shaw should also have a sense of duty towards the club that's been paying him for years, shouldn't he?

I can understand his ambitions but did it really make sense for him to be pushing himself to play for England at the Euros just so he can end up starting 1 fecking match? Wouldn't it be better if he focussed on being ready for the start of this season?
Conversely he hadn’t played for about 5 months. If his return from injury coincided with the Euros, the club might have determined that the best thing for him was to join the England training camp and continue his rehab and hopefully get some match fitness before returning to our preseason.

Didn’t work out, he got injured.

Conversely he hadn’t played for about 5 months. If his return from injury coincided with the Euros, the club might have determined that the best thing for him was to join the England training camp and continue his rehab and hopefully get some match fitness before returning to our preseason.

Didn’t work out, he got injured.
Looking back, it’s doesn't appear to be the case. It seems you’re giving him too much benefit of the doubt.

If a player hasn’t played for five months, the best approach would be to gradually ease them back through pre-season friendlies, allowing them to regain match sharpness. Rushing them back for a highly competitive tournament final is far from ideal.

The club, as you mentioned, has been compassionate and accommodating in allowing him to participate in the tournament. However, his sense of duty towards the club seems to be lacking, especially considering it will be three months into the season before we see him again.

Agreed. Whilst he's had some really good spells when fit he's also had his fair share of shockers. The 7-0 vs Liverpool he had one of the worst performances I've seen from a pro in the second half and he was supposed to be a senior player. Feel like him being out injured so long and us not really having a suitable replacement (until this season) has elevated his stock massively.

It doesn't make a huge difference to be fair if he's back right before the international break or right after it. Especially with Shaw. :lol:

Shaw doesn't need the excuse of rushing back from injury though, he's been injury prone throughout his career with us. In his 10 years with us he's had like 1 year where he was relatively injury free.

Edit : The below is from transfermarkt. Complete and utter joke he's been allowed to stay this long. :lol:

I can understand us not going for a left back this season as we have to make squad space for it and we already have 2 LBs on our books(who no one would take even if we tried as they were injured). Next summer though, he should moved on as first priority.

24/2548 days17
23/24205 days234
22/2313 days13
21/2285 days418
20/2189 days218
19/2091 days323
18/1953 days411
17/18190 days132
16/17176 days230
15/16288 days164
14/15121 days431
12/1317 days1

Yeah of course he has, but when you look at his overall appearance numbers the disaster seasons are around the leg break and last season. 2 of his last 5 seasons have seen him get close to 50 appearances and the one before that was 40 too. I don't mind him getting one more season to prove that the last season was an aberration, but obviously the fear at his age is it's just going to get worse from here.

We’re in serious need of a LB. Luke shaw is not reliable. Be injured again before he plays.

Surely we should be moving him on next summer?
First sign an LB. Bench Shaw and make him backup, even if the new players is slightly less talented than him.

And then maybe, just maybe, he will take a pay cut and look for another team.

First sign an LB. Bench Shaw and make him backup, even if the new players is slightly less talented than him.

And then maybe, just maybe, he will take a pay cut and look for another team.
We currently have two senior left-backs on the books. Based on what INEOS has shown this summer regarding squad management with AWB and McT, it’s clear we won’t buy another unless we manage to sell either Luke Shaw or Malacia.

We currently have two senior left-backs on the books. Based on what INEOS has shown this summer regarding squad management with AWB and McT, it’s clear we won’t buy another unless we manage to sell either Luke Shaw or Malacia.
Other option is to play Malacia even when Shaw is fit. Shaw currently has no motivation to leave because when fit, he just walks in to the team, even if he plays only 3-4 games before he gets injured again. No competition is pretty much how Shaw has survived at the club for more than decade despite being injured for 40% of his time here.

Agree with you 100%.

His legs were gone last season also with him rarely bursting beyond our left winger. He had no energy to his game at all and slowed our play down too much. Brilliant technique for retaining possession but that's about it.

While we can't sell him for obvious reasons, we should move on from him asap, rather he's at the club or not. He's cooked.

Easy to understand that he wanted to take part in the euros, but it's a gamble that has properly backfired. Injured injured injured injured -> brief cameo in the euros - injured injured.

24/2548 days17
23/24205 days234
22/2313 days13
21/2285 days418
20/2189 days218
19/2091 days323
18/1953 days411
17/18190 days132
16/17176 days230
15/16288 days164
14/15121 days431
12/1317 days1

Shocking availability

Seems to be a quite obvious joke to me?
You really can't tell these days. Some people are convinced Ugarte won't play much this season cause of the reports that ETH had to be convinced of signing him.

It's been a long time since I have disliked a United player so much. I do have sympathy for him in regards to his injury, but my sympathy is limited and stops short of it when it starts costing United. Injury aside, there are still a lot of issues with Shaw. He plays for a contract, if he needs a new contract he will play out of his skin and make himself as available as much as possible, as soon as the contract is signed he fades back and the injuries start to increase. Not saying he is faking them, but all footballers are playing with some level of injury and pain, and if you want it, you will play through that, if you are getting a big check either way, maybe you're not up for slogging it out with Brighton in the rain in April in an essentially 6 point game (hypothetical scenario).

Hard to prove, but he's long been rumored to be one of the dressing room leaks, most of the other rumored leakers are gone, the leaks have almost stopped, but there are some still there. And it's not much of a stretch, he's the first player to start throwing everyone under the bus in interviews when things aren't going good, he did that quite a bit during Rangnick's time. Let's be honest, it's going to be English players who have the connections to the English journos, it's not Antony in Luckhursts ear.

And add to all that, he's a good leftback, but he's nothing special, maybe he would have been without the injury, but we could replace him with a reliable leftback of equal quality for a reasonable amount of money and move on from what has been an issue for what feels like a decade at this point.

He's great when fit, Ole 20/21 and ETH first season he was immense. Its a shame really, he's one of the few who I'd say is worth gambling on his injury record because he is so good when he's fit and has had a good few seasons where he's not a sicknote in the past.

I agree that he is a bit overrated. He’s solid defensively and decent going forward but I feel since he broke his leg all those years back he kind of plays within himself a bit. He often just stops with the ball and plays it backwards instead of driving into the space when the team needs it.

He's great when fit, Ole 20/21 and ETH first season he was immense. Its a shame really, he's one of the few who I'd say is worth gambling on his injury record because he is so good when he's fit and has had a good few seasons where he's not a sicknote in the past.

He was good, but he also dropped some serious clangers and got absolutely roasted by Salah especially.
However the biggest issue in my opinion is his lack of attacking output. I think he is good when fit but not so good that he should still be at the club given his injuries.
He is no Theo Hernandez

Just out of interest - who are these very good LB's better than Shaw that aren't either

A) A CB playing at LB
B) A RB playing at LB

I'm genuinely asking because If I had to name one I can only think of Theo Hernandez - & he isn't exactly that great either playing at Milan.

I think LB in the market lack quality and quantity. I can only think of Ait Nouri & Gutierrez as solid LB's & they have yet to be tested out at our club level either.

Every time I mention Davies name people call him overrated - like who are genuinely world class LB's?

Just out of interest - who are these very good LB's better than Shaw that aren't either

A) A CB playing at LB
B) A RB playing at LB

I'm genuinely asking because If I had to name one I can only think of Theo Hernandez - & he isn't exactly that great either playing at Milan.

I think LB in the market lack quality and quantity. I can only think of Ait Nouri & Gutierrez as solid LB's & they have yet to be tested out at our club level either.

Every time I mention Davies name people call him overrated - like who are genuinely world class LB's?

I'm not interested in a world class conversation and I don't think Shaw is world class.

DiMarco
Hernandez
Robertson
Udogie

These are all better players than Shaw in my opinion and by far out do him in attacking play. Shaw has a lot of ability but I think he plays well for short periods and because he's often injured he gets overhyped.

Hopefully his last season at the club as "first choice". He's got away with letting us down far too long. Not his fault he's unreliable, but he's been given far too much time here overall. Shame, but it is what it is. This charity act this club has going towards its players has to end.

He's just not a player we can rely on anymore and I think we have to move him on next summer. He's great when he's available but that's so rare these days that it's causing more issues for us.

Duty of care? Guy was injured the whole season, risked himself playing for England in the Euros, and then got injured again.

Duty of care? Guy was injured the whole season, risked himself playing for England in the Euros, and then got injured again.
I really rate him but he should be kicked out of the club for this. If it was any other nation the press would be having a field day with it.

Amass didn’t make the Barnsley squad there is a zero chance of seeing him in the EL seeing as Malacia is returning